Official Coach Terry thread of dominance: Do it for the fam

shadow_operative

2 hours ago, CTC2 said:

I have this nagging feeling that we have less of a coach today than we had at this time last year.  
I will probably re-up my donation and tickets but I just think we got sucked into the After School Special aspect of the RT story. 
The only good thing is that if RT is not successful, I don’t see the powers that be getting to far down the line with it.  The investment in basketball is too big to let it circle the drain.  
Maybe it’s just that I had a lot more optimism about what I thought Beard could do in the future over what I think we will do over the next four or so years. 
All that’s neither here nor there given where we are at. Nothing I can do but give RT a chance and hope he gets the support that Beard was getting because it’s fun when our basketball team is good. 

Circle the drain?

Come on, man.

Hiring Terry was the right thing to do. It was the program's first Elite 8 in 15 years. 2nd place finish in one of the Big 12's toughest years, conference tourney crown and a Top 5 finish in the polls. Holland the #6 player in the country is firmly committed following the news of the hiring and AJ Johnson is sticking around as well. Durant and LMA were very vocal about their support of Terry, it was a heart breaking end to the tourney run but this was the most enjoyable season by far in 15 years.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Pancho said:

Y’all have heard my position—he’s not my first choice and I wanted someone else.

But damn, its Uncle T’s team now and he has my full support. Part of me yesterday said Miami didn’t falter down the stretch because of their EE appearance and experience from last year. I believe we can have the same results.

Leggo.

I think I'd feel the same way in your shoes. But, as an outsider, he has earned a shot with how y'all picked up the pieces after the Beard disaster. It might not work out but he deserves the chance. He seems like a great guy, I know Bryson Williams thought extremely highly of him and that's worth a lot in my book.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i keep seeing people say this, and it's a baffling take. he was a D-1 head coach for 10 years and yet he was never once a candidate for any sort of upward move. that's a valid argument against the idea that he's a legit candidate for this job. 

right, cuz you're just a beam of sunshine. 

Who‘s the big hire then?  Who do we get that confirms our commits and keeps the momentum going forward? 

Who‘s the big hire then?  Who do we get that confirms our commits and keeps the momentum going forward? 

That’s not the point being made here. There are fair and valid criticisms of RT’s career trajectory to be made that don’t preclude him from also being a reasonable and defensible hire given his body of work this season.
  • Hook 'Em 3

image.thumb.png.2f5f9aa24cc1033e0be9c33855fa201d.png

That's it. That's the article.

actually there's a few more highlights... https://texassports.com/news/2023/3/27/mens-basketball-head-coach-rodney-terry.aspx

Rodney Terry Career Highlights
Rodney Terry
  • 2023 Sporting News National Coach of the Year
  • Led Texas to its first Elite 8 appearance since 2008
  • First Head Coach since Michigan's Steve Fisher in 1989 to reach the Elite 8 after not starting the season as Head Coach
  • Texas went 22-8 with Terry in charge during the 2022-23 season
  • Assistant Coach at Texas from 2002-11
  • Associate Head Coach at Texas in 2021-22
  • Head Coach at Fresno State from 2011-18
  • Head Coach at UTEP from 2018-21

I’m just glad that, for the first time in forever, our Athletic Department exits the entire situation looking level-headed and composed. We didn’t freak the fuck out and fire CB immediately, nor did we react at all to those people who were all WHY HAZNT HE BEEEN FIRED YET TEXAZZ AHHH. We took a measured approach and made our decision. Then, after our phenomenal late-season run we didn’t blink during the AHHH EXTEND HIM YESTERDAY WTF TEXAZZ AHHH bullshit we heard every 3 minutes. We took a measured approach and made our decision…

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Just now, Ignatius said:

I’m just glad that, for the first time in forever, our Athletic Department exits the entire situation looking level-headed and composed. We didn’t freak the fuck out and fire CB immediately, nor did we react at all to those people who were all WHY HAZNT HE BEEEN FIRED YET TEXAZZ AHHH. We took a measured approach and made our decision. Then, after our phenomenal late-season run we didn’t blink during the AHHH EXTEND HIM YESTERDAY WTF TEXAZZ AHHH bullshit we heard every 3 minutes. We took a measured approach and made our decision…

Like we have professional adults in charge. Wild for once 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

who else we may or may not be able to hire has nothing to do with what we're discussing here.

That’s the point of my post though.  Keeping RT and what we have momentum wise coming off our first E8 since 08 is more important in my eyes then the results he had from 2 historically bad programs.  Barnes two previous stops before Texas was Providence from 88-94 where he made the tourney 3 times with 3 first round losses and Clemson from 94-98 with 3 tournament appearances and 2 first round exits and he was very successful at Texas because of the brand.  

