Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

21 hours ago, HookEm said:

Fair.  We also took 2 out of 3 games from them (in beat down fashion) and kept them from getting the Kansas City regional, which likely cost them a Final Four.

let's not go full Aggie here...

http://cbbref.com/tiny/LeuW7

since 1949-1950, Texas is 13-34 against Kansas.

they played once in the 60s so let's bump it back to the start of the B12, and Texas is 13-33 against them. 5-5 in the last 10 games and 3-2 in the last 5 games which is great but the series is so far from shit talk-able that it isn't even funny.

since the start of the Big 12, Texas has played 47 games against Kansas and Kansas has been ranked in every single game. for 33 of the 47 games they have been in the top 10. Texas has been ranked slightly more times (26) than they have been un ranked (21.) an unranked Texas has beaten a ranked Kansas exactly one time ever, in 2019.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, NoName said:

let's not go full Aggie here...

http://cbbref.com/tiny/LeuW7

since 1949-1950, Texas is 13-34 against Kansas.

they played once in the 60s so let's bump it back to the start of the B12, and Texas is 13-33 against them. 5-5 in the last 10 games and 3-2 in the last 5 games which is great but the series is so far from shit talk-able that it isn't even funny.

since the start of the Big 12, Texas has played 47 games against Kansas and Kansas has been ranked in every single game. for 33 of the 47 games they have been in the top 10. Texas has been ranked slightly more times (26) than they have been un ranked (21.) an unranked Texas has beaten a ranked Kansas exactly one time ever, in 2019.

I have no idea how the history of the rivalry is relevant to a comment about our head to head record last year, but go off autist! 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I have no idea how the history of the rivalry is relevant to a comment about our head to head record last year, but go off autist! 

i'm glad Texas did win both of those games, but shit talking at all in that "rivalry" is as dumb as A&M shit talking Texas about the football rivalry. in fact, it's worse because A&M has a better winning% than Texas does.

glad they won them and good for the program but that doesn't make it less dumb.

Wait. We can't talk shit after beating the stink off of Kansas last year because we don't have the all-time wins advantage? Someone tell that to about 50 different football programs over the better part of the last 30 or so years. Including that one we play at the state fair every year. "Good game Longhorns. We would certainly enjoy talking shit regarding our 63-14 victory, but, alas, you have the all-time advantage in the series."

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Just now, Red Five said:

Wait. We can't talk shit after beating the stink off of Kansas last year because we don't have the all-time wins advantage? Someone tell that to about 50 different football programs over the better part of the last 30 or so years. Including that one we play at the state fair every year. "Good game Longhorns. We would certainly enjoy talking shit regarding our 63-14 victory, but, alas, you have the all-time advantage in the series."

i guess i have a different viewpoint than most people in this thread, and that's fine.

A&M talking shit when they win 33? percent of their games in the series is dumb. it's been dumb for decades and is still dumb today.

Texas talking shit about Kansas when they win 28% of the games historically is equally as dumb in my book.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, NoName said:

i guess i have a different viewpoint than most people in this thread, and that's fine.

A&M talking shit when they win 33? percent of their games in the series is dumb. it's been dumb for decades and is still dumb today.

Texas talking shit about Kansas when they win 28% of the games historically is equally as dumb in my book.

Ok. That's not how sports work though. Also, it wasn't even really talking shit. Just pointing out that we beat them soundly twice last season.

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

When you beat a big dog, soundly, in 2 consecutive games, you get to make a little noise about it. 

Tenn football is still shit talking Bama after winning for the first time since 2006 

If Rice were to beat us in football next season, all Rice fans would quietly exit the stadium and never speak again of what they saw transpire. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Red Five said:

If Rice were to beat us in football next season, all Rice fans would quietly exit the stadium and never speak again of what they saw transpire. 

