Texas vs Miami- Elite 8- 4:05pm on CBS

shadow_operative

Just now, PittsburghTiger said:

I didn't get to see the whole game because I was watching the kid play soccer for St. Louis but, I said during the ACC Tournament that Miami was really good.

Losing the big kid inside was huge for Texas. A game-changer but, Miller had a perfect night for Miami, 7/7 from the floor and 13/13 FTs. As a team they shot 59.2%. That's hard to beat.

It sure didn't help that almost half of the shots Texas took were 3s, and they only made 10/25, and you all still shot 50% from the floor. Nobody is going to get fouls called when they shoot so many 3s. Miami only shot 8 for the entire game. Miami's starting five were outstanding, all scored in double figures.

Now comes the hard work for your AD because this is an incredibly important coaching decision that he has to make.

To be fair Texas wasn't getting the foul calls when they were driving either.  If they call the first half like they did the last 10 minutes Texas is up 20+ at the half.  Our guards were fouled on a lot of their drives in the first half with no calls.  

• Hook 'Em 4

37 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

"Team A didn't play perfect, so it can't complain about the late calls that went in Team B's favor and directly contributed to Team B winning, even though Team B didn't play perfect, either."

This sort of rationale never fails to amaze me.

And the amount of arguing you're doing over the Brock call, when it's pretty clear that Omier used his hands and arms to gain position and elevation on Brock and was jumping over Brock the moment Omier left his feet ... I dunno, it's strange. You're just as guilty of seeing only what you want to see in order to justify your position.

Setting aside the pivotal Brock call, it was a terribly and inconsistently officiated game. Should Texas have played better? Absolutely. But it was a tale of two halves in terms of fouls and whistles.

Perhaps with more balanced and consistent whistles, Texas players don't have dead legs and don't lose their shooting mojo. Or maybe that was more the result of Carr and Rice being hurt. Who knows?

Games are full of myriad variables, which is why it's idiotic to dismiss poor officiating as a contributing factor like a determined few are wont to do.

And stop asking why you are here. You are here arguing and bickering with the crybabies because you want to be. You're just as bad as them. Man the fuck up.

Agree. And I'm wondering why. 

7 minutes ago, chemHORN said:

Bishop didn't run out of gas cause he just stood around on the boards and watched other people do the dirty work.  With Disu we win this game I think.  Bishop just didn't look like he wanted to be in that game.  

First half he looked better. Second half he completely disappeared. 

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

While y'all argue ad nauseum about the Brock call, how about when they just came up and just pushed our guy down in broad daylight in front of god and everyone and the refs did nothing?

Exactly.  It wasn’t one fucking call.  It was the entire second half of Miami getting the whistle for phantom or brush fouls and us getting no calls when being aggressively smacked around.  It changes the entire game/energy when the refs decide to thumb the scales like that, and definitely effects what the targeted team can do.  Just call it consistent and no one can bitch about missed calls. When all the missed calls go in in one direction that is when you know the fix is in.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

Exactly.  It wasn’t one fucking call.  It was the entire second half of Miami getting the whistle for phantom or brush fouls and us getting no calls when being aggressively smacked around.  It changes the entire game/energy when the refs decide to thumb the scales like that, and definitely effects what the targeted team can do.  Just call it consistent and no one can bitch about missed calls. When all the missed calls go in in one direction that is when you know the fix is in.

Yep, even if they decided they called it too loose in the first half, you're telling me we just started fouling the shit out of them constantly in the second half and they didn't?  Come the fuck on.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Yep, even if they decided they called it too loose in the first half, you're telling me we just started fouling the shit out of them constantly in the second half and they didn't?  Come the fuck on.

And you have to have a coach point this out to refs abs be direct about it. I thought beard was great at that. Terry is too nice/casual to do this.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

16 minutes ago, Pancho said:

And you have to have a coach point this out to refs abs be direct about it. I thought beard was great at that. Terry is too nice/casual to do this.

Purdue shot 46 free throws against us in last year's tournament. Did Beard not point that out during the game?

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Purdue shot 46 free throws against us in last year's tournament. Did Beard not point that out during the game?

I remember him yelling at them during that game. Crazily enough, one of the refs from that Purdue game was in our game last night. 

• Rage+1 1

Snacks and Pancho being like "REFS ARE PART OF THE GAME LOLOL" is hilarious.

This is trash and was a really good slugfest of a game that was highly entertaining, then the refs ruined it by slowing it down to a crawl and a team actually won not making a single field goal for the last 4:50 seconds.

I don't give a shit how much basketball you watch. That shouldn't decide a game full stop. Stop fucking acting like that is even remotely the sport of basketball. 

• Hook 'Em 8

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

Snacks and Pancho being like "REFS ARE PART OF THE GAME LOLOL" is hilarious.

