Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

Yeah man that's why the defending national champions want him. 

we've got abmas and hunter starting in our backcourt. why on earth would we want our third guard to be a volume shooting chucker who takes 15 shots a game at terrible percentages?

IMG_2472.thumb.jpeg.91a03835cb36ea20a9cd7516ce81ec8a.jpeg

seriously- aside from claiming that he's the next marcus carr and naming the schools that are after him, explain toe why we should want him, what his role would be, and what impact he would have. i've made my position clear,  ow i want to hear yours.

I mean, if he wants to be 2021-2022 Caleb Love and shoot 36% from 3 I won't complain.

UNC was a disaster last year. I don't really have a strong opinion on Love. I don't think it's the cleanest fit but I don't think he is as bad as he was this past year. The main thing is him knowing what his role would be on this team and accepting it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Comparing Abmas and Hunter to Love is just dumb. They're completely different players.

and where did anybody here do that? 

again, please answer the question(s)- why do you think he's a good fit, what role do you see him having, what kind of impact do you think he'd have. so far you've given us, "we need a big guard, and he's 6'4"." ok, and? what else?

5 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Comparing Abmas and Hunter to Love is just dumb. They're completely different players. 

For one, we need a bigger guard and Love is 6'4 and offers much more size than the other 2. Also, Love is a substantially better athlete than both and can do other things on the wing. 

Love would allow us to run a 3 guard lineup with Disu and Shedrick....especially if we don't get a legit 3

8 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

we've got abmas and hunter starting in our backcourt. why on earth would we want our third guard to be a volume shooting chucker who takes 15 shots a game at terrible percentages?

IMG_2472.thumb.jpeg.91a03835cb36ea20a9cd7516ce81ec8a.jpeg

seriously- aside from claiming that he's the next marcus carr and naming the schools that are after him, explain toe why we should want him, what his role would be, and what impact he would have. i've made my position clear,  ow i want to hear yours.

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

again, please answer the question(s)- why do you think he's a good fit, what role do you see him having, what kind of impact do you think he'd have. so far you've given us, "we need a big guard, and he's 6'4"." ok, and? what else?

You didn't compare but you used them as reasons why, tomato/tomato 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Did you not read anything I wrote? I said we need a big guard and more specifically a player with positional flexibility to play the 3/wing. Love has that because 1) he has size and 2) he has the athleticism. 

Jesus, did you not read anything I wrote? 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

10 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Love would allow us to run a 3 guard lineup with Disu and Shedrick....especially if we don't get a legit 3

You didn't compare but you used them as reasons why, tomato/tomato 

LOL what? 

19 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

where in there do you see me comparing those players?

12 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Did you not read anything I wrote? I said we need a big guard and more specifically a player with positional flexibility to play the 3/wing. Love has that because 1) he has size and 2) he has the athleticism. 

Jesus, did you not read anything I wrote? 

yes, i have heard you say that he's tall and athletic. my mate dave is tall and athletic too, should we recruit him? is that all that's required? being 6'4" and athletic? because that's all you've said about why he fits this roster.

Edited by shadow_operative

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

yes, i have heard you say that he's tall and athletic. my mate dave is tall and athletic too, should we recruit him? is that all that's required? being 6'4" and athletic? because that's all you've said about why he fits this roster.

I really don't know why you are making this complicated. We need a 3/wing. Love has positional flexibility to play that position. 

How else do you want me to articulate fit? Are you just trying to be dumb? 

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

I really don't know why you are making this complicated. We need a 3/wing. Love has positional flexibility to play that position. 

How else do you want me to articulate fit? Are you just trying to be dumb? 

you are championing caleb love so, so hard, and you literally refuse to answer the most simple questions about why you think he's a good fit for this team basketball wise. you just keep on repeating that he's 6'4". i'm starting to think that you've never actually seen him play. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

you are championing caleb love so, so hard, and you literally refuse to answer the most simple questions about why you think he's a good fit for this team basketball wise. you just keep on repeating that he's 6'4". i'm starting to think that you've never actually seen him play. 

Yeah enjoy being stuck with Brock Cunningham getting major minutes.

5 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

I've answered it multiple times. 

1) We need a wing/big guard. That's Love because of his size/athleticism. 

2) He can score--although inefficiently. Still scorers are difficult to find in college basketball.

3) He has handles which = positional flexibility so he can spell the other 2 guards. 

I really don't know what more you want me to say. But hey, this is the same guy that thinks he knows more than the defending national champions. 

3 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I've answered it multiple times. 

1) We need a wing/big guard. That's Love because of his size/athleticism. 

2) He can score--although inefficiently. Still scorers are difficult to find in college basketball.

3) He has handles which = positional flexibility so he can spell the other 2 guards. 

I really don't know what more you want me to say. But hey, this is the same guy that thinks he knows more than the defending national champions. 

Rick Barnes didn't offer - Derka

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Yes he is. He's 4 inches taller and can jump out of the gym. 