KU football fans never talked trash after they beat us. It’s true 

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

it's relevant because the discussion is about whether or not Texas, without adding any more players, could compete with KU for the league. as of today KU looks likely to start the season ranked either no.1 or no.2 nationally, while Texas would likely not be ranked without adding more players. and that's before we even mention that this is RT's first ever Texas team, having just lost the senior core of last year's elite 8 team, while playing in the toughest conference in america.

so what,  based on all of that, plus the series history, makes you think that we're going to be competing for the conference title with the roster we currently have?

this fucking board. if you say something completely stupid that's pro-Texas then people eat it up, even moderately intelligent basketball people like you. but if you something completely sensible that isn't just blind sunshine pumping, like, "we aren't going to beat KU or win the league with this current roster", then everyone gets all upset it's a whole big thing for three days. it's fucking stupid.

Just now, Gut Wagon said:

I think we'll have a pretty good team. I doubt we'll be as good as KU. Of course, neither will all but a handful of teams across the land. 

Stop me if you’ve heard this before, but the 5-7 best teams on paper look like KU, Duke, Gonzaga, UConn, Michigan State, Houston and….Marquette 

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Stop me if you’ve heard this before, but the 5-7 best teams on paper look like KU, Duke, Gonzaga, UConn, Michigan State, Houston and….Marquette 

Mostly familiar names, obviously. Of course, just as Self and Izzy make their teams far more feared than their rosters might suggest, Shaka makes his far less so. And so it will remain until further notice. 

1 hour ago, NoName said:

i'm glad Texas did win both of those games, but shit talking at all in that "rivalry" is as dumb as A&M shit talking Texas about the football rivalry. in fact, it's worse because A&M has a better winning% than Texas does.

glad they won them and good for the program but that doesn't make it less dumb.

1 hour ago, NoName said:

You’re conflating the OP saying we beat the shit out of them last year twice (which is objectively true) with aggy saying they’re run this state and are now the preeminent football program. The OP never said anything about us having a better basketball program or anything like that. If he did, then your response would’ve been reasonable, but he didn’t. 

23 hours ago, HookEm said:

Fair.  We also took 2 out of 3 games from them (in beat down fashion) and kept them from getting the Kansas City regional, which likely cost them a Final Four.

I don't see how this is "shit talk". Damn we have some sensitive people on this board.  Aggy likes to beat their chest based on recruiting rankings or playing close games.  This is simply acknowledging that we have been competitive as recently as last year.  And again, I have never said we are going to win the conference next year. I said we are going to COMPETE for it, just like we did last year. 

35 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

as of today KU looks likely to start the season ranked either no.1 or no.2 nationally, while Texas would likely not be ranked without adding more players.

Here is CBS ranking us at #19 without adding anyone else.

image.png.81c72dedb1f59d55652703af96db5205.png

I welcome anyone who thinks KU is completely head and shoulders above us to compare rosters as I have.  I'm certainly open to some rational discussion.  My view is that a lot of the rating services are vastly over-valuing incoming freshmen and under-valuing experience and the portal.  If the roster we have assembled ends up outside the top-25, we are going to surprise a lot of people.

espn has us outside of their top 30 right now.

also, comparing rosters does not tell the tale of gulf in class between bill self, the best cbb coach of the last two decades, vs rodney terry, a first time HC at this level who we all know wouldn't even have this job we're it not for extenuating circumstances. 

Edited by shadow_operative

22 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

sorry, tried to edit my last post but the time expired. just meant to add that most years you could switch texas and ku's rosters and ku would still be the better team because of self. he's that good.

I Hate You Apology Rejected GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Haha 2

I don't think the fact that Self is the best in the game is lost on anyone.  That is why KU is ranked in the top-5 despite only returning two players and not having a recruiting class loaded with top-10 recruits.

As it stands, KU is likely to start one freshman (fringe top-10 recruit) and need at least a couple more to step up big-time.  They may win the conference again with that formula, but I wouldn't be betting on them cutting the nets down.

Here are the significant freshmen on the last three years of Final Four teams.  Bold players are starters.  Only 4 teams had freshmen providing more than 10-12 mpg.  And the majority of the freshmen contributors were higher ranked than anyone coming in for KU.   

