Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

46 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Mitchell cannot shoot the basketball.  Until he can, he’s a 12 minute player. 

Morris is an idiot.  

People like Mitchell don't get developed in college, his game doesn't translate to the college level and will be more developed in the g league or nba where that position/style is more prevalent 

47 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I’m pretty sure both are more highly rated than every player in the final four. 

Let's assume that's true -- it's likely indicative of the new world of college basketball.  Experience counts.  With the transfer portal, it's much easier to build a team with a ton of experience and depth.  Blue chip freshmen, however gifted, can struggle to set themselves apart in that world.

With regards to good news & bad news, I doubt we're done with offseason news at all.  Maybe the next batch will be of the good kind.

16 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Let's assume that's true -- it's likely indicative of the new world of college basketball.  Experience counts.  With the transfer portal, it's much easier to build a team with a ton of experience and depth.  Blue chip freshmen, however gifted, can struggle to set themselves apart in that world.

With regards to good news & bad news, I doubt we're done with offseason news at all.  Maybe the next batch will be of the good kind.

I think every program will have good and bad news.   It’s a new world. Applies to the other sports too.   

this isn’t to give RT a pass on holland.  Bad sign.  But still I don’t want every move to be a referendum and up until holland none of this is surprising 

NIL cannot be an excuse btw. how many of our millionaire former players publicly backed RT, and quite vocally at that? if those guys all demanded that RT be the coach then there's no way we can be losing out on players because of NIL. 

There is a lesson to be learned in that.

Personally, I'm too old for this recruiting shit. It's worse than dating. I'm just here to enjoy the derails and rants.

I'll see what the team looks like on the court before dog cussing RT.

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Texas Flood said:

RT doesn’t play freshman. Morris and Mitchell are bitter and I wouldn’t be surprised if they badmouthed RT to Holland.

It isn’t just a Terry thing. There is enough data points now to suggest that Beard didn’t handle high ranked freshman well either, going back to his days at Tech. Morris played 14 minutes in a blowout of Gonzaga, 11 minutes against Creighton, 16 minutes against Illinois that went to OT. He was a combined 3 of 12 from the field in those 3 games. There was a big difference in his minutes against the Arkansas Pine Bluff’s of the world and teams with a pulse.

And I don’t blame any coach who prioritizes winning over development when playing in a conference like the Big 12. Maybe we need to start focusing more on the high 4-stars who may not have the outrageous ceilings and are ranked 25-75ish in the country and know going into their freshman year that it might take a few years to reach their ceiling. The freshman who have an insane ceiling with a bunch of a raw undeveloped tools don’t seem to be translating right now and it has nothing to do with the coach. 

15 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Personally, I'm too old for this recruiting shit. It's worse than dating. I'm just here to enjoy the derails and rants.

I usually like to give coaches a couple of years

• Rage+1 1

37 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Is the lesson to not prioritize the opinions of millionaire ex-players who are not continuously active to help get and retain the most talented players?

• Like 1

Woke up to a bunch of replies from Derka and I am not reading all that shit.

I’m fine with shit talking on a message board though. It’s what 90% of all message boards are.

As for Morris, he can kick rocks. Carr, Hunter and Rice were all better than him last year. I am not going to get mad at the coaching staff for playing their best players. We don’t make that E8 run without those 3 doing their thing. I wish Morris had patience, he would’ve gotten a ton of minutes this year, but most 5 stars aren’t trying to wait for anything these days.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

What if every team had that strategy?

Teams with more NIL money will execute it more effectively. Perhaps there should be a transfer limit per school unless there is a coaching change. Otherwise I don't see the value in recruiting high school kids any more. 

3 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Teams with more NIL money will execute it more effectively. Perhaps there should be a transfer limit per school unless there is a coaching change. Otherwise I don't see the value in recruiting high school kids any more. 

It’s about finding the sweet spot of taking several high school kids a year who don’t expect to average 15 and 5 their first season and head off to the NBA.

Transfers should always be valued more than HS recruits, but unless you want to go through this cycle every year you better find a few HS guys each year who accept and know their developmental curve.

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

It’s about finding the sweet spot of taking several high school kids a year who don’t expect to average 15 and 5 their first season and head off to the NBA.

Transfers should always be valued more than HS recruits, but unless you want to go through this cycle every year you better find a few HS guys each year who accept and know their developmental curve.

You also want to get kids that aren’t 1 and dones.   

3 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Fans are not going to like Texas passing on big name 5 stars only to recruit lower ranked development prospects. It's going to be interesting to see how this all shapes up.

As with anything in life (a job candidate, a restaurant review, opinions of a sports team, etc) you always will have outliers on both sides. Those who say something is the best ever and those who say something is the worst ever. If you interview an entire roster of a sports team, you can probably find an opinion to fit just about any narrative you want.

