2023 NCAA Tournament - Elite 8

Pancho

What was wrong with the foul?  It forced them to inbound and reset.

He fouled with 3 or 4 seconds on shot clock and 7 seconds on game clock. If he misses Creighton boards they gets time out and a chance to win.

Instead there’s a foul with now no shot clock ensuing SDSU was going to get the last shot.

Even calling the timeout before fts was dumb. They coulda inbounded and called time out immediately to advance to half court with ~1 second left

Instead he’s left with full court heaving an inbound if had he made the first ft and intentionally missed #2, they’re heaving a 95 footer with no timeouts
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

4 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

He fouled with 3 or 4 seconds on shot clock and 7 seconds on game clock. If he misses Creighton boards they gets time out and a chance to win.

Instead there’s a foul with now no shot clock ensuing SDSU was going to get the last shot.

Even calling the timeout before fts was dumb. They coulda inbounded and called time out immediately to advance to half court with ~1 second left

Instead he’s left with full court heaving an inbound if had he made the first ft and intentionally missed #2, they’re heaving a 95 footer with no timeouts

Yep. Horribly mismanaged. Make sdsu use the shot clock up. 

I never reffed but I did coach and I used to always crank up the aggressiveness on defense the last 10 seconds in situations like that because the majority of the time refs won’t end a game like that on a whistle. Keep your man in front of you and then you aren’t on his hip with your hand on his hip and forcing the red to make a call.

2 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

True but Kellogg says foul and Barkley says no foul. Or you just saying they’re idiots just because they are? Haha

Barkley because he was, essentially, saying that you shouldn't call a foul in the final moments.  So, he wants to give players permission to hack away without penalty.  Dumb.

Kellogg because he was trying to argue that they should just accept the time the clock started on the inbound without examination. Also dumb.

How about Kenny and his hand-held stopwatch diatribe?  Does he think that the game clock is electronically timed?

Throwing it like an end of game Hail Mary Into the end zone was also dumb. Fire a quick hitter to a guy sprinting near half court and he’ll get up a cleaner look than whoever could’ve had they even caught the inbound 100 foot heave

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

You missed his point completely. 

You assume Kenny Smith has a point.  

To me he was trying to ignore the human element within the use of technology.  The guy was a hair late starting the clock so they timed it independently which is correct.  He could not seem to process that. Then I changed the channel 

51 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

But that Creighton guy stepped on the line on that inbound pass which had it been called really would have given Creighton a much better shot given what happened right before on SDSU's last inbound attempt 

You can step on the line on an inbounds throw. You can’t step over the line. 

24 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Definitely a terrible call. Makes up for the clean block that Hunter had that resulted in two made FTs for Miami, tho.

I must have been taking a piss when that happened 

This Texas/UConn matchup that's brewing is gonna be insane. Both teams very skilled and very confident.

13 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Morris and Cunningham with 13 points. 10 more than we could ask for. 

Game is there for Texas taking. They're better than Miami. Just have to finish it off. 

Cunningham has been the biggest surprise for me. I'm fairly certain he had more fouls than points before this season started and now he's a legit 3 and D guy.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Brian Fantana said:

Cunningham has been the biggest surprise for me. I'm fairly certain he had more fouls than points before this season started and now he's a legit 3 and D guy.

He's the player every successful team needs - hustles, great rebounder, passes well and all in all will do whatever you need.

2 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:
4 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

He's the player every successful team needs - hustles, great rebounder, passes well and all in all will do whatever you need.

Brock is an unsung hero. Most criticized guy on the squad--probably cuz he's undersized and white--but he works his ass off on both ends of the court. He's always been an absolute pest of a defender, and extended/created extra possessions with his passing and rebounding.

This season, however, he's got confidence in his shot and is making opponents pay for leaving him unguarded.

• Like 1

Just now, Braff Zacklin said:

Haha I love you most days, Brian, but you are being insincere af rn.

I'm sure you're grinning ear to ear and were quietly celebrating some of the fuckery that just occurred.

Not gonna lie, I have had some gummies today and I fell asleep before the 2nd half started. Woke up when it was 77 all. I didn't see anything egregious but I was groggy. Are you talking about the foul on Cunningham? On replay, I thought that one was legit.

I know it's the internet and all, and you don't really know me but that's not really how I operate. I don't really give a shit about inter-school tribalism. It's all just great basketball to me and icing on the cake if my team is doing well. Plus, I've said numerous times I grew up in a Longhorn family and I have a lot of proxy fanhood rubbed off on me as a result. I was literally screaming at the TV when Carr wasn't passing the ball to Allen when he had Pack in prison in the paint.

That said, I might have been smiling a little if Beard was still coaching, but you gotta give me that one.

2 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

That said, I might have been smiling a little if Beard was still coaching, but you gotta give me that one.

Agree on this, but disagree on the Cunningham call--not remotely possible to "undercut" a guy that big and strong if he's not already on your back, which replays conclusively demonstrated was the case.

Even if Omier was off his feet and slightly leaning over Brock, Cunningham isn't gonna flip him like that. Only way for that to happen is for Omier to have completely been on Brock's back before Brock started moving. Instead of a tie game, Texas ball, and Omier fouled out, Miami receives (and makes) two free throws, Omier stays in the game, and gets a steal on the next possession.

Monstrous call.

But Texas absolutely got stupid and/or lazy on offense. Not sure why the 'Horns tried to play hero ball the final 10 minutes. Super frustrating, but doesn't excuse reffing incompetence at that critical point. Especially to collaborate and apparently change their initial call.

6 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Agree on this, but disagree on the Cunningham call--not remotely possible to "undercut" a guy that big and strong if he's not already on your back, which replays conclusively demonstrated was the case.

Even if Omier was off his feet and slightly leaning over Brock, Cunningham isn't gonna flip him like that. Only way for that to happen is for Omier to have completely been on Brock's back before Brock started moving. Instead of a tie game, Texas ball, and Omier fouled out, Miami receives (and makes) two free throws, Omier stays in the game, and gets a steal on the next possession.

Monstrous call.

But Texas absolutely got stupid and/or lazy on offense. Not sure why the 'Horns tried to play hero ball the final 10 minutes. Super frustrating, but doesn't excuse reffing incompetence at that critical point. Especially to collaborate and apparently change their initial call.

Yeah this was the biggest thing I saw. I wish I hadn't fallen asleep for most of the 2nd half, but it looked like y'all reverted to some bad habits you had last year in the last 3ish minutes.

Just now, Brian Fantana said:

Yeah this was the biggest thing I saw. I wish I hadn't fallen asleep for most of the 2nd half, but it looked like y'all reverted to some bad habits you had last year in the last 3ish minutes.

It was closer to the final 10 minutes. Like, Texas got up by 13 or 14, and suddenly, the offense became too much of Timmy trying to back his way in, or Carr dribbling the air out of the ball, only to hoist up a very difficult shot.

Not having Disu didn't help. And Rice and Carr both went out for a few minutes after taking some knocks, so that's probably the biggest contributor for why the offense stalled. Either way, very disappointing, which makes that changed call on Brock even more egregious, imo.

• Rage+1 1

• Pancho unpinned this topic