Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

2 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

That’s right, I forgot to add his name too. And even if Kaluma comes back to college, It’d be a dog fight to land him.

It's going to be a dog fight for both Kaluma and Phillips but these really aren't the types we should be losing if we're serious. Think they're going where the money is. 

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I can't do this with you man. You are way too far in the weeds. I'm not sure why you can't objectively evaluate this kid. 

You take Mitchell over either of those guys and it isn't even a debate. Terry would laugh you out of his office if you suggested doing otherwise. It doesn't matter what numbers any of these guys put up last season. You are talking about an elite high school prospect returning for a program that he had a significant part in helping get back on the map of college basketball. 

If you think I don't know what I'm talking about then I don't really give a shit. I am perfectly comfortable with my knowledge and assessment of the game at multiple levels. I think you have a good basketball mind, too, I just think you're off the mark here and way too harsh on this guy. 

It doesn't matter that Phillips was a top 10ish defender last year as a true freshman? Man, I'm trying to take you seriously but it's difficult. 

7 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

It doesn't matter that Phillips was a top 10ish defender last year as a true freshman? Man, I'm trying to take you seriously but it's difficult. 

You just keep singling out things here and there that I mention without actually responding to the main point, which is that Texas has the chance to potentially return a top 10 recruit that started every game for the program's first elite eight team in 15 seasons. 

If you think Mitchell is incapable of playing elite defense then you weren't paying attention last season. Some of his defensive possessions - specifically 1 on 1 on the perimeter - were jaw dropping for someone his age. 

If you think that he can't be trusted with the ball in his hands or to not make crucial mistakes on either end of the floor then I'd ask why he was literally never dropped from the starting lineup - or why he had about half as many turnovers on the year as games he played in. 

He is basically the perfect type of player to keep on the roster and instead you want to roll the dice on two guys that have never stepped foot on campus. 

You're trying to take me seriously, everyone else here is trying to take you seriously because your take on this kid doesn't make any fucking sense. 

• Hook 'Em 1

You just keep singling out things here and there that I mention without actually responding to the main point, which is that Texas has the chance to potentially return a top 10 recruit that started every game for the program's first elite eight team in 15 seasons. 

If you think Mitchell is incapable of playing elite defense then you weren't paying attention last season. Some of his defensive possessions - specifically 1 on 1 on the perimeter - were jaw dropping for someone his age. 

If you think that he can't be trusted with the ball in his hands or to not make crucial mistakes on either end of the floor then I'd ask why he was literally never dropped from the starting lineup - or why he had about half as many turnovers on the year as games he played in. 

He is basically the perfect type of player to keep on the roster and instead you want to roll the dice on two guys that have never stepped foot on campus. 

You're trying to take me seriously, everyone else here is trying to take you seriously because your take on this kid doesn't make any fucking sense. 

Do I want a guy that's proven to be one of the top defenders in college basketball versus a player that one day "might" be a good defender? 

Let me summarize this for you in 1 word. Yes.

14 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Do I want a guy that's proven to be one of the top defenders in college basketball versus a player that one day "might" be a good defender? 

Let me summarize this for you in 1 word. Yes.

You're treating this like we're comparing players in a vacuum and that couldn't be further from the truth. There are a ton of considerations when you're talking about assimilating a 19 year old who is already dissatisfied with his current situation into a completely new situation, to where I'd almost rather take an objectively worse player familiar with his surroundings than a better newcomer.

The talent gap between Mitchell, Phillips and Kaluma is marginal. I don't give a shit if you disagree because you're straight up wrong if you do and it isn't a matter of opinion. You want to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about, now it's my turn. Why on earth you would elect to not roll with the guy that has already helped you get there and played alongside multiple starters and under your head coach and instead go with some random entity that may or may not even be a better basketball player next season is fucking beyond me. I mean it's completely asinine and I know for a fact that you're better than takes like that as a poster.

Whatever you have against Dillon Mitchell I have no idea. But you'd be well served to drop it and move on because it's a fucking beating to have you repeatedly, often multiple times per page tell us all how disappointing he is. I promise you if he returns he's going to make you look like a jackass. 

