2023 NCAA Tournament - Elite 8

Pancho

They have to do that in the non-conference because, like you said, their conference sucks. Didn’t Huggins weigh in on Gonzaga this year and how they would do in the Big-12? I don’t hate Gonzaga but, I do tire of the consistent love fest that builds each season.

UH will see this soon enough next year when they have to play a real D1 schedule. So tired of hearing how great they are as they beat temple and ucf all year.
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

No surprise. They should have lost to TCU if not for some shitty reffing. UCLA didn't score a FG for 11min and still almost won.

But these dorks will be back here next year with a high seed because they play in a shit ass conference where the #2 team is levels below them. And they will get smashed a few rounds in.

I know your brand is being a complete moron, but there's not a single team without a title that wouldn't trade for Gonzaga's tournament success over the past decade. Shit, even Virginia might trade them.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

They're weak defensively. Atrocious, actually. UConn is the class of the tournament right now.  

Doesn't mean UConn's going to win it all but it all came together for a gang rape.

Not taking anything away from UConn but Gonzaga just didn’t seem to have any fire or sense of urgency from the beginning.  

On 3/16/2023 at 9:46 AM, Helobious said:

You can literally never go wrong picking UCONN to make the final four. Look at their history, look at their metrics this year. I have them winning it all. Not too late to adjust your brackets.

Anyone care to apologize to me?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

12 minutes ago, jw4381 said:

So, were the refs in this game in UConn’s corner? I couldn’t watch. We said last night if our game was called even, we blow X out by 25. 

And, how deep is their bench?

other than the unnecessary fourth on the Timme guy, I did not see any bias. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

..so UConn has to cool down at some point, hopefully now.  If they are as hot as they were tonight, we do not win, assuming we beat Miami tomorrow.  

I hope we win by about 5 points tomorrow and UConn is favored by a dozen or more points, and they go cold.  They are going to hear from every fan how great they are for the next six days.  They should be fat and happy by the time we get them.  

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, JGrayDBU said:

..so UConn has to cool down at some point, hopefully now.  If they are as hot as they were tonight, we do not win, assuming we beat Miami tomorrow.  

Well so far, Colgate, PSU and Xavier all looked real good and like a really tough out for our defense to handle until they faced us and looked downright foolish at times. Miami looked like world beaters yesterday, but let’s see how they handle us tomorrow. 

• Hook 'Em 5

26 minutes ago, jw4381 said:

So it was called evenly both ways? Zebras didn’t help Gonzaga like they seemed to try to help X?

For real, I did not notice zebras helping the team behind.  Probably because the team that was behind was only behind by 7 at halftime, compared to our game when Xavier was behind by 17 at halftime.  

If you flipped the officiating bias and gave Gonzaga help during the 8 minutes after half like our game, Gonzaga may have been behind by maybe 7-9 points instead of being blown out.  If our game was called evenly after halftime, we may have won by 25.  

• Hook 'Em 1

To review:

FAU: First-ever Final Four

UConn: 6th Final Four, but going for their fifth championship. Insanely high-variance team over their history. 

Creighton: second Elite Eight (first one was when the tourney was only 8 teams), aiming for their first Final Four

San Diego State: First Elite 8

Miami: second Elite 8, aiming for their first Final Four

Texas: eighth Elite 8, aiming for a fourth Final Four

What a strange, weird, wonderful tournament. History tells us this is setting up beautifully for another fluke UConn title, but fuck 'em let's do it. We're due. And their coach seems like a colossal douche.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

9 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Too many times where semi-finals are better than the Championship Game because they don't reseed...

I think that is just part of this type of tournament that I am willing to live with.

I think if you reseed the final four then, inevitably, someone will say, "let's reseed the Sweet 16", and I'd rather not see that happen.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

6 hours ago, texifornia said:

To review:

FAU: First-ever Final Four

UConn: 6th Final Four, but going for their fifth championship. Insanely high-variance team over their history. 

Creighton: second Elite Eight (first one was when the tourney was only 8 teams), aiming for their first Final Four

San Diego State: First Elite 8

Miami: second Elite 8, aiming for their first Final Four

Texas: eighth Elite 8, aiming for a fourth Final Four

What a strange, weird, wonderful tournament. History tells us this is setting up beautifully for another fluke UConn title, but fuck 'em let's do it. We're due. And their coach seems like a colossal douche.

Why would it be a fluke? If they win, they win.

If you say they should not have won, if they do, then other teams, that were supposed to be better (Alabama, Houston, Kansas, Purdue, UCLA, etc.), should not have lost their games.

It is not fair to say to anyone that has won this tournament that their victory was a fluke.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Why would it be a fluke? If they win, they win.

If you say they should not have won, if they do, then other teams, that were supposed to be better (Alabama, Houston, Kansas, Purdue, UCLA, etc.), should not have lost their games.

It is not fair to say to anyone that has won this tournament that their victory was a fluke.

I’ll take some fluke titles for Texas all day.

• Hook 'Em 3

22 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I think that is just part of this type of tournament that I am willing to live with.

I think if you reseed the final four then, inevitably, someone will say, "let's reseed the Sweet 16", and I'd rather not see that happen.

I only want the Final 4 to be reseeded.  Agree that the Sweet 16 should stay as is.  Don't like let's say a #2 vs #4 in one semi-final and a #9 vs #6 in the other. 

Just believe there's a need to reseed the Final 4 to improve the chances for a better National Championship Game.

10 hours ago, aggie08 said:

I know your brand is being a complete moron, but there's not a single team without a title that wouldn't trade for Gonzaga's tournament success over the past decade. Shit, even Virginia might trade them.

Saying those first 9 words to that poster (to be fair Helo would have counted too) is the funniest thing I’ve read on this site in a long time. 

2 hours ago, Underdog said:

This could possibly be UConn's 4th title from a FF site in Texas... SA, Houston, Dallas and Houston?  Their first title came in St. Pete vs Duke. 

I was there in St Pete! I was 18 and my dad won tickets in the NCAA lottery. I think we were in the second to last row in the stadium 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Protect the ball. Avoid fouls. They aren’t bad at that per se but they aren’t great either. 

Yeah, UCONN is 233rd in offensive TO%. They don't handle pressure well.

Texas is #19 in defensive TO% by the way. Need to beat Miami of course but the way you beat UCONN is applying pressure because they are very prone to turning the ball over. 

UConn is playing the way we all want our teams to play in march(Texas is as well). Every team has deficiencies and can play bad in a one game setting, We will see how we do today and as a Texas fan we all know that we can go ice cold from the field and have had games where our defense looks terrible. Given the moment I highly doubt we will see a lack of effort on the defensive end of the floor.

22 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Final four can never be reseeded. The speak of the tournament to half of America is the brackets and gambling associated with them. Completely unworkable for the average fan. 

Agreed. I was watching something where they said that the bracket is the greatest piece of adverstising/promotion ever invented. It's hard to argue with that. Everyone loves the bracket.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

i am sorry that your overwhelming success in baskets clearly offsets your abysmal projections in mlb, which is supposed to be your favorite. 

I hardly follow basketball, but even I know what teams have the magic. UConn is one of them. Like someone else pointed out, 5 total prior FFs for them, but 4 titles. They just don’t lose in March. Or April I guess

• Pancho unpinned this topic