Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

Head Coach: RT

Roster:

Of the following scholarship players, who comes back?

Center: N/A

Forwards: Dylan Disu, Brock Cunningham, Dillon Mitchell, Alex Anamekwe

Guards: Tyrese Hunter, Arterio Morris, Rowan Brumbaugh, Gavin Perryman

Out of Eligibility: Timmy Allen, Christian Bishop, Marcus Carr, Sir'Jabari Rice

Recruits: Ron Holland (F), AJ Johnson (CG)

If everyone comes back/is on scholarship, that's 10 accounted for. However, I'm sure that doesn't happen.

Edited by MuellerHorn

G: Hunter/TBD Portal/Brumbaugh

G: Morris/TBD Portal/Perryman

G: Johnson/Cunningham/Bott

F: Mitchell/Holland/Clark

F: Disu/TBD Portal/Anamekwe

Who knows who all will come back, but that roster would be very good.  Head to the portal to find replacements for Carr, Rice, and Bishop.  Mitchell, Holland, and Johnson can take Allen’s minutes.  If Brumbaugh is any good then they may only need 1 G from the portal.  If Anamekwe is any good then they may not need a big if everybody else comes back.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, BornAndRaised said:

Anyone care to share this? 

not sure if its more appropriate for the 22-23 thread but at least it'll give some insight into who might be bolting.

Spoiler

Congrats to the staff on a very good season. Team went through an extremely difficult situation, and the staff and players stayed together. Tip of the cap.

Rodney Terry is expected be the next head coach. The staff will very largely stay in tact, should RT want it to. And I think he will.

I'm not really going to go over the game. One, Texas had rough injury luck at the worst time. Disu out. Rice clearly hobbled, which took away his ability to cut and handle the ball against pressure, and Carr's injury did some of the same. It affected Texas defensively. And it affected how Texas attacked offensively. With all the said, not making Jordan Miller take one 18-19 footer for a 40 minute game was a mistake. And it was a bad mistake.

The future of Texas basketball has a lot of momentum. This season provides Terry and staff a real chance moving forward. The story a few days ago is a starter for those that didn't see it. https://www.on3.com/teams/texas-longhorns/news/texas-hoops-recruiting-new-targets-in-2023/

Texas has a lot of portal and high school interest right now, as expected. The Longhorns are working from a position of strength.

And here is why:
Texas transfers have improved as players at Texas, and have had the opportunity on a very big stage.

The Moody Center is a top notch facility in college basketball.

Texas high school basketball is extremely talent rich. Texas high school basketball is actually more talented than football in the state, but it's not a true basketball state and it's not publicized the same way. And a lot of kids are transferring out to national teams more and more., and that affects the national coverage somewhat. Texas will attract high-end talent. Then it comes down to evaluation, and fitting into a roster that will be experienced driven.

There is a very positive foundation in the program. The former players are invested publicly, with their time helping and supporting the brand. But Texas will need to produce a next wave of players in the coming years to continue that.

Portal recruiting in many ways will come down to NIL. It's just reality. No reason to run from it. That will be huge moving forward. NIL in portal recruiting is getting more aggressive.

For Rodney Terry and staff, it comes down to roster building. Always being experienced, but also developing high school prospects long term. There will not be great college teams anymore due to the NBA G-league and Overtime Elite leagues. And the next CBA will very likely take away the current age limit. It's very important to not always recruit the highest ranked prospects that are going to college. Those players will come with some unrealistic expectations due to the new found portal experience of college basketball teams. Finding the right fits, that are talented enough with the mindset on development is going to be key.

Texas will have some different recruiting and roster building goals moving forward. Texas will sign a 6-8/6-9 skilled big from high school every year that can develop with the developmental mindset. That will start in the 2024 class, unless a late 2023 becomes a reality. But it will be bigs with skill. Texas wants to play an inviting and exciting style of ball. That happens with four skilled players on the floor, and enough rebounding and rim protection. Texas will desire to have the ability to space the floor, and shoot the ball from multiple spots on the perimeter.

Texas players out of eligibility:
G Marcus Carr
G Sir'Jabari Rice
F Timmy Allen
PF Christian Bishop

Texas players for sure expected back:
F Brock Cunningham
SF Alex Anamekwe

Texas players that can return:
PG Tyrese Hunter
PF Dylan Disu
CG Arterio Morris
F Dillon Mitchell
G Rowan Brumbaugh

How many of those players will return, there is not a definitive answer there right now. It's not as easy as has eligibility and will or should return.

