Classic Car thread

TexasEd

On 8/2/2022 at 10:18 PM, Prepuce of Doom said:

Yeah, NW suburbs (Barrington). 

Damn, my buddy Kevin lives in Barrington. Next year give me the street and the date and I will send him to that part of town.

Oh, I loved that Black Ford Escape too, 😉, the one in post #3134.

Also, I liked the Lincoln Town Car for sale in the one driveway. My mom had a 1983 white Town Car. Mom was just a little thing and she looked even smaller in that car. That one looks like about a 1986. I could be wrong though.

It's amazing just how small the original Acura NSX was. So tiny but, the look held up very well.

All in all, great pictures of some damned awesome cars. Well done.

33 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Damn, my buddy Kevin lives in Barrington. Next year give me the street and the date and I will send him to that part of town.

Oh, I loved that Black Ford Escape too, 😉, the one in post #3134.

Also, I liked the Lincoln Town Car for sale in the one driveway. My mom had a 1983 white Town Car. Mom was just a little thing and she looked even smaller in that car. That one looks like about a 1986. I could be wrong though.

It's amazing just how small the original Acura NSX was. So tiny but, the look held up very well.

All in all, great pictures of some damned awesome cars. Well done.

Ha! The Jaguar sharing the spotlight with the Ford Escape was late to the party and had to park outside the barricades with all the more pedestrian vehicles. 

I'll give you the exact year and other details on the Lincoln next year - it was for sale at last year's party, and I assume that it will still be for sale at next year's... 

• Haha 1

Went on a scavenger hunt for 4th gen Ram seats for my truck (3rd gen dodge)...long story. During my search, I come across a few Mopars.

69 satellite w/318 and a running 67 Coronet 500 convertible w/a 440.

After talking to one of the salvage yard guys the owner (not there) is a diehard Mopar guy w/a decent collection. He supposedly has a Superbird, Cuda, a superbee, and a black-on-black challenger. I'm skeptical but will stop by next week to chat. I'll try and get some pictures if able. 6eab0c4dfaac4bc7be9103585b321878.jpg06b08789d6792cbc25ec4d905751065b.jpg

c62a9cc4bbbf39a235c22f7c8d145677.jpg

4f340ae635abd8cc5b92c1f81d9ca30c.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Doomlet came REALLY close to brandishing his scrotum when I was taking his picture next to this truck and its nuts. The only reason he didn't is because he broadcast his intentions with enough time for Mrs. Doom and me to shut it down immediately. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Doomlet came REALLY close to brandishing his scrotum when I was taking his picture next to this truck and its nuts. The only reason he didn't is because he broadcast his intentions with enough time for Mrs. Doom and me to shut it down immediately. 

Thats just good raisin’ right there.
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

Fuck.  There is always something going wrong with the damn truck.  Just picked it up on Friday from the mechanic who was chasing a transmission fluid leak.  One mile from home this morning and the damn thing dies.  During my walk back home to get the other car, I was definitely going to sell the truck.  Probably not going to happen, but I just want to drive it to and from work without something going wrong.

That's it - just wanted to vent.

ETA:  1969 Chevy C-10, therefore I'm venting here with people that can relate.  

Edited by Jerry Callo
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Fuck.  There is always something going wrong with the damn truck.  Just picked it up on Friday from the mechanic who was chasing a transmission fluid leak.  One mile from home this morning and the damn thing dies.  During my walk back home to get the other car, I was definitely going to sell the truck.  Probably not going to happen, but I just want to drive it to and from work without something going wrong.

I feel you. About 15 months ago or so I had the power steering system totally rebuilt.  Walked out to the garage last week to find a fucking puddle of PS fluid under the driver side front end. Haven't had time to do any real diagnosis work. 

On 9/19/2022 at 7:07 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

Tell me you are dealing with a classic Ford without telling me you are dealing with a classic Ford.

Depending on what the issue ends up being I may consider just switching to a Borgeson integrated unit.  The Ford system is a totally stupid design.  "Hey, let's figure out how to maximize the potential failure points!!"

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Crawled up under there. Return hose kinked and split.

Witness the stupidity of this PS system.

I have never fucked with the PS before myself.  This part is very cheap.  What is the worst that could happen, it is just the steering?

33146637-C336-48-B4-B650-D6-D50-A5204-F6

B67-BD475-D282-4-FF4-9-E5-E-864-DA18770-

1464-FEF9-A6-C6-4746-8-CD0-03-B070-AE26-

It's a bold statement, but based on what I'm seeing, you can't cock it up any worse than the last guy that was in there . . .

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, NYTransplant said:

It's a bold statement, but based on what I'm seeing, you can't cock it up any worse than the last guy that was in there . . .

I think that the root cause of the problem was using a small block PS return hose but big block routing (under the frame and up, instead of up the shock tower).  The metal fitting appears to come off at different angle up, thus the kink in the hose. At least that is my diagnosis. It was switched to BB routing to avoid some non-original exhaust manifolds. 

• Rage+1 2

On 9/19/2022 at 4:29 PM, Jerry Callo said:

Man I’m looking at 70 c10 this scares me. Never had a classic. I know shit about cars other then I love them. 

4 hours ago, Anastasis said:

I think that the root cause of the problem was using a small block PS return hose but big block routing (under the frame and up, instead of up the shock tower).  The metal fitting appears to come off at different angle up, thus the kink in the hose. At least that is my diagnosis. It was switched to BB routing to avoid some non-original exhaust manifolds. 

I think your diagnosis is spot on. You’re on it, make sure you order the right replacement. It’s been awhile but I recall a shitload of confusing options on the part sites.

Edited by Mach 1
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 9/21/2022 at 6:39 PM, Anastasis said:

Crawled up under there. Return hose kinked and split.

