Texas vs Miami- Elite 8- 4:05pm on CBS

shadow_operative

1 minute ago, TexArcher said:

Right.  It isn't automatically a foul when a taller player is behind a shorter player and reaches over to steal the rebound.

But it god damned sure is a foul when the player in back goes over the shoulders and makes any sort of contact, and it's damned near impossible not to unless you're like 6 inches or more taller.

Anybody trying to argue that it was a foul on Brock for blocking out and not a foul on the guy who went airborn over his back, made contact with his shoulders, arms, and head, and then landed on him, is 100% fucking wrong.

You’re viewing it with emotion. Refs view it by the rule book. If contact is made after a player leaves his feet it’s a foul on him. 

12 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

It’s not enough you have to be stupid on the Mavs thread, you have to come here, too?

My comment was on the travel that the refs missed and then called a foul on Allen. You’re not keeping up with the thread.

I’m not the moron that said the Mavs needed to jettison Luka. 

Timmy induced the travel with a foul. I had little issue with THAT particular call. Raftery and Hill were making comments all game about not seeing much on calls for BOTH Miami and Texas. Then Hill and Raftery clearly said the Brock overturn was the right call, which of course was horseshit. I’ve kept up with the thread fine.  You just don’t pay attention to the broadcast, particularly when it doesn’t serve your message board posting purpose. 

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

As I’ve said before, the key is to have a coach who will get in the face of officials to point out discrepancies. Terry isn’t that type of coach. 

I feel like when the opponent gains the momentum,  it's  head coach's motherfucking job to call time out to halt the momentum and calm your team down.   Terry failed big time here.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The problem is 9 fouls called in one half and 28 in the other with the same two teams out there.  Even if you back off 2 or 3 we initiated at the end to send them to the line it's 25-9 in run of play.  The dynamics of a game can change such to where there can be some sort of foul disparity half to half sure....but those were the same two teams playing a lot of the same game and it almost tripled.  That stinks...and it's not novel to this one particular game.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

As I’ve said before, the key is to have a coach who will get in the face of officials to point out discrepancies. Terry isn’t that type of coach. 
I mean does it even matter? If there's an agenda in play, nothing is changing that. Sure, you might like to see him yell at the refs but they will just t him up and give Miami more free points.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

Hold or a push. That’s it unless it’s a hook and hold.  

Again, you're wrong, but it's honestly not worth the time to argue it.  There are other ways to foul than a hold or push, or a combo.  Impeding progress, is a foul on it's own.  Just because refs simplify it for calls, doesn't mean that there aren't many things that are fouls in the rule book.  

4 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Ok can you explain the call to all the resident non basketball fans. That’s the way I saw it. He started his blockout after he started jumping.

I’d need photos. I’m at a bar in Vegas.

the bottom line is you could see the collapse coming. I’m a bit angry that Terry isn’t more aggressive both in terms of management and in terms of pointing out officiating discrepancies. This is what we will live with. 

• Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

You’re viewing it with emotion. Refs view it by the rule book. If contact is made after a player leaves his feet it’s a foul on him. 

how is a player boxing out supposed to know when the guy is going to jump?  Brock has position on the guy and the guy is riding Brock's back the whole time.

They would never call contact if there isn't some type of a hard fall. It's like umpires who call curveballs strikes just because they curve nicely.

contact is made all the time on rebounds. there would be 100 calls a game.  Brock did not "undercut" him the guy pushed on Brock and went up over his back.

11 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Carr getting tackled was the turning point.  That combined with Disu being out was just too much to overcome.  I think they should have tried Morris in that 2nd half strectch instead of letting Allen shoot on 4 or 5 straight possessions or whatever it was.

Morris and bishop should have both gotten more minutes in the second half imo 

1 minute ago, MirrOlure said:

You two are making a solid run for No. 1 Dumbfuck around here. That’s quite an accomplishment

Lmao. Pancho is a ref and pretty much said yea it was a huge mind blowing call. Fans don’t know shit about basketball or rules as they still keep yelling over the back and over the back isn’t even a fucking call. Push in the back is. It was a questionable call which is why refs call stuff when players get their legs cut. It is what it is.

• Fuck You 2

11 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Ok can you explain the call to all the resident non basketball fans. That’s the way I saw it. He started his blockout after he started jumping.

Yes just ignore the pictures above. He has position, his arms are out per rebounding position, and you’re fucking wrong.

But let’s go with your theory. What is Brock supposed to do on that play for him to not get a foul called?

Edited by Ghost of Shag
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

The NCAA might end up screwing themselves allowing the Refs to be an influence this whole tourney.   If someone wants to see a Final Four on the cheap, this will be the year as each schools fan base is small.    I hope the TV ratings suck too.   Screw the NCAA. 

I'm  not watching one moment of the final four

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Never. That is the most basic shit in the rule book. You are allowed to box out and stand your ground. You absolutely can't come flying over someone's back to grab a rebound like that. What the fuck was the Texas player supposed to do? That's on the opponent if they leave their feet early and come flying over the top. We were tied at the time. That's a foul out on their best big guy. And 2 shots for us. And to top it off, he clearly hits our guys elbow at the other end right after and no foul at all.

I don't give a shit if you want to say "oh that's just aggy to blame the refs". The refs in the 2nd half had a huge impact. This was Purdue last year all over again. This was also 2002 WCF Kings Lakers and 2006 Wade.

Watch it again when you aren't pissed.

Unfortunately, Cunningham played it perfectly until 15 jumped straight up and Cunningham kept pushing back ended up pushing underneath him. 15 had a right to a space at that point.

It was the right call... And did not cost the game as much as the dead legs for Texas did.

The majority of what we're birthing about I'm the second half is an absolute sign of tired ball.