Have a nice night, go fuck yourself, whatever. I've said all I'm going to say on this matter. Just keep in mind I don't have anything against you I'm just tired of reading about how terrible Dillon Mitchell is. 

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

You're treating this like we're comparing players in a vacuum and that couldn't be further from the truth. There are a ton of considerations when you're talking about assimilating a 19 year old who is already dissatisfied with his current situation into a completely new situation, to where I'd almost rather take an objectively worse player familiar with his surroundings than a better newcomer.

The talent gap between Mitchell, Phillips and Kaluma is marginal. I don't give a shit if you disagree because you're straight up wrong if you do and it isn't a matter of opinion. You want to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about, now it's my turn. Why on earth you would elect to not roll with the guy that has already helped you get there and played alongside multiple starters and under your head coach and instead go with some random entity that may or may not even be a better basketball player next season is fucking beyond me. I mean it's completely asinine and I know for a fact that you're better than takes like that as a poster.

Whatever you have against Dillon Mitchell I have no idea. But you'd be well served to drop it and move on because it's a fucking beating to have you repeatedly, often multiple times per page tell us all how disappointing he is. I promise you if he returns he's going to make you look like a jackass. 

Have a nice night, go fuck yourself, whatever. I've said all I'm going to say on this matter. Just keep in mind I don't have anything against you I'm just tired of reading about how terrible Dillon Mitchell is. 

The funny part is this has little to do with Mitchell. I mean damn look at the on/off defensive numbers for Phillips for the top defense in college basketball. This is insane for a true freshman. 

Nobody can objectively argue they would take a project over a player that was arguably the top defender in college basketball last year. It's just dumb. You can spin with "you are comparing players in a vacuum" all you want but at the end of the day, I'm taking the guy that has proven he's an elite defender over somebody that might one day be a good basketball player. 

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The funny part is this has little to do with Mitchell.

It has everything to do with Mitchell. You're just showing your ass at this point. Stop. 

You still aren't even responding to my main argument.

Edited by ztejas

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

It has everything to do with Mitchell. You're just showing your ass at this point. Stop. 

Nope. There are definitely other players in the portal I would take Mitchell over. Phillips and Kaluma aren't in that group. 

I can't even believe this is a discussion when you look at the advanced defensive stats for Phillips. But here we are. Who knew you didn't want one of the best defenders in the country from last year. 

3 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Nope. There are definitely other players in the portal I would take Mitchell over. Phillips and Kaluma aren't in that group. 

I can't even believe this is a discussion when you look at the advanced defensive stats for Phillips. But here we are. Who knew you didn't want one of the best defenders in the country from last year. 

Dude this isn't franchise mode on NBA2k. I don't understand why you can't realize the immense benefit of college basketball roster continuity especially when it involves a 19 year old with through the roof potential that already started for an EE team. You have yet to even attempt to challenge that argument. I don't give a fuck if Phillips can dunk from the free throw line. It's like you're intentionally missing the point. 

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Dude this isn't franchise mode on NBA2k. I don't understand why you can't realize the immense benefit of college basketball roster continuity especially when it involves a 19 year old with through the roof potential that already started for an EE team. You have yet to even attempt to challenge that argument. I don't give a fuck if Phillips can dunk from the free throw line. It's like you're intentionally missing the point. 

I said above, I'll almost always take the better player over continuity. 

This isn't some marginal difference. Phillips was one of the top defenders in college basketball last year. Mitchell has potential defensively but all he showed were flashes of talent last year. If you think this is some marginal difference, where continuity matters, I don't know what to tell you. 

Also, the continuity argument is a bad one in the context of Phillips and Kaluma. 

We need a wing. Phillips is definitely a better fit at the 3 than Mitchell. Kaluma isn't a perfect fit but I still think he's a better fit than Mitchell. Continuity doesn't mean shit if he doesn't really fill a role we need. 

22 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

If you think this is some marginal difference, where continuity matters, I don't know what to tell you. 

Yes that's what I think because it's the correct take.