Is it Rodney Terry’s fault that he took over a team with a 6’7 freak who had no semblance of an offensive game outside of dunking and was a liability defensively? I don’t think the majority of that lies at the feet of Terry but I’m sure others feel differently. I’m sure Dillon Mitchell felt he should have been playing 30 minutes a game like any 19 year old freshman would, so his twitter likes are about 1837th on my concern list.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Correct. There is a sweet spot between 5 star one and dones and 3-star kids ranked 500th in the country. There are kids ranked 50-100th in the country, damn good players, who aren’t expecting to go to the NBA after next year.

Uconn won the title with several veteran players who were mid to high 4-stars coming out of HS. 

Personally, I have no issue continuing to recruit one and dones but you better balance out classes with 1-2 guys you know will be around for several years.

• Like 2

Is the lesson to not prioritize the opinions of millionaire ex-players who are not continuously active to help get and retain the most talented players?
I would also add..discount all the love current players have for the coach. Realistically, what else are they going to say but how much they love him? And how much he gets them?
  • Hook 'Em 2

The problem with one and dones is that they think they are better than they are and demand playing time, while still doing stupid freshman stuff on the court.

Give me guys in the 50-100 range that want to be here and want to stay here. Half the team should be these guys, so maybe take 2 per year.  The other half should be portal guys with 1-2 years of eligibility left.

Again, losing Holland sucks and I didn’t want to lose him. No revisionist history here. BUT… losing him and picking up a solid Junior or senior transfer will likely result in a better team next year. Even the UTEP big might be a better fit for this team. Give me 25+ minutes of Cunningham at the 3 all day every day. 

Gerry said Texas leads for Weaver. Weaver and Abmas share the same trainer.

Said he thinks Texas leads for the UTEP big (didn’t sound as confident). Vandy can sell much more playing time but his relationship with Terry is obviously strong from when he recruited him out of HS.

We aren’t going to stop recruiting 5 stars out of high school. Y’all need to chill with that shit. Sometimes our fanbase acts so fucking aggy it’s terrible. Holland decommits and this board is up in arms about what’s the point of recruiting 5 stars out of high school and the pay sites are up in arms about the state of college basketball. Neither conversation would ever be had if our two 5 stars never decommitted. There would be nothing but praise. 

What’s happening now is what those folks who didn’t necessarily want to see RT get the job feared and what those RT “apologists” were deep down inside hoping to hell wouldn’t happen and thought the EE run erased. What is that? The negative recruiting against RT based on his past results and the context surrounding this EE run.

It’s pretty clear RT is being negatively recruited against, and they are using RTs past results as head coach to do that combined with whatever Arterio and Dillon have been saying behind the scenes. When you combine that with just the persuasive nature of coaches telling recruits “that wasn’t RTs team, that was Beard’s team” and other shit like that, you can see how they “sell” their programs and not the current Texas program. Muss can sell that it was him who got Arkansas to those EEs and have that tournament success. On the flip side, he can persuade recruits that RT didn’t get that EE because he didn’t build the team, he just kept it together. Can recruits look past that and see a bigger vision RT is selling? Well it seems like the portal guys can…

And keep in mind, it wasn’t just people like TJ, KD, and Lamarcus pushing for RT it was also media folks. After every win, it was nothing but “why doesn’t he have the permanent job yet” and “what else does he have to do??!” So regardless of how you feel about RT, he’s the coach and we gotta roll with it. 

RT has to prove that he can put a team together and build a program himself that can not only make the tournament but be successful before shit like this stops. Make no mistake, this will continue to occur as we go on should next season go souf. RT made the claim at the FF interview that he was the one who helped recruit those players on beard’s team. That probably was a little bit of pride coming out because he wants people to know he can do it, and he should be doing that. With that said, RT has had a mixed bag of results over the last week or so, and he has to figure out what his vision is because that’s the only selling point he has until hardcore results can overcome the negative recruiting Texas/RT is getting. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Gerry said Texas leads for Weaver. Weaver and Abmas share the same trainer.

Said he thinks Texas leads for the UTEP big (didn’t sound as confident). Vandy can sell much more playing time but his relationship with Terry is obviously strong from when he recruited him out of HS.

Anything on Collins or Lawrence 

58 minutes ago, Pancho said:

We aren’t going to stop recruiting 5 stars out of high school. Y’all need to chill with that shit. Sometimes our fanbase acts so fucking aggy it’s terrible. Holland decommits and this board is up in arms about what’s the point of recruiting 5 stars out of high school and the pay sites are up in arms about the state of college basketball. Neither conversation would ever be had if our two 5 stars never decommitted. There would be nothing but praise. 

What’s happening now is what those folks who didn’t necessarily want to see RT get the job feared and what those RT “apologists” were deep down inside hoping to hell wouldn’t happen and thought the EE run erased. What is that? The negative recruiting against RT based on his past results and the context surrounding this EE run.