•    UConn – Karaban 29 mpg (~top-100 recruit)
•    San Diego State  – No significant freshman
•    Florida Atlantic  – No significant freshman
•    Miami – No significant freshman

•    Kansas – No significant freshman
•    North Carolina – No significant freshman
•    Duke – Banchero 33 mpg (#2 recruit), Keels 30 mpg (#19 recruit), Griffin 24 mpg (#18 recruit)
•    Villanova – No significant freshman

•    Baylor – No significant freshman
•    Gonzaga – Suggs 28 mpg (#7 recruit)
•    Houston – Mark 20 mpg (#75 recruit)
•    UCLA – No significant freshman

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ghost of Frank Erwin said:

I know we said to forget about Ron Holland, but is there any news on that front, and why we haven't released him from his LOI? Seems like it could be bad publicity on us if we don't release him sooner than later. 

I can't decide whether we should release him or not.  Nothing forced him to sign a LOI.  He knew RT was going to be the coach. Nothing has changed except that we have recruited a few more guys. 

Part of me likes taking a stand and forcing him to go to the G-league if he doesn't want to be at Texas.  I appreciate that it may hurt us recruiting 5-star players in the future, but it may also help when players (and their handlers) are trying to renegotiate NIL deals if we set a precedent that we don't play that BS.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

ftr if we do sign caleb love i am going to fully embrace it and root for RT and staff to make it work. my one big red flag on him is merely that we already have two very very good guards in the starting lineup and i fear that love will take away from them than he will compliment them. but if we do sign him then i will 100% support RT's decision and hope that Love is able to turn the corner this year. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I can't decide whether we should release him or not.  Nothing forced him to sign a LOI.  He knew RT was going to be the coach. Nothing has changed except that we have recruited a few more guys. 

Part of me likes taking a stand and forcing him to go to the G-league if he doesn't want to be at Texas.  I appreciate that it may hurt us recruiting 5-star players in the future, but it may also help when players (and their handlers) are trying to renegotiate NIL deals if we set a precedent that we don't play that BS.

futurama agree GIF

He made a decision. Hold him accountable.

11 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

ftr if we do sign caleb love i am going to fully embrace it and root for RT and staff to make it work. my one big red flag on him is merely that we already have two very very good guards in the starting lineup and i fear that love will take away from them than he will compliment them. but if we do sign him then i will 100% support RT's decision and hope that Love is able to turn the corner this year. 

Who knows how it will turn out with Caleb Love.  The guy has definitely been an inefficient high-usage player so far in his career. Generally I can't stand that type of player, especially at the PG position.  I don't mind it nearly as much from the wings where you need a player who can get buckets.

My main source of optimism is that Frank Haith is at his best with guard heavy lineups. His best year at Mizzou (2012) they were 30-5 with Marcus Denmon 6'3 (35 mpg), Kim English 6'6 (34 mpg), Phil Pressey 5'10 (32 mpg), Michael Dixon 6'1 (27 mpg), and Matt Pressey 6'2 (25 mpg) all getting big minutes. 

Kim English was about like Caleb Love prior to Haith taking over (36% FG). He went on to be 1st team All-Big 12 and Big 12 Tourney MVP.  Michael Dixon also saw a big efficiency improvement.  

Honestly it is hard to know exactly how to feel about various recruits when we don't really know what our style is going to be.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, Ghost of Frank Erwin said:

I know we said to forget about Ron Holland, but is there any news on that front, and why we haven't released him from his LOI? Seems like it could be bad publicity on us if we don't release him sooner than later. 

And.... Rothstein just tweeted we released him today, and he is visiting G-League. 

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Frank Erwin said:

And.... Rothstein just tweeted we released him today, and he is visiting G-League. 

There was another article this morning that said we were “holding” Holland “hostage”

12 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

people on surly got together to pool money for NIL deals. you don't think that our former players (i'd estimate that RT's former players have close to $500m in career earnings, if not more) can get together and organize something to help the school that gave them scholarships, an education, the best times of their lives, etc? you don't think they'll do that for the coach/mentor they've known since HS, whom they care about, and who they want to see succeed at Texas? 

You seem real adamant that something that, as far as I can tell, you made up in your head is something that should happen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

You seem real adamant that something that, as far as I can tell, you made up in your head is something that should happen.

you seem really adamant about arguing with me even though you yourself admit that you have zero clue how any of this works. great stuff. your contributions to this board are extremely valuable and appreciated by all.

