Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

35 minutes ago, Pancho said:

You aren’t taking a wait and see approach. You are getting defensive about everything, especially if folks don’t agree with you. You openly admitted you only wanted RT because people on message boards were talking shit about him getting the HC position and you felt bad, which is a terrible reason to want a coach. 

Now with Donewald, all of a sudden he’s “flighty” and was salty (no link for that) which isn’t something you would have said about Donewald had he stayed or said about him 3 months ago. 

You may not be the one coming up with labels, but you definitely are very defensive. As I said before, you can be critical about RT and everything that’s happened post-E8 and still want him to succeed and win here. Those things aren’t mutually exclusive. 

No, I've said repeatedly that Rodney won the job but now he needs to fight to keep it.  and I'm not the one tagging people or negging people in this thread? Again, one side is labeling someone as "pro-RT."  The fact that other side comes to gloat when bad news happens, that's a reflection of them.  And yes, I am rooting for Rodney more because he does have obvious haters (dude can't speak well, not organized, accusing Gerry of covering for him).  

Assistants leave all the time?  You don't think Donewald is flighty?  Someone linked his Wiki.  Guy sort of changes jobs quite a bit and Rodney already hired his replacement.  What do you want him to do?

My approach isn't wait and see.  Just because I'm rooting for him, doesn't mean that I'm not willing to cut bait after year 1.  I have to see him fuck up before I lambaste him and losing AJ to the pros isn't fucking up, imo. 

IF Rodney isn't the answer, then we move on.  Pretty simple? 

Edited by closetohumping

11 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I think “ideal” might be overstating things a bit.  But considering we will need like 8 portal players to fill out a roster, I suppose he’s fine to take. 

I think he meant ideal in the sense that he would fit the roster well as a bench big behind Disu/Shedrick if everything fell into place. Not everyone can be a 30 minute a game guy. He apparently was asked to play a lot of the 5 at UTEP due to their roster but was more effective when playing the 4. 

He averaged just over 20 minutes a game at UTEP. Christian Bishop averaged 17.7 minutes for us off the bench this year so it could be an ideal role/fit.

Edited by Hookem2147

6 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

. . . and he didn't make them much better.  Isn't that what an elite coach should do?

I feel like I have to qualify myself over and over, so here goes:  I am not anti-RT.  I am rooting for him.  I am (as always) rooting for the 'horns, whether they're led by Weltlich (oof), Penders, Barnes, Beard, or Terry.  UT is one of my alma maters.  I want Terry to succeed, and so far, his tournament run was really encouraging.

He did make them better. Fresno State has been to 1 NCAA tournament in the past 22 years.

7 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

It's pretty fucking amazing that 7 months before the season even starts we have these guys in here getting their panties in a bunch and spending their days arguing over hypotheticals.

there's nothing hypothetical about losing a slew of coaches and players who we all expected to be a part of the program going forward. this whining you guys are doing over this makes absolutely no sense, and is the very reason people are wondering if hall have personal connections to RT.

what are we, as Texas Basketball supporters (and let's be real, if you're online talking about UT Hoops every day in april you're a hardcore fan) supposed to do as all of this is going down? celebrate? act like it doesn't exist? stick our heads in the sand? why are y'all so intent on villainizing us UT Hoops fans for being upset that things aren't going well? makes absolutely no sense, yet you swear that we're all the crazy ones.

5 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Gerry just confirmed Onyema is who Terry is meeting with today before he heads to Atlanta. Would be the ideal 3rd big with Shedrick and Disu.

I assume Holland will be one of our incoming bigs and that we will have interchangeable 4/5 in a lot of cases.  

5 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I assume Holland will be one of our incoming bigs and that we will have interchangeable 4/5 in a lot of cases.  

I believe it’s been said that Holland is closer to 6’6.5 than his listed height of 6’8. We probably don’t want him playing the 5 but he can definitely play the 4 in some lineups.

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

why are y'all so intent on villainizing us UT Hoops fans for being upset that things aren't going well? 

Because it’s been like 3 weeks since he got the job.

Because the season doesn’t start for another 6+months from now.

Because big time transfers will still be changing teams through the summer. Marcus Carr committed to us in June two years ago.

I don’t know if RT is going to work out or not, but I do know being a pussy about it less than a month in is stupid. 

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Because it’s been like 3 weeks since he got the job.

Because the season doesn’t start for another 6+months from now.

Because big time transfers will still be changing teams through the summer. Marcus Carr committed to us in June two years ago.

I don’t know if RT is going to work out or not, but I do know being a pussy about it less than a month in is stupid. 

being a pussy about it? listen to you all. you sound like petulant children. i guess this is just that time of year where i find myself having to remind people why shaggy/surly were created in the first place. all of this "no criticism at all!" shit is what we were supposed to be getting away from over here. but nope. anyone who is disappointed when things don't go well for this program is just a pussy. that is some ass backwards thinking.

