You Austin fools be rich

closetohumping

I need each of you that live within the central Texas area to venmo me ten dollars.  Didn't know ya'all were doing this well, hanging with the big boys:

Average Reported Income Per IRS Tax Return, 2020
San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara $190,372
Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk $167,802
San Francisco-Oakland-Berkeley $154,404
Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue $117,955
Boston-Cambridge-Newton $115,236
Austin-Round Rock-Georgetown $106,333
Washington-Arlington-Alexandria $102,776
New York-Newark-Jersey City $96,519
North Port-Sarasota-Bradenton $95,466
Denver-Aurora-Lakewood $91,372
Miami-Ft Lauderdale-Pompano Beach $88,798
Minneapolis-St Paul-Bloomington $88,400
Raleigh-Cary $87,448
Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington $86,830
Oxnard-Thousand Oaks-Ventura $86,180
San Diego-Chula Vista-Carlsbad $85,745
Madison $85,306
Chicago-Naperville-Elgin $85,023
Baltimore-Columbia-Towson $84,748
Cape Coral-Ft Myers $84,714
Albany-Schenectady-Troy $84,455
Portland-Vancouver-Hillsboro $84,241
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim $83,522
Durham-Chapel Hill $83,399
Dallas-Ft Worth-Arlington $83,163
Hartford-East Hartford-Middletown $81,481
Nashville-Murfreesboro-Frankin $81,270
Charleston-North Charleston $80,932
Salt Lake City $80,850
Omaha-Council Bluffs $80,059
Boise $78,890
Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia $78,300
Anchorage $78,150
Sacramento-Roseville-Folsom $77,520
Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land $77,252
Worcester $76,712
Richmond $76,624
Des Moines-West Des Moines $76,436
St Louis $76,364
Kansas City $76,319
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Alpharetta $76,309
Phoenix-Mesa-Chandler $75,883
Milwaukee-Waukesha $75,856
Cincinnati $75,558
New Haven-Milford $75,260
Jacksonville $74,965
Honolulu $74,187
Grand Rapids-Kentwood $73,882
Pittsburgh $73,585
Birmingham-Hoover $73,274
Colorado Springs $72,398
Columbus $72,351
Indianapolis-Carmel-Anderson $71,720
Detroit-Warren-Dearborn $71,558
Knoxville $71,549
Providence-Warwick $71,196
Tampa-St Petersburg-Clearwater $71,019
Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton $70,563
Wichita $69,833
Harrisburg-Carlisle $69,645
Cleveland-Elyria $69,060
Las Vegas-Henderson-Paradise $68,487
San Antonio-New Braunfels $67,388
Louisville $66,851
Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Newport News $66,308
Syracuse $65,869
Akron $65,677
Oklahoma City $65,859
Springfield(MA) $65,260
Rochester $65,020
Tulsa $64,497
Buffalo-Cheektowaga $64,075
Greenville-Anderson $64,058
Little Rock-North Little Rock-Conway $64,025
Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford $63,045
Baton Rouge $63,030
Tucson $62,998
Stockton $62,899
Memphis $62,604
Dayton-Kettering $62,155
Albuquerque $61,812
New Orleans $61,755
Winston-Salem $61,016
Columbia(SC) $60,683
Toledo $60,750
Deltona-Daytona Beach-Ormond $60,068
Greensboro-High Point $59,766
Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario $58,103
Fresno $55,584
Bakersfield $54,285
Lakeland-Winter Haven $51,605
El Paso $45,197
McAllen-Edinburgh-Mission $39,067

Source: https://www.irs.gov/statistics/soi-t...unty-data-2020

• Hook 'Em 1

Weird thing is that even if doing well, it sure as hell don't feel like it. Any sort of "dream home" is $1.5 million here. Anything sub-$800k or so is relatively modest. 

Seriously, who is filling all these million-dollar plus homes in the city that have $20,000 in property taxes annually? I get lawyers/doctors/tech founders... but damn are there that many?

Just now, FirstTimeCaller said:

Weird thing is that even if doing well, it sure as hell don't feel like it. Any sort of "dream home" is $1.5 million here. Anything sub-$800k or so is relatively modest. 

Seriously, who is filling all these million-dollar plus homes in the city that have $20,000 in property taxes annually? I get lawyers/doctors/tech founders... but damn are there that many?

This is a shakedown.  It's Surly posters.  I didn't know these guys were doing so well.  I need money, and I got dirt.  PMs being sent now.

10 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

the source website doesn't work. looks like it "..." some of the name. Can you please repost?

https://www.irs.gov/statistics/soi-tax-stats-county-data-2020

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

It’s crazy to see that number for Houston and think about how much more our household income is and how I don’t feel rich. At all. Well, I know I am not but damn, a lot of poverty in this city.

