Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

22 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

It's a shame we didn't get more out of Mitchell, but Morris could be really good with some more development. He can score in bunches and is probably the most athletic guard on the roster.

He's gotta learn to drive to the basket at the college level imo. He almost always put up 3s instead of driving. Maybe that's what he was coached to do, but he's too quick to try to take it to the hoop.

I liked his defense this year.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, HookEm said:

As you know, the NBA drafts on potential.  It is obvious watching Mitchell that he has more potential than 99% of NCAA players.  The kid is a spring and has a great attitude. He COULD be a monster in 3-4 years.  

I think with NIL, the strategy could change for players who are at the back end of the lottery.  If they can stay in college and make $1-2M vs. going to play in the NBA-DL, they might do it.  Plus they get MUCH more exposure in college, which gives them more potential for a bigger marketing deal once they are in the NBA.  Everyone knows who Drew Timme is.  Nobody knows who Ausar Thompson is.

I get what you are saying in the first sentence.  Not so sure about the second sentence.

Love watching him play and thinking about his potential, but then I also think he needs to learn how to dribble, pass, catch, shoot and play straight-up man-to-man defense....so that's pretty much the entire game of basketball except jumping.

FWIW - Here are some of the mock draft positions I have seen for Mitchell.  Only 3 / 17 have him going in the 1st round.  Only 7 / 17 have him getting drafted at all.  He should come back for another year.

• #18 - Celtics
  • #20 - Heat
  • #24 - Nets
  • #33 - Pistons
  • #41 - Lakers
  • #47 - Cavs
  • #50 - Thunder
  • Not first round x 3
  • Undrafted x 7
  • Hook 'Em 4

10 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

I get what you are saying in the first sentence.  Not so sure about the second sentence.

Love watching him play and thinking about his potential, but then I also think he needs to learn how to dribble, pass, catch, shoot and play straight-up man-to-man defense....so that's pretty much the entire game of basketball except jumping.

I can see it going either way, but I'm kind of leaning towards Mitchell coming back for more college hoops, hopefully at Texas. He seems pretty far behind where Jaxson Hayes was during his one year at Texas. I'll use per 40 min stats to account for Mitchell seeing less mpg

Hayes   image.thumb.png.1f08a7645b0e537f5b26e096c6cb9359.png

Mitchellimage.thumb.png.2219a32a69c1e50b8061a1405b140bb8.png

And I'd be surprised if Jaxson  sticks in the NBA much longer, as his usage & stats are worse now then when he was a rookie. But at least in college, Hayes showed some flashes of offensive production to go with his athleticism and shot blocking. Mitchell didn't break double digits in scoring a single time once conference play started this year. I think he's too raw for the league, so his choice is making 2nd rd or undrafted free agent money in the G-League vs making NIL money in college. If this was pre-NIL, I wouldn't give the idea of Mitchell returning much consideration....now, we'll see. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, EZ$ said:

I find it strange that none of Beard’s hand-picked staff for his dream job at Texas didn’t follow him (or hasn’t yet). 

He’s also bringing a lot more baggage to this job than he was to Texas.  Heading to your alma mater to put together your dream job staff not far removed from being close to a championship is a bit different than heading to Ole Miss after being fired from your dream job for being arrested for felony domestic assault. Some of those guys may also feel somewhat personally betrayed. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, EZ$ said:

I find it strange that none of Beard’s hand-picked staff for his dream job at Texas didn’t follow him (or hasn’t yet). 

they're all coming off of an exhausting and exhilarating season, still feeling the camaraderie and the melachonly that this team has played its last game, followed by the elation and celebration with their good friend rodney terry being named the HC at Texas. i doubt many of them are rushing to leave Austin for fucking Mississippi at the moment.

• Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, EZ$ said:

It’s early, not that I’m saying staff will leave. You really won’t know that for at least a week or 2 after the final game.

As others said, it’s also the university of Mississippi which should be just enough on name alone to say “no thanks.” But yes, Gerry  alluded to (a month or so ago) that some staff felt betrayed and were happy in Austin.

G: Hunter/TBD Portal/Brumbaugh
G: Morris/TBD Portal/Perryman
G: Johnson/Cunningham/Bott
F: Mitchell/Holland/Clark
F: Disu/TBD Portal/Anamekwe
Who knows who all will come back, but that roster would be very good.  Head to the portal to find replacements for Carr, Rice, and Bishop.  Mitchell, Holland, and Johnson can take Allen’s minutes.  If Brumbaugh is any good then they may only need 1 G from the portal.  If Anamekwe is any good then they may not need a big if everybody else comes back.

We definitely need a interior shot altering decent rebounding big man from the portal … someone who could step in and start if Disu can’t or at least a big body that can give some valuable minutes inside and keep the opponents’ centers from easier shots against smaller defenders
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, VinyVango said:

We definitely need a interior shot altering decent rebounding big man from the portal … someone who could step in and start if Disu can’t or at least a big body that can give some valuable minutes inside and keep the opponents’ centers from easier shots against smaller defenders

Pretty simple roster building checklist for Terry imho:

1. bring back everyone with eligibility including the 2 signees

2. add a big man who can rebound, play defense, and be the focal point of the offense  when matchups present opportunities and Disu is out

3. add a guard who can score the ball, preferably someone ok coming off the bench who makes at least 35% of their 3’s

• Hook 'Em 3

On 3/28/2023 at 8:45 AM, ClubWhatever said:

Does anyone know if Mitchell can shoot?  I'm not sure he took more than 3 shots all year from farther than 10 feet.