4 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

being a pussy about it? listen to you all. you sound like petulant children. i guess this is just that time of year where i find myself having to remind people why shaggy/surly were created in the first place. all of this "no criticism at all!" shit is what we were supposed to be getting away from over here. but nope. anyone who is disappointed when things don't go well for this program is just a pussy. that is some ass backwards thinking.

So just going to ignore all of the points I made and zero in on the word pussy huh?

Criticize all you want, but people have the right to make counterpoints and pointing out that barely any time has passed at all is a valid one.

If we get to the starting point of the season and the roster looks like a total disaster, then some of the so called “RT defenders”will probably be right there with you.

But 3 weeks is laughably impatient, and more indicative of “petulant childishness” than saying the word pussy.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

So just going to ignore all of the points I made and zero in on the word pussy huh?

Criticize all you want, but people have the right to make counterpoints and pointing out that barely any time has passed at all is a valid one.

If we get to the starting point of the season and the roster looks like a total disaster, then some of the so called “RT defenders”will probably be right there with you.

But 3 weeks is laughably impatient, and more indicative of “petulant childishness” than saying the word pussy.

Why do you feel the need to defend a highly paid coach who may or may not be coaching us 2-3 years from now? He got the formal HC title few weeks ago but he was the head man since Beard was put on leave. I don't understand why anyone needs to defend coaches or highly paid athletes. Criticism comes with the territory. Praise them when they do well and curse them when they don't. They get paid a lot of money for their work! Nobody is criticizing the school we graduated from. 

What are we supposed to be talking about when there are no commits, and we are losing players and a highly touted assistant? Is this Texags where everyone needs to fall in line with the official propaganda?

Edited by UTEE97

3 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Why do you feel the need to defend a highly paid coach who may or may not be coaching us 2-3 years from now? He got the formal HC title few weeks ago but he was the head man since Beard was put on leave. I don't understand why anyone needs to defend coaches or highly paid athletes. Criticism comes with the territory. Praise them when they do well and curse them when they don't. They get paid a lot of money for their work! Nobody is criticizing the school we graduated from. 

I’m not even defending him. If it’s bad when it actually matters (ie. when the season is near), I will be among his harshest critics.

I’m just not grading his test while he’s still taking it. Nothing definitive has happened yet, we have no idea what the roster will be.

35 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

I’m not even defending him. If it’s bad when it actually matters (ie. when the season is near), I will be among his harshest critics.

I’m just not grading his test while he’s still taking it. Nothing definitive has happened yet, we have no idea what the roster will be.

So, we should all cheer or stay quiet when bad things are happening because we don't know what the future holds? Some people make decisions based on what just happened (i.e., feel happy because the team just won a game but don't care that the coach is leaving), but others may want to predict the future based on all the information that's available like what our team will look like in the future. Why one method is worse than other? In everything we do in life requires some level of forecasting. Why this should be different?

Edited by UTEE97
  • Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

so we're just not allowed to react to anything that's happening now because the season isn't until november? that's what you want us to do? that's the big "counter point" that you're making? 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

there's nothing hypothetical about losing a slew of coaches and players who we all expected to be a part of the program going forward. this whining you guys are doing over this makes absolutely no sense, and is the very reason people are wondering if hall have personal connections to RT.

what are we, as Texas Basketball supporters (and let's be real, if you're online talking about UT Hoops every day in april you're a hardcore fan) supposed to do as all of this is going down? celebrate? act like it doesn't exist? stick our heads in the sand? why are y'all so intent on villainizing us UT Hoops fans for being upset that things aren't going well? makes absolutely no sense, yet you swear that we're all the crazy ones.

The fact that you use "us UT Hoops fans" for yourself and anyone who agrees with you says it all. Implying that myself and others are not "real UT Hoops fans."

I'm on this board all the time. I've watch every game since 2005 when I started attending UT. Don't act you're a "real fan" and anyone who dares disagree with you is not. Go fly a kite. Literally and Figuratively.

The bottom line is no one has any idea how the offseason will play out in the end. And you've basically been talking shit about our team since Beard's dumbass choked his girlfriend. Just hoping that you'll be right at some point.

You were wrong all last season. I'll wait until next season to see if your self-important negative nonsense accurately predicts the season. But I know that basically none of the tens of thousands of words you've posted since early December 2022 have come true on the basketball court where it matters so far.

So maybe just shut the fuck up and quit it with the "real UT Hoops fans" bullshit?

Edited by MotownHorn
needed to add more curse words
  • Hook 'Em 2

imagine if everyone who left the program had stayed, and then we signed hunter dickinson and max abmas. would we be allowed to celebrate these events, to be excited about what it means for the future? of course! but when things go poorly, and every day it's, "reilly is leaving, now mitchell is leaving, now aj is going pro, now donewald is leaving, now our transfer targets are committing elsewhere, now our roster is like four guys", we're just a bunch of crazy m, whiny pussies for not being thrilled about that. 

this is classic hornfans bullshit, and there is no place for it here. chastising people for reacting appropriately to the events happening within our program is bullshit; this NO NEGATIVITY ATT ALL attitude is bullshit; your holier than thou attitudes are bullshit; everything you're bringing to this thread is bullshit. keep that shit away from this forum- this forum and its predecessor were created specifically to get away from that nonsense.

