Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

Looking at lineups, if we add Caleb Love, the minutes allocation could look something like this:

image.png.8b58966211db1ca307f849a892735ae0.png

How great would it be to always have two of Hunter, Abmas and Love on the court at any given time... and often all three of them.  Then you have a guy like Weaver off the bench who can also play any of the three guard spots.  

Given that Cunningham has played all of the 3, 4 or even 5 spots, I'm not sure we need to add more bigs except for maybe a development project who is content with 10 minutes.  But honestly I would rather give the minutes to Onyema, Disu and Shedrick.  

Even if you get into foul trouble with the bigs, a lineup with Hunter + Abmas + Love + Cunningham + Disu / Shedrick could be very good. 

• Hook 'Em 4

14 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Meh... Perryman averaged 3.5 mpg last year. Figure he will also get about that many mop-up minutes this year.  And he only played in 11 games.

I understand what you are saying, but he averaged 3.5 minutes per game in 11 games played. He played 3 total minutes in conference play as we were dribbling out the clock in blowouts. When we are projecting minutes for this season, it needs to be with the understanding that we are projecting for a conference game against Kansas, not the Chris Beard classic against Arkansas Pine Bluff.

Edited by Hookem2147

49 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Brock jumping from 18 minutes to 22 minutes seems high, but given his experience and what we lost, maybe not.  Thanks for putting that together.

I doubt he plays more than last year; Texas is bringing in talented experienced players with what is likely a new offense with Haith.

2 hours ago, HookEm said:

Looking at lineups, if we add Caleb Love, the minutes allocation could look something like this:

image.png.8b58966211db1ca307f849a892735ae0.png

How great would it be to always have two of Hunter, Abmas and Love on the court at any given time... and often all three of them.  Then you have a guy like Weaver off the bench who can also play any of the three guard spots.  

Given that Cunningham has played all of the 3, 4 or even 5 spots, I'm not sure we need to add more bigs except for maybe a development project who is content with 10 minutes.  But honestly I would rather give the minutes to Onyema, Disu and Shedrick.  

Even if you get into foul trouble with the bigs, a lineup with Hunter + Abmas + Love + Cunningham + Disu / Shedrick could be very good. 

I like this potential squad a whole lot. 5 potential NBA guys with Hunter, Abmas, Love, Disu, and Brock 😉 😘

• Haha 1

I’m not even sure from watching game highlights he was the “primary” ball handler at Rutgers. And with Hunter and abmas here I can’t imagine that was his request. He’s an off the ball guard that can shoot. Makes some great passes too. Since no one knows fully the discussions they have no matter what Gerry reports, I’m curious if our oru suit of Love at the time is what made him back off Texas. That’s why I said circle back if love is out on us.  

7 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I’m not even sure from watching game highlights he was the “primary” ball handler at Rutgers. And with Hunter and abmas here I can’t imagine that was his request. He’s an off the ball guard that can shoot. Makes some great passes too. Since no one knows fully the discussions they have no matter what Gerry reports, I’m curious if our oru suit of Love at the time is what made him back off Texas. That’s why I said circle back if love is out on us.  

He was not the primary ball handler, but he wants to be, was the report. Basically he want's to transfer somewhere to show that he can run an offense for the pros would be my guess. 

22 minutes ago, Mason Ramsey said:

He was not the primary ball handler, but he wants to be, was the report. Basically he want's to transfer somewhere to show that he can run an offense for the pros would be my guess. 

That’s what I’m saying. Reports are not always correct. Which I know is a shock. We already had Hunter back and abmas, on what planet would he think that was gonna happen. I don’t buy that is what he wants. One day they report soencer is seeking NIL money then it’s he wants to be the primary ball handler when he wasn’t at Rutgers. Just saying it sounded fishy. No reason you can’t circle back and have another cup of coffee and chat.

Several people think Arizona is one of the biggest threats for Kaluma. I know they're different players but I would be surprised if Arizona lands both Love and Kaluma (assuming Kaluma doesn't go to the NBA). 

To me, Arizona landing one of those guys likely just helps us with the other guy. 

