Tell me about Iowa State

Longboard Horn

37 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

I don't know what to think about the Busch Beer stuff. Part of me thinks it's funny and then the other part thinks it's sad. 

Should be a good game tonight. 

I've usually found the guys at Wide Right and Natty Lite to be pretty funny. Nothing wrong with embracing college kids' affinity for swill.

We are in San Antonio for the Alamo Bowl. Never have seen the place packed with so many fans from one school - it’s all ISU by the tens of thousands. There must not be anyone left in Iowa (as someone already mentioned). The Cyclones have really travelled well for this game. Have seen exactly five Wazzoo fans so far.

Damn bar here at the Grand Hyatt on the Riverwalk won’t start serving booze until noon.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

We are in San Antonio for the Alamo Bowl. Never have seen the place packed with so many fans from one school - it’s all ISU by the tens of thousands. There must not be anyone left in Iowa (as someone already mentioned). The Cyclones have really travelled well for this game. Have seen exactly five Wazzoo fans so far.

Damn bar here at the Grand Hyatt on the Riverwalk won’t start serving booze until noon.

It’s like @Al_4_ISU has said before, ISU fans travel. Don’t be surprised if they drink the bars on the river walk dry.

1 hour ago, Longboard Horn said:

It’s like @Al_4_ISU has said before, ISU fans travel. Don’t be surprised if they drink the bars on the river walk dry.

Well it's currently 8 degrees with 25 mph wind and just stopped snowing here.  You'd want to get the fuck outta Iowa right now too.  I'm stuck here at work.

Sounds like everyone is loving the River Walk...and drinking a lot of Busch Light.

Have seen several ISU guys totin’ 12 packs of Bud Lite around. Lol

The Cylone guy at the table next to us on the sunny patio at Pat O’Brien’s said the only people left in Iowa are the dog sitters, and they were from Illinois.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Like 1

Have seen several ISU guys totin’ 12 packs of Bud Lite around. Lol
The Cylone guy at the table next to us on the sunny patio at Pat O’Brien’s said the only people left in Iowa are the dog sitters, and they were from Illinois.

I believe in San Antonio it’s pronounced “Boood Light”

Settled into Alamo Seats.  We took this town over.  I’m drunk, but not creamed.  We have enjoyed the Riverwalk.  We spent s lifetime at Mi Tierra last night but that fucking goat was delicious.  Hiked Govt Canyon this AM.  Drove out to Bandera for the fuck of it.  The Hill Country is gorgeous.  Lots of Lone Star down the gullet.  I like Texas more every time I visit.  Y’all keep doing you.

Go Clones

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Settled into Alamo Seats.  We took this town over.  I’m drunk, but not creamed.  We have enjoyed the Riverwalk.  We spent s lifetime at Mi Tierra last night but that fucking goat was delicious.  Hiked Govt Canyon this AM.  Drove out to Bandera for the fuck of it.  The Hill Country is gorgeous.  Lots of Lone Star down the gullet.  I like Texas more every time I visit.  Y’all keep doing you.

Go Clones

Good luck in the game.  Pulling for y’all to win.

• Like 1

Fully expected.  He needs to go get paid.  Another year in college won't boost his draft stock, and he's got a 5 year window to cash out.  Would love to see him go to KC to replace Hunt (also a Campbell product).

I think the long term benefit of being able to put kids into the league outweighs one more year of DM in Ames.  We have some serious talent (by our standards) coming into that position next fall.

Will be interesting to see what Butler does.  He has more of an opportunity to play himself into a bigger check over the next season by cleaning up the routine drops.

21 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

Butler tore up opposing defenses this year.  The fact that he (and LJH) couldn't crack the all-conference lists should be a travesty.  But in the Big XII this year is a tribute to the insane level of talent at that position.

In terms of raw talent, he's an absolute freak.  But I think he drops enough balls and has some work to do on his route running to be a Day 1 pick.  He has the athleticism to reach that.