19 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

but others may want to predict the future based on all the information that's available. Why one method is worse than other?

Because you don’t actually have all that much information available. At least not with this job, because it’s been 3 weeks.

The reality is people aren’t actually judging Terry for just these 3 weeks, they’re judging his overall resume because they didn’t think he deserved the job in the first place. So we’re just having the same argument that’s been going on all season.  But that argument is over, he did well in the tourney and he’s got the job now. It’s over, he got it.

The need to re-litigate this argument every day something great doesn’t happen is exhausting and pointless. 

6 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

so we're just not allowed to react to anything that's happening now because the season isn't until november? that's what you want us to do? that's the big "counter point" that you're making? 

Is anybody putting a gun to your head and saying you can’t do something? You’re allowed to say what you want, and I’m allowed to call it stupid.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Because you don’t actually have all that much information available. At least not with this job, because it’s been 3 weeks.

The reality is people aren’t actually judging Terry for just these 3 weeks, they’re judging his overall resume because they didn’t think he deserved the job in the first place. So we’re just having the same argument that’s been going on all season.  But that argument is over, he did well in the tourney and he’s got the job now. It’s over, he got it.

The need to re-litigate this argument every day something great doesn’t happen is exhausting and pointless. 

Is anybody putting a gun to your head and saying you can’t do something? You’re allowed to say what you want, and I’m allowed to call it stupid.

it's stupid to be upset when things go poorly? what?? bro you are making zero sense, and this idea that you're superior to everyone who (gasp!) doesn't like it when things go poorly for this program is just wild. people like you never cease to amaze me.

2 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Because you don’t actually have all that much information available.

You can never have all the information until the end. People who are getting defensive have no more information than people who are not happy. Feel free to reserve your judgment until the season's end. That's your prerogative. Not everyone else has to. 

When you don't have a good history, you have to change people's minds with new data. He hasn't earned the right to be trusted to build a winning roster. The burden is not on the fans; rather on the highly paid coach who is in the entertainment business. Once he starts building a championship roster, then we will cheer for him. 

4 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

You can never have all the information until the end. People who are getting defensive have no more information than people who are not happy. Feel free to reserve your judgment until the season's end. That's your prerogative. Not everyone else has to. 

When you don't have a good history, you have to change people's minds with new data. He hasn't earned the right to be trusted to build a winning roster. The burden is not on the fans; rather on the highly paid coach who is in the entertainment business. Once he starts building a championship roster, then we will cheer for him. 

21 years on HF/shaggy/surly and i've learned that some people just straight up do not believe in being critical of any facet of the program, and they all see themselves as superior fans, and look down on us "pussies" who have the temerity to be upset when things don't go well. in their world, you celebrate when things go well, but you do NOT say anything critical or negative about the team/coach/players, no matter what. these people will never change. they will live in their self deluded reality forever. NCAA- No Criticism At All. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

21 years on HF/shaggy/surly and i've learned that some people just straight up do not believe in being critical of any facet of the program, and they all see themselves as superior fans, and look down on us "pussies" who have the temerity to be upset when things don't go well. in their world, you celebrate when things go well, but you do NOT say anything critical or negative about the team/coach/players, no matter what. these people will never change. they will live in their self deluded reality forever. NCAA- No Criticism At All. 

I also never understood why people defend politicians so vigorously. Coaches, celebrities, politicians are not your family and they don't care about you. They make a ton of money off of us. They are the ones who should be sucking up to us! 

46 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Lol exactly. The same ones that make fun of aggy and texags for having their heads in the sand yet are exactly like aggy when they get mad at posters for criticizing anything related to Texas sports.

• Like 1

I would just like some actual discussion about the team. Who are our top 20 portal targets? What are our chances to get them? What about the ‘24 recruits? What kind of offense will Haith run? If Donewald leaves will that open up another spot? If so who might be some targets? What are we hearing about Disu and Hunter? Any updates on our schedule? Do we think Brock can start at the 3? Etc.

I keep hoping to open this thread and see updates. I’ve given up arguing with the RT critics. Time will either prove them right or wrong. Right now criticism seems premature to me, but opinions vary.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I would just like some actual discussion about the team. Who are our top 20 portal targets? What are our chances to get them? What about the ‘24 recruits? What kind of offense will Haith run? If Donewald leaves will that open up another spot? If so who might be some targets? What are we hearing about Disu and Hunter? Any updates on our schedule? Do we think Brock can start at the 3? Etc.

I keep hoping to open this thread and see updates. I’ve given up arguing with the RT critics. Time will either prove them right or wrong. Right now criticism seems premature to me, but opinions vary.

Bigger question I’m wondering is what type of offense does RT run? All we can go off of is what the insiders said we were targeting in the portal that have already committed elsewhere. Who knows if we were every targeting them to begin with. The rice kid, the north Texas guard, etc.. 

Im not wanting RT to fail I’m wanting to win and win big I just don’t think he will based off his past HC tenures. Hope to be fully wrong.