41 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

That’s what I’m saying. Reports are not always correct. Which I know is a shock. We already had Hunter back and abmas, on what planet would he think that was gonna happen. I don’t buy that is what he wants. One day they report soencer is seeking NIL money then it’s he wants to be the primary ball handler when he wasn’t at Rutgers. Just saying it sounded fishy. No reason you can’t circle back and have another cup of coffee and chat.

There isn’t any reason to doubt the reports at the moment, given how Spencer’s recruitment never went further than a zoom call.

And NIL and being a primary ball handler aren’t mutually exclusive, he can try to get both somewhere.

If the staff thinks he’s still a possibility, I’m sure they will still try to go after him, they aren’t stupid. But if they don’t, that probably gives you your answer on where they think they stand.

Torres is an idiot sometimes but I do agree with his rankings here and to me I think Texas has always been waiting for Kaluma or Phillips. They're the best 2 players out of the group and to me we need a long wing more than another guard. 

https://www.aarontorresonline.com/post/the-10-best-players-remaining-in-the-college-basketball-transfer-portal-grad-transfer-edition

2 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

You don’t buy that’s what he wants because he’s leaving a place where he wasn’t and currently isn’t coming here where he also wouldn’t be the primary? Interdasting. I’m not saying that’s the actual reason but those two factors seem to only support it. 

Edited by Hank_Hill

Well this is interesting…. (regarding Dillon Mitchell)

The Texas 6-foot-8 forward has until May 31 at 11:59 p.m. eastern time to decide whether he will stay in the NBA Draft or not. 

There has been continued communication with the Texas staff in the last few days. 

Inside Texas feels like there is a chance Mitchell could decide to return.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 3

i would love for him to return, but i can't possibly believe it until i see it. when he declared he said he had no plans to return, nothing he's done or said since then goes away from that, and every video i watch if him he seems to be very excited about going pro, with zero hint of him actually considering a return. still, if he miraculously does decide to come back then it wouldn't surprise me to see him make a big leap from year one to year two. definitely more aggression and more scoring, including some sort of face up game. he actually did shoot the ball in HS, but we didn't need that from him last year. seeing a KJ Adams-esque jump offensively wouldn't surprise me at all. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/17/2023 at 6:51 PM, shadow_operative said:

the young man himself is the one who said he had no intentions of coming back. it's only been posted about 10x now. also, he just said that he still doesn't plan to return, so just a dynamite all around post. 

On 5/17/2023 at 8:48 PM, shadow_operative said:

you're so fucking argumentative and you have zero clue what you're talking about. the receipts have been posted here multiple times. gerry himself has said from jump street that the only reason mitchell is maintaining eligibility is in case of an injury during the pre draft process, and that he does not intend to return to Texas. today he reiterated that he is "definitely leaning towards staying in the draft", and you're in here picking fights with me over that because somehow to you that makes it sound like he might return. you're a fucking idiot.

On 5/17/2023 at 10:39 PM, shadow_operative said:

he's not expected to return because the only reason he will return is if he gets hurt. HELLO. 

On 5/17/2023 at 10:42 PM, shadow_operative said:

i was going to say that nobody can possibly be this dense, but then again you think that motown is in west virginia. hey idiot- he's publicly telling Texas fans that the door is still open, while privately telling people that he has no intentions of returning to Texas barring injury. this has been reported on for over a month now. i'm not going back and forth with your stupid ass over this anymore. you are completely clueless yet intent on arguing. go take a fucking walk.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Well this is interesting…. (regarding Dillon Mitchell)

The Texas 6-foot-8 forward has until May 31 at 11:59 p.m. eastern time to decide whether he will stay in the NBA Draft or not. 

There has been continued communication with the Texas staff in the last few days. 

Inside Texas feels like there is a chance Mitchell could decide to return.

Not shocking at all. He didn't perform well in the combine scrimmages and I bet his value is mid 2nd round to undrafted. 

