Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

Carr was both more efficient scoring wise and had a much better ast/tov ratio coming in to Texas than Love does in his 3 seasons. And then he wasn't very good his first year at Texas. Expecting Love to come in and replicate even 80% of what Carr did last season is ridiculous. Carr was one of the best 25 players in the country in '23.

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Carr was both more efficient scoring wise and had a much better ast/tov ratio coming in to Texas than Love does in his 3 seasons. And then he wasn't very good his first year at Texas. Expecting Love to come in and replicate even 80% of what Carr did last season is ridiculous. Carr was one of the best 25 players in the country in '23.

Nobody is saying Love will replicate what Carr did. 

The point is that arguing a "player is an inefficient scorer" was the exact argument against taking Carr. Also, I don't think Texas needs Carr-like production from Love if Hunter returns with Abmas. 

I can't believe there are actually people against adding a 4th guard (including Weaver) who averaged 18 points a game in a P5 conference last year. It's so low risk and high reward if Love can improve efficiency. If Love doesn't buy into the team ecosystem then he can fuck off and Texas still has 3 very capable guards. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The point is that arguing a "player is an inefficient scorer" was the exact argument against taking Carr.

But Love is more inefficient and outside of his scoring is a worse player. It isn't apples to apples. 

I'm not against potentially adding him to the team but the staff needs to have a plan for implementing his game effectively. 

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

But Love is more inefficient and outside of his scoring is a worse player. It isn't apples to apples. 

I'm not against potentially adding him to the team but the staff needs to have a plan for implementing his game effectively. 

Shock collar when he starts chucking up shots, imo 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I just view it as such a low risk move with the potential of a big reward. Assuming Hunter returns. He's a top 20 transfer according to almost everyone, he's being recruited by multiple tournament teams, and he's still a talented scorer despite his obvious warts.

When you already have 3 capable guards to potentially cover for Love not buying into the team ecosystem this just seems like such a no-brainer. Which other guard out there excites anybody? Maybe Tyrin Lawrence? 

you keep saying "low risk move". i don't know where you get that from. RT basically has three seasons to prove he's at least Rick Barnes's equal as HC at Texas. his roster selection and management will be paramount to his success, and you don't recruit a guy like Love unless you plan on making him a focal point of your offense. i don't think Terry wants to hitch the wagons of his first ever Texas team to a guy who was given every chance to shine at UNC and who has proven himself to be nothing more than an inefficient volume scorer who needs to the ball in his hands, yet who doesn't make anyone around him better. Carr always had the ability to create offense for others, and again, was more polished and well rounded, and again, he struggled his first year here. the odds that Love would hurt us more than help us are even at best. i straight up do not want him on this team.

Edited by shadow_operative

What's the story on Weaver as a ball-handler and facilitator? Is he someone who could run the offense for small stretches or do you want him playing off the ball all the time?

We definitely need a 3rd ball handler if Hunter returns, just not sure the fit is there for a guy like Love considering what we already have. Abmas is basically a far better version of him.

5 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

you keep saying "low risk move". i don't know where you get that from. RT basically has three seasons to prove he's at least Rick Barnes's equal as HC at Texas. his roster selection and management will be paramount to his success, and you don't recruit a guy like Love unless you plan on making him a focal point of your offense. i don't think Terry wants to hitch the wagons of his first ever Texas team to a guy who was given every chance to shine at UNC and who has proven himself to be nothing more than an inefficient volume scorer who needs to the ball in his hands, yet who doesn't make anyone around him better. Carr always had the ability to create offense for others, and again, was more polished and well rounded, and again, he struggled his first year here. the odds that Love would hurt us more than help us are even at best. i straight up do not want him on this team.

In what world do you think Terry is hitching his wagon to Love when there are 3 other guards on the roster? 

Like I said above, Love can buy into the team ecosystem or fuck off because Texas already has 3 guards on the roster. 

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

What's the story on Weaver as a ball-handler and facilitator? Is he someone who could run the offense for small stretches or do you want him playing off the ball all the time?

We definitely need a 3rd ball handler if Hunter returns, just not sure the fit is there for a guy like Love considering what we already have. Abmas is basically a far better version of him.

I don't think we need a 3rd ball handler as much as we need more size at guard. Abmas and Hunter are undersized. 

Which is more reasons I like Love. He's 6'4 and long. 

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

in what world do you think caleb love is transferring somewhere to be a role player???

