Texas vs Miami- Elite 8- 4:05pm on CBS

shadow_operative

3 minutes ago, utxmike05 said:

Heater breaker for that team.

I knew it was gona be butt clincher when it seemed like were were burying them...yet there was still 10mins left! 2nd half took forever.  

Def disappeared.  Miami seemed like they made everything. Guards went cold.   Refs didn't help. I hate blaming them but they were swinging a lot of emotion and rhythm in miami favor. 

the 2nd half did take forever because the refs started calling every thing we did a foul so that Miami could come back.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, troph said:

Offense was great until carr lost his edge with that mid court collision. 

Unfortunately, Terry had to ride his super seniors in the end, banged up or not. Just don’t think it needed to be in Carr’s hands down 2.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

If we'd had a guy go 7-7 from the field and 13-13 from the line, we'd have been calling it one of the game's greatest performances ever. And rightly so. Regardless of how many FTs Miller really earned, that guy was a killer today. Has anyone on that stage ever hit all 20 attempts? Not even Walton. 

• Like 1

The blocking out call is tough and @Pancho could fill it in. The way I’ve seen that is the defender jumped before Brock ever started blocking out, he didn’t start blocking out till he jumped. It’s a weird call but they are very very serious about player safety and a guy in the air that gets his legs taken out is almost always an instant foul. But I could be wrong on if Brock had initiated contact before he jumped?

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

FYI.  There is no such thing as “over the back”.  The only foul from behind in that situation is a push.  

You are only partly correct.  There is no "over the back" definition in basketball.  But there is absolutely about 50 ways to call a foul there that aren't "a push".

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

It’s not enough you have to be stupid on the Mavs thread, you have to come here, too?

My comment was on the travel that the refs missed and then called a foul on Allen. You’re not keeping up with the thread.

To be fair, your Mavs posts aren’t exactly good, either.

I have never in my life seen a foul call reversed. I don’t watch as much basketball as some, but I watch every Texas game and most of March Madness every year. Does that happen often?
Never. That is the most basic shit in the rule book. You are allowed to box out and stand your ground. You absolutely can't come flying over someone's back to grab a rebound like that. What the fuck was the Texas player supposed to do? That's on the opponent if they leave their feet early and come flying over the top. We were tied at the time. That's a foul out on their best big guy. And 2 shots for us. And to top it off, he clearly hits our guys elbow at the other end right after and no foul at all.

I don't give a shit if you want to say "oh that's just aggy to blame the refs". The refs in the 2nd half had a huge impact. This was Purdue last year all over again. This was also 2002 WCF Kings Lakers and 2006 Wade.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

Most of miami's offense consisted of driving to the bucket, lowering the shoulder, and plowing into the texas defensive player.   Never was it ever called an offensive foul.  It should have been called against Miami every time, but it was called a foul on texas instead

• Hook 'Em 1

Carr getting tackled was the turning point.  That combined with Disu being out was just too much to overcome.  I think they should have tried Morris in that 2nd half strectch instead of letting Allen shoot on 4 or 5 straight possessions or whatever it was.

1 minute ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

and the guy who threw it over the head was really childish to do that. Showed a lack of seriousness and maturity.  I knew right then UT had lost their mental focus. 

What are you talking about? He was trying to save it and give his guys a chance at it.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, JimmyTwoTimes said:

What if I told you, the day after Beard got canned, that we’d make it to the Elite 8.? Great season, shitty way to end it, move on

If the thing never happened and beard was coaching Texas to this loss, I think most on here would be disappointed in the loss but feel like one win last tournament to 3 wins this tournament was obvious progress, and expecting another step forward next season even with senior departures. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

The blocking out call is tough and @Pancho could fill it in. The way I’ve seen that is the defender jumped before Brock ever started blocking out, he didn’t start blocking out till he jumped. It’s a weird call but they are very very serious about player safety and a guy in the air that gets his legs taken out is almost always an instant foul. But I could be wrong on if Brock had initiated contact before he jumped?

Yes. I was not too angry at that call

Just now, shadow_operative said:

Brock was boxing out and then the miami guy jumped on top of him. then the refs correctly called that a foul. then they remembered that that was going to be his fifth foul so they changed the call in a move that nobody here has ever seen before in ncaa tournament history. that's what happened. 

Yep

1 minute ago, kevwun said:

Carr getting tackled was the turning point.  That combined with Disu being out was just too much to overcome.  I think they should have tried Morris in that 2nd half strectch instead of letting Allen shoot on 4 or 5 straight possessions or whatever it was.

Oh man I wish we had tried Morris but Rodney was not going to bench a super senior in the E8 in crunch time 

We didn't play well in the second half and Miami made the eleventy billion free throws (who needs FGs when the zebras got your back).
We played pretty well until the last half of the half. We got the lead to 13 or so. I was scared the whole time that if we couldn't bury them by getting it up near 20, it could be trouble. Miami never went away. We got sloppy and not to mention the refs killed any pace of play.

3 minutes ago, uoftorange said:

You are only partly correct.  There is no "over the back" definition in basketball.  But there is absolutely about 50 ways to call a foul there that aren't "a push".

Right.  It isn't automatically a foul when a taller player is behind a shorter player and reaches over to steal the rebound.

But it god damned sure is a foul when the player in back goes over the shoulders and makes any sort of contact, and it's damned near impossible not to unless you're like 6 inches or more taller.

Anybody trying to argue that it was a foul on Brock for blocking out and not a foul on the guy who went airborn over his back, made contact with his shoulders, arms, and head, and then landed on him, is 100% fucking wrong.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

Most of miami's offense consisted of driving to the bucket, lowering the shoulder, and plowing into the texas defensive player.   Never was it ever called an offensive foul.  It should have been called against Miami every time, but it was called a foul on texas instead

The push off call they made with 2min to go, was done all game long. They traveled a ton too. None of it called from the beginning. Not sure how you are supposed to defend that.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Focht Up said:

I loved when they went to the break with the slow mo of the UM player bulldozing through CB for an easy uncontested layup. 

the dude has his arm on Brocks back the whole time and actually pushes Brock to go up.  It was a ridiculous call but you have to do that when you are corrupt and the fix is in.

27FT's and 28 fouls called in the 2nd half after 9 in the first is the story of the game.

• Pancho unpinned this topic