This is trash and was a really good slugfest of a game that was highly entertaining, then the refs ruined it by slowing it down to a crawl and a team actually won not making a single field goal for the last 4:50 seconds.

I don't give a shit how much basketball you watch. That shouldn't decide a game full stop. Stop fucking acting like that is even remotely the sport of basketball. 

Don’t bring me into this. I never said that. 

I wasn’t happy with several if not most of the calls in the 2nd half. Now where you can quote me and what I have been saying this entire time is it was shitty of Terry to not get on to the refs to point out the discrepancies in calls. That is something I’ve explicitly stated on this website. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

Don’t bring me into this. I never said that. 

I wasn’t happy with several if not most of the calls in the 2nd half. Now where you can quote me and what I have been saying this entire time is it was shitty of Terry to not get on to the refs to point out the discrepancies in calls. That is something I’ve explicitly stated on this website. 

Sorry - Slacks leaning in hard and you providing adjacent cover in my brain. 

there was way too much anticipating calls against Texas(see Bishop phantom call) and a lot of just let 'em play with Miami(5 or 6 uncalled travels, and the Big getting to run over our guys so he doesn't foul out).

The fix was in from halftime.  they just had to amp it up the last 8 minutes because it wasn't working.

makes sense that one of the refs from the Purdue game was in this game but it makes a lot of sense.

• Rage+1 1

Looking at it from that angle, I lean towards it being a foul on Brock. That he was too far underneath the basket and forced his way backwards with too many steps and while the other dude attempted the rebound.

I can see various viewpoints, and it was hard not being apoplectic after seeing the call reversed, the foul discrepancy, and seeing multiple phantom calls on Texas and nocalls on Miami.

5 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Looking at it from that angle, I lean towards it being a foul on Brock. That he was too far underneath the basket and forced his way backwards with too many steps and while the other dude attempted the rebound.

I can see various viewpoints, and it was hard not being apoplectic after seeing the call reversed, the foul discrepancy, and seeing multiple phantom calls on Texas and nocalls on Miami.

If you look at it from the live game angle you can see that there’s a point during that sequence where Brock is no longer making contact with the Miami guy, who has backed up further than Brock. By the time Brock (still backing up) reengages him, the Miami players feet have already left the ground…

Blake Gideon

Brock Cunningham

Craig Curry

++++++

One of these things is not like the others,
One of these things just doesn't belong,
Can you tell me which thing is not like the others?
By the time I finish my song?

++++++

refs slowed game down - check

brock did or didn't foul - check

winner scored zero baskets last 5 minutes - check

mods with total job and life security buying each other drinks - check

possibly hot brunette that we need to see without sunglasses - check

++++++

time to lock this thread

Hope so because Miami's guards like to take some wild/bad shots. 
If you're Texas you can't get discouraged if a couple bad shots fall. The main thing is Texas needs to punish Miami in transition when those wild shots aren't falling. 

They kept falling

I think the most frustrating thing about the foul calls is that Omeir is one of the most physical players in the country. The dude is creating contact with his body every single possession. 

I don't know the rules but just don't call anything on the Cunningham box out. They let a lot of shit go with Omeir, in general, so just play on. I guarantee there was a lot more egregious contact from Omeir on the interior that went uncalled. 

Was hammered from golf with the bros and didn’t really digest the game while watching the second half real time on Sunday.  Watched the replay tonight …  we fucked it up on the offensive end so bad starting at about 12 minutes left in the game.  I saw a couple bad fouls but Jesus our offense was a joke.  We seemed to want to lose the fucking game.  So much for senior leadership I guess.  

5 minutes ago, Knighthawk said:

Was hammered from golf with the bros and didn’t really digest the game while watching the second half real time on Sunday.  Watched the replay tonight …  we fucked it up on the offensive end so bad starting at about 12 minutes left in the game.  I saw a couple bad fouls but Jesus our offense was a joke.  We seemed to want to lose the fucking game.  So much for senior leadership I guess.  

For sure.  We didn't help ourselves, but I think the fact we weren't getting any calls in the final 5 was a factor in our shot selection.  Also Miami scored 0 FG's in the final 445 so the weren't on fire either.  They got the calls, we didn't.  

Edited by chemHORN

I think it's pretty obvious why the offense went to shit. 

Carr was fouled hard at the 11:07 mark in the 2nd half and wasn't healthy. Is it surprising our offense sucked from there on? The end of games the ball is always in Carr's hands. 

Honestly, just some shit luck. The basketball gods have to start giving us something in return after Disu and then Carr. 

