Official Coach Terry thread of dominance: Do it for the fam

shadow_operative

59 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Good for Terry, all around, including the red head. 

that's cdc's wife.

that's cdc's wife.

that's cdc's wife.

that's cdc's wife.

• Haha 1

Can RT recruit one kid that is a stretch the defense, lights out three point shooter? If Xavier can find powder surely we can find one. I’m tired of playing southern Wyoming and watching 5 white dudes hit 19 threes as a team. Just one season i would love to have a guy that scares the shit out of the other team because his range is from anywhere on the court. Idgaf about who’s the super athlete big name. Give me howdy doody if he can shoot the rock.
IOW we need one of those white guys that the other fan bases hate with passion.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

I agree.  But shit I am wrong on coaches all the time.  Hope I am on this one.

He certainly did a good job as an interim.

He absolutely did.
I don’t think he’s the right guy either but impossible to hate, seems like a really solid dude who has worked hard for us. I hope he succeeds.

I could see the biggest danger being mediocrity. If he succeeds – that’s best-case scenario, if it falls apart quickly OK, we move on. But if it’s just good enough to not change but not good enough to have a chance at the big prize that can be a greater issue and harder to get past.

Lots of ball to play though, and we of all fans know how quickly things can change.

The king is dead, long live the king.

I’m sure I missed this somewhere, but what did RT end up getting paid this year?  Shirley more than his assistant wages.  He got a $50,000 per month raise through April-up to $800000-but was there a little lagniappe for a job well done?

15 minutes ago, gofuckyourself said:

He can afford LASIK now for sure right? Just in case?

At his age, and mine, having LASIK or not ain't a question of money. It's a question of having to choose which version of bad vision you're going to accept in favor of the new. Because your eyes don't focus so well any more, right?

Me, even if I got LASIK, I'd still need glasses. I'd need them either for driving or for reading. And it's not like I'd get the benefit for long; ten years from now, it'd all be fucked up again.

I mean, you can put LED headlamps on a '73 Pinto, but the car's still the same piece of shit it's been for half a century, so what's the point?

• Hook 'Em 2

I like Coach Terry. I like the story of this season.  We’re not a blue blood basketball school and don’t have the gravitas IMO to attract a Jay Wright out of retirement, or some other A-List guy, so we would be looking at some kind of rando next best thing (like Sark in football) that may or may not work out.  It’s tricky for all the different forces to come together to get your dream coach.  So, program continuity is better served by keeping Coach T and the staff intact and moving forward.  You can’t just money whip an A-List guy.  You just look at aggy over there for a good example of what not to do.  So let’s all get on board and support the program. 

• Hook 'Em 1

ANYBODY who is wringing their hands over the hiring of Rodney Terry... is a fucking moron.

Simply because there wasn't ANY FUCKING COACH IN THE NATION we could hire that would provide a big enough splash with their hire, to negate the negative fallout from not hiring Terry. Not a single coach in the universe that you can name would have been a more positive hire than the hire we made.  The name does not exist.Now if you want to mire yourself in minutia to try to rationalize a moronic position, that is your right.  But stop pretending that your prose and musing are anything but fucking moronic, in the face of factual reality.

Terry was the best hire we could have made. Period!  To pretend this is not the case IMHO is simply to pretend that reality does not exist.

4 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

I like Coach Terry. I like the story of this season.  We’re not a blue blood basketball school and don’t have the gravitas IMO to attract a Jay Wright out of retirement, or some other A-List guy, so we would be looking at some kind of rando next best thing (like Sark in football) that may or may not work out.  It’s tricky for all the different forces to come together to get your dream coach.  So, program continuity is better served by keeping Coach T and the staff intact and moving forward.  You can’t just money whip an A-List guy.  You just look at aggy over there for a good example of what not to do.  So let’s all get on board and support the program. 

This post is a little misguided for me. 

First off, no program was getting Jay Wright unless your name was the Philadelphia 76ers. 

Second, Texas does have the gravitas to pull a pretty big name due to support, NIL, pay, amongst other things; however, as long as Terry was doing well, the situation was continuing to set itself up to where Terry had to be the choice. So I agree with you that for continuity purposes, you had to keep Terry. Where i disagree is Texas’ ability to draw a big name. What is unknown is who Texas could have drawn because Texas kept doing so well. Because we kept doing well after Terry took over, it was less and less likely that we’d go after someone because why would you? Combine that with the fact that Terry is well liked by coaches, recruits, media, and they were all lobbying for him to get the permanent job means there was no reason to let him go, especially after an EE run—our first in 15 years.

So everyone wanting to know “well what elite coach could Texas have gotten?!?!?!” Or for those calling people who don’t want Terry idiotic, you’re just yelling at fucking clouds. It’s well documented on this site that a lot of posters do believe we will be looking for a new coach in 3-4 years, but that doesn’t mean they/we aren’t supportive of Terry and want him to be very, very successful here. Those aren’t mutually exclusive. 