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7jrmsvoh3nbbk3mrx8g

• Fuck You 1

I’d be genuinely curious to see what current or former NBA players are helping their programs by giving money for NIL or scholarships. 

I just don’t think there are a lot (if any) of current or former players doing that with their college programs. It makes it seem like the program doesn’t have the support of the university, and that’s not true. 

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

I’d be genuinely curious to see what current or former NBA players are helping their programs by giving money for NIL or scholarships. 

I just don’t think there are a lot (if any) of current or former players doing that with their college programs. It makes it seem like the program doesn’t have the support of the university, and that’s not true. 

listen i totally agree with you here. ive had the same thoughts myself. but Texas is a unique case. we have more recent nba players than all but 5-6 schools; many of them advocated for Terry; Texas is not a basketball school, with only one modern FF and zero titles; most of our recent nba alumni played for RT; they want him to do well; they know that Texas is a sleeping basketball giant; many of them love the school and loved their time here. why wouldn't they help out?

again, im not saying that our nba alumni are just going to be writing blank checks for NIL purposes, but tell me- in your heart of hearts, don't you think that A)CDC and RT are going to leave no stone unturned when it comes to NIL funds, and B)that our nba alums would be happy to help out? like i said, surly posters have organized and raised funds for NIL. why is it so illogical to think that our deep roster of nba alumni who played for terry and want him to succeed wouldn't chip in a little bit if it meant him getting a player versus losing him to a competitor?

finally, if the major programs and blue bloods aren't rallying the troops and getting their nba alums to give back to their school/program by organizing an NIL fund that can be used to give them an advantage in recruiting then i don't know wtf they're doing. seems like a pretty obvious angle to me.

4 hours ago, Pancho said:

Exactly. It doesn't seem to be a thing that happens.

As much as it seems to us like these guys have crazy money and can just throw a million here and a million there, I don't think it works like that in the real world.

7 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

you seem really adamant about arguing with me even though you yourself admit that you have zero clue how any of this works. 

At least I admit that I don't know how it works and politely ask questions. You've made multiple strongly worded, rude statements despite the fact that you don't seem to know it works either.

3 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

listen i totally agree with you here. ive had the same thoughts myself. but Texas is a unique case. we have more recent nba players than all but 5-6 schools; many of them advocated for Terry; Texas is not a basketball school, with only one modern FF and zero titles; most of our recent nba alumni played for RT; they want him to do well; they know that Texas is a sleeping basketball giant; many of them love the school and loved their time here. why wouldn't they help out?

again, im not saying that our nba alumni are just going to be writing blank checks for NIL purposes, but tell me- in your heart of hearts, don't you think that A)CDC and RT are going to leave no stone unturned when it comes to NIL funds, and B)that our nba alums would be happy to help out? like i said, surly posters have organized and raised funds for NIL. why is it so illogical to think that our deep roster of nba alumni who played for terry and want him to succeed wouldn't chip in a little bit if it meant him getting a player versus losing him to a competitor?

finally, if the major programs and blue bloods aren't rallying the troops and getting their nba alums to give back to their school/program by organizing an NIL fund that can be used to give them an advantage in recruiting then i don't know wtf they're doing. seems like a pretty obvious angle to me.

That's a lot of words to say "this is all a fantasy of mine"

• Haha 1

https://texassports.com/news/2018/1/3/mens-basketball-nba-star-kevin-durant-donates-3-million-to-the-university-of-texas.aspx

Kevin Durant

01.04.2018 | Men's Basketball

NBA star Kevin Durant donates $3 million to The University of Texas

2017 NBA Finals MVP makes the largest donation ever by a former Texas Basketball student-athlete.

AUSTIN, Texas – Former University of Texas star and 2007 consensus National Player of the Year Kevin Durant is donating $3 million to UT to support Texas Basketball and the Center for Sports Leadership and Innovation. Durant's donation is the largest outright gift by a former Texas Basketball student-athlete in school history and among the largest gifts ever by any professional athlete to his alma mater.  

In honor of the contribution, of which $2.5 million will go to Texas Basketball, the main entrance to Denton A. Cooley Pavilion will be named The Kevin Durant Texas Basketball Center. In addition, the men's basketball facilities will be named The Kevin Durant Basketball Facility for Men.

