Austin post Wedding Dinner Places

Hermanator

So my sister in law is in the stages of planning a small family only wedding ceremony in Austin with about 25 people. Not a traditional wedding at all, basically a little ceremony and they're looking for ideas of a place to reserve for a dinner afterwards. Nothing top of the line spendy but still a nice place. They asked me for ideas because they know I went to UT but I haven't lived in Austin since 2008. 

What part of town?  That's the main question.  Most likely you are going to need to book way ahead, and you are going to be looking at places that cater to corporate customers for the most part that have private dining space.  If you are NW you might consider Maggiano's in the Domain.  Good covered parking for drop off, with covered garage steps away. Weather is a bitch sometimes around weddings.  We did an anniversary party there a few years back and a private room and it worked out well without a nose bleed cost.

But mainly what part of town?

10 minutes ago, royiv said:

Olive & June does a really nice job with private dinners this size. I've been to several over the years there and the food, service and atmosphere have all been very good.

Do they have an indoor room for private dinners?  I've only been to events on the roof, which is really nice, but . . . rain would suck.

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Do they have an indoor room for private dinners?  I've only been to events on the roof, which is really nice, but . . . rain would suck.

Yes, there are indoor rooms on the second and third floors.

There used to be a restaurant in the southern part of Austin that seemed like a nice place for a wedding party.  Not sure if it's still open, but it was called Green somethingorother...Green Fields, Green Meadows, Green Acres...I can't recall, but it was located on a fairly large property, with lots of huge live oaks, and had peacocks wandering all over the place.

Just did a quick Google search...it is still there, apparently changed management and is now called Mattie's at Green Pastures.

Edited by 83Horn

4 hours ago, horn4life said:

What part of town?  That's the main question.  Most likely you are going to need to book way ahead, and you are going to be looking at places that cater to corporate customers for the most part that have private dining space.  If you are NW you might consider Maggiano's in the Domain.  Good covered parking for drop off, with covered garage steps away. Weather is a bitch sometimes around weddings.  We did an anniversary party there a few years back and a private room and it worked out well without a nose bleed cost.

But mainly what part of town?

Mostly around the University/downtown area or a 20 min drive in any direction. 

Thanks for the ideas

52 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

If you are NW you might consider Maggiano's in the Domain.  Good covered parking for drop off, with covered garage steps away. Weather is a bitch sometimes around weddings.

Request: Hey let's do something Austin-like

Answer: Not only Maggiano's (chain) but Maggiano's at The Domain (least Austin-like place in Austin)

200.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Matties at Green Pastures remains a popular wedding venue.  Haven't eaten there since the ownership change.

If seafood is the aim, Salt Traders Zilker has a nice private back room.

Clay Pit is indeed a really cool venue, and good food.

Pro tip: it might be pricey, but you can rent out Franklin BBQ -- the whole place -- for dinner, flat fee, I think.

County Line does have a private room -- mediocre bbq, but you know what you're getting.  Out of towners might dig it.

I think Hoovers has a private room?  Definitely an informal vibe with home cooking and whatnot, but could be what they want.

56 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Matties at Green Pastures remains a popular wedding venue.  Haven't eaten there since the ownership change.

If seafood is the aim, Salt Traders Zilker has a nice private back room.

Clay Pit is indeed a really cool venue, and good food.

Pro tip: it might be pricey, but you can rent out Franklin BBQ -- the whole place -- for dinner, flat fee, I think.

County Line does have a private room -- mediocre bbq, but you know what you're getting.  Out of towners might dig it.

I think Hoovers has a private room?  Definitely an informal vibe with home cooking and whatnot, but could be what they want.

Franklin has a 50 person minimum.  So if they are going to have 25 or so,  the per head cost would go from kinda pricey to really fucking pricey.  If you have 50 people to feed on a special occasion Franklin ain’t that much more expensive than other options if you’re ok with better food and worse booze.  

28 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Franklin has a 50 person minimum.  So if they are going to have 25 or so,  the per head cost would go from kinda pricey to really fucking pricey.  If you have 50 people to feed on a special occasion Franklin ain’t that much more expensive than other options if you’re ok with better food and worse booze.  

When you did it, you got your money's worth.

Because I ate for 5.  Maybe 6.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

We had our rehearsal dinner there -- County Line on the Lake.  Don't crucify me, it was 2001.  It wasn't great.  Avoid.

27 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

When you did it, you got your money's worth.

Because I ate for 5.  Maybe 6.

We probably got a better deal the next night with the open bar for $40/adult, as the wife’s cousins, and she has a lot of them and they are all younger, and our mutual friends did some damage, but I certainly appreciate your effort in maximizing my ROI.

3 hours ago, texasdago said:

Request: Hey let's do something Austin-like

Answer: Not only Maggiano's (chain) but Maggiano's at The Domain (least Austin-like place in Austin)

200.gif

Did you write that in the quote box? I never said that, I'm the one who asked the question in the first place. I'm confused

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

We had our rehearsal dinner there -- County Line on the Lake.  Don't crucify me, it was 2001.  It wasn't great.  Avoid.

County Line is not a bad choice for this sort of thing. Out of towners love it and it is crowd pleasing. 

Fonda San Miguel is very Austin and they do a nice job with these things. It feels unique and memorable to people. 

4 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

hmmm, I might need to get married in Austin 

Roaring Fork downtown in the Stephen F Austin does have access to a room I am fairly certain.  I think that some of the newer East Side venues may have some room capability.  I know Suerte has a room but don't know how large (24 from link below) .  Salt Trader that was also mentioned would be good and it's near Zilker if that's convenient. 

Here is a decent list.  This request made me curious because we may do something downtown for a birthday this fall. https://memo.thevendry.com/private-dining-room-austin/. Has at least some photos of the spaces. Most importantly they have capacity listed for the rooms! Uchiko has a 34 person space and would be a neat memory.