Fact of the matter is RT will have the resources he’s never had with a program with momentum from an Elite 8 appearance and a brand new stadium.  He’ll recruit well because of the brand and has seen what kind of team he wants to have.  His contract is half of what beard was making and the buyout won’t be insane so if 3 years from now it’s not great, cut ties.  But this moment in time, there’s not someone better for the spot that’s feasible.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RichUT said:

Why do we care? CDC has proven a level of competence where I have no level of curiosity on details like that.

Here’s one thing I am certain of: We can afford it.

Just curious because he’d have never made this hire without a gun to his head, he sort of had to do it and I won’t blame him if it goes bad, but just curious how much it will cost to undo it. You are undoubtedly right about we can afford it though I’m sure. 

34 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

It really seems like the media is just praising us right now for doing this. I can’t remember the last time Texas got favorable media coverage for doing, basically, anything. 

• Hook 'Em 1

If we guaranteed the entire damn contract, if we want to fire him in 3 years it would cost 6 million. So that’s worst case in my mind. Catastrophe would be we need to fire him after 2 and it’s 9 million. Still not a scary number, and he’d have to go like 5-25 for folks that matter to seriously think about it. 

I have no idea if Terry works out but tough not to hire him after a Big 12 tournament championship, a top 10 AP finish, and an elite 8 appearance. That's arguably one of our best seasons ever. 

Also, frankly some bad luck in the tournament even though we had a good draw. Lost Disu, Carr/Rice were banged up in the 2nd half against Miami, and of course the ref show. Sometimes you need a little luck to go your way. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, RichUT said:

That’s not the point being made here. There are fair and valid criticisms of RT’s career trajectory to be made that don’t preclude him from also being a reasonable and defensible hire given his body of work this season.

If you have valid criticisms then you should also be able to provide a legitimate candidate and not a wish list candidate. Everyone is all Tery this Terry that but provides absolutely no rebuttal to who else it should be. 

3 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

who else we may or may not be able to hire has nothing to do with what we're discussing here.

So you don’t have a candidate that we should have targeted that was a legitimate option so the only thing you can muster at this point is to bitch? Yeah that’s pretty on brand for your fatass

Edited by BurntOrange&White

28 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

If you have valid criticisms then you should also be able to provide a legitimate candidate and not a wish list candidate. Everyone is all Tery this Terry that but provides absolutely no rebuttal to who else it should be. 

Because this is impossible. Neither you nor I know who legit candidates would be because we aren’t CDC. The only person in this scenario who would know what coaches were legit candidates and who weren’t would be CDC. So every coach named for this job not named Rodney Terry would automatically be “wish” candidates. That’s the same for every opening regardless of sport. 

If you trust the insiders that [insert coach here] was a legit candidate for the football job a few years ago, then you also have to believe them when they say [insert coach here] was a legit candidate for the basketball job. Now, those insiders have been asked to reveal who the big names were that reached out but so far, they have yet to name those coaches. 

• Hook 'Em 2

14 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Folks saying that a 3yr contract is bad and 5yr is appropriate -- what about a 4yr contract??   On a compensation level, maybe CDC doesn't necessarily have to pay more than what Cronin and Buzz are paid  -- give RT more money for his assistant coaching staff.

Found this...

Top-10 Highest-Paid College Basketball Coaches in March, 2023

image.gif.8bb93085ba8de9361ff958837176463c.gif

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

????? uh, wrong. first off, there are dozens and dozens of pages of people suggesting other candidates. second, you don't need to k ow everything about every potential candidate to know that Coach A doesn't have a resume that's up to the standards of this job. terrible post. 

13 hours ago, Big Woodrows said:

Good for Terry. Remains to be seen if he'll be a long-term success as Texas basketball coach. But at a minimum he's proven to be a quality person, leader and representative of the university. 

Love when good things happen to good people. He's obviously one of those. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Chad said:

Holland the #6 player in the country is firmly committed following the news of the hiring and AJ Johnson is sticking around as well.

This is absolutely the most important near-term benefit of the Terry hire.  We hire from outside, and those guys likely go elsewhere, and the new coach and new staff don't have the time and relationships invested in recruiting to make up for the loss of talent and depth that Terry and his staff have built over the past two years.  No question next season was going to be a bigger rebuild than in years past for whomever Texas hired, but I think Terry and continuity in the staff gives us a better chance for success next season.

As for long term, let's just see.  He could do well and in Year 5 make us grateful that CDC stuck with him.  I hope that's the case.  If not, it's college sports, it's a business, and the Texas administration will make a change. 

Congrats to Coach Terry. 🤘

• Hook 'Em 7

7 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

????? uh, wrong. first off, there are dozens and dozens of pages of people suggesting other candidates. second, you don't need to k ow everything about every potential candidate to know that Coach A doesn't have a resume that's up to the standards of this job. terrible post. 