Somebody got in his ear and gave him some reality. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

I tried to have a productive discussion about Mitchell coming back 2 weeks ago. That’s what I got in response 

you quoted me ad nauseam me saying, "you don't know shit derka" and "you're just making shit up in your head derka" "sounds like a fantasy derka, lolololol!" over and over and over. now you're quoting all my old responses to those posts, not to further the discussion, but to create an argument. and yet you continue to describe this as you "trying to have a productive discussion". get real. you're either completely delusional, or you know what you're doing and think it's fun. either way it's disingenuous BS.

Edited by shadow_operative

4 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:
7 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:
Not shocking at all. He didn't perform well in the combine scrimmages and I bet his value is mid 2nd round to undrafted. 

Didn't he throw some salt on us with regards to the recruits we lost?

Yeah, but what option does he have now? He didn't enter the portal. 

If people are telling him to return because his NBA draft value is shit he doesn't have any options. If anything, Texas now has leverage. I wouldn't give him much NIL money if it diverts from other transfers. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

6 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:
8 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Didn't he throw some salt on us with regards to the recruits we lost?

he celebrated arterio transferring to kansas more than he celebrated texas going to the elite 8. it was pretty wild. never seen anything like it.

• Like 1

If people are telling him to return because his NBA draft value is shit he doesn't have any options. If anything, Texas now has leverage. I wouldn't give him much NIL money if it diverts from other transfers. 
I wouldn't take him back. You can't bad mouth the team/coach and then pretend like everything is okay. How is that going to look to the guys who stayed?

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

he celebrated arterio transferring to kansas more than he celebrated texas going to the elite 8. it was pretty wild. never seen anything like it.

Mitchell was upset about how Texas used him.

Maybe after getting feedback from the NBA he realizes that Texas didn't misuse him and he simply wasn't good enough to get major minutes. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

I tried to have a productive discussion about Mitchell coming back 2 weeks ago. That’s what I got in response 

Yeah no shit. We have all read all of those quotes over the last month. No need to dredge them up to read them again.  All you did was ensure more slap fights instead of actual productive conversation.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

you quoted me ad nauseam me saying, "you don't know shit derka" and "you're just making shit up in your head derka" "sounds like a fantasy derka, lolololol!" over and over and over. now you're quoting all my old responses to those posts, not to further the discussion, but to create an argument. and yet you continue to describe this as you "trying to have a productive discussion". get real. you're either completely delusional, or you know what you're doing and think it's fun. either way it's disingenuous BS.

1) That was in regard to your Texas Exes should put up a bunch of money for NIL idea, not Mitchell

2) with regard to the NIL idea I asked a number of neutral polite questions, took the abuse you threw my way in response, and then finally concluded that it was not a thing that actually happened at Texas or anywhere else, but rather something you wanted to happen 

3 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:
9 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I wouldn't take him back. You can't bad mouth the team/coach and then pretend like everything is okay. How is that going to look to the guys who stayed?

I think it depends on if you can land Kaluma or Phillips. They're better players (although slightly different from a positional perspective). 

I wouldn't mind Mitchell back if you can't land either of those guys and you can get Mitchell back for cheap. But yeah, I prefer Kaluma big time over Mitchell. If you think Kaluma is on the table I say you tell Mitchell "no thanks." 

• Like 1

Mitchell was upset about how Texas used him.
Maybe after getting feedback from the NBA he realizes that Texas didn't misuse him and he simply wasn't good enough to get major minutes. 
Either way, he shouldn't be welcomed back with open arms if he was talking shit about us. Why would you even want him back in your locker room? If he did it once, he'll do it again.

motown you're just doing a brilliant job of proving that it's me who starts shit with you and not the other way around. i mean this is your literal response to hayden coming to this board two hours ago to ask people to stop going after each other. your move is to dig up a bunch of posts from weeks ago and start shit over them. amazing. 

Edited by shadow_operative

11 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Mid 2nd round is probably being generous. I don’t see him getting drafted. 

A couple of weeks ago, Mitchell started softening his language around Texas. Someone definitely got a hold of him and hit him with the reality that he might need to come back.

It’s pretty shocking the kid didn’t just enter the portal when he declared for the draft to keep his options open.

• Hook 'Em 2