Iraq War: The 20 year retrospective

Anastasis

Still pisses me off today to recall how often I was insulted by fellow Americans because I rightly opposed the invasion of Iraq and knew then what everyone accepts as factual truth today. Iraq was never a threat and the tale of Iraqi WMD was myth-making to the benefit of Sadddam Hussein pre-9/11 and the Bush administration post-9/11.

The PNAC neocons fed a bunch of cherry-picked bullshit from Scooter Libby to Judy Miller and the honcho dipshits at the NY Times let her reporting lead on pg A1 while simultaneously filing reports on pg A25 from these guys, the ones who had it right all along.....

https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/knight-ridder-small-team-US-journalists-Iraq-war

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

14 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

The fact that not one single fucking person suffered any real consequences for supporting the Iraq War is probably an even bigger indictment of this country than Donald Trump winning an election.

dOTarD should be in prison for attempting to overthrow an election. Rumsfeld, Cheney, et al should be in prison for war crimes.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, and cronies should be tried as war criminals — by any sane, evidence-based definition of the term.

— Unprovoked invasion of Iraq based on an evidence-free claim (lie) about weapons of mass destruction.

— Violated Geneva Convention with torture of prisoners (a policy supported by the majority of Americans).

— Bombed Iraq, then let it be ransacked and pillaged, while contractors raked in billions. 

— Hundreds of thousand dead. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casualties_of_the_Iraq_War

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

I remember talking with a Bush voter in 2003. He wasn't strident in his support of the Iraq invasion, the best he could say was "I hope they know something we don't. They have to know something we don't."

Turns out they didn't know anything more than us. Turns out they just wanted to do it, so they did.

6 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

The fact that not one single fucking person suffered any real consequences for supporting the Iraq War is probably an even bigger indictment of this country than Donald Trump winning an election.

well some people got more money and more problems.  ever thinks about those poor souls?  

• Haha 1

I'm eager to read George Piro's book (agent in charge of interrogating Saddam after capture). His interviews have been very enlightening in what was known and not known and why Saddam did certain things both pre and post invasion.

Assume it's coming out sometime this year.

I hate to see this thread with no fervor. I was laughing my ass off last night seeing Eric Bolling on Newsmax try to cover this as a “both sides” questioned the authority of everything going on, instead of telling younger Americans that the GOP cradled the balls, stroked the shaft, and drained the gravy.  Trump made them conveniently forget after he ‘exposed’ Jeb

7 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

You don’t get Donald Trump IF people are held accountable.

There have been no consequences since Nixon. 
Reagan admin: nothing

Bush 1: nothing

Clinton? Ha!

Bush 2: dear god.

Obama: Hand cuffed, but dude should have strung up the bankers.

Trump: maybe the most flawed human being to ever hold office. This is not hyperbole. Smarter men would have ended our democracy. His narcissism and stupidity were the reason democracy somehow lived. Great men are those who can grasp the brass ring that time has given them. He was not among them.

Dude had the brass ring but was so completely inept and flawed that he couldn’t even score the lay up. Even with the inability to have human emotion.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

Obama: Hand cuffed, but dude should have strung up the bankers.

If by handcuffed you mean that he drone and gunship striked a lot of innocent people while taking out some really bad ones, we are in agreement.

Let's not sugar coat our war mongering across administrations. It is one of the few bipartisan aspects that we consistently politically rally around. Iraq was no different. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

If by handcuffed you mean that he drone and gunship striked a lot of innocent people while taking out some really bad ones, we are in agreement.

Let's not sugar coat our war mongering across administrations. It is one of the few bipartisan aspects that we consistently politically rally around. Iraq was no different. 

Presidents killing bad guys is part of the job IMO. The extent is debatable and I’ll let history be the judge for his individual actions. Idk.

But, Obama’s biggest failure as President is not prosecuting the white collar criminals who almost brought down the entire post WW2 world economy.

The moral hazards are being felt right at this very minute.

Yeah…. That was a miss.

27 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Which ones did you vote for?