Then why when people ask the question to present an argument for said coaches that there are apparently dozens and dozens of pages can no on seem to do it with regards to a legitimate candidate that we could actually obtain? Those dozens and dozens of pages you so called candidates are just wish cast post. So please, provide a list of 1-3 guys who you think we could have legitimately could have made a run at instead of Terry and why they would or could come to Texas.

I don't think it's that difficult of a task to do and you can clearly eliminate certain coaches due to buyouts and etc. 

12 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

There are two discreet points here that, while conceptually related, are not directly linked nor at odds with each other:

Point 1 - Prior to this past season, there was nothing in Rodney Terry's job history or performance that would have resulted in him being a credible candidate for the head coaching job at the University of Texas. While that is technically a subjective statement, only the biggest of idiots would suggest that he would have received any consideration.

Point 2 - Based on his body of work THIS SEASON, Rodney Terry was a credible candidate to be our next basketball coach and arguably the best/right choice given the lack of a "sure thing" candidate like Billy Donovan or Jay Wright.

Both points can be and are true at the exact same time. What allows that to be case is the passage of time between the two reference points.

Both points are also highly relevant as it relates to projecting Rodney Terry's future ability to build a successful program over an extended period of time. It's fair to project risk based on Rodney's previous stops as a head basketball coach. It's also fair to project optimism based on what we just saw play out this season. 

Continuing to spam this board with the question of "well who would be a better choice?" is neither insightful nor helpful. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, RichUT said:

There are two discreet points here that, while conceptually related, are not directly linked nor at odds with each other:

Point 1 - Prior to this past season, there was nothing in Rodney Terry's job history or performance that would have resulted in him being a credible candidate for the head coaching job at the University of Texas. While that is technically a subjective statement, only the biggest of idiots would suggest that he would have received any consideration.

Point 2 - Based on his body of work THIS SEASON, Rodney Terry was a credible candidate to be our next basketball coach and arguably the best/right choice given the lack of a "sure thing" candidate like Billy Donovan or Jay Wright.

Both points can be and are true at the exact same time. What allows that to be case is the passage of time between the two reference points.

Both points are also highly relevant as it relates to projecting Rodney Terry's future ability to build a successful program over an extended period of time. It's fair to project risk based on Rodney's previous stops as a head basketball coach. It's also fair to project optimism based on what we just saw play out this season. 

Continuing to spam this board with the question of "well who would be a better choice?" is neither insightful nor helpful. 

So how is spamming the board shitting on/questioning the Terry hire insightful or helpful? Those are the people we're talking to when we're asking who then? Especially to those are adamant about the subject. 

If you're going to throw down that he's not good enough for the job then at least provide some fucking names and reasoning for those names that are legitimate. 

Jesus Christ. This isn' that hard. The perception was that he wasn't good enough for the job before. New shit came to light and there is a solid chance that perception was wrong. While a vocal minority (and a bunch of trolls) are saying he's the wrong hire, most people (myself included) see the hire as rationale and defensible. 

However, recency bias is a very real thing. Therefore, it's normal for people capable of critical thinking to point out that just MAYBE that original perception will be proven right.

The net here is that most people understand the decision to hire RT, but there is no need to deny the fact that it carries a level of risk. Some folks that support the hire want to discuss that risk, which should be totally fine. 

• Hook 'Em 8

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Then why when people ask the question to present an argument for said coaches that there are apparently dozens and dozens of pages can no on seem to do it with regards to a legitimate candidate that we could actually obtain? Those dozens and dozens of pages you so called candidates are just wish cast post. So please, provide a list of 1-3 guys who you think we could have legitimately could have made a run at instead of Terry and why they would or could come to Texas.

I don't think it's that difficult of a task to do and you can clearly eliminate certain coaches due to buyouts and etc. 

49 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

So how is spamming the board shitting on/questioning the Terry hire insightful or helpful? Those are the people we're talking to when we're asking who then? Especially to those are adamant about the subject. 

If you're going to throw down that he's not good enough for the job then at least provide some fucking names and reasoning for those names that are legitimate. 

It really is unclear what you’re not understanding. No one knows who was a legitimate candidate or not except for CDC. You’re asking people to provide information that isn’t attainable because they don’t have the ability to get such information. Every single person mentioned besides Terry was a wish just like Urban was a wish. 

People on this board don’t know who Texas “could actually obtain” because members of this message boards aren’t part of the high level discussions. I’m not sure what’s confusing about that? If you want examples of coaches this message board thought we had a “legitimate” shot at, you have some reading to do because that has been hashed and rehashed for months. You can go to the UT next basketball coach discussion/debate thread as that’s where your question has been asked and answered since December 12th.

• Hook 'Em 6