Official Coach Terry thread of dominance: Do it for the fam

shadow_operative

Huge mistake that will set texas basketball back for years to come. Blast me all you want but you will see...unfortunately.

That being said, I do understand why it he was hired  Your hands were tied the national narrative would have been pretty ugly had you gone another route

• Fuck You 2

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

Former players helping with recruiting is a.) not a thing and b.) not their job. 

Not directly. But they can help build the brand just like KD with a tweet in support of Terry last week. TJ Ford showing up at games, etc.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

Chris Beard killed it in the transfer portal.  It’s why we were all watching a Texas team on the verge of The Final Four Sunday.  But those transfer contracts (for lack of a better word) all expired yesterday so Terry’s 23-24’ team will be lacking massive transfer contributor’s Timmy Allen, Christian Bishop, Marcus Carr, and Sir’Jabari Rice, and likely Dylan Disu.  That’s basically the vast majority of the core of this Elite 8 team with exception of transfer Tyrese Hunter who was only a sophomore.  Time to find out if Terry can duplicate Beard’s build.  He definitely has things working in his favor (UT’s advantages in an NIL world, coming off Elite 8 run, new stadium, etc), it’s just we don’t have the evidence yet.  It’s a high standard he will be trying to match.  Time to find out if he can do it

An interesting part about Beard is he's never been anywhere for a super long time and I've always wondered if his style/plan was sustainable year after year for 5/10/15+ years. He went to the national championship game his 3rd year at Tech and then followed it up with a year where they were in danger of missing the tournament when it was cancelled due to covid and then lost in the round of 32 the next year before coming to Texas. He ran off some high profile players in the process. Not saying he isn't a good coach or wouldn't win or anything like that, but his style is demanding and seems to wear on people a bit as time goes on. He is really good at the initial surge of getting the HS and transfers necessary for early success.

Terry's ability to keep some level of defensive intensity while opening up the offense a bit more will hopefully allow Texas to continue to be an attractive destination for portal kids year after year. He will obviously need to put his own style on things.

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Former players helping with recruiting is a.) not a thing and b.) not their job. 

T.J. Ford coaches AAU basketball and coached players like.....Jabari Rice.

A 2023 5-star named AJ Johnson who signed with Texas happens to train at......T.J. Ford Academy.

Current NBA players who played for Texas have written checks to help this program in a variety of ways, so to say it is not a thing is just flat wrong.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

T.J. Ford coaches AAU basketball and coached players like.....Jabari Rice.

A 2023 5-star named AJ Johnson who signed with Texas happens to train at......T.J. Ford Academy.

Current NBA players who played for Texas have written checks to help this program in a variety of ways, so to say it is not a thing is just flat wrong.

Okay.

4 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

It's not their job but it is definitely a thing.

I’m aware of that. I call that support which I don’t see that stopping. The way it was framed was former players would need to be out on the recruiting trail which they don’t really do.

6 hours ago, Loop 1604 said:

Intelligent people aren’t. Today was the peak of the Rodney Terry era. 

The Longhorn Basketball Family is excited to have Coach Terry. T No one cares what you think. Thanks for your note because you have been wrong on every post you have made here. 

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

Not directly. But they can help build the brand just like KD with a tweet in support of Terry last week. TJ Ford showing up at games, etc.

29 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

T.J. Ford coaches AAU basketball and coached players like.....Jabari Rice.   A 2023 5-star named AJ Johnson who signed with Texas happens to train at......T.J. Ford Academy.

Yeah former players should help RT get better players to Texas.  

40 minutes ago, austintiger said:

Huge mistake that will set texas basketball back for years to come. Blast me all you want but you will see...unfortunately.

That being said, I do understand why it he was hired  Your hands were tied the national narrative would have been pretty ugly had you gone another route

Strong 10th post. In 2 or 3 years it will either be totally forgotten and you will never acknowledge it, or you'll be right and quote it ad nauseum to show how smart you were today. Win, win for you.

11 hours ago, Helobious said:

Said it before, at the end of the day there were only 4 coaches in the country that did better than he did this year. Fuck it why not. 

This is such a dumb/incomplete comparison.

Coaching in-season is only part of the job.  And it's the overwhelming part of why Terry got the job.

I'm worried about how he'll do at the rest of the job.  It's a legitimate concern and only time will tell.

It was inevitable that he got the job, but if I had to lay money, I would bet that we are looking for our next HC in 4 years or less.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong.  I want Terry to succeed, both because I am a Longhorn and because he seems like a great guy.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

This is such a dumb/incomplete comparison.

Coaching in-season is only part of the job.  And it's the overwhelming part of why Terry got the job.

I'm worried about how he'll do at the rest of the job.  It's a legitimate concern and only time will tell.

It was inevitable that he got the job, but if I had to lay money, I would bet that we are looking for our next HC in 4 years or less.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong.  I want Terry to succeed, both because I am a Longhorn and because he seems like a great guy.

Weird take.  If we took a poll in December, I think "coaching in-season" would have been the biggest question mark on Terry's resume.  Recruiting, representing the university well, connecting with alumni, etc. were all known strengths of his.  I get the concerns with a Terry hire, genuinely I do, but I think the "rest of the job" is the part we won't have to worry about.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I've yet to see this answered.

