Texas vs Miami- Elite 8- 4:05pm on CBS

shadow_operative

Offense got very tentative.  Rice was gimpy (how many attempts did he even have in the second half). Marcus got hurt (don't feel like he shot or moved much after he came back in).  We tried to run it through Timmy and it didn't work.

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 2

43 minutes ago, staboner said:

i still can't get over what the rule is here that made this the right call? the announcers also agreed. its not brocks fault the other left his feet...its over the back or nothing on loose ball.

we certainly were not great down the stretch and kudos to them for making all their foul shots, but the refs controlled the entirety of the second half.  our defense was fucking good, and was winning the game, but then we got penalized for it and that killed our MO. on top of that the travels, over the backs, and no charges on them on that side of the court was BS. 

Brock kept backing up while the Miami player jumped up to get the ball. Brock does a lot of stupid shit like this to get called for fouls. I think it's the correct call, but I didn't expect them to overturn a foul call upon review. It was a meltdown but the refs definitely contributed to it.

Edited by UTEE97
  • Drool 1

6 minutes ago, Pancho said:

You haven’t read the rule book.

Ok. You’re a ref so I respect your opinion. But I’ve seen a ton of bad foul calls in my life. I’ve heard plenty of announcers say the refs got it wrong. I’ve never seen a foul call reversed. How does that happen in such a crucial moment?

4 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Dude I coach Texas high school basketball for 10 years. I’ve overly stated why I thought the refs would call it. Pancho who’s a ref agreed. You’ve stated nothing except “yea look at the pic”. You’re out of your element with me in basketball, rules and execution of basketball. I asked pancho to clarify why a ref would call it. I felt I saw the same thing. Big deal. Fucking mob surly is always the best. Yell and blame the refs like classic surly not our terrible defense  or missed shots and hero ball. That was a huge contributor.

Yep we were at fault but the want to blame the man.

there aren't big 12 refs but there are refs that do certain conferences more than others.

we hadn't been "fouling" like that all tournament.   It would be fine if they were calling the same shit(travels, pushes, charges, reaches) on Miami but they weren't.  Completely blind to anything Miami was doing, which of course made it hard for our already injury challenged O.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Just got back home from the game. Shitty way to go out, but it was a cool experience being there for both games. Yes, we got jobbed by calls, but we also turned the back over several times down the stretch, and went cold from the field. Love the team and look forward to the future. 

Can you read the whole thread so you can catch up on arguing and bitching with us?

• Haha 6

1 minute ago, Hammerin Hank said:

Ok. You’re a ref so I respect your opinion. But I’ve seen a ton of bad foul calls in my life. I’ve heard plenty of announcers say the refs got it wrong. I’ve never seen a foul call reversed. How does that happen in such a crucial moment?

Imo the reversal is the thing to take issue with. It’s way too 50/50 for the call to get reversed from what was called on floor. 
Again I think it was the wrong call, but I’m not surprised to see it called.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Focht Up said:

Most of miami's offense consisted of driving to the bucket, lowering the shoulder, and plowing into the texas defensive player.   Never was it ever called an offensive foul.  It should have been called against Miami every time, but it was called a foul on texas instead

This exact situation happened right after Carr’s injury...Miami dude drove straight into Brock’s chest and Brock got called for a foul...2 free throws for Miami 

• Hook 'Em 1

Lmao. Pancho is a ref and pretty much said yea it was a huge mind blowing call. Fans don’t know shit about basketball or rules as they still keep yelling over the back and over the back isn’t even a fucking call. Push in the back is. It was a questionable call which is why refs call stuff when players get their legs cut. It is what it is.

“Over the back” is a description of the foul that occurs when the player tries to jump over or through the player that has position, you stupid cockfuck.

What Brock did is exactly how John Fucking Wooden would teach rebounding position.

And oh, Pancho is a ref so he’s right? Maybe he’s a shitty ass ref
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

I would taken an Elite Eight appearance in a heartbeat before the season, and even more so after the events in December.

Doesn’t mean this still doesn’t suck ass though. This team was special and it’s hard to win in March. Ask the other 64 teams who had to sit and watch this game today.

Time to capitalize on this momentum and keep building. There should never be 15 years between sweet 16 appearances again.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Hammerin Hank said:

It happens, especially if two refs blow their whistle. One can come to the other ref and explain why their call should be the call. Usually in that situation, the ref also says something like “I’ll take the heat if I’m wrong.”

Can also be something like “yes I saw your [insert call here] but I had this call before that.”

2 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

“Over the back” is a description of the foul that occurs when the player tries to jump over or through the player that has position, you stupid cockfuck.

What Brock did is exactly how John Fucking Wooden would teach rebounding position.

No describes it on the court or from a coach as over the back. Stupid fans that don’t know shit or parents at the ymca rec league games yell “over the backkkkkkkk”. Then refs and coaches laugh at morons like you.

Edited by Rockethorn1978

Just now, Pancho said:

It happens, especially if two refs blow their whistle. One can come to the other ref and explain why their call should be the call. Usually in that situation, the ref also says something like “I’ll take the heat if I’m wrong.”

Refs don't take heat in the College and Pro Ranks.  Oh they may get graded and all that like everybody else does at their job (that doesn't make them special) but they are the only ones on the court who take no immediate post game heat.  There is too much money in college and professional sports for it to continue to be this opaque.  

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I would taken an Elite Eight appearance in a heartbeat before the season, and even more so after the events in December.

Doesn’t mean this still doesn’t suck ass though. This team was special and it’s hard to win in March. Ask the other 64 teams who had to sit and watch this game today.

Time to capitalize on this momentum and keep building. There should never be 15 years between sweet 16 appearances again.

This 

it just hurts more bc we were 10 min away from a final four. So close 

• Hook 'Em 3

55 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

One of the bigger problems in sports is refs don’t have to face questions.

Questions like, “Why did you reverse that over the back call when one guy has position is backing up for the rebound and has his eyes on the ball? How is he responsible for knowing a guy is going to come flying in from behind him?”

Who made that call so I can add his name next to Teddy Valentine?

4 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Refs don't take heat in the College and Pro Ranks.  Oh they may get graded and all that like everybody else does at their job (that doesn't make them special) but they are the only ones on the court who take no immediate post game heat.  There is too much money in college and professional sports for it to continue to be this opaque.  

Well they do but not in a way that fans would notice. 

7 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

Sorry bud but this ain’t correct

6 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Can also be something like “yes I saw your [insert call here] but I had this call before that.”

I didn’t know 2 refs made different calls. They didn’t say that on the tv broadcast 

No describes it on the court or from a coach as over the back. Stupid fans that don’t know shit or parents at the ymca rec league games yell “over the backkkkkkkk”. Then refs and coaches laugh at morons like you.

Goddammit you obtuse fuck….it’s a literal description of a foul. It’s like yelling “he walked!” Or “he’s hooking!” Or “he slapped his shooting arm!” JFC.

Know what else isn’t a real foul? Charging. And there’s no such thing as an “offensive foul” either. Doesn’t make it wrong to call them that.

Lol no it’s not.

Lol yes it is

23 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I’ve stated my stance you stated nothing becaise you don’t know the fucking rules. Refs see a guys legs get cut they almost ALWAYS call the foul on the guy blocking out. Do you even watch basketball? Happens all the time.

I watch a lot of basketball, including just about every Texas game for the last 20 years, and I have have NEVER seen that call before.

• Pancho unpinned this topic