Classic Car thread

TexasEd

This is the only car themed thread I could find. I didn't look very hard, I'm tired and sore. I don't have a car worthy of being considered in any form "classic."
I was quoted an outrageous price to change a part. I'm not in the slightest mechanically inclined. Yesterday, after I got off work (night shift) I bought the part at the automotive store and went into a fight with my car. Alone. Sparse, cheap tools were all I had to work with. I won. I'm sore in places that I haven't been in a very long time. Injuries were aggravated. But I won. I'm scraped, brused, cut up, still trying to remove oil and dirt. But I won.

I just wanted to celebrate this personal victory with anyone. I did it with vitriol and pure personal determination of will. I won.
Murica...fuck yeah!
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 1/8/2023 at 2:56 PM, AUinHsv said:

The Midget was what the name implied. No clue why British Leyland decided to make a smaller MG than the MGB. It was about 10% smaller in general and really had no redeeming qualities. 

Didn't the Midget start out as the Austin-Healey Sprite? Maybe it had something to do with consolidating different companies and rebadging existing cars.

My dad was playing around with an Austin-Healey Sprite for a little while-- not sure if he owned it and resold it, or just borrowed it for a while. Anyway, we'd go through the McDonalds drive-through and they carefully lower the food down to us. Had to be careful hanging your arm out the side or you might skin your knuckles on asphalt.

16 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

I heard on some forgotten car video that somebody is making "new" Morgans. So like you said, probably a Morgan shell with something else underneath.

It's still Morgan. 

From a January 2023 C&D article on the current state of British auto manufacturers, how they've become increasingly reliant on foreign investments, etc. 

20230121_142028.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

This is the only car themed thread I could find. I didn't look very hard, I'm tired and sore. I don't have a car worthy of being considered in any form "classic."

I was quoted an outrageous price to change a part. I'm not in the slightest mechanically inclined. Yesterday, after I got off work (night shift) I bought the part at the automotive store and went into a fight with my car. Alone. Sparse, cheap tools were all I had to work with. I won. I'm sore in places that I haven't been in a very long time. Injuries were aggravated. But I won. I'm scraped, brused, cut up, still trying to remove oil and dirt. But I won.

I just wanted to celebrate this personal victory with anyone. I did it with vitriol and pure personal determination of will. I won.

Get yourself a classic car or truck and you can do it every weekend.

• Like 2
  • Drool 1

On 1/21/2023 at 8:20 PM, TexasEd said:

I think it would resonate less than the plywood 

I poked around on the net and there's some mixed data on that.  In any case, no MDF.  Here's the old radio polished up and installed. 

IMG_6228.thumb.jpeg.74c4e193c22833cdb4ca04a8360f6a39.jpeg

And the new radio.  It has bluetooth, so I'll just run it from the phone.  A USB charger will connect via the ashtray, which will now function as a phone holder. 

IMG_6347.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

On 1/21/2023 at 8:48 AM, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

Just out of curiosity, what part did you change?  (Please don’t say battery - j/k). Old cars need a lot of work, but they are also very easy to work on.  Good for you.  

Just out of curiosity, what part did you change?  (Please don’t say battery - j/k). Old cars need a lot of work, but they are also very easy to work on.  Good for you.  
I hope so. I haven't had time to dig into my 77 Spider since I got it home but I'm going to be pretty much overhauling everything.

I'm not a mechanic but I'm a poor and am pretty good at DIY and have done a lot of work on my own cars - often with sage advice from a good friend who IS a mechanic by profession. When I ask him about the difficulty level on certain things, he tells me, "If you were able to change the starter on an 07 Civic in a Walmart parking lot, then you can do that with little problem."
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

I hope so. I haven't had time to dig into my 77 Spider since I got it home but I'm going to be pretty much overhauling everything.