It’s pretty clear RT is being negatively recruited against, and they are using RTs past results as head coach to do that combined with whatever Arterio and Dillon have been saying behind the scenes. When you combine that with just the persuasive nature of coaches telling recruits “that wasn’t RTs team, that was Beard’s team” and other shit like that, you can see how they “sell” their programs and not the current Texas program. Muss can sell that it was him who got Arkansas to those EEs and have that tournament success. On the flip side, he can persuade recruits that RT didn’t get that EE because he didn’t build the team, he just kept it together. Can recruits look past that and see a bigger vision RT is selling? Well it seems like the portal guys can…

And keep in mind, it wasn’t just people like TJ, KD, and Lamarcus pushing for RT it was also media folks. After every win, it was nothing but “why doesn’t he have the permanent job yet” and “what else does he have to do??!” So regardless of how you feel about RT, he’s the coach and we gotta roll with it. 

RT has to prove that he can put a team together and build a program himself that can not only make the tournament but be successful before shit like this stops. Make no mistake, this will continue to occur as we go on should next season go souf. RT made the claim at the FF interview that he was the one who helped recruit those players on beard’s team. That probably was a little bit of pride coming out because he wants people to know he can do it, and he should be doing that. With that said, RT has had a mixed bag of results over the last week or so, and he has to figure out what his vision is because that’s the only selling point he has until hardcore results can overcome the negative recruiting Texas/RT is getting. 

This is a well thought out and articulate explanation why some of us were not caught up in the RT emotional response engaged in by the media, former players and apparently our administration. 
Morris started talking portal shortly after Beard was suspended. Several connected AAU (including one that bridges AAU and UT) folks were openly talking about it.  What kind of makes me curious is Mitchell. By my observations he was not a locker room cancer nor a malcontent. Something changed. I think the older guys kept the egos in check but they both had some impact on Holland and their Instagram stories clearly show support for his decision.  I don’t speak 19 year old but I took the 🤞🏼from Morris to Holland being the hope he would consider Kansas. 
The whole mess is disappointing. To go from the optimism of Beard to this just sucks.

• Like 1

My main concern with RT getting the job was keeping that recruiting class together. It appears that despite only basing that on the fact he had never built a big time college basketball program as a HC before I was exactly right to be worried about that. Wild. I guess the thing that shocks me is how late this happened. If neither of those dudes wanted to play for RT why didn't they decommit in December? That would have given RT and Texas much more time to replace them. It is almost like Holland and Johnson were intentionally trying to fuck up RT, waiting until just weeks until they were both due to be on campus was a great strategy. But why? Probably some weird shenanigans as this is College Basketball Recruiting after all.

This sucks but I guess keep the transfers coming and for whatever reason we seem to be having some success here.

17 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

I wonder if Beard is behind some of what's happening. Beard probably didn't take RT's claim as the main recruiter too fondly. 

I think Beard probably has better things to do than negative recruit kids that aren't looking at Ole Miss.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

I think Beard probably has better things to do than negative recruit kids that aren't looking at Ole Miss.

Beard also had better things to do than choke and bite his fiancée. You think these people are above normal human behavior? They are not. They can stoop as low as any when their ego is hurt.

Edited by UTEE97
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Beard also had better things to do than choke and bite his fiamce. You think these people are above normal human behavior. They are not. They can stoop as low as any when their ego is hurt.

Didn't you have me on ignore? 

It's not like these kids don't have Beard's phone number.  He wouldn't have to be trying to land them at Ole Miss to take a conversation and poison the well.  I would hope he wouldn't do that to RT, but I would also hope he wouldn't hit a woman.  Life is full of disappointments.

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

19 hours ago, closetohumping said:

If he pulls Lawrence and weaver it may be ok.  Bad or with the loss of holland. No way to spin it

If he pulls both of those guys the ceiling for this team would be higher than last year.

We saw what the Texas program was with Shaka's one and done seasons. Beard preferred portal players over HS 5-stars, since the 3 he signed barely played when he was coaching them.

Give me an experienced player over a 5-star one and done every day.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

My main concern with RT getting the job was keeping that recruiting class together. It appears that despite only basing that on the fact he had never built a big time college basketball program as a HC before I was exactly right to be worried about that. Wild. I guess the thing that shocks me is how late this happened. If neither of those dudes wanted to play for RT why didn't they decommit in December? That would have given RT and Texas much more time to replace them. It is almost like Holland and Johnson were intentionally trying to fuck up RT, waiting until just weeks until they were both due to be on campus was a great strategy. But why? Probably some weird shenanigans as this is College Basketball Recruiting after all.

This sucks but I guess keep the transfers coming and for whatever reason we seem to be having some success here.

He will replace them in the portal, and Texas will have a stronger team because of it. If they had come here and played the role the coaching staff wanted them to play, they would have been great at helping a veteran team try to reach back-to-back E8's. If they wanted to come here and audition for the NBA, Texas would have been a mediocre team just like Baylor and Arkansas were.