Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

Morning Brew: Seven-time NBA All-Star LaMarcus Aldridge looking to join Rodney Terry's staff

Chip Brown

Spoiler

Morning Brew: Seven-time NBA All-Star LaMarcus Aldridge looking to join Rodney Terry's staff

Chip Brown

— Former Longhorn basketball star LaMarcus Aldridge, a seven-time NBA All-Star, has talked to Rodney Terry about joining the staff as a special assistant, a source close to the situation told Horns247.

“He has talked to us about wanting to coach,” the source told Horns247.

Another source said Aldridge will definitely be involved with the Texas basketball program during the upcoming year.

Aldridge attended Terry’s introductory press conference when Terry was named the head coach at Texas after leading the Longhorns to the Elite Eight this past season. Terry served as the team’s interim coach after Beard was dismissed in December.

“RT’s my guy,” Aldridge said of Terry at the press conference.

Aldridge was recruited to Texas by Terry, who was an assistant to Rick Barnes at the time.

Aldridge, a Seagoville product, played at Texas from 2004-06, helping the team reach the Elite Eight in his final season, losing to LSU in overtime for a berth in the Final Four.

Aldridge was the second overall pick in the 2006 NBA Draft by the Chicago Bulls and then had his rights traded to the Portland Trailblazers for their draft pick - LSU’s Tyrus Thomas - and Viktor Khryapa.

Aldridge spent nine seasons in Portland and was named an NBA All-Star five times before moving to San Antonio for six seasons and being named to two more NBA All-Star teams.

Aldridge spent 17 seasons in the NBA and averaged 19.1 points and 8.1 rebounds.

• Hook 'Em 7

23 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

I have no idea if Aldridge has coaching chops, but I love seeing a former Horn with his NBA résumé being involved at some level.  It's also a great way for Aldridge to stay active in the game. 

Very high IQ player that never had any off the court issues or issues with teammates. I can't imagine he wouldn't be a huge asset on staff - if only for recruiting purposes. 

• Hook 'Em 4

10 hours ago, Getafix said:

Chip Brown

Hide contents

Chip Brown

— Former Longhorn basketball star LaMarcus Aldridge, a seven-time NBA All-Star, has talked to Rodney Terry about joining the staff as a special assistant, a source close to the situation told Horns247.

“He has talked to us about wanting to coach,” the source told Horns247.

Another source said Aldridge will definitely be involved with the Texas basketball program during the upcoming year.

Aldridge attended Terry’s introductory press conference when Terry was named the head coach at Texas after leading the Longhorns to the Elite Eight this past season. Terry served as the team’s interim coach after Beard was dismissed in December.

“RT’s my guy,” Aldridge said of Terry at the press conference.

Aldridge was recruited to Texas by Terry, who was an assistant to Rick Barnes at the time.

Aldridge, a Seagoville product, played at Texas from 2004-06, helping the team reach the Elite Eight in his final season, losing to LSU in overtime for a berth in the Final Four.

Aldridge was the second overall pick in the 2006 NBA Draft by the Chicago Bulls and then had his rights traded to the Portland Trailblazers for their draft pick - LSU’s Tyrus Thomas - and Viktor Khryapa.

Aldridge spent nine seasons in Portland and was named an NBA All-Star five times before moving to San Antonio for six seasons and being named to two more NBA All-Star teams.

Aldridge spent 17 seasons in the NBA and averaged 19.1 points and 8.1 rebounds.

I forgot what a horrible trade that was. It does not make-up for passing on KD, but Portland definitely got the best of Chicago in that one.

Edited by Rockwell Torrey

11 hours ago, ztejas said:

Very high IQ player that never had any off the court issues or issues with teammates. I can't imagine he wouldn't be a huge asset on staff - if only for recruiting purposes. 

He's a guy you let the bigs practice against to get better on both sides of the court. Aldridge made himself into a really good player by remaking his shot after his freshmen season injury.

6 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i want to say that LA is already a graduate of UT.

edit: can't find anything to confirm that, so probably not.

also, from 2016:

IMG_4095.thumb.jpeg.4cc5fd24fc038b1957706bcf7ec374a6.jpeg

quietly great production for LA.

Probably conflating him with PJ. 

And yeah - he had a really nice career. 20k usually gets you in the Hall but I do think he's borderline.

Bref HoF algorithm has him at 50.9% 🙁

I maintain that Texas should retire his #. Him coming back to give more to the program despite being set for life and not having to should make that a non-discussion, honestly. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, ztejas said:

And apparently he never dated a Kardashian. 

I like Aldridge, but I guess I'm a stickler in wanting the player to have been AWESOME when actually at Texas.  I like the bar to jersey retirement being National Player of the Year.  I MIGHT make an exception if they were 1st team All-American, the undisputed team leader, and led the team to a National Title.

some highlights from seth davis's latest preseason top 25:

1)Kansas

5)Marquette

8)A&M

10) Texas-

"The Longhorns got welcome news Wednesday when 6-10 sophomore forward Dillon Mitchellwithdrew from the draft. Mitchell had been invited to the predraft combine and was being projected on some draft boards as a first-round pick. That capped a topsy-turvy spring that saw the Longhorns lose their two prized incoming freshmen, Ron Holland (G League Ignite) and A.J. Johnson (NBL), as well as a promising sophomore guard Arterio Morris, who transferred to Kansas. Rodney Terry made up for that by adding several players from the transfer portal, most notably Max Abmas, the uber-scoring guard from Oral Roberts. Starting point guard Tyrese Hunter, a 6-0 junior, also withdrew from the draft and returned to school."

11)U of H

16)Tennessee 

22)Baylor 

25)Kentucky LOL

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, txhorns said:

Seems like he would be a great 4th guard who gets 10 minutes a game this year with a chance to become a main contributor next year.

I agree completely but isn't that also why he opted out at Kansas? 

I think it's a really good fit on our side but seems weird from his perspective after opting out at Kansas due to all the transfers they added.