18 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Also, the continuity argument is a bad one in the context of Phillips and Kaluma. 

We need a wing. Phillips is definitely a better fit at the 3 than Mitchell. Kaluma isn't a perfect fit but I still think he's a better fit than Mitchell. Continuity doesn't mean shit if he doesn't really fill a role we need. 

Again, this isn't the NBA. We're talking about college hoops. The best fit is the guy that's already played on the fucking team. 

"Continuity doesn't mean shit"

You have to be kidding me with takes like this. You really, really have to be kidding me. Even in the league continuity is a huge benefit. 

Every Texas fan should be glad that you aren't running the program. There's a difference between replacing positions of need through the portal and opting for portal guys over guys already on the roster at the same fucking position. (especially when that player is the most naturally talented player on the team)

Edited by ztejas

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yes that's what I think because it's the correct take.

Again, this isn't the NBA. We're talking about college hoops. The best fit is the guy that's already played on the fucking team. 

"Continuity doesn't mean shit"

You have to be kidding me with takes like this. You really, really have to be kidding me. Even in the league continuity is a huge benefit. 

Every Texas fan should be glad that you aren't running the program. There's a difference between replacing positions of need through the portal and opting for portal guys over guys already on the roster at the same fucking position. 

I said "continuity doesn't mean shit if he doesn't fill a role we need." 

We currently have quite a bit of continuity at the 4. Cunningham will get minutes there and it also sounds like they will try to play Disu at the 4 next year. That's where Mitchell played last season and where his best fit is. 

Playing a guy out of position because of "continuity" is not something any coach does other than your imaginary world. Which is what would happen if Texas plays Mitchell at the 3. 

9 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I said "continuity doesn't mean shit if he doesn't fill a role we need." 

We currently have quite a bit of continuity at the 4. Cunningham will get minutes there and it also sounds like they will try to play Disu at the 4 next year. That's where Mitchell played last season and where his best fit is. 

Playing a guy out of position because of "continuity" is not something any coach does other than your imaginary world. Which is what would happen if Texas plays Mitchell at the 3. 

What the fuck are you even talking about? Mitchell can play the 3 or the 4. In our starting lineup last season we had both him and Allen, neither of whom could shoot the 3. In a 3 guard lineup Mitchell could play the 4 - in a 2 guard lineup he can play the 3 and will probably be a good enough shooter to spot up from 3 when he's open. 

You're advocating for, what, playing the Tennessee guy who shot 24 fucking % from 3 last season at the 3? 

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

image.gif.dbf386420a53154f5d3cab2d965b2e5f.gif

You're welcome to contribute to the discussion. 

33 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

It's not a good fit at the 3 but we're derailing the thread so I'll just stop. 

Ah, yes. So noble of you. 

The thread derailment never would have taken place if you knew how to properly evaluate a 19 year old basketball player. 

If he shuts the fuck up about Dillon Mitchell from now on then we all won. 

For some reason, you think I have an agenda against Mitchell. I was defending Mitchell today saying the "twitter stuff wasn't a big deal." 

It's alright to have rational discussions about players. Arguing a player has a limited offensive game or X player is better does not mean you hate the guy. Matter of fact, everything I've seen from Mitchell during the season suggests he was a very good teammate despite limited playing time. 

This really didn't take long. All separate posts.

He hasn't shown anything other than drills. 

The first scrimmage was exactly why Mitchell didn't play much at Texas. He was -9 and the worst or 2nd worst player on his team. 

Dillon Mitchell in 2 combine scrimmages. 

1/6, 2 points, -9. 

2/9, 5 points, -12. 

Any team that drafts this guy is just dumb. He's been even worse than I expected in the combine scrimmages. 

Big difference between shooting in drills and shooting in game situations. 

Mitchell looked exactly like he did at Texas in year 1 in the scrimmage today. 1/6 from the field and looked extremely limited offensively. 

I don't know what Mitchell does but I still have no clue why any team would draft him high. He's athletic but has shown very limited ability. He has no offensive game at all and his defense is not nearly as good as some think. 

