Tell me about Iowa State

Longboard Horn

I don’t get the hate for Campbell. Guy can coach and should have a chance to move if he wants to. They didn’t have the year they expected, but shit happens. The sound bite was dumb, but who cares. I hope he stays but understand if he leaves with all the openings.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, 'stache said:

I don’t get the hate for Campbell. Guy can coach and should have a chance to move if he wants to. They didn’t have the year they expected, but shit happens. The sound bite was dumb, but who cares. I hope he stays but understand if he leaves with all the openings.

Reminds me a lot of Herman in that he's a great motivator of underdogs. He had superior talent and experience this year and didn't know what to do with it. Wake me up when he beats his rival for the first time. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

When Texas fans have to drop “media rights $” smack on Iowa State fans, we’re truly living in the upside down.

I’m gonna a be honest man, I’m happy to not go to Ames. I get some don’t feel that way, maybe, but I live in SEC country so I’m gonna get to go to more games. Hope you can beat Iowa at some point. I know how it feels getting dominated by a rival.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m gonna a be honest man, I’m happy to not go to Ames. I get some don’t feel that way, maybe, but I live in SEC country so I’m gonna get to go to more games. Hope you can beat Iowa at some point. I know how it feels getting dominated by a rival.

Yeah, pretty much every single ISU fan is wildly annoyed that we don’t beat Iowa any more

7 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Reminds me a lot of Herman in that he's a great motivator of underdogs. He had superior talent and experience this year and didn't know what to do with it. Wake me up when he beats his rival for the first time. 

Yeah, 5-4 in B12 and 7-5 overall with that strong returning roster is a huge disappointment for Matt Campbell and the Cyclones for the 2021 season...

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Damn, rough news about Pollard. Obviously hope for permanent remission.

Updated: 12:10 PM CST Dec 1, 2021

ISU’s Jamie Pollard tells Cyclone fans he has cancer

AMES, Iowa —  Iowa State University Athletic Director Jamie Pollard told Cyclone fans in a letter Tuesday that he was recently diagnosed with cancer.

Pollard wrote that he was diagnosed with testicular cancer. Pollard said he struggled with the idea of sharing the diagnosis publicly but wanted to do so to be as transparent as possible. Pollard missed a public appearance last week while undergoing surgery due to the cancer. Pollard was similarly transparent when he underwent open-heart surgery in 2015.

Pollard said after surgery, a CT scan and additional blood work determined that the cancer has not spread. He said he will follow his medical team's advice moving forward to determine the best next steps.

Read the full letter to fans below:

"Dear Cyclone Fans,

"As a public leader, it is extremely challenging to draw the appropriate boundaries around one's personal and professional lives. Unless you have served in such a capacity, it is probably hard to understand that dynamic. Thus, I have attempted to be very transparent during my tenure as your Director of Athletics.

"I was recently diagnosed with testicular cancer. I debated sharing this information widely to avoid my diagnosis being a distraction to our athletics program. However, the reality of hiding the news has also been stressful. Last week, I was scheduled to speak to more than 500 individuals in Benton Auditorium, a commitment made months ago. Regrettably, I had to miss my appearance on very short notice (due to surgery) and it was disheartening to be unable to share the real reason for my cancellation.

"I also have a wonderful opportunity to use my platform as Director of Athletics to help others, who may be dealing with similar challenges. When I had open-heart surgery in 2015, it allowed me to encourage others battling similar heart issues. By sharing some details of my cancer diagnosis and treatment plan, I can emphasize the critical importance of early detection as it relates to cancer survival rates.

"About four weeks ago, I started to feel pain in my groin after a running workout. After several days of irritation, I identified a lump on my right testicle. After seeing a doctor for an ultrasound, it was determined that surgery was necessary. I had that testicle removed last Tuesday afternoon and, unfortunately, learned a day later it was cancerous. That was sobering news to hear the day before Thanksgiving.

"This past Monday I had a CT scan and additional blood work. My wife, Ellen, and I met with the urologist (who performed my surgery) in the afternoon and learned the cancer had not spread from the original site. Furthermore, my bloodwork (i.e., tumor markers) was still testing normal. Both of those results were welcome news!

"We also discussed next options, which include doing nothing other than monitoring my blood work and performing CT scans every 3-6 months, undergoing chemotherapy, or beginning radiation treatments. We visit an oncologist this Friday to learn more about my treatment options.

"I hope that I have limited the extent of my cancer through early detection and treatment. I am grateful for the doctors and medical providers here in Ames, who have been incredibly accessible and responsive to my case. Furthermore, my loving, and faithful family and a few co-workers and friends who knew of my condition have been incredibly supportive and encouraging the past several days.

"It is important to me to publicly thank my wife, Ellen. Although it is one thing for me to deal with the professional / personal boundaries, Ellen has had to deal with those same boundaries countless times, both as a mother and wife. It takes a really strong and special person to navigate that landscape.

"In closing, I feel blessed to know the cancer has not spread and am ready to follow what my medical team feels is the best course of treatment. As Coach Campbell likes to say, "Trust the Process." That's exactly what I'm going to do.

"Thank you for your continued support."

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...