2023 NCAA Tournament - Elite 8

Pancho

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

UConn has played the best so far of the remaining teams... really good team

If you looked at their record vs top teams prior to the tournament, would've never chose them as an option.  They're destroying teams now. 

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Like 1

Just now, Mdhorn said:

Houston defense is garbage.  Really.  

they struggled in Rd1 vs. Northern Kentucky, a school unbeknownst to most.  They had no chance in this tourney, seriously overrated all year.  Hurricane backcourt is so damn quick, especially Wong.  The tourney is a guard's game, good shots, limit the TOs, pass well, execute well, profit. 

and Brandon Miller goes 1-10 from 3s.  Top 3 pick? 

Just now, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

they struggled in Rd1 vs. Northern Kentucky, a school unbeknownst to most.  They had no chance in this tourney, seriously overrated all year.  Hurricane backcourt is so damn quick, especially Wong.  The tourney is a guard's game, good shots, limit the TOs, pass well, execute well, profit. 

The lane has been wide open for layups most of the game.

1 minute ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

and Brandon Miller goes 1-10 from 3s.  Top 3 pick? 

Yeah, they just try to out physical teams. 

Once a team realizes that if you don't allow their physicality to beat you they aren't that great defensively. Houston's guards are drastically overrated (especially from a skill perspective) which I was all in on Miami winning this game. 

15 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Until Coogs fix their death trap of a football stadium they can’t win…karma won’t allow it. 

Pretty sure they built a new stadium, so either its a death trap as well, or karma's got more bidness with that Cougar High. Probably all those little boys Daniel Figurelli keeps in his basement.

2 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Creighton and Gonzaga the only teams in the preseason top 10 still alive. 

And their only lost in the regular season to the remaining field...  

Texas

Edited by Zuerst
  • Hook 'Em 5

You know what else I like about this tourney...

UH leaving to the B12... eliminated

UCLA leaving to B10... eliminated

SDSU rumored to the Pac12... still alive but if they do keep advancing all the tourny creds stay in the MWC

All the SEC... bye bye

Marquette... fuck you

UT.... still rolling

• Hook 'Em 1

“Bama was in the wrong place at the wrong time” jokes all over social media. I’m loving all of it. Pieces of shit.

Did you hear about the shirts fans were wearing? (I’m sure it’s been posted but haven’t seen it)

Something like “we are killing people….”

Crazy if Miami's Nijel Pack was still at k-state

How former Kansas State guard Nijel Pack became the face of name, image and likeness

Story by Blair Kerkhoff, The Kansas City Star • Yesterday 

The dollar amounts and other benefits college athletes have been receiving since the path was cleared for name, image and likeness agreements two years ago largely remains a mystery.

That’s why jaws dropped when the details of Nijel Pack’s deal were revealed last year.

An All-Big 12 guard at Kansas State in 2022, Pack decided to transfer to Miami. Soon after arriving his two-year, $800,000 agreement with LifeWallet, which included a car, became public. The gasp was audible throughout the sports landscape.

NIL deals could be worth that much?

Pack said he wasn’t fazed by the announcement by LifeWallet or the commentary that followed, including criticism from Alabama football coach Nick Saban.

But since the jolt of Pack’s news, the earnings of other college athletes have become known. That includes Saban’s quarterback Bryce Young, a former Heisman Trophy winner who made an estimated $1 million in NIL agreements last year.

“People in my corner told me to look at it with a positive perspective,” Pack said. “If you make it to the next level, and that’s my main goal, thinking about what people will expect from you because you make a certain amount of money.

“This is basically preparing me for the next level.”

Pack, a 6-0 guard, averages 13.4 points and 2.4 assists for a Hurricanes team looking to extend its season against top-ranked Houston in the Midwest Regional semifinal on Friday at Kansas City’s T-Mobile Center. Fifth-seeded Miami overcame second-half deficits against Drake and Indiana to reach the Sweet 16 for the second straight year.

In two seasons at K-State, Pack started all but one game and averaged 15.3 points. He couldn’t prevent two ninth-place finishes and no postseason, a stretch that cost Bruce Weber his job.

The Wildcats hired Jerome Tang, and Pack had a conversation with his new coach, but soon made his decision to leave. In late April, LifeWallet CEO John Ruiz tweeted the details, and for a while Pack became the face of NIL

The reverberations were felt at Miami. The agent of guard Isaiah Wong, who had led the Hurricanes to the Elite Eight, told ESPN that Wong needed an NIL upgrade. The next day Wong announced the comments were unauthorized.

Still, it seemed possible that different NIL deals could have an impact in the locker room. Fifth-year guard Jordan Miller said Thursday the team was happy for Pack.

“At the end of the day he’s our teammate, and everybody’s happy for him,” Miller said. “We all have the same opportunity. There’s no bad blood.”

Miami coach Jim Larrañaga said he’s like to see more transparency in NIL.

“Nijel’s deal was transparent,” Larrañaga said. “Everybody knew. That’s how it should be. The NBA, you can look up salaries. I’d like to know what the collective at North Carolina is playing their players. If everybody knows what the market is, you can compete.”

Does Pack wonder how things might have fallen had he continued his career at Kansas State? He most certainly would not have earned the income there that he is at Miami. But he’d be part of one of college basketball’s great turnarounds.

The Wildcats, who took on Michigan State in the East Regional semifinal on Thursday, were picked to finish 10th this season, partly because several players like Pack weren’t coming back. But K-State finished tied for third under Tang and earned a No. 3 seed in the NCAA Tournament.

“I’m happy for their success and how well they’re doing,” said Pack, who added he remains in contact with a couple of his former teammates. “They’re doing great and our team is doing great. It’s worked out well for both of us.”

image.png

image.png

25 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

He wins it, he should mic drop and take the Kentucky job.

He should be able to defend the title but would be difficult with staff and player turnover.  He'd be the hottest coach on the market and should say sure, what the hell, yeah, I'll take one of the top jobs, historically, in college basketball.  

• Pancho changed the title to 2023 NCAA Tournament - Elite 8
  • Pancho unpinned this topic