2023 Prospects signed:
5-star F Ronald Holland
5-star PG A.J. Johnson

I expect Texas to sign at least one more 2023 high school prospect. That could be a skilled PF, or a lengthy guard with ability off the bounce. Or both dependent on who returns.

The portal needs will be one big, should Disu return. But he can't stay healthy, so Texas may need to address that further. Texas will look for one experienced guard that is a shot maker. Where the staff fully goes in the portal will be largely dependent on who returns next season. That should play itself out in the next 2-3 weeks.

Congrats to the 2022-23 Texas team on a very good season!

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

G: Hunter/TBD Portal/Brumbaugh

G: Morris/TBD Portal/Perryman

G: Johnson/Cunningham/Bott

F: Mitchell/Holland/Clark

F: Disu/TBD Portal/Anamekwe

Who knows who all will come back, but that roster would be very good.  Head to the portal to find replacements for Carr, Rice, and Bishop.  Mitchell, Holland, and Johnson can take Allen’s minutes.  If Brumbaugh is any good then they may only need 1 G from the portal.  If Anamekwe is any good then they may not need a big if everybody else comes back.

Anamekwe is super athletic, but he's only 6'5. He'd have to refine he skills and/or play like P.J. Tucker as a smaller PF.

As Gerry Hamilton mentioned, they really covet another (true) big from the portal, as they have concerns with Disu's ability to stay healthy.

28 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I would get the Tech big guy Fardaws Aimaq.  He would give us a legit center and is a good rebounder and defender.  Once he came back from injury Tech was a different team.  

Isn't he a cunt?

I thought I read that he's difficult but I could be mistaken.

• Hook 'Em 3

46 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I would get the Tech big guy Fardaws Aimaq.  He would give us a legit center and is a good rebounder and defender.  Once he came back from injury Tech was a different team.  

He's a cancer and showed up to Tech out of shape before he got hurt. They weren't sad to see him go.

Edited by Hookem2147

Recruiting notes (portal and HS) from Gerry Hamilton

Spoiler

Portal is popping

There have been a number of players that have entered the portal be mentioned as having talked to Texas, or having interest in Texas. Inside Texas can report that the Texas staff is receiving many calls right now. The staff is in evaluation mode on players in the portal, with style of play and fit being so key. Those initial communications are going to be very important.

A first name that popped up as having contact with the staff was Temple transfer guard Khalif Battle. Inside Texas does not expect the Longhorns to heavily pursue Battle. He visited UCF over the weekend, for those that like to keep up.

One name that Inside Texas believes the Longhorns have real interest in, is USC transfer guard Reese Waters-Dixon. The 6-foot-5 guard was the Pac-12 Sixth Man of the Year this season. He transfers with two years remaining, which makes him even more attractive. There has been contact made.

Two names that IT hears has interest in Texas are North Carolina very talented transfer guard Caleb Love, and Oregon 7-footer Kel’El Ware. Love is an athletic guard that can score it at a high level, and has very good vision. He has plenty of big game experience, including the 2022 Final Four and National Championship game. Missouri and many others will work to be in the mix for the 6-foot-3 guard. Texas recruited Ware out of a high school. He has been on campus in Austin before. Ware has plenty of upside, but did not come close to meeting it as a freshman in Eugene, especially the last 12-14 games.

This process is just beginning for the Texas staff, and there will be plenty of new names enter the portal in the next two or three weeks.

Ron Holland and A.J. Johnson

Texas has two 2023 prospects that have signed, and are expected in Austin this summer. Five-star’s Ron Holland and A.J. Johnson both commented Monday on the news of Rodney Terry expected to be head coach of the Longhorns.

On3 Industry Ranking No. 7 overall Ron Holland spoke to media while at the McDonald’s All-American festities and backed his support for Terry.

“I’m really excited about that,” Holland said of Terry being offered the job to On3’s Joe Tipton. “Just knowing how hard he had those guys playing and he really deserves that job. Just to see him reach that goal and for them to give him the opportunity to continue to coach that team, it’s a really good feeling for me because I get to stay committed to that team. Me and AJ Johnson, we get to go try get us a national championship next year.”

Inside Texas also caught up with five-star point guard AJ Johnson. The 6-foot-6 point guard and No. 16 overall prospect echoed Holland’s statements.

“I feel really good about that,” Johnson said. “He’s a really good coach. I had a relationship with him before (Chris) Beard. Coach Terry and I have a very good relationship. It definitely helps me a lot.”