If he's got a team ready to draft him in the first round, then fuck it, get out of Ames.  But I think if he left now he's looking at a 3rd-5th round pick.  He could legitimately be a 1st-2nd rounder if he cleans up the drops.  He doesn't have parents to support or any kids, so the pressure on him to grab cash RIGHT NOW isn't as high as it is on some guys.  It wouldn't shock me if he declares, but (unlike Montgomery) he has an opportunity to improve his financial position with another year of college ball.

4 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

In terms of raw talent, he's an absolute freak.  But I think he drops enough balls and has some work to do on his route running to be a Day 1 pick.  He has the athleticism to reach that.

If he's got a team ready to draft him in the first round, then fuck it, get out of Ames.  But I think if he left now he's looking at a 3rd-5th round pick.  He could legitimately be a 1st-2nd rounder if he cleans up the drops.  He doesn't have parents to support or any kids, so the pressure on him to grab cash RIGHT NOW isn't as high as it is on some guys.  It wouldn't shock me if he declares, but (unlike Montgomery) he has an opportunity to improve his financial position with another year of college ball.

Intellectually I accept what you're saying as true.  It's still difficult to process considering the damage he did against some good defenses the last couple of years.  5-10 years ago when big receivers were all the rage in the NFL somebody would take him on spec in the 2nd round.  Look how many unpolished freak athletes they draft from the SEC every year.  With the pendulum back towards smaller, quicker guys you may get to keep Butler for another year.  Like LJ, I expect Hakeem to kick some butt next year.  We just don't know if it will be in the Big XII or the NFL.

13 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

Intellectually I accept what you're saying as true.  It's still difficult to process considering the damage he did against some good defenses the last couple of years.  5-10 years ago when big receivers were all the rage in the NFL somebody would take him on spec in the 2nd round.  Look how many unpolished freak athletes they draft from the SEC every year.  With the pendulum back towards smaller, quicker guys you may get to keep Butler for another year.  Like LJ, I expect Hakeem to kick some butt next year.  We just don't know if it will be in the Big XII or the NFL.

I'm a Vikings fan, so I'm painfully aware of this sort of thing.

5 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

If Butler does come back it'll be huge...but I don't see it.  And he's already graduated (if that makes any difference at all).

12 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Yup. I'll be happy with 6 wins.  Our defense is still going to be among the best in the league, but we don't have a proven game breaker at WR or RB.

I dunno, Jones and Milton will be pretty good and we might get that Miami transfer (Cager).  Plus Kolar & Allen will be good options at TE.  We can't replace Butler but I think we can manage.  And we very well could have a game-breaker in the RB stable in Kene, he's been hidden behind DM.  If we only win six games it'll be on the OL and I agree that it could very well happen. 

The difference between 6 and 8 wins is 100% on our O line at this point.  The other skill guys are good enough to get us there, but if Purdy is running for his life all fall, and we can't run the ball conventionally, it'll be a struggle.

The best line Campbell has had in Ames was actually the one with all of Rhoads' guys, oddly enough.

Campbell has made ISU into one of the top defenses in the Big XII.  He's one shutdown CB away from doing really bad things to a bunch of spread teams.  As things stand I think he'll need 30 points from the offense in most conference games.  If Purdy beats the sophomore slump and improves in year 2 like Sam Ehlinger, I think that can happen if the running game is even serviceable. 

26 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

Campbell has made ISU into one of the top defenses in the Big XII.  He's one shutdown CB away from doing really bad things to a bunch of spread teams.  As things stand I think he'll need 30 points from the offense in most conference games.  If Purdy beats the sophomore slump and improves in year 2 like Sam Ehlinger, I think that can happen if the running game is even serviceable. 

That's a huge concern of mine.  He isn't going to have 32 and 18 to lean on.  He's shown the ability to make plays on his own, but those two made life a lot easier.  As I said earlier, the key is line play.  If Purdy has time to operate and a serviceable running game, he will be very effective with the personnel that we already have.

18 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

No clue.  I don't follow recruiting much.

Just met an Iowa State grad at the bar I'm at. He was wearing his Letterman ring - said he played football there (he was a gray hair - probably the 50s or 60s would be when he played).

One of the biggest loud-mouth douchebags I've ever met in my life.

