Classic Car thread

TexasEd

What part of East Texas? Imma steal yo cars.

Not really. I’ll just ask to be added to the insurance and given my own set of keys.
We have 21 acres in Jacksonville. Headed there in 2 weeks to meet some builders.

I'm out of room for additional cars but will be adding to the collection after we build. I'm looking for a 66/67 Plymouth fury Wagon...gonna make a 512 stoker out of it for a "family" car. Also looking for a duster or dart for Mrs. MM.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

We have 21 acres in Jacksonville. Headed there in 2 weeks to meet some builders.

I'm out of room for additional cars but will be adding to the collection after we build. I'm looking for a 66/67 Plymouth fury Wagon...gonna make a 512 stoker out of it for a "family" car. Also looking for a duster or dart for Mrs. MM.

I got a coonhound from a guy in Jacksonville when I was in hs.
  • Like 1

Looks great CF! Did you say if the AC will be working when you are all done?  They wanted a shit ton to make the factory AC work in our 65, I passed on it for now, maybe forever.

Yes it’s a new a/c that looks kind of retro.

I still have the original factory interior part. Keeping it just in case because I do like the vintage look of it. Perhaps someday I’ll be able to refurbish it with newer guts.

The original isn’t worth a bucket of warm spit as far as actually keeping you cool. It’s like someone blowing their hot breath in your face. Maybe they did you the favor of sucking on a mint beforehand. Maybe not.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Better to keep at it then give up. Looking good bro!

I never really gave up. Chad Jr. came along and I parked it in the garage because, how the hell do I know how much babies cost? I kept saving and meaning to get back to it but it kinda slipped behind other higher priorities.

Then this past summer the Mrs. said, “You know if you don’t get to finishing that thing, Chad Jr. won’t care or will be gone and you won’t have as much fun with it.” Seeing she was both right and giving me the green light, here we are.

Now it’s time to plan some toad trips.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Pitching this one to the group because I could go either way.

Do I put an original chrome antenna on it to keep the original look, and nominally better radio reception as I do still use the radio frequently.

Or do I leave it off to preserve the clean lines?

I’m pondering.

Mine is power retractable, so maybe threads the needle. I'd go clean lines.  The fixed one would end up getting broke in my garage. 

A dumbass buddy of mine got into a fight in the parking lot of the place I worked at in high school, threw some guy up against my car, and broke my antenna. Was kind enough to bring the broken antenna inside and leave it with me before he bailed.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mine is power retractable, so maybe threads the needle. I'd go clean lines.  The fixed one would end up getting broke in my garage. 
A dumbass buddy of mine got into a fight in the parking lot of the place I worked at in high school, threw some guy up against my car, and broke my antenna. Was kind enough to bring the broken antenna inside and leave it with me before he bailed.   

Oh shit. Mind blown. Hadn’t even considered a retractable. I remember my Dad got an 85 Olds Cutlass with the retractable and I thought we had really entered a brave new world.

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

Do I put an original chrome antenna on it to keep the original look, and nominally better radio reception as I do still use the radio frequently.

I’m pondering.

I'm going to shave mine off.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m pondering.

Maybe because radio was a big part of my youth, searching the AM dial at night with my old man for faraway stations, and later working in radio in high school and college. I like the cool antennas of the era, like the dual slanted masts some cars had in the rear. Personally, I’d go with a manual retractable, especially since you use the radio. I think it’s functional. It’s not like putting some JC Whitney fender skirts on it.

On 11/16/2022 at 8:49 PM, Chad Fuck said:

Oh shit. Mind blown. Hadn’t even considered a retractable. I remember my Dad got an 85 Olds Cutlass with the retractable and I thought we had really entered a brave new world.

You should be able to wire it such that when you turn the radio on it extends the radio and when you turn it off it retracts. Iirc you are retrofitting the stereo  and there should be a lead for this.    