Had Texas pulled a 2009-2010 season situation, then yes, I don’t believe Terry would be the HC right now and we would have seen who CDC could have pulled. That’s a moot point now, so onward with RT and he definitely has my support.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, horn4life said:

ANYBODY who is wringing their hands over the hiring of Rodney Terry... is a fucking moron.

Simply because there wasn't ANY FUCKING COACH IN THE NATION we could hire that would provide a big enough splash with their hire, to negate the negative fallout from not hiring Terry. Not a single coach in the universe that you can name would have been a more positive hire than the hire we made.  The name does not exist.Now if you want to mire yourself in minutia to try to rationalize a moronic position, that is your right.  But stop pretending that your prose and musing are anything but fucking moronic, in the face of factual reality.

Terry was the best hire we could have made. Period!  To pretend this is not the case IMHO is simply to pretend that reality does not exist.

who are you yelling at here?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

This post is a little misguided for me. 

First off, no program was getting Jay Wright unless your name was the Philadelphia 76ers. 

Second, Texas does have the gravitas to pull a pretty big name due to support, NIL, pay, amongst other things; however, as long as Terry was doing well, the situation was continuing to set itself up to where Terry had to be the choice. So I agree with you that for continuity purposes, you had to keep Terry. Where i disagree is Texas’ ability to draw a big name. What is unknown is who Texas could have drawn because Texas kept doing so well. Because we kept doing well after Terry took over, it was less and less likely that we’d go after someone because why would you? Combine that with the fact that Terry is well liked by coaches, recruits, media, and they were all lobbying for him to get the permanent job means there was no reason to let him go, especially after an EE run—our first in 15 years.

So everyone wanting to know “well what elite coach could Texas have gotten?!?!?!” Or for those calling people who don’t want Terry idiotic, you’re just yelling at fucking clouds. It’s well documented on this site that a lot of posters do believe we will be looking for a new coach in 3-4 years, but that doesn’t mean they/we aren’t supportive of Terry and want him to be very, very successful here. Those aren’t mutually exclusive. 

Had Texas pulled a 2009-2010 season situation, then yes, I don’t believe Terry would be the HC right now and we would have seen who CDC could have pulled. That’s a moot point now, so onward with RT and he definitely has my support.

So Terry was the absolutely best hire given the reality of the circumstances.  I agree completely!

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

Has there ever talk about trying to become a ‘Jordan’ school ?

their merchandise / marketing is next level 

I know it is all under the larger Nike umbrella, but I'm not sure a Jordan deal would work with the Kevin Durant portions of our current Nike deal.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

I did not know Durant was sponsoring / partnering with UT 

https://www.bizjournals.com/portland/blog/threads_and_laces/2015/11/in-wake-of-texas-mega-deal-a-new.html

Nike's winning bid included an array of perks, including a line of footwear and apparel from the sportswear company's Kevin Durant line. As part of the deal, Durant, a Nike endorser and Texas alumni, also agreed to give the university $15 million. Nike's winning Michigan bid included an agreement to outfit the university's athletic programs in merchandise from its Jordan Brand.

• Hook 'Em 1

Look if we’re going to get new fans because they thing he looks like Gus Fring, I’m all for it. I also have told people I’ve never seen so many outsiders (and media) give Texas props or think positively of Texas for giving the job to RT. 

AND I WANT THAT BUTTON UP!

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

Gerry shot down the TJ Ford assistant rumors a week ago for very justifiable reasons. 

The open assistant coaching job is supposedly going to be a long time assistant or a former HC—basically someone who knows what to do and when to do it. That’s not TJ.

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

John Riley expected to join Beard at Ole Miss...

Would that be a big loss? Could we improve that position?

From a S&C standpoint, yes it’s a big loss. He was highly regarded and was big in implementing the “culture”. Players really liked him.

Now with that being said, if given the choice between keeping Reilly or an assistant like Donewald, I’m taking Donewald every time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Correct, you keep Donewald. While I liked Reilly, he and Beard looked like they had an uncle/nephew type relationship. It sounded like he will go wherever beard goes, even if that’s to some dipshit college. 

S&C will be an interesting hire for Terry. Besides tweaks here and there from odd injuries, I thought our conditioning was great this year.

x/post

rodney terry and todd wright are great friends, and Coach Wright has plenty of disciples and connections out there. i'm not worried about finding a new S&C coach.

in fact speaking of Wright, he's the best in the business and rick barnes lost him when he moved to Tennessee and barnes's steams haven't missed a beat S&C wise. he hired TW protege Garrett Medenwald, as we all know those boys in Tennessee are some grown ass men.