Then with 430 left Omeir sets an illegal screen when he hip checks, followed by a uncalled travel that instead became a foul on Texas and 2 FTs

Pretty sure I know the one. From what I saw the last 5 minutes, that dude was allowed to play harder than anyone else. It matters.
  • Rage+1 1

12 hours ago, chemHORN said:

Bishop didn't run out of gas cause he just stood around on the boards and watched other people do the dirty work.  With Disu we win this game I think.  Bishop just didn't look like he wanted to be in that game.  

This was a weird game for any big (like Disu or Bishop) because you have to chase all these guards around when you switch. It's really tough. 

That's why they needed to play Cunningham more at the 5. 

Cunningham vs bishop?  Thats not the difference of winning versus losing.  Our scorers Carr, Allen, hunter shit the bed in the last 10 minutes.  Hero ball and little movement on offense is what killed us.  Too many possessions with guys on their heels waiting for someone else to make a play.  Rice played strong the whole game but had little help.  

15 minutes ago, Knighthawk said:

Cunningham vs bishop?  Thats not the difference of winning versus losing.  Our scorers Carr, Allen, hunter shit the bed in the last 10 minutes.  Hero ball and little movement on offense is what killed us.  Too many possessions with guys on their heels waiting for someone else to make a play.  Rice played strong the whole game but had little help.  

The offense was much better with Cunningham in this game. Miami had no clue how to defend Cunningham at the 5. 

I need to go back and look at the game log but I believe Cunningham picked up his 3rd foul at the 10:45 mark in the 2nd half. Texas had a 12 point lead. When he went to the bench is when Miami started to go on a run. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

8 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The offense was much better with Cunningham in this game. Miami had no clue how to defend Cunningham at the 5. 

I need to go back and look at the game log but I believe Cunningham picked up his 3rd foul at the 10:45 mark in the 2nd half. Texas had a 12 point lead. When he went to the bench is when Miami started to go on a run. 

Watching live under ten when they went on a run we were screaming to sub in Brock for Bishop. He waited too ling to make the change (last 4 mins i think)

It drives me crazy when the disparity happens.  The easiest way for me to express it was at a certain point,  it appeared to me that every single trip down the court for Miami would result in a foul on us, and even though we drove the ball to the hoop, it didn't matter.  We were not going to get a call.

All we needed was one or two calls! 

Is there a playbook for that situation?  RT was obviously on the bench for last year's parade to the free throw line vs. Purdue.  I'm guessing CB did not get a T last year? 

Does there come a point where the coach decides to get his protest so much to at the very least earn a T?  I've watched enough bball to know that sometimes getting a T helps, mostly because it stops the momentum for the team that is getting all of the calls. 

Was last year's game like this year's?  One sided only in the 2nd half or both halves? 

It drives me crazy when the disparity happens.  The easiest way for me to express it was at a certain point,  it appeared to me that every single trip down the court for Miami would result in a foul on us, and even though we drove the ball to the hoop, it didn't matter.  We were not going to get a call.
All we needed was one or two calls! 
 Is there a playbook for that situation?  RT was obviously on the bench for last year's parade to the free throw line vs. Purdue.  I'm guessing CB did not get a T last year? 
Does there come a point where the coach decides to get his protest so much to at the very least earn a T?  I've watched enough bball to know that sometimes getting a T helps, mostly because it stops the momentum for the team that is getting all of the calls. 
Was last year's game like this year's?  One sided only in the 2nd half or both halves? 

You can't do much about it. I witnessed this as a Mavs fan in 2006 over a whole series, especially the last 3 games. Coaches and players can bitch all they want but once the train is rolling in that direction, there's no stopping. You'll have people ask what is their agenda or why would they do this to try and insinuate it's crazy to think there was one at all. I don't know what it was or why but there was absolutely an agenda to call the game differently on each side. Spare me they were a more aggressive team. Of course they were, every single trip to the basket was awarded with a foul. Many of them bullshit, especially ones where the ref anticipated the foul. Saw 2 of those in the 1st half.

Basketball refs have to be some of the most corrupt entities in sports. They have such an influence over the whole game unlike any other in any other sports. It's been documented how this happens and why in the NBA. The tournament is a huge money maker. It usually comes down to the money in play. Texas was the favorite but a lot of money came in towards the end on Miami. And then we see what happens. Coincidence?
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Knighthawk said:

everything changed when Allen went all Charles Barkley, back it down back it down try to draw a foul. It slowed the game down, brought the refs into it and everyone started standing around.

8 hours ago, JGrayDBU said:

Does there come a point where the coach decides to get his protest so much to at the very least earn a T?

Don't recall the specifics at all, but I remember a Lady Longhorn game back in the day when Texas was getting jobbed by the refs.  Jody Conradt went ballistic and stormed onto the court yelling what I assume was a string of obscenities.  She got a technical for her efforts.

And then the lopsided officiating just stopped.  Just like that.  Best example of a well used technical I've ever seen.

• Hook 'Em 3