• Like 1

On 11/16/2022 at 6:27 PM, Anastasis said:

This conjured up an old memory. Playing street football as a kid in El Paso, when my older brother dove for a pass over the hood of my mom’s Cutlass. Snapped the antenna right off. A collective Oh Shit was whispered by all. I asked him what he’d do.

”Let me think about it and keep your mouth shut.”

We had to go to Gibsons or TG&Y or some shitty store later in the day. Coming back into the parking lot he said “Mom, look someone broke off your antenna!”  She bought it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

It might finally happen

So I have been in a queue for getting paint and body work so long I only know it is over a year but not whether it is closer to 18 or 24 months. A month ago I got tired of the delays from my shop and discouraged by all the cars they have in the shop at one time even though they said I was next so I called another shop to check in.  Slightly more money but they seem to get cars in and out quicker and I aint getting younger.  I want to enjoy my car not just leave it to my kids.

Today the second shop said they were moving me up in line from March to late December/early January.  So excited.  Now I'm talking to an individual and a shop on rebuilding the engine that burns oil/fouled plugs while it is at the body shop.  Reduce the amount of time the car is down and get the engine bay detailed at the same time.  I have pretty much done everything else myself and these are the last steps.  My wife actually seems peeved that I have saved for so long towards this goal and would rather I spend it on something else.  Fuck it, I'm happy and here to share the excitement with like minded people.

So share your stories, encouragement and advice.

Drivetrain Plan:

• Pull the engine, AC, Radiator and transmission
  • Give the engine to the rebuild shop for a mild stroker build (331, heads, intake, cam, stay carbureted)
  • Optional C4 to T5/TKO swap and upgrade the 8" open diff to LSD with taller gears

Body and Paint plan:

• I remove the interior except the dash
  • I disassemble the headlight buckets
  • I remove door glass and vents

Shop does

• remove the stainless trim
  • remove the front and back glass
  • Strip the paint from whole body and door jams
  • shave the fender emblems and fill antenna hole
  • prime and paint with base clear in 2part formula for the original Candyapple Red
  • Outsource the headliner install before the glass is reinstalled
  • Detail the engine bay
  • Get the glass and stainless reinstalled
  • Align doors and fenders 
  • Install new rear louvers and front chin spoiler
  • optional add a '70 Grabber c-stripe to the sides

Engine guy will install the engine transmission and diff.

I could potentially do all the following

• Reinstall door glass, vent glass and interior including Ridge Runner sail panels
  • Install all rubber seals
  • Reinstall fender extensions/headlight buckets, side scoops and qtr panel extensions
  • Reinstall headlights, tail lights and marker lights
  • reinstall engine accessories and radiator
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Guess I can cross post in the truck thread but I recently took ownership of this.  Hand me down from my dad.  He acquired it in the mid 90s in Bonham, Tx.  It’s had a recent repaint and is otherwise in great shape for its age.  Just fixing a few little things on it: new fuel sending unit, new body mounts, got the choke working right, new AC duct work, new radiator so it doesn’t overheat in traffic.  Etc. Still has the original Delco AM radio.  I put new speaker in the dash and added an aux input so I can play my phone through it.  

93A1E2DB-4788-4179-91DA-DA8C671F198B.thumb.jpeg.c008e44a54156ca1200346f65326adc5.jpeg
FF353869-9BC9-42D5-A6C4-C2A058D2DDA3.thumb.jpeg.2ddb927580e1cb86bb9981cbfcdb64f1.jpeg
C3288935-5595-4EE7-AB97-746A1DC54B24.thumb.jpeg.58576e8d1ba017dfef58613e55a7c996.jpeg
Bonham was my old stomping grounds...small world. Love the ol classic trucks.
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Lhorn said:

Guess I can cross post in the truck thread but I recently took ownership of this.  Hand me down from my dad.  He acquired it in the mid 90s in Bonham, Tx.  It’s had a recent repaint and is otherwise in great shape for its age.  Just fixing a few little things on it: new fuel sending unit, new body mounts, got the choke working right, new AC duct work, new radiator so it doesn’t overheat in traffic.  Etc. Still has the original Delco AM radio.  I put new speaker in the dash and added an aux input so I can play my phone through it.  

