Official Coach Terry thread of dominance: Do it for the fam

shadow_operative

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Gerry Hamilton with some info on the staff:

One, as we have been saying since the win to get to the Sweet 16, Rodney Terry is expected to be the next head coach at Texas.

The number one question after that has been his staff.

Here are my thoughts as of Monday AM at 12:15'ish central:

Would be surprised if Bob Donewald Jr. is not on the Texas staff.

Same for Brandon Chappell.

Also I would expect Chris Ogden to return to his GM of Texas basketball role. He's tremendous at it, and it's so important for the future as the recruiting landscape has shifted and changed.

Should Ogden move back to the GM role as expected, Terry will have one assistant spot to fill. My expectations are that of a heavy lifter in recruiting. Rodney Terry filled that roll in spades for Beard. Terry will still be extremely key in recruiting. His role as head coach expands now, however. So the heavy lifter in recruiting is going to be key. That is a position with experience and plenty of connections. Long standing connections are so key in portal recruiting these days.

Would add that there is a good chance the vast majority of the staff remains under Terry. That goes down to the guys who are extremely impactful in recruiting, player development in the summer and video.

This info is KEY to Rodney’s success.  He has to have a great assistant staff to touch all the bases in getting the best players, coaching them up, having great camaraderie within the team, and not having a fiancé to deal with.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

$3M for 4 years would have been my prediction as well. CDC is smart with coach's salaries. He will pay top dollars for a top coach but he also understands when he can get away with a lower salary. $3M is not bad for a basketball coach at most programs. 

48 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Gerry said he's hearing a 4 or 5 year deal at around $3 million a year.

Probably loaded with incentives

• Hook 'Em 1

Nothing really to add here.   Agree that if we have a healthy Disu, Rice, and Carr in those last 10 minutes yesterday and it goes like we think it should have, it would be pretty much unanimous about giving him the job.

Keeping RT is one thing but from my observation, it is just as important to keep this staff in tact if we are to retain him.  There was a lot of coaching by committee going on that I don't typically see going on with regard to other teams.  At least from my 10,000 foot view.

I am in the skeptic camp but I hope he tears it up here.  

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

What year was it when we were #1 in February and then fell apart? 2009?  That’s what I thought would happen.  So he gets immense credit from me for that not happening.  

2009-2010...yes. That was when I got my "November National Champions" shirt.

3 for 5 is not some huge hinderance if he flops. At most, he's getting 3 or 4 years. That means the buyout would be $6M or below. Just don't extend him until year 3 or 4, unless he wins the NC in the 1st 3 years. No more, he lost to Northen Iowa on a half court heave so let's extend him bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The portal really changes things. I’m excited about it. Almost all the long standing head coaches and blue bloods got their clocks cleaned before the Sweet 16.RT is being given every chance with sizable resources plus a brand new Moody and a fun atmosphere. I am hoping for the best. I get many aren’t as excited but I feel pretty good about our BB team’s direction. Considering a few months ago, we fired our once in a life time generational HC for dumbassedry it could be a lot worse. Wonder what the perennial favorite teams will do because the landscape has changed. Just like watching Saban at Bama…it’s not a given anymore for some of these coaches and teams that have had a lock on this sport forever. Not as many people will watch the FFand hey whatever but at least it’s not the same fucking teams every damn year. I wish RT and the team the best of luck and hope we don’t have to go HC shopping in a few years. 🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼

• Hook 'Em 5

5 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

3 for 5 is not some huge hinderance if he flops. At most, he's getting 3 or 4 years. That means the buyout would be $6M or below. Just don't extend him until year 3 or 4, unless he wins the NC in the 1st 3 years. No more, he lost to Northen Iowa on a half court heave so let's extend him bullshit.

But what if the Rockets are interested in him?!?!?

16 hours ago, Helobious said:

Said it before, at the end of the day there were only 4 coaches in the country that did better than he did this year. Fuck it why not. 

There was a nice coach from VCU in 2011 who got to the Final Four, which is more than can be said for RT. Hiring that guy was a disaster.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Rudiger said:

There was a nice coach from VCU in 2011 who got to the Final Four, which is more than can be said for RT. Hiring that guy was a disaster.