Texas could pursue another high school prospect in the 2023 class, but that will be determined by how many players on the current roster return next year. The Texas staff should have a clearer picture on that in a week or so.

Texas has momentum in 2024

The Texas staff is working with quite a bit of momentum in the 2024 cycle. And there are some long standing relationships at play, with a number of prospects having been on campus numerous times in the last year.

Tre Johnson, SG, 6-5, Richardson (Texas) Lake Highlands
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 1 (5-star)
*Made official visit to Texas September 16-18. Texas has as good of a shot as any college program.

Robert Miller III, PF, 6-9, Pasadena (Texas) Memorial
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 85
*Has been on campus five times since last spring. Texas is considered the favorite.

Liam McNeeley, SF, 6-7, Richardson (Texas) Montverde Academy
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 8 (5-star)
*Has been on campus multiple times. Texas is very much in the mix here. Very much.

Kuol Atak, F, 6-8.5, Haltom (Texas) High
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 114
*Made unofficial visit for Kansas game March 4. Texas really likes Atak’s upside, and the fit as a person. He wowed the Texas staff March 4 on his visit.

Cam Scott, SG, 6-5, Lexington (S.C.) High
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 24
*Made official visit to Texas during the season. Don’t sleep on Texas here, assuming Terry and staff make a big push.

Donnie Freeman, PF, 6-8.5, Washington (D.C.) St. John’s College High
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 42
*Already made official visit to Texas. Bob Donewald Jr. is the primary recruiter.

Sebastian Rancik, PF, 6-9, San Juan Capistrano (Calif.) J Serra Catholic
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 65
*Texas offered March 19. The Longhorns are expected to be very much in the mix.

Jared Harris, CG, 6-3.5, Silsbee (Texas) High
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 71
*Kansas offered March 3. Brandon Chappell is the primary recruiter.

• Hook 'Em 3

49 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Would be stunned to see Mitchell return.  Seems like someone will grab him in first round even if he stashed in G League next year. 

Yup. That’s what I was thinking as the season starting winding down. 

56 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Gerry: Arterio returning looking good, not looking so good for Dillon

Not too surprising.  Really had high hopes for Mitchell, but he was basically giving us nothing offensively all year.  Hopefully Holland easily slides into that position. 

Really want to see Morris back, I think he pairs nicely alongside Hunter, like his 3 point shot and his speed and athleticism, and we don't have to throw AJ Johnson out there right away. 

54 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Disu go.

Sure hope he/his family loves RT enough and the NIL is big enough to get him to stay.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Mitchell is an absurd athlete

He is indeed an absurd athlete. But he was a black hole offensively in our starting lineup. If Holland brings an offensive ability, he's an upgrade. 

https://theathletic.com/4354804/2023/03/27/bronny-james-wagner-holland-mcdonalds-game/

The MVP of the practice sessions was Texas commit Ron Holland. On Day 1, he went 5-of-8 from 3, was lights out defensively, and had the hottest motor. Holland separated himself this week in front of NBA scouts, and as one specifically put it, “He’s been the best player in the gym.”

Holland also spoke about Rodney Terry agreeing to a five-year contract to become Texas’ full-time coach.

“I’m really excited about that,” Holland said. “He really deserves that job … It’s a really good feeling for me because I get to stay committed to that team. Me and AJ Johnson. We get to go try to get us a national championship next year.”

• Hook 'Em 7

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

On Day 1, he went 5-of-8 from 3, was lights out defensively, and had the hottest motor. Holland separated himself this week in front of NBA scouts, and as one specifically put it, “He’s been the best player in the gym.”

Salivating Homer Simpson GIF

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

My take on it was that he'd be declaring for the draft.

and that right there is why march madness will only continue to be more and more mad. the 1 and 2 seeds are only getting worse, while the 13-16 seeds are getting better. i don't know why this is still so hard for me to reconcile, but a world where a kid like that goes one and done is still so foreign to me. 

As you know, the NBA drafts on potential.  It is obvious watching Mitchell that he has more potential than 99% of NCAA players.  The kid is a spring and has a great attitude. He COULD be a monster in 3-4 years.  

I think with NIL, the strategy could change for players who are at the back end of the lottery.  If they can stay in college and make $1-2M vs. going to play in the NBA-DL, they might do it.  Plus they get MUCH more exposure in college, which gives them more potential for a bigger marketing deal once they are in the NBA.  Everyone knows who Drew Timme is.  Nobody knows who Ausar Thompson is.