93A1E2DB-4788-4179-91DA-DA8C671F198B.jpeg

FF353869-9BC9-42D5-A6C4-C2A058D2DDA3.jpeg

C3288935-5595-4EE7-AB97-746A1DC54B24.jpeg

Nice.  I have a '69 in Hugger Orange and White.  If you aren't on there already, this is the place for everything '67-'72 C-10.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Mother mopar said:

Nothing crazy today but it was nice to spend a few hours scrubbing old adhesive off the trunk rail. Mocked up the new seal and ill let it lay there for a few days and glue it down.

Mrs. MM will find out Sunday she's missing some clothespins, lol. 471ab3966fdecda79dd0d0c557d94b71.jpg

That a nice trunk. 

Mustang guys, where are y’all ordering parts? My stepdad has misguidedly decided to start working on a 1965 or so that he bought. (I’m sure I’ll be the one doing a lot of it, he doesn’t know anything about cars). He asked about getting some stuff when he needs it. I knew there was some love for them here but I couldn’t remember where it was mentioned.

On 12/9/2022 at 4:33 PM, Jkwellborn said:

Mustang guys, where are y’all ordering parts? My stepdad has misguidedly decided to start working on a 1965 or so that he bought. (I’m sure I’ll be the one doing a lot of it, he doesn’t know anything about cars). He asked about getting some stuff when he needs it. I knew there was some love for them here but I couldn’t remember where it was mentioned.

I haven’t ordered much but CJ pony parts has a ton of stuff.

• Like 1

On 12/9/2022 at 3:33 PM, Jkwellborn said:

As RMac says CJ is good but I’ve found National Parts Depot a little deeper in supply and options. But depending on the part Google it and you may find it on the more regional Mustang sites, Kentucky, Ohio come to mind. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I am going to dump a few links to pretty general parts sources here from my bookmarks, but can't vouch for all of these.  These are just links to consider for various parts. If you are getting into specific components, like suspension components or performance parts, other places may be better to at least compare offerings. I have found that if you are getting particular about certain parts, US sourcing, specific hose construction etc, you have to search multiple sites to compare what is available. I have ordered from CJ (lots of shit ordered, lots of little interior parts, a bumper, etc.) and Virginia (they had a very specific radio bracket that was difficult to source).

https://www.cjponyparts.com/

https://www.npdlink.com/

https://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

https://johnsmustang.com/

• Like 1

NPD  Is the best place, better delivery times, no backorder hassles, better customer service, the owner owns a 69 Boss 302 and is active on the car forums.

Only go to CJPP is not available at NPD.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

More details on the engine build plan:

Goal is fun to drive street machine with torque and the ability to hwy drive with lower RPMs.  I want a little rumble but not a race cam that is super lopey.  I'm getting a used built T5 to replace my C4 at the same time, the original builder will go through it and inspect it.  Also new gears in the rear, probably 3.55 or 3.73.  I already have a set of JBA shorty headers and beautiful exhaust.  This kit is more expensive than I was planning but it is all top shelf stuff.  Partial list...

• Bore and hone my original 69 302 block
  • Scat 331 rotating assembly
  • Trick Flow 11r 170cc heads
  • Trick Flow stage 1 cam
  • Edlebrock RPM Air Gap intake
  • Roller conversion
  • new timing chain and cover
  • Melling high volume oil pump
  • Moroso baffled 7 qt pan
  • probably going to replace the original distributor

Builder wanted me to do a 347 and I deferred to the 331 and he is good about listening to me and pushing where he should and going with what I am comfortable with.  Things that went through my head before were 351W vs 302 based stroker.  Sticking with the C4 and doing gear vendors vs AOD or T5 and then this built T5 was available at a good price.  T5 is supposed to go in the same spot as the C4 shifter.