That guy did not come here and keep doing what he did at VCU and the reason we hired him. Instead based on this board he saw this job as a stepping stone to the NBA and changed his offense and defense styles as a way to interview for the NBA and yes that was a disaster for us.

• Pancho changed the title to Official Coach Terry thread of dominance: Do it for the fam

Y’all have heard my position—he’s not my first choice and I wanted someone else.

But damn, its Uncle T’s team now and he has my full support. Part of me yesterday said Miami didn’t falter down the stretch because of their EE appearance and experience from last year. I believe we can have the same results.

Leggo.

• Hook 'Em 9

46 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Win/win/win for us, Terry and CDC.  Let's roll.

The “he wasn’t good at fresno or UTEP” argument is fucking stupid.  Fresno St has made the tournament 6 times ever (Terry coached one of the 6).   Made it to the second round twice and the sweet 16 once.  They’ve won 5 conference championships ever (Terry winning 1).  UTEP hasn’t made the tournament since 2010 and only made it past the 2nd round 4 times.   You can say Terry wasn’t impressive at these places sure, but fucking no one has been.  “Good coaches win at lesser programs to get bigger jobs”. Shaka says hello fuckasses. 

The “we’ll need to hire a new coach in 3 years but don’t ask me who I’d hire” group needs to suck a dick too.  “I’d hire Billy Donovan or Mark Few or pull Jay Wright outta retirement!”  Yeah like we’ve done with every hire the last 10 years.  Beard was as close as we’ve gotten to doing that and his ass was walking through the door before we had the contract numbers set. 

RT was the only hire to make.  Was there a perception part to it? Sure.  It was gonna be a hard sell for it not to be RT.  He’s a guy that kids will vouch for, he’s got momentum coming off a great run, our two 5 stars have reconfirmed their commitment and Texas NIL will always bring kids in.  The questions were about his coaching and we had the best offensive team we’ve had in years and the biggest part of that is returning as an assistant next year 

Some of y’all are just like Bohlsack or fatfuck Ketch. Everything’s a fucking negative.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

23 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Y’all have heard my position—he’s not my first choice and I wanted someone else.

But damn, its Uncle T’s team now and he has my full support. Part of me yesterday said Miami didn’t falter down the stretch because of their EE appearance and experience from last year. I believe we can have the same results.

Leggo.

I have this nagging feeling that we have less of a coach today than we had at this time last year.  
I will probably re-up my donation and tickets but I just think we got sucked into the After School Special aspect of the RT story. 
The only good thing is that if RT is not successful, I don’t see the powers that be getting to far down the line with it.  The investment in basketball is too big to let it circle the drain.  
Maybe it’s just that I had a lot more optimism about what I thought Beard could do in the future over what I think we will do over the next four or so years. 
All that’s neither here nor there given where we are at. Nothing I can do but give RT a chance and hope he gets the support that Beard was getting because it’s fun when our basketball team is good. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

The “he wasn’t good at fresno or UTEP” argument is fucking stupid.

i keep seeing people say this, and it's a baffling take. he was a D-1 head coach for 10 years and yet he was never once a candidate for any sort of upward move. that's a valid argument against the idea that he's a legit candidate for this job. 

14 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

Some of y’all are just like Bohlsack or fatfuck Ketch. Everything’s a fucking negative.  

right, cuz you're just a beam of sunshine. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

41 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Leggo.

This. He’s the guy, so I support the guy until he shows that he shouldn’t be the guy anymore. My fandom doesn’t come and go based on who the coach is. The level of fandom might, but I will always root for UT to win. Which means the coach to win 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

How has 1604 not been crowdsourced at this point?

4 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Looks like it’s gettin there

It took me a few minutes, but I negged him 150 times, and he's now in the negative. His crowdsourcing is imminent.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Good deal on both sides. There is no proven coach you can hire who did better this year than Terry. Donovan and Wright werent and won’t come to Texas.

Time to reload. Need a PG, two bugs and a shooting forward. Work to do. 

Basketball coach seems so much harder than football.  Even with the portal you rarely see a football team just starting from scratch every year.