Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

9 hours ago, Pancho said:

People shouldn’t assume the Big12/BigEast matchups were based on records from the previous year. None of you were in the room when they decided who got matched with who for whatever reason.

Sounds like DM is testing the NBA waters, and Texas has told DM he’s got at home at UT for next year if they don’t like what they see in the NBA

Top 6 to me make sense.  Those are the top 6 in both respective leagues. I’m sure they wanted to avoid recent and upcoming rematches

11 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Terry out hire hiring dirty assistants that know how to land recruits/transfers. I’m starting to like the guy. 

that was what got me super duper excited about beard, when he got a couple former top recruiters from larry brown and bill self. you cannot win in college hoops if you refuse to play the game.

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

that was what got me super duper excited about beard, when he got a couple former top recruiters from larry brown and bill self. you cannot win in college hoops if you refuse to play the game.

Yup which is why I wanted Rick Stansbury. This is the same type hire. 

6 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

We’re getting the Barnes band back together!  Terry, Haith and Ogden.  

Good news: I guess we are about to get every Canadian 5 star who goes to a fake prep school just like old times!  And then hopefully Donewald will be the one actually coaching their offense, because I can’t take watching us come full circle back to Rick Barnes basketball again.  It would be a good hire, but still.  The more things change the more they stay the same.

The offense we ran the last 2 months of this season was the best I’ve seen Texas run since at least the 2009 season. Let’s run it back?

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Good news: I guess we are about to get every Canadian 5 star who goes to a fake prep school just like old times!  And then hopefully Donewald will be the one actually coaching their offense, because I can’t take watching us come full circle back to Rick Barnes basketball again.  It would be a good hire, but still.  The more things change the more they stay the same.

Well I mean everything about Barnes was good other than offense. I.e. recruiting and defense. 

Honestly, this sounds pretty good to me. Barnes old staff and then Donewald running the offense. 

56 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

i can't lie- even i saw the frank haith hire and paused. like, are we really doing this? just bringing back everyone from the good times, 15 years-20 years ago? it feels like a safe, comfortable hire with the potential to pay recruiting dividends. but even i can see where this whole thing can go wrong if all we do is what feels the safest and most familiar. 

that said, haith is a legit hire who i believ can do more then just recruit, and he also adds to the meta idea of culture that we're trying to build here. frank haith has already been a big part of a winning culture at Texas. there's no reason he can't do it again. as far as assistant hires go i'd probably give it a B. i'm not blown away by the hire, but it seems to be a move in the right direction. 

Edited by shadow_operative

If Donewald does leave, Haith would be the offensive guy, that said, we should money whip the fuck out of Donewald.

At least the Pat Riley doppelganger is staying. I think once Terry was promoted he was the defensive coach.

Gerry also implied that Haith is going after Abmas.

Edited by HtownHorn

Marquette, UCONN, Indiana, and LSU already on the slate for 2023-24?  Love it.  

I know it's been discussed, but remind me.........what's the hoops conference format for next season being our last in the Big XII?  Still 18 games?  Round-robin with chosen schools or?????

On 4/8/2023 at 11:04 AM, CheesePie said:

Haith’s head coaching resume is head and shoulders above Terry’s fwiw. 

Really?  I'm not trying to crap on Haith, but he hasn't had the best career as a head coach despite being at programs where he should have been able to win big.

• In seven years at Miami, Haith took them to a grand total of one NCAA tourney (winning 1 game). In contrast, after Haith left Jim Larranaga took over and has taken them to a Final Four + an Elite 8s + 2 Sweet 16s.  It's not like Miami is Fresno State.
  • His time at Mizzou was a failure, with NCAA violations ultimately leading to sanctions and an entire year of wins vacated.  And he didn't win a single tourney game there.
  • His time at Tulsa started ok with a couple of 20 win seasons and an NCAA play-in loss.  But each season has been worse with his last one at 11-20.  Good coaches can be successful at Tulsa.  Bill Self made an Elite 8.  Tubby Smith made two Sweet 16s. Nolan Richardson was 119-37.  

All-in Haith was 320-237 (0.561) with one NCAA tourney win and only 4 Tourney appearances in 18 seasons.  At Mizzou, Tulsa and Miami, you should be expected to win a few tourney games.  He barely won more games than Terry did at freaking Fresno and UTEP.

Regardless, I'm glad he is on our staff.  

• Like 1

Good prospect, not sure if he was a good basketball player (yet).

And from what Gerry has said it sounds like Morris’ camp wanted promises to be made about him being able to handle the ball more and do more of the stuff he, uh, wasn’t good at this year.

Edited by Hookem2147

yeah, this sucks. losing mitchell and morris for the year of their highest expected growth is big hurter. Morris has real deal skills and tons of moxie, he just needs a little refinement. he works hard in defense too. this is not good news or addition by subtraction in any way. this hurts the team/program.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

8 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

yeah, this sucks. losing mitchell and morris for the year of their highest expected growth is big hurter. Morris has real deal skills and tons of moxie, he just needs a little refinement. he works hard in defense too. this is not good news or addition by subtraction in any way. this hurts the team/program.

That all depends on who replaces him 

We have no idea who RT will get in the portal to replace him

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

Morris has real deal skills and tons of moxie, he just needs a little refinement. he works hard in defense too. this is not good news or addition by subtraction in any way.

Agree 100%. This is a major loss IMO.  He reminded me a lot of Avery Bradley this year. I think with more reps he is going to be really special.

• Hook 'Em 6

48 minutes ago, BurgleBro said:

Morris was atrocious.  Had a few big 3s in the tourney run but he's completely in over his head. 

Losing Mitchell however would indeed suck. 

Morris was a freshman with a very limited role on a senior laden team. he never even got a chance to get his feet wet. had he been a freshman on a team like the one we're about to field you would have seen him grow and shine. you should have seen him against Arkansas, he was the best player in the court. all of this, "he sucks, who cares" garbage is just that. garbage.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BurgleBro said:

Morris was atrocious.  Had a few big 3s in the tourney run but he's completely in over his head. 

Losing Mitchell however would indeed suck. 

Tom Cruise What GIF

Here comes the most important part of the job - roster management. Gotta keep the talent that we need and fill in the holes from the portal. 

Edited by UTEE97
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Like them or not, Morris and Mitchell were both true freshman who showed signs of promise. The skill jump from freshman to sophomore is usually significant and as thin as we are they both should have contributed heavily in the coming year.

Hopefully the staff does good work getting transfers, it always looks worse at the “losing” part of the portal season. (Abmas please)

Whoever we get, we’re definitely going to need nametags at the beginning of the year.

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

Agree 100%. This is a major loss IMO.  He reminded me a lot of Avery Bradley this year. I think with more reps he is going to be really special.

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

While I agree, if he wasn’t bought in to the program and vision and is listening to his handlers more than the staff, how big of a loss is it? It sounds like he’s choosing not to see the upside. I’m not sure that is beneficial for the team and its goals for next year. 

I’ll also wait to see who we get from the portal.