Engine gets pulled out in a couple of weeks and we'll order parts after the initial tear down and inspection

A few things I have not decided on are replacing the starter, new alternator and what tachometer to put on the steering column.  Leaning towards a Pertronix distributor with a rev limiter.  

Edited by TexasEd
  • Hook 'Em 3

Why did you decide not to stroke it out to 347? The cost is next to nothing minus some rod end clearancing on the block, the gain is worth it.

If you're going with a roller cam set up your leaving HP on the table not taking advantage of the extra cubic inches. If not then save money and go with a flat tappet cam. Just my thoughts.

• Hook 'Em 1

Until 5-10 years ago 347s had significantly shorter lifespan due to the pin being in the oil ring and the rod angle. New piston design fixes some of that but I don’t want it to be in the 500 HP range anyway. 350-450 will be great. I’ll keep my existing 8” rear. 

Until 5-10 years ago 347s had significantly shorter lifespan due to the pin being in the oil ring and the rod angle. New piston design fixes some of that but I don’t want it to be in the 500 HP range anyway. 350-450 will be great. I’ll keep my existing 8” rear. 
Gotcha, I would think piston technology nowadays that the oil ring and rod end clearance could easily be resolved w/a good piston. I also understand longevity often times, is proportional to HP as it's a delicate balance.

Keep us posted bud.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I picked up the new door a few months ago and just got the fender yesterday. I ordered a new side mirror and used the base off of it with my original bell piece  looks better than using the reproduction  
Getting excited. 

06CEC8D2-E076-4815-8717-07B1EC179F9F.thumb.jpeg.a8d7164fdc5d25c35e1fe5ead1db8890.jpeg
93362FDF-CE6D-41D1-B562-5EE78426E440.thumb.jpeg.6effea86581cc3786be038db6c07f7e0.jpeg
Repro's are always a shit show it seems. While the market has come a long way and AMD names great metal the original is the way to go. The downside is they are harder to find and NOS stuff is astronomically high.

I'm excited to see it man!
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 12/9/2022 at 4:58 PM, Mother mopar said:
On 12/9/2022 at 3:40 PM, blacklab said:
My sister lives in Bonham. 

Oddly enough my sister just moved from there to Sherman few years back. Some damn good hunting in that neck of the world that's for sure.

My in-laws live in Sherman (here now) and driving through Bonham to get to my niece’s place 

On 12/9/2022 at 4:58 PM, Mother mopar said:
On 12/9/2022 at 3:40 PM, blacklab said:
My sister lives in Bonham. 

Oddly enough my sister just moved from there to Sherman few years back. Some damn good hunting in that neck of the world that's for sure.

Oddly enough my sister moved from Sherman to Bonham about 20 years ago.

My in-laws live in Sherman (here now) and driving through Bonham to get to my niece’s place 
Haha, I grew up down the road on a small farm in Savoy.

A lot of old muscle cars on the backroads of Fannin county.

To keep this thread on track here are a few from from the backwoods a few years ago during a drive with Mrs. MM88691a8e45ee23cf01e1c7c742cb8b60.jpga5da42422b7bac671dbc0097d4056b79.jpg115d810a6f6199c4ce81302e3f7eeab4.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Finally getting ready to send to paInt shop.  It's being worked on in north Michigan since the shop specializes in British cars. I posted a while back but it's been in the family since 1980 but sat under a deck for almost 20 years. I got it from my brothers estate and it needed everything mechanical and a lot of body work. On and off for 2-3 years and getting near the end. Keep learning things about it - someone before 1980 had run the front end into something and that took a lot of sheet metal work. Dad painted it in early 80's but never totally fixed the front end damage. Also apparently someone switched some of the rims. Had correct 1962 rims on rear and incorrect 1955+ rims on front. No clue why. The two are very similar though

IMG_7029.JPG

IMG_7032.JPG

IMG_7034.JPG

IMG_7049.JPG

Edited by AUinHsv
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4