Come on man. Love knows that Abmas and Hunter are on the roster and that he's not going to be able to be the same type chucker. If he wants to be the "main guy" he won't come to Texas.

• Haha 1

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

Come on man. Love knows that Abmas and Hunter are on the roster and that he's not going to be able to be the same type chucker. If he wants to be the "main guy" he won't come to Texas.

how the fuck are you going to say "come on man" to me and then literally just repeat the exact point i've been making right back at me? lmao, you have lost the plot on this one man. we do not need nor do we want a ball hogging volume shooter.  your infatuation with adding him to this roster is strange.

I don't understand the repeated comparisons to Carr. Like everyone has been saying, Carr was more efficient at Minnesota and had a higher ast/tov ratio. And most importantly, like @longhornmatt stated,  Carr played alongside rubbish in Minnesota while Love played alongside comparable, if not, better talent than what he'll play with here. Love is a no go as far as I'm concerned. Efficiency and smart shot selection was easily the best offensive attribute about last year's team. We're already losing our experience in this area, why bring in a guy who is an absolute 0 in the area we'll be most deficient in relative to last year?

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

chris beard chose jabari rice over keyonte george. anybody here upset with that decision? anybody here think we do better last year with the highly rated scorer (who btw is >>>> caleb love) vs the guy who fit our roster like a glove? yeah, i didn't think so. 

I don't like this comparison at all. Even if George wasn't a volume shooter I would have still liked this move because 6th year players with experience > FR.

Also, please inform me of the guards out there that remind you of the next Jabari Rice? We need a 4th guard. Outside of Tyrin Lawrence (who I would probably take over Love) who are we going to add? 

6 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

chris beard chose jabari rice over keyonte george.

Wut?

George committed to Baylor in August 2021.  Rice committed to us out of the portal in April 2022. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I don't understand the repeated comparisons to Carr. Like everyone has been saying, Carr was more efficient at Minnesota and had a higher ast/tov ratio. And most importantly, like @longhornmatt stated,  Carr played alongside rubbish in Minnesota while Love played alongside comparable, if not, better talent than what he'll play with here. Love is a no go as far as I'm concerned. Efficiency and smart shot selection was the absolute best offensive attribute about last year's team. We're already losing our experience in this area, why bring in a guy who is an absolute 0 in the area we'll be most deficient in relative to last year?

I really don't know why people keep saying this. You do know that Carr had some pretty damn good talent around him at Minnesota right? 

Liam Robbins was great at Vandy this past year, Kalscheur was pretty damn good at ISU, and Greenlee was a good player for FAU who made the final 4. I think Minnesota had more good college players with Carr than Love had at UNC. 

UNC had a pretty shitty roster last year other than Bacot. 

4 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

beard stopped recruiting george be wise he wasn't a fit for beard's team. later on he went and got rice, the type of player that last year's team needed.

I don't think this comparison is good because George would have been a 3rd FR. That likely played a large role in that decision. 

Experience vs inexperience likely played as much a role as fit (i.e. being a shot chucker). 

Carr also transformed himself by losing weight and getting quicker, not to mention playing smarter.  If Love doesn't have that potential upside, what's the point?

I get it, see if you can land him, I don't buy into playing time promises, if he doesn't work out he doesn't work out, but he sure seems to me to be a long shot in this culture.

41 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

beard stopped recruiting george be wise he wasn't a fit for beard's team. later on he went and got rice, the type of player that last year's team needed.

Didn't Beard stop recruiting George to all in on Cason Wallace? Also Beard "chose" Arterio Morris. I would've rather had Keyontae George last year, just saying. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but the only other guards I've seen Texas mentioned with are Tyrin Lawrence and D'Marco Dunn. 

Seems pretty obvious to me that the priority is adding a big guard. Including Love all those guys are 6'3 to 6'5. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

did he? sure, we didn't get wallace (never had a chance), but we ultimately ended up with the guy who was probably the best player possible for that team.

Ultimately, sure. But you presented it as an either/or and it wasn't. And there's also no reason we couldn't have had both.

Maybe do three guards Disu and Shedrick?  Could see that working 

We will see some of that for sure but I think weaver will spell Hunter and abmas and kind be this years rice unless we can’t find a decent wing/sf in the portal

We need at least one more guard who can bring the ball up the court and a decent wing/sf who likes to play D and can hit open 3s at a decent enough rate to keep the opposition from cheating down
  • Hook 'Em 1