I wouldn't qualify any of those statements as "rational". All of that seems pretty negative when scouting a teenager with immense promise that just spent a season at Texas.

This is on top of you trying to convince me and Derka over multiple posts that Caleb Love is a better athlete than Tyrese Hunter and insisting that Texas pursue him. 

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I wouldn't qualify any of those statements as "rational". All of that seems pretty negative when scouting a teenager with immense promise that just spent a season at Texas.

You are really reaching. Arguing Mitchell didn't perform well at the combine in the context of him potentially returning is not "being negative." 

It's called speaking the truth. You do know this is a thread where we discuss the roster right? How dare I discuss how Mitchell is performing at the combine in the context of him potentially returning because his draft value is in the gutter. 

You do realize the recent developments reported by Gerry just reinforce why these posts were even more topical right? The entire point of those posts was to point out that Mitchell staying in the draft was far from a certainty. Thanks for proving me right though. 

6 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

You are really reaching. Arguing Mitchell didn't perform well at the combine in the context of him potentially returning is not "being negative." 

It's called speaking the truth. You do know this is a thread where we discuss the roster right? How dare I discuss how Mitchell is performing at the combine in the context of him potentially returning because his draft value is in the gutter. 

You do realize the recent developments reported by Gerry just reinforce why these posts were even more topical right? The entire point of those posts was to point out that Mitchell staying in the draft was far from a certainty. Thanks for proving me right though. 

You debate like a prepubsecent teen but then again your avatar is a generic Astros logo. I'll go ahead and put you on ignore for the sake of the board. I'm done wasting my time trying to explain how you have no fucking idea what you're talking about.

I'm sure that you know more about Texas basketball than me and Derka combined. That's a super reasonable position to take. You better pray to God Mitchell doesn't recommit.

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm sure that you know more about Texas basketball than me and Derka combined. 

I think almost everyone has reasonable insight on basketball. Funny enough, those posts happened when Derka kept arguing "there was no chance Mitchell would return." 

I don't know how anybody could have possibly thought that during the combine when Mitchell was struggling in the scrimmages. Again, thanks for proving me right. That's all you did bumping those posts. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

24 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I think almost everyone has reasonable insight on basketball. Funny enough, those posts happened when Derka kept arguing "there was no chance Mitchell would return." 

I don't know how anybody could have possibly thought that during the combine when Mitchell was struggling in the scrimmages. Again, thanks for proving me right. That's all you did bumping those posts. 

well i simply took him at his word that he didn't plan on returning. those were the reports from jump street, and again, everything i've seen and heard from him since then backs up the idea that he doesn't intend on returning. i never imagined so much controversy stemming from me pointing out that by his own account he's never wanted to nor planned on returning. he seems pretty dead set on going pro.

Edited by shadow_operative

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

well i simply took him at his word that he didn't plan on returning. those were the reports from jump street, and again, everything i've seen and heard from him since then backs up the idea that he doesn't intend on returning. i never imagined so much controversy stemming from me pointing out that by his own account he he never wanted to not planned on returning.  

That's fair and it's why I didn't bump those posts to prove I was right. 

I just don't take what 18 or 19 year olds say seriously. Which is why I don't really give a shit what Mitchell said about RT on twitter. But the reality is that Mitchell wasn't performing well at the combine and eventually somebody would tell him his draft value probably justified returning to college. 

It’s really not a discussion more it’s talk having a DM type pussy insult fight in the open for no reason and we are forced to read it. 

Gerry saying S&C should be announced this week. I’m keeping a close eye on Rothstein’s Twitter today.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 5/29/2023 at 10:41 PM, UnhappilyMarried said:

Slater suggesting Arky got Holland. Figured our release of him meant he was G League bound. Can’t believe we had 0 ammo against them when everyone in the world knew they were recruiting a signed high schooler 

Glad he was wrong and we didn’t roll over on this one 

6 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I hadn't really thought about this but it's true. This is the weakest HS recruiting class in over a decade so next year's draft class will also be weak. 

Yep. I heard that as well. The 2024 draft is going to be very bad.