Surprisingly,  Gerry says he's a much better shooter than what he showed us this year.  If he comes back and can take a massive jump offensively that would be huge. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/28/2023 at 12:40 PM, Js1 said:

He seems extremely locked in for a year with RT being hired. 

Going to UT and being associated with the university was extremely important to Holland and his family. That's why he was so steadfast when commenting on his commitment after the Beard fiasco. It would've taken a complete disaster of a season for him to decommit. And he more than likely would've just gone on to the G league rather than committing to another school. 

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

It’s early, not that I’m saying staff will leave. You really won’t know that for at least a week or 2 after the final game.

As others said, it’s also the university of Mississippi which should be just enough on name alone to say “no thanks.” But yes, Gerry  alluded to (a month or so ago) that some staff felt betrayed and were happy in Austin.

I believe Beard has already filled out his Ole Miss staff. 

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

Beard has also arleady hired three assistants. I think the only guy that might leave is Reilly, but Terry and Texas can easily make Beard go look somewhere else with the ability to make Reilly the highest paid S&C in college basketball.

22 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Going to UT and being associated with the university was extremely important to Holland and his family. That's why he was so steadfast when commenting on his commitment after the Beard fiasco. It would've taken a complete disaster of a season for him to decommit. And he more than likely would've just gone on to the G league rather than committing to another school. 

Yep. The Texas brand opens a lot more doors, especially with Nike for a high-level basketball recruit. 

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

Also they know they will be moving again in a year or 2 when Beard takes another job.  It's really easy for them to stay in Austin I imagine.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Blotto said:

I can see it going either way, but I'm kind of leaning towards Mitchell coming back for more college hoops, hopefully at Texas. He seems pretty far behind where Jaxson Hayes was during his one year at Texas. I'll use per 40 min stats to account for Mitchell seeing less mpg

Hayes   image.thumb.png.1f08a7645b0e537f5b26e096c6cb9359.png

Mitchellimage.thumb.png.2219a32a69c1e50b8061a1405b140bb8.png

And I'd be surprised if Jaxson  sticks in the NBA much longer, as his usage & stats are worse now then when he was a rookie. But at least in college, Hayes showed some flashes of offensive production to go with his athleticism and shot blocking. Mitchell didn't break double digits in scoring a single time once conference play started this year. I think he's too raw for the league, so his choice is making 2nd rd or undrafted free agent money in the G-League vs making NIL money in college. If this was pre-NIL, I wouldn't give the idea of Mitchell returning much consideration....now, we'll see. 

Yeah, I know Mitchell is an athletic freak but he seems about as big a risk as you can take from a draft perspective. He has almost no game outside of being athletic. 

Morris and Mitchell were the last 2 people in the rotation. Allen, Carr, Rice, and Bishop were all more important to the team than the freshmen. It would be great if they came back for culture and experience reasons but they would both have to increase their production by a large factor for Texas to get back the E8.

• Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Morris and Mitchell were the last 2 people in the rotation. Allen, Carr, Rice, and Bishop were all more important to the team than the freshmen. It would be great if they came back for culture and experience reasons but they would both have to increase their production by a large factor for Texas to get back the E8.

Most people are aware of that and would hope they’d make a normal leap from freshman and sophomore year.  And Terry can rely on them more 

• Hook 'Em 1

I know there was chatter about Morris being unhappy with his playing time/openly talking about transferring - has that been put to rest now that it is likely he will be getting big minutes next year? I'm hoping he and Mitchell can make a big leap in year two - if so, we could be pretty damn good.

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I bet Morris is really good midseason next year. He was already a defensive menace at the end of last season. 

Morris was +5 in the Miami game and frankly should have played more with Carr and Rice banged up. 

Agree.  He nailed two threes in a row.  Not sure why we didn't look for him more.  Lesson learned I hope.

He could log heavy minutes next year.  Hope he stays.

21 hours ago, EZ$ said:

They don't want to have to explain that decision to their wives and girlfriends. Well, the ones that don't hit them, at least. 

Hunter and Morris would be an elite defensive backcourt next year. Likely in the top 5-10 in all of college basketball. This is why I would prefer the USC guard over the Rice guard, but Gerry said we have reached out to the Rice guard. Two days ago the rumor was the Rice guard would coming to Texas if we pushed at all. Both of those guys would be good.

I think Terry now prefers a 3 guard lineup and right now you have Hunter, Morris, Johnson, and Brumbaugh. So adding two more from the portal would be perfect.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/30/2023 at 11:34 AM, Rickylovesweed said:

Yeah, I know Mitchell is an athletic freak but he seems about as big a risk as you can take from a draft perspective. He has almost no game outside of being athletic. 

Dose dunks tho.

18 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

I think Terry now prefers a 3 guard lineup and right now you have Hunter, Morris, Johnson, and Brumbaugh. So adding two more from the portal would be perfect.

And if those 2 are Dixon-Waters and the Rice guard

Salivating Homer Simpson GIF

1 minute ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

I don’t feel like that’s bad.  No announcement of name being in the portal or anything like that.  Test the nba waters, not what he feels it should be, come back. 

Nothing bad about it.  Should be encouraging everyone to get their grade/profile so they can focus on improving next season. 

• Hook 'Em 2