Our options are:

• A guy who won his conference tournament and was the last under-4 seed remaining in the tournament
  • A guy who took his shirt off and then lost by 23 the next round and has never taken his team past the Elite 8
  • A guy who had multiple players from his team involved in a murder and then couldn't make it past the Sweet 16 as a 1 seed
  • A guy who signs more 5 stars than anyone yet hasn't made it past the first weekend in half a decade
  • A guy who we'd be asking to leave the NBA to return to college, despite no evidence he wants to do this
  • A guy who retired like a year ago and has a blossoming TV career

Who am I missing that is a better option?

I agree... With the Oats debacle at Bama and the teams making big runs being mid-majors, who is the big name CDC could poach to make it worthwhile not to give him a chance?

It is not like if by 2025 Terry has been less than stellar we can't go and look to upgrade. The Beard debacle made it very hard to not pick someone that is squeaky clean, and unless Billy Donovan was willing to move, there isn't any real options at this point to make it vaiable to move off of Terry who just made it to the E8.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Burt said:

I'll admit, I was VERY concerned about even having a top 25 team once the Beard news broke.  But the team rallied around him.  They were in the trenches with him every day and it was obvious they would've done anything for him.  I'm still curious how he'll juggle the portal, but the dude earned the job.  This past month was the most fun I've had watching any Longhorn team of any sport since 2010 football.

Yesterday as I discussed the collapse (choke, refs, going cold, whatever) with my nephew, I said I rather have this terrible feeling in my gut and kick to the balls then what basketball has been since Barnes went cold and especially under POS Shaka Smart where I did not even care. I also said being able to discuss being on the brink of a final four and blowing it is a nice consolation prize when compared to knowing aggy can only dream about having the chance at such a conversation.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

You're obviously not a hockey guy.

But having googled it, you agree with me on the parallels, right?

Sort of.  Career head coaching record below .500.  Three playoff appearances since 1988.

Arguable difference is that Terry coached at programs without the resources of a school like Texas, so maybe past results aren't completely indicative of future performance.  That's a tougher argument to make in the professional ranks.

35 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

How has 1604 not been crowdsourced at this point?

Because most of us have that idiot on ignore and don’t see his posts unless people quote him…. Which is another point for this that do this….  Quit quoting him.  So the rest of us don’t have to see that stupid shit. 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Going back to a post I made earlier, what are the expectations for Texas basketball for y’all? Make the tournament every year and make the second weekend at least every few years? Compete for conference titles?

Yes.  For a school like Texas, even one that's not a "basketball school," that's not unreasonable.

1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

You don’t expect much next year? Fuck that. I do. So kansas st can hire an assistant coach with Jo coaching experience who got some portals and coached them up to the EE and Florida Atlantic can take some 2/3 stars that are sophomores and a junior but we at Texas need to be patient with our new coach? Lmao. Basketball is the easiest of all the sports to get quick turnarounds using the portal wisely. And RT has two 5 stars coming in that are both highly rated that almost no new coach has, but hey let’s keep the expectations low for him. Baby steps. This is why we have sucked since Barnes left. I hope CDC has some expectations for a job we say is one of the best in the country. 

Agreed that the portal can make a difference, but after this year's crop of 5-stars, imo, didn't really move the needle on this year's team much, I'm not expecting next years' batch to be much more. Morris and Mitchell were definitely players, but they weren't difference-makers really at any point of the season. Maybe these new guys are way more polished and will be ready to contribute heavy minutes in Big 12 play in December/January..... but I'm not expecting it. I'm just hoping. 

Maybe my expectations for the portal are too low as well, but it doesn't seem likely to bring in guys every year like Disu, Rice and Hunter. Guys who won conference superlatives and weren't just brought in to contribute, but to contribute tons of minutes. If our NIL is really that strong that we can bring in some all-conference type guys, guys who led a conference in rebounding, etc, every single year, then maybe we will literally never have a reloading year. But I'll have to see it first. 

It's really the only move they could have made. Optics would have been so bad, especially in the coaching community, to not give him the job after the tournament runs. If he doesn't pan out in 2-3 years then so be it, we can just start over and find the long-term solution. The candidate pool is kinda weak right now overall as we're in a transition phase of college basketball. A lot of the old legends are leaving the game and new up-and-comers are still trying to prove themselves with results. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I've yet to see this answered.

Our options are:

• A guy who won his conference tournament and was the last under-4 seed remaining in the tournament
  • A guy who took his shirt off and then lost by 23 the next round and has never taken his team past the Elite 8
  • A guy who had multiple players from his team involved in a murder and then couldn't make it past the Sweet 16 as a 1 seed
  • A guy who signs more 5 stars than anyone yet hasn't made it past the first weekend in half a decade
  • A guy who we'd be asking to leave the NBA to return to college, despite no evidence he wants to do this
  • A guy who retired like a year ago and has a blossoming TV career

Who am I missing that is a better option?

This what it really comes down to. As I posted before the tourney began, RT hire would be all but automatic with final 4 appearance, just because you have to.