I don't think people have watched Love. The guy is a freak just an inefficient freak. It's why Love was the #7 recruit in his class. 

What does being taller have to do with being an athlete? I just watched Love highlights. Tyrese is faster with the ball and has a similar vertical. He also elevates better around the rim and has better body control. If Love was a substantially better athlete than Tyrese Hunter he would have been drafted already. 

You're just making shit up about this guy at this point. 

Just now, Js1 said:

Did someone say a big guard who can score?

He's a little pigment inefficient, do not want! 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

What does being taller have to do with being an athlete? I just watched Love highlights. Tyrese is faster with the ball and has a similar vertical. He also elevates better around the rim and has better body control. If Love was a substantially better athlete than Tyrese Hunter he would have been drafted already. 

When you're on the derka side of an argument, that's not a good place to be lol

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I view athleticism in today's game as positional flexibility. Hunter can play the 1 and maybe the 2 but even at the 2 he's way undersized. 

Love can easily play 1-3 because of his quickness and size. Read any reference to "athleticism" at the NBA level and it's almost always in the context of positional flexibility and ability to play multiple positions. 

These guys aren't comparable athletes. Again, it's why Love was a top 10 recruit and 5 star coming out of high school while Hunter was a 4 star. The recruiting services almost always prioritize the better athletes that have athletic traits which project to the next level. 

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

When you're on the derka side of an argument, that's not a good place to be lol

I literally just disagreed with Derka upthread. Meanwhile I've never seen you make an insightful basketball take on this board. You think Brock Cunningham sucks. 

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Hunter also turns the ball over a fuck ton when driving to the rim because he needs to get stronger.

18 minutes ago, ztejas said:

If Love was a substantially better athlete than Tyrese Hunter he would have been drafted already. 

Also, this is just wrong. If athleticism was the only criteria teams drafted based on then Dillon Mitchell would be drafted high. 

Love's problem, in the context of the NBA, isn't athleticism it's that he's been an inefficient player. 

18 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I view athleticism in today's game as positional flexibility. Hunter can play the 1 and maybe the 2 but even at the 2 he's way undersized. 

Love can easily play 1-3 because of his quickness and size. Read any reference to "athleticism" at the NBA level and it's almost always in the context of positional flexibility and ability to play multiple positions. 

These guys aren't comparable athletes. Again, it's why Love was a top 10 recruit and 5 star coming out of high school while Hunter was a 4 star. The recruiting services almost always prioritize the better athletes that have athletic traits which project to the next level. 

I view athleticism as athleticism. Not whatever cockamamie way you define it that allows you to claim Caleb Love is a substantially better athlete than Tyrese.

7 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Also, this is just wrong. If athleticism was the only criteria teams drafted based on then Dillon Mitchell would be drafted high. 

Love's problem, in the context of the NBA, isn't athleticism it's that he's been an inefficient player. 

Hunter just tested the draft waters at 19 years old because he's an elite athlete. If Caleb Love was substantially better than that - i.e. Ja Morant or Jaden Ivey level athletic - then yes, someone would have taken a flier on him already. 

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I view athleticism as athleticism. Not whatever cockamamie way you define it that allows you to claim Caleb Love is a substantially better athlete than Tyrese.

You can define it however you want but Hunter can't do this type stuff. Hunter is a small guard that has quickness. Love is quick, strong, and can jump out of the gym at 6'4. These guys aren't comparable athletes. 

Spencer seems like a guy that would be the much better fit. Texas and Spencer are interested.

Adding Spencer would mean the 4 guards for Texas last year

• 280 made 3's
  • 365 made FT's
  • combined 38.2% BTA
  • combined 84.3% FT

Damn.

Edited by HtownHorn

19 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

You can define it however you want but Hunter can't do this type stuff. Hunter is a small guard that has quickness. Love is quick, strong, and can jump out of the gym at 6'4. These guys aren't comparable athletes. 

lol hunter absolutely can and has done that type of stuff his entire college career. his vertical has been measured at 44". the only time he wasn't doing stuff like that was when he was recovering from injury. otherwise he's known as a high flying guard. now i'm starting to question if you've even watched tyrese hunter play. 

• Hook 'Em 1

It's just going to be another insane year in the Big 12. Texas, Houston, Kansas, and Baylor might all be top 15 teams. 

I think Houston is losing a lot … maybe even their coach … so I’m expecting a drop with the elevation in schedule difficulty the big 12 brings

31 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

lol hunter absolutely can and has done that type of stuff his entire college career. his vertical has been measured at 44". the only time he wasn't doing stuff like that was when he was recovering from injury. otherwise he's known as a high flying guard. now i'm starting to question if you've even watched tyrese hunter play. 

As htownhorn said above Hunter's issue is strength. Maybe that clip wasn't a perfect example but Love can put his shoulder down and get to the rim with strength. 

I've seen only a couple dunks from Hunter that didn't occur in transition. Let me put it this way. Do you think Hunter has the athleticism to take on 6'3 to 6'5 guards and consistently get to the rim? I've seen very little of it. 

