Griddle me this Batman

Both Tacos

They are pretty cheap, might as well get the biggest one if you have the room. I have the Blackstone brand, it works fine, has 4 burners.  Seasoning it correctly is the key, follow the steps that Blackstone suggest, even down to their oil or whatever. Lot of fun to cook on.

• Hook 'Em 1

Thinking of getting in the game.....any brand/size to consider?  Any to specifically stay away from?

I’ve had an outdoor gourmet from academy for 10 or 12 years now. It’s been great. They make a 42” or something like that. Mines a 36”.

I’m probably going to buy a Blackstone soon since one of the legs has rusted.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I have a 4 burner blackstone with the rear drain, and have found no reason to shop around if and when I replace.

It you want it fancied up for the patio, they have a stainless version. 

If there is no budget, I'd look at commercial grade units for shit and grins, but then you are talking real money. 

The standard blackstone put this out tonight.

ED2-A55-C2-3-A1-C-4-C78-BE02-15-A111-C8-

• Hook 'Em 3

14 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

My griddle is pretty new but I have those spots in the coating. I guess I need to season it some more.

Mine has a little spot in the back left corner, but I figure it will come around before long. 

13 hours ago, Spur08 said:

Thinking of getting in the game.....any brand/size to consider?  Any to specifically stay away from?

Go blackstone. Do NOT go to lowes/home depot/wally/etc. The models they sell aren’t as good. Might be a 36” 4-burner, but the material quality is a bit less to curb cost. Similar to how samsung, etc make a cheaper version of tv for wally and the likes.

Go to an Ace, or similar. Better yet, find the model you want on the blackstone site, then find somewhere that sells that model.

Plan on using most of a tank to season. I got seasoned, and about 5 nights of cooking off the first tank. Maybe 3 weeks or a hair less off the second, but I also let it heat up and burn off each time after for 20–30min.

I got the standard 36” with hood. It was $20 more at Ace over the big box stores, but the quality is better. The one I looked over at both lowes and home depot were not great. To the point I was reconsidering it all. 

Then did a quick google, found some info, went to Ace, and you can see how that went from the pics above.

Used it about every night since, with the exception of the 2 nights a week I’m out.

Part of me is thinking I should have got the enclosed cabinet. Not with the air fryer shit, but just enclosed with a couple drawers. Price difference wasn’t worth it ($400ish) but it would be nice if it were possible.

Kind of kills portability. Not that a 36” is easily portable, but it could be if really needed. Little harder with it enclosed.

Duck fat. 

Is it worth it?

Fuck. Yes.

I’ve done all kinds of shit on it. Check out the enchiladas in my pics from a month or so ago.

• Hook 'Em 2

Elk backstrap steaks at deer camp tonight.   Fantastic piece of meat. 
4721857E-21F5-4E09-B4CD-3432DA60AD26.thumb.jpeg.8274482e817b966d4211e050fca767a4.jpeg
C4D697A7-BE19-4924-BE53-55E9EB6A41CF.thumb.jpeg.5e892b2b603ab539848ead84b084c383.jpeg
85AF9B4F-767F-4D3D-BA17-A2BD084E7FF4.thumb.jpeg.f7fdbbcdc83ccde1e3a987a75b89f174.jpeg

Fuck! Those look great. Few things are as good as ripping the backstraps out of a deer and cooking them as you like. The only problem with deers is they aren’t 100% made of backstraps. My son and DiL need to nail a few this season as the freezer is long void of backstraps and tenderloins.

Thanks for the recs, fellas, especially Thunder.  I was about to pull the trigger on a Lowes model once I check it out in store tomorrow but will probably pivot to my local Ace's.  Any must-have accessories other than the dueling spatulas and bench scraper.

On 10/5/2022 at 10:12 AM, thunderlounge said:

Mine has a little spot in the back left corner, but I figure it will come around before long. 

Go blackstone. Do NOT go to lowes/home depot/wally/etc. The models they sell aren’t as good. Might be a 36” 4-burner, but the material quality is a bit less to curb cost. Similar to how samsung, etc make a cheaper version of tv for wally and the likes.

Go to an Ace, or similar. Better yet, find the model you want on the blackstone site, then find somewhere that sells that model.

Plan on using most of a tank to season. I got seasoned, and about 5 nights of cooking off the first tank. Maybe 3 weeks or a hair less off the second, but I also let it heat up and burn off each time after for 20–30min.

I got the standard 36” with hood. It was $20 more at Ace over the big box stores, but the quality is better. The one I looked over at both lowes and home depot were not great. To the point I was reconsidering it all. 

Then did a quick google, found some info, went to Ace, and you can see how that went from the pics above.

Used it about every night since, with the exception of the 2 nights a week I’m out.

Part of me is thinking I should have got the enclosed cabinet. Not with the air fryer shit, but just enclosed with a couple drawers. Price difference wasn’t worth it ($400ish) but it would be nice if it were possible.

Kind of kills portability. Not that a 36” is easily portable, but it could be if really needed. Little harder with it enclosed.

Duck fat. 

Is it worth it?

Fuck. Yes.

I’ve done all kinds of shit on it. Check out the enchiladas in my pics from a month or so ago.

This is all great advice. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Something re: seasoning. Certainly put the effort into the first coat....but frankly just cook breakfast/bacon on that shit with a frequency, keep it dry, and it settles out with a robust seasoning. I had issues with spots that bothered me but found that the solution was to think about it less and cook more. 

