6 yr old bitten by unknown dog

gsoda3

On 3/27/2023 at 7:22 PM, Updawg said:

Well if it was only that amount of shots it doesn’t sound too bad

I always heard it was way worse but that was probably an urban rumor growing up as a 70’s kid. I remember it supposedly being like 30 shots or something

It’s a series of 4 now with 1 shot at the start of human immunoglobulin (the expensive one). Ask me how I know. They actually aren’t painful - physically anyway. 

4F98E047-BAE6-4943-8627-984F4BFBBF8A.jpeg

Also that charge was just the immunoglobulin shot. 

• Rage+1 2

costco called us tonight to tell us they found the guy and the dog but they wouldn't give us his info.  they contacted the guy and told him what happened.  the guy actually called my wife an hour later and was pleasant (though said some weird things "my dog bit his thigh?  i thought he got his hand") until she asked for his insurance information to file a claim when he started blaming our kid for causing havoc, provoking the dog, and treating the costco like a playground.  my wife let him go on for a little bit and then said that's not what happened and costco has the footage. 

i'm annoyed costco gave the guy our information but wouldn't give his information to us.  we don't know who he is (he didn't give his name, and a quick google reverse phone lookup shows the phone's location in torrance, ca.  there was a name on the caller id but we internet sleuthed around and if that really is his name he doesn't have much of an internet presence.)

trying to think of options we have before we sue.

• Rage+1 1

8 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

costco called us tonight to tell us they found the guy and the dog but they wouldn't give us his info.  they contacted the guy and told him what happened.  the guy actually called my wife an hour later and was pleasant (though said some weird things "my dog bit his thigh?  i thought he got his hand") until she asked for his insurance information to file a claim when he started blaming our kid for causing havoc, provoking the dog, and treating the costco like a playground.  my wife let him go on for a little bit and then said that's not what happened and costco has the footage. 

i'm annoyed costco gave the guy our information but wouldn't give his information to us.  we don't know who he is (he didn't give his name, and a quick google reverse phone lookup shows the phone's location in torrance, ca.  there was a name on the caller id but we internet sleuthed around and if that really is his name he doesn't have much of an internet presence.)

Get your local shit-disturbing news channel involved. 

The fact that Costco gave him your info but wouldn't give you his is fucked up, and constitutes the exact sort of mishandling that will get the public outraged to the point Costco's legal team will panic and get things in motion for you. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

Did y'all give Costco permission to provide your contact information to the guy? I could see that being one question coming up while you were looking for him, so maybe check with your wife and see if she said it would be ok. 

I'll also say this, if you were to press a suit against Costco, they would have to provide the guys information in discovery and would probably move to include him in the lawsuit. You're two possible sources of recovery are from Costco and most likely the guy's homeowners insurance (if he has it). I wouldn't hold out much hope of collecting from the guy directly. I do think that based on your description of events and that Costco had a no dogs policy, that it is possible you a viable claim against Costco. Any idea what the total medical bill, including what your insurance pays, is going to be?

@Prepuce of Doom also had a good idea on going through the media if Costco really just gave your information away without permission. That's crazy. 

30 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Did y'all give Costco permission to provide your contact information to the guy? I could see that being one question coming up while you were looking for him, so maybe check with your wife and see if she said it would be ok. 

I'll also say this, if you were to press a suit against Costco, they would have to provide the guys information in discovery and would probably move to include him in the lawsuit. You're two possible sources of recovery are from Costco and most likely the guy's homeowners insurance (if he has it). I wouldn't hold out much hope of collecting from the guy directly. I do think that based on your description of events and that Costco had a no dogs policy, that it is possible you a viable claim against Costco. Any idea what the total medical bill, including what your insurance pays, is going to be?

@Prepuce of Doom also had a good idea on going through the media if Costco really just gave your information away without permission. That's crazy. 

no, we never said they could give him our information.  we had asked for his information if they identified the customer and they said no, so then we asked if costco would call and see if the dog was up to date on its vaccines. the last we heard from costco was that they couldn't identify him so we were waiting for costco to get back to us with a claims form we submitted to them.  

costco said the dog is a support dog.  i don't know if the video shows the dog wearing a vest or if they spoke to the owner and the owner told them that.  trying to clear that up and most importantly trying to get the video from costco.  

25 minutes ago, Bevo said:

His wife could have done a little better job getting the guy's personal information and finding out about the dog before telling the guy that they were going to sue.

she didn't tell him we're going to sue.  she said "we need to figure out how this claim's going to be settled" and asked for his information and then he flew off the handle.  probably could have been a little more strategic but she was surprised with the call in the middle of the kids' nighttime routine.