Hunter struggled big time against teams like Oklahoma State this year that would put bigger guards on him (like Avery Anderson and Bryce Thompson) and just out physical him from getting to the rim. Maybe it was injury related. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

5 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

tyrese can't dunk on someone.

The point isn't that Hunter can't dunk. It's that he can't use his physicality to get to the rim.

Go watch the Oklahoma State games this year with bigger guards on Hunter (I.e. Avery Anderson and Bryce Thompson). They had Hunter in hell because they were too big/strong. Hunter was forced to live on the perimeter because he couldn't get to the rim. 

There are plenty of dunks you can find of Hunter. Now I will admit maybe injuries played a role in bigger guards bullying Hunter this past season. 

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Did he say which player Texas is prioritizing out of those 3? I'm sure it would be Kaluma if they had any assurance he wasn't staying in the draft. 

Nope. Just listed those 3 along with the kid from Tennessee, who apparently blew up at the combine and is likely to get a 2nd round promise.

Just reading his updates today, I think personally from him it would go Spencer, Kaluma, and Love.

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Nope. Just listed those 3 along with the kid from Tennessee, who apparently blew up at the combine and is likely to get a 2nd round promise.

Just reading his updates today, I think personally from him it would go Spencer, Kaluma, and Love.

Yeah, I think that's likely the hold up. Phillips and Kaluma are by far the 2 best players out of the group. 

They're waiting to see what those two do in the draft. If they believe they have a shot at either Phillips or Kaluma they're going to wait on 1 of those. 

28 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Yeah, I think that's likely the hold up. Phillips and Kaluma are by far the 2 best players out of the group. 

They're waiting to see what those two do in the draft. If they believe they have a shot at either Phillips or Kaluma they're going to wait on 1 of those. 

He likes the Kaluma fit the least.

Spoiler

It's very interesting ...

Cam Spencer:
Would make Texas best shooting team in the history in Austin. 6-4 guards that have played four years of CBK that shot 43% from three in the Big 10, and 90% from the free throw line. He is so good in the half court. Plays without the ball so well. Would continue to help open up the floor. Undervalued passer, sneaks hands on defense, rebounds well enough.

Caleb Love:
Texas would be ultra athletic and versatile in the backcourt. Hunter, Love and Abmas would scare the poo out of everyone. Weaver off the bench will play above where people think. Three very athletic guards, and one hellacious shooter in Abmas. All will make free throws. Texas could play really fast when they want to with Love, Hunter, Weaver and Abmas. Faster than last season IMO.

Spoiler

I would take two guards with size over Kaluma, but that just me. Give me more shooting and spacing. Play three guards at all times, and even have the ability to go small with four for a short stretch.

The thought of a small ball lineup of Hunter, Abmas, Spencer, Brock and Disu is scary... would be a 40% level three-point small ball lineup.

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

A lot of you are underrating how good Brock is going to be next season. Probably because he's an awkward white guy. He's going to be one of the best two-way players in the B12 - potentially coming off the bench. 

Agreed 100%

Personally I think there's a chance that Brock has a longer and more successful NBA career than Dillon Mitchell

9 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

He likes the Kaluma fit the least.

Reveal hidden contents

It's very interesting ...

Cam Spencer:
Would make Texas best shooting team in the history in Austin. 6-4 guards that have played four years of CBK that shot 43% from three in the Big 10, and 90% from the free throw line. He is so good in the half court. Plays without the ball so well. Would continue to help open up the floor. Undervalued passer, sneaks hands on defense, rebounds well enough.

Caleb Love:
Texas would be ultra athletic and versatile in the backcourt. Hunter, Love and Abmas would scare the poo out of everyone. Weaver off the bench will play above where people think. Three very athletic guards, and one hellacious shooter in Abmas. All will make free throws. Texas could play really fast when they want to with Love, Hunter, Weaver and Abmas. Faster than last season IMO.

Reveal hidden contents

I would take two guards with size over Kaluma, but that just me. Give me more shooting and spacing. Play three guards at all times, and even have the ability to go small with four for a short stretch.

The thought of a small ball lineup of Hunter, Abmas, Spencer, Brock and Disu is scary... would be a 40% level three-point small ball lineup.

The issue with Kaluma is he's more of a stretch 4 but I'm pretty sure Creighton also played him at the 3. 

But he's really good. I personally think he's the best player out of the group but I could see why there might be a fit issue if Gerry doesn't think he's a 3/true wing. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The issue with Kaluma is he's more of a stretch 4 but I'm pretty sure Creighton also played him at the 3. 

But he's really good. I personally think he's the best player out of the group but I could see why there might be a fit issue if Jerry doesn't think he's a 3/true wing. 

I don't think he's a 3/wing. I like him as a stretch 4 in college. I just don't see the fit with Shedrick, Disu, Onyema, and Cunningham playing the 4/5 minutes. I'd rather roll out with 3 guards at all times. Our most explosive offense last year was with Hunter, Carr, and Rice on the floor together.