Anything less than that and feelers are going out.  Fortunately, I think CDC had already done his back channeling during the year and post season and had to hope RT performed up to at least seed expectations in the tourney as he had already done well enough in the regular season and conference tournament, given the lack of slam dunk hires available.

21 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Going back to a post I made earlier, what are the expectations for Texas basketball for y’all? Make the tournament every year and make the second weekend at least every few years? Compete for conference titles? 

Genuinely curious.

Consistently be in S16 or E8 as a base, going further is a plus. Obviously you play to win the game so a natty is always the goal. I think a great stepping stone for the program is what I mention 1st here to be able to do that is key to growth. Then you take the next step of E8's, Final 4's then try and win it all. As far as the tourney goes...

With regards to the conference, I'd say consistently finishing top 2-3 in the regular season and consistently playing in the championship game or semi-final of the conference tourney. But it goes back to the goal being to win either the regular season or the conference tourney. I favor winning the conference tourney more over the regular season as it seems more heralded.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

i hope he does well but am not impressed with the results. We were a top 8 team that finished in the top 8. At the very least, he met expectations with a team put together by Beard. I will give him credit for making the most of a difficult situation but how much of that was him vs 5th and 6th year players? I want the best for Texas and I hope RT is that guy but merely meeting expectations is not enough to me to give a career .500 coach the job. I hope I am wrong but just dont see it.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Longhorn94 said:

i hope he does well but am not impressed with the results. We were a top 8 team that finished in the top 8. At the very least, he met expectations with a team put together by Beard. I will give him credit for making the most of a difficult situation but how much of that was him vs 5th and 6th year players? I want the best for Texas and I hope RT is that guy but merely meeting expectations is not enough to me to give a career .500 coach the job. I hope I am wrong but just dont see it.

How many of the other Top 8 teams finished Top 8?

1 minute ago, Longhorn94 said:

i hope he does well but am not impressed with the results. We were a are the only top 8 team that finished in the top 8. At the very least, he met expectations with a team put together by Beard. I will give him credit for making the most of a difficult situation but how much of that was him vs 5th and 6th year players? I want the best for Texas and I hope RT is that guy but merely meeting expectations is not enough to me to give a career .500 coach the job. I hope I am wrong but just dont see it.

fify

1 minute ago, RichUT said:

How many of the other Top 8 teams finished Top 8?

It is my knowledge that we were the only team to make it to the elite 8 of all the 1 and 2 seeds. I personally think he did a hell of a job taking over midseason and how we performed in the big 12 tourney as well as curb stomping Kansas two of 3 times. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

If you don't hire Terry, that obviously means you have to hire someone else.  Who is your someone else?

I keep waiting for a realistic name that would take the job....

Maybe kick the tires on the Zaga dude to see what he could do at Texas with the recruiting benefits he'd have?

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I keep waiting for a realistic name that would take the job....

Maybe kick the tires on the Zaga dude to see what he could do at Texas with the recruiting benefits he'd have?

Gonzaga has been the number 1 seed five times in Mark Few's tenure and has never made a final four.  

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Gonzaga has been the number 1 seed five times in Mark Few's tenure and has never made a final four.  

Perhaps he has achieved all he can do at Gonzaga, they've never really had the most elite talent just really great teams. Perhaps at a school like Texas he can get the talent to get over the hump? Just a thought really.

14 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

If you don't hire Terry, that obviously means you have to hire someone else.  Who is your someone else?

i dont know. i just dont want to make a comfort hire. i would rather do a full blown search and if that leads us back to RT, then wonderful. 

1 minute ago, Longhorn94 said:

i dont know. i just dont want to make a comfort hire. i would rather do a full blown search and if that leads us back to RT, then wonderful. 

Don't you think we've already made those calls over the last three months, though?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

They were a number one seed and the national runner-up in 2021.

Shit, you're right.  Point stands that every potential option, even the elite of the elite, have giant red flags.  Terry's pre-Texas history certainly is one, as is Calipari's doing more with less, as is Oats's inability to keep his program under control, as is Few's struggles in March.  There's no slam dunk obvious hire (and this is assuming that any of them are actually obtainable beyond internet speculation) which makes it hard to go against the sentimental choice.

Weird take.  If we took a poll in December, I think "coaching in-season" would have been the biggest question mark on Terry's resume.  Recruiting, representing the university well, connecting with alumni, etc. were all known strengths of his.  I get the concerns with a Terry hire, genuinely I do, but I think the "rest of the job" is the part we won't have to worry about.

Really?  You don't get the concern?

He has had two previous stints where he was the guy in charge of running a program and he didn't exactly set the world on fire.  And those were much lower-level programs than what he is being handed the keys to.

The "rest of the job" includes building the roster, recruiting and managing the coaches and staff, setting the direction of the offseason program, identifying strengths and weaknesses of the team and adjusting the offense and defense schemes based on that, etc., etc.  All of that was in place when he took over this year. Can he effectively lead all of those processes and build a team that will compete for championships?  Yes, he was a part of that process this year, but that fact cuts both ways.

• Like 2

• Pancho changed the title to Official Coach Terry thread of dominance: Do it for the fam