• Hook 'Em 3

12 hours ago, Spur08 said:

Thanks for the recs, fellas, especially Thunder.  I was about to pull the trigger on a Lowes model once I check it out in store tomorrow but will probably pivot to my local Ace's.  Any must-have accessories other than the dueling spatulas and bench scraper.

All good advice so far.

I have to run out, but can add links for anything of interest.

Overall…

A couple GOOD, heavy, spatulas, bacon grease (or bacon up, if you’re short), couple cans of duck fat.

Think about things you may make. That will determine your accessory priority. 

For example, I bit my tongue, but went ahead and got the big steam dome straight from blackstone. It was worth it, and covers the pan I use for enchiladas just perfect.

Definitely want a scraper/chopper, and a good push scraper.

Good squirt bottle for water.

Those little foil inserts for the grease trap? Hell yes. 

Keep a spare tank of gas. Empty one, put on the other, fill the empty. Rinse/repeat.

Something I’d like to find as an accessory is wind guards.

The cabinet model I also looked at had them, and they would be quite helpful in the wind.

The lid is nice. More a cover, and I guess you’re not supposed to cook with it down for more than a couple minutes. Like melting cheese on burgers, tops.

Additional spatulas. A wide one for sure. Makes flipping bigger/wider things easier. Like quesadillas, or similar.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/24/2018 at 6:04 PM, cam4mav said:

Just ordered this 22 inch Blackstone griddle. 

To season I take it I should treat it like a cast iron pan? Coat in oil, wipe off, oven bake at full blast for an hour, cool, rinse repeat? 

So excited to have a  griddle, been putting my cast iron griddle pan to work recently and just want more space, but still camping / tailgate portable

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076MFM8LX/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Discount Alert:

This griddle from the 1st page is currently on sale from Amazon. 

C0B605A7-DDEB-4428-84D6-F92C6BF7DBEC.thumb.jpeg.7058fcc18fd9ee821690f8abbe2b8836.jpeg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076MFM8LX/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Hook 'Em 2

I FUCKING LOVE THAT THING ^^^^^^^^^^^^

just in case anybody needed more reason to get a griddle, that's portable, that's two burner, etc etc. If you have need for portability or compact size. Get it. 

I have abused it and brought it back to life more times than I can count on camping and festival trips. It's a workhorse. It's part of the family. Fight me. 

great quote and find @Napoleon

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Got a 36 for home use, but pulled the trigger on the 22 to take car camping.  Man, that little bastard gets hot in a hurry.  Been watching youtube vids from "The Flat Top King."  Guy was a cook in the Navy and knows his way around a griddle.  Bought a couple of the spatulas he recommends to take the place of the Blackstone spatulas I received as a gift and like them much better.  Those Blackstone spatulas don't have any flex to them.

We have the 36" and love it, but when I swapped out my latest propane tank, I noticed a small leak at tank connection. I could barely hear it and went ahead with the cook but now it is audible just with the tank valve open and the Blackstone closed. 

Is there a gasket/ring at the base of the connection, because I don't see one. It may have fallen out when I was switching the tank to our cajun cooker. Any ideas on what size I need?

On 4/11/2023 at 7:21 PM, baboso said:

Got a 36 for home use, but pulled the trigger on the 22 to take car camping.  Man, that little bastard gets hot in a hurry.  Been watching youtube vids from "The Flat Top King."  Guy was a cook in the Navy and knows his way around a griddle.  Bought a couple of the spatulas he recommends to take the place of the Blackstone spatulas I received as a gift and like them much better.  Those Blackstone spatulas don't have any flex to them.

Well, you gonna tell us the name of those spatulas or just remain a tease?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Got the big cooker.  The small portable cooker is the tits.  We are going to a bunch of festivals this summer.  We are bringing the sous vide and the Blackstone.  Got a whole menu planned out for 3 days for less than 200 bucks. That's ranging from breakfast burritos.   Fried rice.  Fajitas.

Our Blackstone at the country house had a mice family living on it....nest, shit, and all.  Welcome surprise that was.

My plan to sterilize it is to turn up heat for a long time and just pour water on it and let it boil/evaporate various times.  Any other suggestions?

Be careful with water. It can change the temp of the top too quickly and potentially warp it.

I would say scrape it good. Maybe even to the point of a little steel wool on it.

Then heat it up on high for 15-20 min, shut it off. Let it cool down for maybe 30 minutes, scrape it again to be sure, and then start seasoning it back up a few times. (Light oil, heat it and let it burn off, let it cool. Rinse, repeat.)

The temps on the first time will kill anything, the second scrape is for peace of mind, and then the seasoning process will fix the top.

• Hook 'Em 5

7 hours ago, Hornbeliever said:

Our Blackstone at the country house had a mice family living on it....nest, shit, and all.  Welcome surprise that was.

My plan to sterilize it is to turn up heat for a long time and just pour water on it and let it boil/evaporate various times.  Any other suggestions?

Heat the plate. Let it burn hot. Boil off some water across it. Then oil. Maybe if you have a pressure water hit it with that first to clear the crud. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/14/2023 at 4:30 PM, FartingMonk said:

Got the big cooker.  The small portable cooker is the tits.  We are going to a bunch of festivals this summer.  We are bringing the sous vide and the Blackstone.  Got a whole menu planned out for 3 days for less than 200 bucks. That's ranging from breakfast burritos.   Fried rice.  Fajitas.

Username checks out