Official Coach Terry thread of dominance: Do it for the fam

shadow_operative

• shadow_operative changed the title to Breaking: Texas to offer Rodney Terry full time job as HC of the Longhorns

Chip Brown, but good to hear some media reporting on the apparent imminence of this. 

2 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

And he'll accept the offer unless the contract is insultingly low pay/ short-term

It won’t be. 

3 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

He’s earned it so I’m happy.  Do I think we can do better.  Yes

Fact that that tweet came out means he did accept

No and no. 

14 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

He’s earned it so I’m happy.  Do I think we can do better.  Yes

Fact that that tweet came out means he did accept

Yeah. CDC wouldn’t offer if RT was going to say no 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Yeah. CDC wouldn’t offer if RT was going to say no 

I suspect this was done last weekend which again, makes bowels tweets curious.  Can’t help but root for  a guy like RT   I think he’ll do well

chip is a dip and wrong often but he wouldn’t run with it if so. 

5 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

So, best case scenario for the roster next year is something like:

PG: Hunter, Johnson, Brumbaugh? (his redshirt felt weird)

SG: Morris, [transfer guard]

SF: Holland, Cunningham, [transfer wing]

PF: Mitchell, Anamekwe, [stretch 4 transfer or high school recruit]

Center: Disu, [transfer big]

We could use a playmaking guard and some more size, especially inside.  I see us being more of a Barnes type team with Terry than a Beard type team, which means we probably need to get bigger and stronger in the front court instead of going for the “position less” switch everything roster full of 6’6” forwards.

Here’s hoping Mitchell and Morris stay 

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

Good deal. Lock down Disu returning (wishful thinking?), keeping Mitchell and Morris and the staff, and hit the Portal!

Do you think Disu is a real threat to bolt for the NBA?

Looks to me like he needs to gain weight and get stronger. Another year of Big 12 play will do him some good. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Do you think Disu is a real threat to bolt for the NBA?
Looks to me like he needs to gain weight and get stronger. Another year of Big 12 play will do him some good. 

I had just assumed that he was done when he was part of Senior Day…but I’ve been told here that may not be the case.

After getting hoodwinked by that charlatan known as Shaka Smart, and then seen with Beard that even a proven Texas ex can unexpectedly crash and burn, I'm feeling Terry is a fairly solid choice. Had we not played well at season's end, I might have stepped aboard the Dusty May train...but I doubt he'd have been CDC's guy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I'll admit, I was VERY concerned about even having a top 25 team once the Beard news broke.  But the team rallied around him.  They were in the trenches with him every day and it was obvious they would've done anything for him.  I'm still curious how he'll juggle the portal, but the dude earned the job.  This past month was the most fun I've had watching any Longhorn team of any sport since 2010 football.

• Hook 'Em 7

21 minutes ago, Burt said:

I'll admit, I was VERY concerned about even having a top 25 team once the Beard news broke.  But the team rallied around him.  They were in the trenches with him every day and it was obvious they would've done anything for him.  I'm still curious how he'll juggle the portal, but the dude earned the job.  This past month was the most fun I've had watching any Longhorn team of any sport since 2010 football.

I know I'm a proselytizer, but more folks should pay attention to women's volleyball, IMO. Last year was so much fun. This year won't be the same kind of juggernaut, but they'll be a top 5 team. Gregory Gym is crazy for home matches. People like different sports for different reasons, but for me volleyball is a fun sport to watch. And it helps that we win a lot. 

But yeah, this team was a lot of fun to follow. Every Texas team that made it to the Elite Eight (5) has created a ton of special memories for me. I wish we'd just do it more often. From 2002 to 2008 I thought that's what Texas basketball was going to be for the rest of my life. The last 15 years have been extraordinarily disappointing for the most part until this season. 

• Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, ATXbronco said:

I'm glad but I hope it's not for more than three years.

Gotta see what what he can do when he's building the team on his own, without Beard's guidance.

If it’s not for more than three years, we might as well not hire him. That’s cutting him off at the knees before he even starts. And why would he sign that with other major schools looking at him?

But I don’t believe we’d do that.

Just now, closetohumping said:

Wait a minute.  What happened to your apology?  How you were going through some shit but that you support Terry and thought he wo ln the job?  That changed after one loss?

Yesterday’s loss showed me enough. With how we were shooting in 1H, Beard wins that game by 20. RT might have lost by 20 had we not made 7 threes in the 1H. 

Ugly loss exacerbated by refs, injuries, and poor coaching.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 25

3 minutes ago, Loop 1604 said:

Yesterday’s loss showed me enough. With how we were shooting in 1H, Beard wins that game by 20. RT might have lost by 20 had we not made 7 threes in the 1H. 

Ugly loss exacerbated by refs, injuries, and poor coaching.

Are you going to get a Chris Beard 2023 National Championship T Shirt?

• Haha 4

45 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Wait a minute.  What happened to your apology?  How you were going through some shit but that you support Terry and thought he wo ln the job?  That changed after one loss?

Intelligent people constantly change their subjective unproven opinion based on the latest data point. It's just good thinkin', my dude.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Intelligent people aren’t. Today was the peak of the Rodney Terry era. 

Aren’t you the guy that was convinced we weren’t getting out of the first weekend alive? Your post intimates that you’re including yourself in the “intelligent people” bucket, but there is very recent evidence that you shouldn’t.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 6

If it’s not for more than three years, we might as well not hire him. That’s cutting him off at the knees before he even starts. And why would he sign that with other major schools looking at him?
But I don’t believe we’d do that.

This is correct. If CDC offers RT a 3 year deal, it should make everyone question if CDC is the right guy to be our AD. All evidence to this point says that he is, so I expect a 5 year deal at the market rate.
  • Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Intelligent people constantly change their subjective unproven opinion based on the latest data point. It's just good thinkin', my dude.

Totally agree.  I went from anybody but Rodney to he deserves the job in about 4 months.  

it’s just when we were on a roll 1604 came back and apologized for basically being a jerk to the board and RT.  One game changes things I guess?

• Hook 'Em 2

I mean history is littered with examples of why you don't hire someone just because it feels good, or because it feels like you should. Just look at Hubert Davis recently.

History is also filled with examples that prove hiring D1 coaches is hard in general. There are very few sure things, which is why coaches that fall into that bucket set the top of the market. There is no evidence that RT is being offered the job in lieu of a sure thing, while there is evidence that other credible D1 schools would be interested in hiring him if we didn’t.

CDC used his option value period and made a reasonable call with the information he has. He had no reason to make a decision before the season ended and he collected a lot of additional data during the process. He got the most data on RT, while also getting data via the tournament on a bunch of alternative options. Time will tell how this plays out, but the data supports the decision.
  • Hook 'Em 7

• Pancho changed the title to Official Coach Terry thread of dominance: Do it for the fam