Witness the stupidity of this PS system.

I have never fucked with the PS before myself.  This part is very cheap.  What is the worst that could happen, it is just the steering?

33146637-C336-48-B4-B650-D6-D50-A5204-F6

B67-BD475-D282-4-FF4-9-E5-E-864-DA18770-

1464-FEF9-A6-C6-4746-8-CD0-03-B070-AE26-

Call Dan at Chockostang.  He is the expert on these systems.  Mine works great now.  knock on wood.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

Man I’m looking at 70 c10 this scares me. Never had a classic. I know shit about cars other then I love them. 

Nothing inherently bad about the c10, just classic vehicles in general.  Probably one of the easier vehicles to keep on the road.  Parts are readily available.  Plenty of youtube videos and websites to help in diagnostics and repairs.  You should check out this Chevy Truck board if you're serious about getting a c10.

12 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

You either have to be willing to work on them, or pay someone who knows how to work on them.

This, for sure.  Anything I can do in the driveway in an afternoon, I do myself.  I'm not dropping transmissions, replacing exhaust, etc.

7 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Shit will be fucked up in ways that you had no idea was even a thing. And it will cost you more to fix than you could have ever imagined.

50+ year old vehicles have been fixed, repaired, modified, upgraded, retrofitted, . . . by people that knew what they were doing and people without a clue.  Always finding wonky stuff that needs to be addressed.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 9/21/2022 at 3:35 PM, Anastasis said:

Depending on what the issue ends up being I may consider just switching to a Borgeson integrated unit.  The Ford system is a totally stupid design.  "Hey, let's figure out how to maximize the potential failure points!!"

Its so fucking stupid and bad, but the overall design of the front end is bad and stupid. The geometry is terrible, the engineering was 10 years old when it was implemented and was behind the times and a copout even then. 
Had I made the decision to really lean into my 67 before I lost my passion for it I would have replaced it with a Mustang II conversion without power because fuck that design and fuck power steering, or at the very least just pulled the power shit off and added a manual drag link for $100.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

On 9/23/2022 at 8:24 AM, Jerry Callo said:

This, for sure.  Anything I can do in the driveway in an afternoon, I do myself.  I'm not dropping transmissions, replacing exhaust, etc.

In the driveway?! in an afternoon!? Wow that limits what I'd be willing to do. Hot and horrible conditions with no time for surprises or fuckups. No garage?

On 9/25/2022 at 2:26 PM, B00M said:

In the driveway?! in an afternoon!? Wow that limits what I'd be willing to do. Hot and horrible conditions with no time for surprises or fuckups. No garage?

To your point, I usually start projects at sun up.  Garage is too small and less ventilated to make it very useful for truck repairs.

• Hook 'Em 1

GT40 and IIRC this is a Shelby Daytona. Not cheap. Notice bumper sticker

IMG_0993.jpg.a7a49c4003a7001d327868cacfa62108.jpgIMG_0985.jpg.172eab2387835a7d3a20777f4cc3c52a.jpg

A friend of mine bought a barn unseen and found this in it. Not this exact car but the same color and engine - Cutlass 454

IMG_0984.jpg.abde2cdc68b6c018cc93361be5ffe96f.jpg

Just in case of fire - a hundred year old engine that still works. City tuned down an offer of 1 million for it

IMG_0994.jpg.6adc6478b0d888b531e6713fd62b553f.jpgIMG_0995.jpg.9bf1af1502fae64ad43fe4b11489c957.jpg

Edited by AUinHsv
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

IMG_0993.jpg.a7a49c4003a7001d327868cacfa62108.jpgIMG_0985.jpg.172eab2387835a7d3a20777f4cc3c52a.jpg

A friend of mine bought a barn unseen and found this in it. Not this exact car but the same color and engine - Cutlass 454

Just in case of fire - a hundred year old engine that still works. City tuned down an offer of 1 million for it

IMG_0994.jpg.6adc6478b0d888b531e6713fd62b553f.jpgIMG_0995.jpg.9bf1af1502fae64ad43fe4b11489c957.jpg

When I was a little guy in Arlington, there was a shoe store that had this exact type of fire engine in the store. The kids could climb all over it. It was great. Nice to see a working one in this shape. Thanks for sharing that.

When I was a little guy in Arlington, there was a shoe store that had this exact type of fire engine in the store. The kids could climb all over it. It was great. Nice to see a working one in this shape. Thanks for sharing that.

Wait, where was that store? Just had a synapse semi-fire but failed to fully load the memory.

1 hour ago, Party_Taco said:

Wait, where was that store? Just had a synapse semi-fire but failed to fully load the memory.

It was this store front.  If you pull up the street view, there's a little door next to the main big door.  When it was a shoe shop, I recall being disappointed because they made the little door for little kids.  But the door was never working when I was there.  Man, that neighborhood has changed a lot since I was there.  But the fire engine was right inside on the left. 

12 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

There was also one in Austin - Children's Shoe World - in Hancock Shopping Center, when Hancock was the end-all, be-all of malls in Austin. The store was in the corner of Hancock Center right next to Sears.

Finally got my air grabber ducting back from the restorer (Airgrabber Restorations). They did an amazing job! Installed it after I had to use exploding rivets instead of factory ones as the holes were wallered out. Put some gas in it and installed the hood and took her out on the street for a bit.

Just waiting on my grill from the restore guy I use for Potmetal and that's it. I also scored a date-coded oil pressure sending unit and date-coded starter relay last week for cheap. Stoked about that.

When that second 4 barrel carb kicks its's pure sex, fucking love it. I've had a lot of 440/383s but a hemi is something else. 7f5e1caf2936a535278d7846dc0d3975.jpg88c0ae1a16c77ada807f575a647e202a.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Olds used a Rocket 455 in those days. I had a 70 442.