Classic Car thread

TexasEd

Been wanting to do this for a while, had a terrible time finding what I wanted, but now it's done. I picked up a 1979 Camaro over the weekend. Runs strong and drives, has a 350. The interior is...not there, really. Needs a lot of work. I'm excited and terrified. 

image.thumb.jpeg.49ee531ecb7d6faa1977c96387b6f948.jpeg
Congrats man! Excited to see how it comes along; the feelings will never change and that's an awesome thing.

13 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Unfortunately there was no sneaking that into the agenda with Mrs. F and Chad Jr. in tow. From what I’ve seen around town, I’d say I was missing out. Wish I’d have visited here during my misspent youth.

Sounds like user name doesn’t check out.  curious, why’d you go?  Vacation?  

Sounds like user name doesn’t check out.  curious, why’d you go?  Vacation?  

Yup. Vacation. Highly recommended. There are no classic cars here though. Was discussing with the guide and he said in 75 after the communists took over they destroyed them all as symbols of imperialism or something like that.

Vintage tuk tuk in the Mekong Delta.
04188f4f369bea20cd0bf53f61686945.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 12/29/2022 at 5:46 PM, Sandman said:

Been wanting to do this for a while, had a terrible time finding what I wanted, but now it's done. I picked up a 1979 Camaro over the weekend. Runs strong and drives, has a 350. The interior is...not there, really. Needs a lot of work. I'm excited and terrified. 

image.thumb.jpeg.49ee531ecb7d6faa1977c96387b6f948.jpeg

Watch til the end if you haven't seen the movie and scene before....thought of it when you posted this. Good luck with the transformation, will be watching to see how it goes!

Love those square roof Chevelles. 

Went to look at this car to see if I wanted louvers on mine. The deep red was confirmation on repainting mine and seeing how faded mine is. 

40F5ACCD-C9BE-417C-BF3E-AFC492AA2BA5.jpeg

428 Cobra Jet with 4 link rear, Tremec 5 speed and frame rail stiffeners 

Edited by TexasEd
  • Like 1

On 1/2/2023 at 2:56 PM, Mrs Whiggins said:

Watch til the end if you haven't seen the movie and scene before....thought of it when you posted this. Good luck with the transformation, will be watching to see how it goes!

Love that one.

And my favorite movie Camaro, is this one:

Rob's Movie Muscle: The 1967 Chevy Camaro RS/SS From Better Off Dead

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, AUinHsv said:

The Midget was what the name implied. No clue why British Leyland decided to make a smaller MG than the MGB. It was about 10% smaller in general and really had no redeeming qualities. 

Correct.

I tried on a new 1962 Midget at a downtown Austin dealership. It was like a go-cart with a bare body shell on it. Could barely get out of the thing, but girls thought they were cute.

Back then I went with a used 1960 MGA like this one….

29F788E5-D12B-4600-B6E8-15C20003F408.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Watching the Mecum auction and regardless of the economy, muscle cars, especially those with big blocks and a manual are bringing very strong money.

So aggravating that the damn auction shows have fucked up the prices on old cars. Every idiot out there thinks he can get the same money as a pristine restoration because he saw it on there.
  • Like 2

So where do you even source something like that?  Hunting salvage yards?
I'm a member of a few mopar only forums; eBay is good, and craigslist oddly enough. There are a few wrecking yards but most are off the grid or the EPA shut them down. Not much luck on salvage/wrecking yards down here.

With Spring around the corner ill hit up car shows/swap meets. What I have found is most people are not anal with dates, except the purist (raises hand), or know nothing about it.

15 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:

craigslist oddly enough

Props to craigslist. Made a 500 mile round trip drive last sunday to get seats for my Camaro. I'm not sure if I've recovered yet, what a beating. But 2 original seats in really good shape for $150 was too good to pass up. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sandman said:

Props to craigslist. Made a 500 mile round trip drive last sunday to get seats for my Camaro. I'm not sure if I've recovered yet, what a beating. But 2 original seats in really good shape for $150 was too good to pass up. 

That's a long way to drive without seats! /s

I knew a big dude in college who ripped the driver's seat out of his LeBaron and instead drove around on a beanbag.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

That's a score, plus a day driving is still a good day in life.

Ive bought a few collector parts for cars w/good success, radiator out of PA and a bench seat for a 69' road runner from NY.

Any of you guys ever done the Hot Rod Power Tour or similar group road-trips? One of the guys in the neighborhood has and he’s trying to get me to go probably next summer. Now that the Mustang is getting close to being done, I’m thinking about making road trip plans. Any of y’all have favorites?

Sub going in. Check out the mirror image Stang in the background.

11c00aef794844f81ec652df0e479e5e.jpeg
f92b9d566168907b73e154461c85d1b4.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

7 minutes ago, otisdog said:

It is.  It's also a sponge that doesn't hold screws well, much less in a vibrating environment.

All of this.  One day, I'm going to have to replace my kitchen cabinet drawer faces.  There are some places near the sink where the MDF is completely distorted and generally fucked up looking because a few drips got onto it.  Every day I see it, it pisses me off.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

This is the only car themed thread I could find. I didn't look very hard, I'm tired and sore. I don't have a car worthy of being considered in any form "classic."
I was quoted an outrageous price to change a part. I'm not in the slightest mechanically inclined. Yesterday, after I got off work (night shift) I bought the part at the automotive store and went into a fight with my car. Alone. Sparse, cheap tools were all I had to work with. I won. I'm sore in places that I haven't been in a very long time. Injuries were aggravated. But I won. I'm scraped, brused, cut up, still trying to remove oil and dirt. But I won.

I just wanted to celebrate this personal victory with anyone. I did it with vitriol and pure personal determination of will. I won.

You better have swapped the cam for all this drama
  • Haha 1