I'm not a mechanic but I'm a poor and am pretty good at DIY and have done a lot of work on my own cars - often with sage advice from a good friend who IS a mechanic by profession. When I ask him about the difficulty level on certain things, he tells me, "If you were able to change the starter on an 07 Civic in a Walmart parking lot, then you can do that with little problem."

Changing the water pump on a ‘79 Ford Fiesta in a bank Parking lot off I35 in August was a miserable experience.

On 1/29/2023 at 9:46 AM, TexPx said:

Changing the water pump on a ‘79 Ford Fiesta in a bank Parking lot off I35 in August was a miserable experience.

I had a '78 Monte Carlo while I was in college.  It loved to eat starters.  It got to a point that most of the time I was using a long screwdriver to jump the post to get it started.  It once "died"  in the Intramural field's parking lot where it sat for a week until I had time to change it out.  I got quite proficient in changing that sucker out.

• Like 4

On 1/29/2023 at 9:46 AM, TexPx said:

Changing the water pump on a 73 Vega on the side of the road was unbelievably easy. hardest part was waiting for Dad to show up with new pump

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/30/2023 at 1:01 PM, mininghorn88 said:

I had a '78 Monte Carlo while I was in college.  It loved to eat starters.  It got to a point that most of the time I was using a long screwdriver to jump the post to get it started.  It once "died"  in the Intramural field's parking lot where it sat for a week until I had time to change it out.  I got quite proficient in changing that sucker out.

My 72 Super Beetle was the car I always parked on hills to pop-start it later on. Whenever I'd approach a place I'd circle the parking lot trying to sense where the slightest bit of slope was.

At some point the brakes wore out, and rather than replacing them or learning how to adjust them, I just went around jerking up the parking brake lever. Apparently this did not activate the brake lights, but getting rammed was one of the few things that didn't happen in that car.

Edited by RDCanecutter
spel badd.
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, The Royal We said:

Ho-lee-shit.  An ad for this thing just popped up on my IG feed and sent me to their website.  It can be all yours for only $249,900. 

For Sale 1979 Ford Bronco

https://www.vanguardmotorsales.com/inventory/4722/1979-ford-bronco-restomod-4x4

We have some posters in this thread that just got excited.

First Spring drive for the Riviera. Put about 50 miles on some back roads. Kept it at 50-55 mph. Just wanted to take a look at the temperature during the drive and all was good.

Now, the 911 for a bit longer drive.

IMG_6330.JPGDang, a bird crapped on the fender. ugh.

Edited by PittsburghTiger
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 2/22/2023 at 1:32 PM, The Royal We said:

Ho-lee-shit.  An ad for this thing just popped up on my IG feed and sent me to their website.  It can be all yours for only $249,900. 

For Sale 1979 Ford Bronco

https://www.vanguardmotorsales.com/inventory/4722/1979-ford-bronco-restomod-4x4

The price of those has gone insane. They are insanely awesome though. I just don't see it as $250,000-awesome. That is pretty fucking gorgeous though.

19 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

The price of those has gone insane. They are insanely awesome though. I just don't see it as $250,000-awesome. That is pretty fucking gorgeous though.

The market for custom restomods is crazy. You can drop $500K-$1M on a restomod air cooled 911 from Singer or Guntherwerks, $250K+ for a custom Land Rover Defender from ECD, $150K+ for a custom 60 series Land Cruiser from Coresetti Cruiser, and on and on. (I'd probably give up a pinky toe for a Singer 911, though)

• Hook 'Em 2

On 2/27/2023 at 5:26 PM, Armybrat said:

Only the 2nd MGA I have seen on the road in Round Rock since we moved up here 28 years ago. Unusual customized configuration. A throwback to an early 1955 racer.

5680EA7E-E28E-4225-95CF-3FB89A85BC38.jpeg

You have to be kinda crazy to drive at anything resembling speed limit with that racing windscreen.

In other news my MGA is somewhere in the body shop getting prepped for paint

• Hook 'Em 2