Right there with you. It’s damn near impossible to own a home inside 610 with less than $250k/$300k per year.

• Like 1

Sorry, this post is hard to read from the back seat of my chauffer-driven Bentley.  Can you post a summary of your point?  Shit, maybe it's hard to read because of the Grey Poupon I accidentally got on my phone screen.  Guess I'll have my assistant buy me a new phone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

Pflugerville probably dragging it down some

It is always @Derka's fault. 

16 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

Right there with you. It’s damn near impossible to own a home inside 610 with less than $250k/$300k per year.

Not if you bought between 2008 and 2013. 

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Sorry, this post is hard to read from the back seat of my chauffer-driven Bentley.  Can you post a summary of your point?  Shit, maybe it's hard to read because of the Grey Poupon I accidentally got on my phone screen.  Guess I'll have my assistant buy me a new phone.

fucking Brisket is Thomas J Henry????

maxresdefault.jpg

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Who has a chauffer drive a Bentley? You're supposed to drive those yourself. Get a Rolls if you want to be driven. 

5 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Who has a chauffer drive a Bentley? You're supposed to drive those yourself. Get a Rolls if you want to be driven. 

Yep.  Brisket is what we would call noveau riche 

6 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

That motherfuckers commercials run every other minute down along the coastal bend. My dad hates it haha.

The guy is a schmuck

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

If I was to come into a serious sum of money, I'd absolutely be gauche and tacky.  But in unique and eccentric ways that you wouldn't even expect.

We all know you would buy Truth Social for treefiddy, rebrand it as “The Ledge” and grift us Surly libtards with January 6th commission commemorative coins and shit.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Like bedazzle your ballsack with rubies and emeralds? Been on my list of wants for awhile too.

6 minutes ago, Goredho said:

We all know you would buy Truth Social for treefiddy, rebrand it as “The Ledge” and grift us Surly libtards with January 6th commission commemorative coins and shit.

Gotdamn, this place is a free idea generator -- keep 'em coming, gents!

16 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

So, just the average West Austin lawyer?

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

If I was to come into a serious sum of money, I'd absolutely be gauche and tacky.  But in unique and eccentric ways that you wouldn't even expect.

My 84 year old brother is worth upwards of 8 figures. 
He has two Mercedes & a Jeep Wrangler in his garage, but his daily driver is a 1997 Saturn sedan. 
And he wears jorts with his t-shirts in the summer.

3 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

My 84 year old brother is worth upwards of 8 figures. 
He has two Mercedes & a Jeep Wrangler in his garage, but his daily driver is a 1997 Saturn sedan. 
And he wears jorts with his t-shirts in the summer.

Money can’t buy class

I read somewhere that a $100k salary in NYC feels like $36k when adjusting for all the factors, etc.

I’d be curious to see that same treatment for cities like Austin and even Houston and Dallas, where nominally on paper it seems like you make a lot of money, but it doesn’t “feel” like it at the end of the month or year.

edit to add: link 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-03-15/new-york-city-prices-make-100-000-salary-feel-like-35-000#xj4y7vzkg

Edited by HamsterHookah

52 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

I read somewhere that a $100k salary in NYC feels like $36k when adjusting for all the factors, etc.

I’d be curious to see that same treatment for cities like Austin and even Houston and Dallas, where nominally on paper it seems like you make a lot of money, but it doesn’t “feel” like it at the end of the month or year.

edit to add: link 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-03-15/new-york-city-prices-make-100-000-salary-feel-like-35-000#xj4y7vzkg

Now add in child support and the actual cost of supporting your kids (sports fees, coaching, cars and insurance, clothes, etc) and it's even worse. But I digress. 

18 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Yep. Especially with a family. Therefore, it’s the burbs for me!

It’s ok, I am so sick all the fucking asshole drivers in Houston.

Not even that easy in the burbs (obv depends which).  I got very lucky we skipped the whole "1st house" thing and went straight into the upper end of the "second" from the get go.  Would be very difficult to wrap my head around today, even with very good jobs. 

14 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

During the early 2010s oil boom, Midland was the highest per capita income city in the country for a few years, ahead of Greenwich and the affluent Silicon Valley cities.  I assume last year with $100 dollar oil was probably the same.  Of course, 2020 probably had it at the bottom of the list. 

Shit, they had a Rolls Royce dealership in the 1980’s. Smallest city in the World to have that dealership. 

CHIEF

The thing is, my wife and don’t like to overextend ourselves financially. We pay down our credit card balance every month (but everything on it for the points so it’s easier to travel to Brazil). So even with a household income over $200k, which apparently is well above the average, I don’t feel comfortable going all McMansion. Not only do I think it’s unnecessary, but having a big house for the sake of keeping up with the Jones’s doesn’t interest me.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1