Griddle me this Batman

Both Tacos

1 hour ago, DallasSooner said:

I'd like that green bean recipe.  Those look fire. 

I just cut two pieces of bacon into lardons and fried those up. Threw in about 1/3 or half a cup of diced yellow onion and cooked for a few minutes in the rendered bacon fat. Threw in the green beans to sear up a bit. A few minutes later I added about a cup of halved cherry tomatoes. Then finally added four cloves of garlic I ran through a mandolin. At the end added a few tablespoons of white vinegar and maybe a third of a cup of water to cook the beans through. Would have used chicken stock but didn't have any. They were great. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Full honesty, I’d just get a blackstone from Ace. 

I’ve tried what you’re talking about, but it just isn’t the same level result. I got the griddle top off amazon. 

Not saying impossible, but having used both, a dedicated griddle makes things much simpler. Temp control, wind, etc.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Steel Shank said:

I'm sure it's mentioned somewhere, but I don't have time to find. Need a griddle rec for a Genesis model like pictured below. Wife is demanding a suggestion for Father's Day. I think I'd like to dip my toe in the griddle waters. Thanks in advance.

main

Don't have one, but Weber does sell them so at least it will fit right.

https://www.weber.com/US/en/griddle/full-size-griddle-inserts/

• Hook 'Em 1

The weber griddle inserts are fine.  I had one on a spirit years ago.  They're limited with space and grease management.  Just make sure it's draining out to the grill grease trap. It's fine if you are only cooking up small amounts of food, but if you want a package of bacon, sausage, hash browns, veggies, and a bunch of eggs all going you want something larger.  It will get results, but it's just easier to flip and toss things when they aren't all crowded on top of each other.

Edited by Gene Parmesan

18 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

I’ve tried what you’re talking about, but it just isn’t the same level result. I got the griddle top off amazon. 

Not saying impossible, but having used both, a dedicated griddle makes things much simpler. Temp control, wind, etc.

this man is pre-med

the functionality of use and cleaning make it not worth the effort

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

They're limited with space and grease management.

How did I forget to mention this. Probably the biggest pain in the ass on an insert, followed closely by temp mgmt and space.

When you cook breakfast all at once (start/drop times vary, of course) you’ll wonder why you’ve fucked around for so long. 

Even down to just 2 people now, still so much better.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

Cousin shank,

Order you one of these from Amazon.  I have a 36" at  home and bought this one to go car camping, etc.  It's awesome for the money.

Blackstone Tabletop Griddle, 1666, Heavy Duty Flat Top Griddle Grill Station for Camping, Camp, Outdoor, Tailgating, Table...

https://www.amazon.com/Blackstone-Tabletop-Grill-Adjustable-Tailgating/dp/B076MFM8LX/ref=sr_1_3?crid=QIPG3NO6D4PV&keywords=blackstone+griddle&qid=1686251258&sprefix=blackstone%2Caps%2C88&sr=8-3

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, deadshank said:

Deer camp leftover smorgasbord breakfast.  Fried eggs, refried beans, smashed potato pancakes, bacon, prime ribeye cubes, tortillas and a couple of tamales.   Coffee and OJ.  

Scheduling my angioplasty now. It was worth it.  

IMG_7944.jpeg

IMG_7945.jpeg

I believe this is highly qualifies to cross post, if you know what I mean.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 5/29/2023 at 4:55 PM, Etexhorn13 said:

FYI the 36” Blackstones with the hard lid are on sale at Walmart for about $300 right now. Picked one up for myself and plan to make the maiden voyage with PCS tonight

This is still/back available.  Is this the best deal out there?  Buying one for an Xmas present so I don't need it today if it's going to be lower, later.

While this wasn’t directed solely at me, I’ll say that I’d been looking/waiting to buy one for far too long and this was the best deal I’d seen, especially considering the hard top lid (~$100 on its own otherwise) is included. I don’t think you’ll see a deal that’s appreciably better. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Not 100% sure. Less quality frame materials, and those kind of cuts. 

I originally looked at lowes last summer for mine during a sale, and honestly wasn’t impressed at all. Flimsy, wobbly, and just didn’t seem well made. I wasn’t going to get one after looking at it. I checked the things I could, and it wasn’t loose connections or anything. 

Another customer noticed I wasn’t really thrilled and suggested I go look at ace. 

I did, and it was night and day. Same looking griddle, but seemed more solid and well built. 

Researching later on, found out it’s similar to like a tv, etc. They make the same thing for walmart that’s lower grade to keep wally’s cost down, blah blah.

Also in that reading, I found some sound advice. If you’re getting 2 burners, get the 22”. Else get the 36” with 4 burners. The 28” with 2 burners eats way more gas to heat that extra 6 inches over the 22. 

At the prices Blackstones are at now, I might look at other brands like camp chef or something.  Years ago I bought a 28" with 3 burners and a hard lid hood at walmart for something like $175.  That comparable model now is $450 on the blackstone website.  I'm sure it's cheaper in a store, but still.  They used to be dirt cheap which made them awesome value.