Just kidding. He was utterly pleasant. Sent a daughter to UT and has hopped on the bandwagon now I think. Told him there are a lot of assholes in the big 12 but I'd never met an ISU fan I didnt like. 

His response was "well, you know, it's the midwest". 

Cyclone on my friends.

• Like 2

Just adding to this thread.....

This has flown under the radar, but Matt Campbell happy to get this former Asst Coach back at Iowa State from Indianapolis Colts....

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa-state/randy-peterson/2019/01/18/iowa-state-football-tom-manning-returns-coaching-staff-offensive-coordinator-indianapolis-colts/2614649002/

4 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Just adding to this thread.....

This has flown under the radar, but Matt Campbell happy to get this former Asst Coach back at Iowa State from Indianapolis Colts....

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa-state/randy-peterson/2019/01/18/iowa-state-football-tom-manning-returns-coaching-staff-offensive-coordinator-indianapolis-colts/2614649002/

I’m pretty thrilled with it.  Manning was a very solid OC and a better OL coach.  Our offensive line is the difference between 6 wins and 9.

On 1/12/2019 at 9:01 PM, ztejas said:

Just met an Iowa State grad at the bar I'm at. He was wearing his Letterman ring - said he played football there (he was a gray hair - probably the 50s or 60s would be when he played).

One of the biggest loud-mouth douchebags I've ever met in my life.

Just kidding. He was utterly pleasant. Sent a daughter to UT and has hopped on the bandwagon now I think. Told him there are a lot of assholes in the big 12 but I'd never met an ISU fan I didnt like. 

His response was "well, you know, it's the midwest". 

Cyclone on my friends.

That’s awesome!  In my experience, the only Big 12 fans I’ve found douchey in real life are Baylor and KU basketball fans. 

32 minutes ago, 'stache said:

You sir have obviously never met an OU fan. And to be clear I mean a fan, not an alum.

Norman is one of two Big 12 towns I’ve yet to attend a football game.  But I sat next to a bunch of OU fans when we beat them in the 2015 Big 12 b-ball tournament and they were pretty gracious 

3 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Norman is one of two Big 12 towns I’ve yet to attend a football game.  But I sat next to a bunch of OU fans when we beat them in the 2015 Big 12 b-ball tournament and they were pretty gracious 

B-Ball folks are nothing like their football fans...

30 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

B-Ball folks are nothing like their football fans...

I’ve been to a lot of OU/ISU games at Trice and never had an issue.

I realize it’s a 100% different dynamic than with OSU or UT fans.  We’ve never been any kind of threat to OU.  Just 85 years of guaranteed wins.  They’re proportionally benevolent to us.

Im sure there are a bunch of obnoxious OU fans, I’ve just been lucky enough to avoid them.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

• 3 weeks later...

Not new, but gonna be hard to keep Matt Campbell around for more than 2-3 more years at Iowa State....... 6 NFL Teams inquired about him during this off-season.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa-state/football/2019/02/05/iowa-state-cyclones-matt-campbell-big-12-conference-nfl-new-york-jets-green-bay-packers-hirings/2776191002/

• Like 1

While the NFL is shifting to the spread, both the cutting edge and the hidebound old school guys should love Campbell.  He has shown the ability to really limit top shelf Air Raid offenses (OU and WVU) and he runs an offense that should appeal to the run-first crowd.  It's pretty rare that a coach can appeal to both the guys who don't want to change and those pushing hard for change.  I really wish ISU could pay him enough to keep him in Ames.  He's made the Big XII a better conference.

8 hours ago, sushihorn said:

While the NFL is shifting to the spread, both the cutting edge and the hidebound old school guys should love Campbell.  He has shown the ability to really limit top shelf Air Raid offenses (OU and WVU) and he runs an offense that should appeal to the run-first crowd.  It's pretty rare that a coach can appeal to both the guys who don't want to change and those pushing hard for change.  I really wish ISU could pay him enough to keep him in Ames.  He's made the Big XII a better conference.

Agreed. He's still really young and depending on what he wants he could turn ISU into Kansas State or dare I say it (Iowa) if he sticks around. He's a great coach and it will all depend on what he wants to do. But the longer he stays at Iowa State the better for them and the Big 12 as a whole.