Hero ball and short shots l? Dead legs.

Terrible defense in the lane? Dead legs

Reaching and late attempts to draw a charge? Dead legs.

We need a time out and a sub. When we got down to +8. Timmy needed 2 game minutes to get some legs. We've seen him play like this before recently... But this time Disu wasn't there to cover.

Disu was out. Rice was hobbled. Carr got a thigh bruise. Timmy got worn down.

Dead legs.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

how is a player boxing out supposed to know when the guy is going to jump?  Brock has position on the guy and the guy is riding Brock's back the whole time.

They would never call contact if there isn't some type of a hard fall. It's like umpires who call curveballs strikes just because they curve nicely.

contact is made all the time on rebounds. there would be 100 calls a game.  Brock did not "undercut" him the guy pushed on Brock and went up over his back.

Standing in front of someone means nothing to refs. They saw it as a guy jumped then Brock made contact. I’ve literally seen that call 1,000 times coaching Texas high school basketball for 10 years. Refs call that all the time. 

• Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Those pictures show he has position not that his ass is already into Omier and making contact and blocking out. 

No, they don't.  They show a box out happening while the ball is on the rim and a player with two hands in the back of the guy boxing him out.  It's was 100% a box out and a shit overturn.  It's just silly to keep arguing it.  

And I reffed up to the high school level, it's been a while, but I still know my rules pretty well.  

3 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Lmao. Pancho is a ref and pretty much said yea it was a huge mind blowing call. Fans don’t know shit about basketball or rules as they still keep yelling over the back and over the back isn’t even a fucking call. Push in the back is. It was a questionable call which is why refs call stuff when players get their legs cut. It is what it is.

So your defense is that Pancho is a ref?

The fuck outta here with this shit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, uoftorange said:

No, they don't.  They show a box out happening while the ball is on the rim and a player with two hands in the back of the guy boxing him out.  It's was 100% a box out and a shit overturn.  It's just silly to keep arguing it.  

And I reffed up to the high school level, it's been a while, but I still know my rules pretty well.  

Then you absolutely know refs see different things all the time. It’s not hard.

1 minute ago, Ghost of Shag said:

So your defense is that Pancho is a ref?

The fuck outta here with this shit.

I’ve stated my stance you stated nothing becaise you don’t know the fucking rules. Refs see a guys legs get cut they almost ALWAYS call the foul on the guy blocking out. Do you even watch basketball? Happens all the time.

3 minutes ago, Slacks said:

Watch it again when you aren't pissed.

Unfortunately, Cunningham played it perfectly until 15 jumped straight up and Cunningham kept pushing back ended up pushing underneath him. 15 had a right to a space at that point.

It was the right call... And did not cost the game as much as the dead legs for Texas did.

The majority of what we're birthing about I'm the second half is an absolute sign of tired ball.

Hero ball and short shots l? Dead legs.

Terrible defense in the lane? Dead legs

Reaching and late attempts to draw a charge? Dead legs.

We need a time out and a sub. When we got down to +8. Timmy needed 2 game minutes to get some legs. We've seen him play like this before recently... But this time Disu wasn't there to cover.

Disu was out. Rice was hobbled. Carr got a thigh bruise. Timmy got worn down.

Dead legs.

Ah, I see.

Cunningham is supposed to be thinking “as soon as this guy jumps, I have to stop moving backward.” 

While his momentum is moving backward, his eyes are on the ball, and he’s supposed to be able to discern when the guy has gone vertical.

You guys are fucking something else.

9 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
15 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I mean does it even matter? If there's an agenda in play, nothing is changing that. Sure, you might like to see him yell at the refs but they will just t him up and give Miami more free points.

Just out of curiosity, what, exactly, is the agenda?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

So over the back should be a foul on the guy blocking out every single time then.  

Edited by chemHORN

4 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Those pictures show nothing except Brock standing in front of a guy. Blocking out is different than standing in front of a guy. JFC people don’t know the fucking rules of basketball.

Go ahead and ignore the video too. You know, the one above where Brock is boxing him out before he jumps. You’re the one who doesn’t know the fucking rules.

1 minute ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I’ve stated my stance you stated nothing becaise you don’t know the fucking rules. Refs see a guys legs get cut they almost ALWAYS call the foul on the guy blocking out. Do you even watch basketball? Happens all the time.

1. It was the wrong call. You’re wrong.

2. When’s the last time you saw a call get overturned?

3 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

The refs may have helped this loss but did not cause it. Texas getting sloppy with passes and missing key shots and being out of control in key situations is the reason we lost.

Yep. We got sloppy and tired. We should have been matching every 2 FTs they made with a bucket, since we were shooting over 50%. We didn’t execute much of an offense in the final stretch. 

Just now, Ghost of Shag said:

Go ahead and ignore the video too. You know, the one above where Brock is boxing him out before he jumps. You’re the one who doesn’t know the fucking rules.

I think Rockethorn knows the rules, I just think he's incorrectly applying them here based on "that happens all the time".  Happening all the time and being correct is completely different.  Brock had a clean box out, then the guy jumped over him, not straight up (that's laughable), and basically pulled the chair out from under brock.  But it was the offensive player that caused the contact and therefore should have gotten the foul

Just now, Ghost of Shag said:

Dude I coach Texas high school basketball for 10 years. I’ve overly stated why I thought the refs would call it. Pancho who’s a ref agreed. You’ve stated nothing except “yea look at the pic”. You’re out of your element with me in basketball, rules and execution of basketball. I asked pancho to clarify why a ref would call it. I felt I saw the same thing. Big deal. Fucking mob surly is always the best. Yell and blame the refs like classic surly not our terrible defense  or missed shots and hero ball. That was a huge contributor.

• Hook 'Em 2

• Pancho unpinned this topic