"My time as a Longhorn helped build the foundation for who I am today as a player and a person, and the UT team will always be my family," said Durant. "It's important to me to continue to give back to The University and ensure that future student-athletes have all the opportunities they need to succeed. It's an honor to have such a close and unique relationship with Texas Basketball, and I'm grateful to be able to contribute."

Durant's gift has already funded substantial facility improvements in Cooley Pavilion, highlighted by the renovation of the men's and women's basketball locker rooms, resurfacing of both the men's and women's basketball practice courts, installation of graphics in the men's practice areas, audio improvements and the creation of formal office space in Cooley Pavilion. 

• Hook 'Em 5

That was great of him, and I'm sure he'll do more.....especially once he retires (hopefully not for a long while, KD).  But one thing that I always thought was odd about that donation was they earmarked a huge chunk of it for Cooley, knowing they were gonna break ground on Moody/new practice facility just ~18 months later.  

Anywho, 48 hours more of dead period, then the final push for roster clarity leading to draft deadline in one week.  League committed to 18-game conference schedule plus we know most of our non-conf. schedule.  I'm hoping this being the last year, and only year, of this 14 team setup that they hurry up and release the full schedule in June/July and not pitter patter until September like some years.  I wanna see who we get in our rotation in terms of last hurrah opponents---it's been a fun ride with Kansas, Texas Tech, not so much Baylor.  So if we play everybody once, that's 13 games with the remaining 5 split how?  

I've enjoyed being in the Big 12 for hoops, but it has just gotten to be a complete bloodbath since some of the weaker schools have gotten good.  Used to be you could count on TCU sucking.  Now they are winning 20+ games and winning their first game in the tourney.  In recent years there hasn't been an easy game on the schedule.  Check that... there hasn't been a non-brutal game on the schedule. 

The SEC should be fun with a good mix of solid schools and relatively weaker schools where we can relax (a little).  Kentucky will be a good substitute for KU.  We will have good rivalry games with Arkansas, OU and Aggy.  We will have interesting games against former coaches in Tennessee and Ole Miss.  And out of the rest a few will be elite (Alabama, Florida, Auburn, etc.) - and a few will suck (Souf Carolina, Georgia).

4 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Fuck the SEC.

Forever.

This. It won’t be like the Big 12 where we hated it bc all the officials were anti-Texas and the entire league treated playing us like their Super Bowl and could go winless except over us and they’d never shut up. It’ll be outsiders inside the cult who hate their new brothers for being fucking freaks

The SEC is Deep South to me. Outside of some portions of East Texas, I have never associated the Lone Star State with the Deep South.

The SEC is a poor cultural fit, and probably a poor ethical one, as well.

It was an unnecessarily desperate move, motivated purely by greed. The other Big 12 teams are right to deride and despise us, and should we spend the next 40 years wandering the desert, it will be deserved.

I dunno, while the SEC as a whole is academically beneath us...I think our state is just as stupid as any of theirs.  We just have oil, a few good universities (UT, Rice, SMU, TCU, and some emerging UT System schools), and some major employers.  Otherwise, a plurality of Texans are just like East Texans...just in other parts of the state.  

We spent decades and a lot of blood, sweat, and tears to separate ourselves from the other Confederate states.  In the end, it's who we are. 

As others have stated though, high level Big XII basketball competition has been good for us though.  We are now a prominent program...just gotta take it up yet another level.  I think this roster is starting to look that way...

Edited by YGIFS
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

That's a lot of words to say "this is all a fantasy of mine"

it is truly baffling the way you show up here day after day with nothing of substance to add, hell bent on picking and maintaining fights with me specifically, only to convince yourself that you are above it all, and that it is me who comes here starting the shit and derailing the threads. all i can do is shake my head. it's pathetic.

eta: as catdaddy pointed out, there's nothing fantastical about the $3M that KD has already donated to Texas Basketball, nor is there anything fantastical about his publicly stated desire to give back to the school and the program that did so much for him. but uh, thanks for being such a ubiquitous anal polyp on this board the last couple days. you're really making this board a better place to visit.