Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

Some dude on IT is saying Mitchell is coming back and an announcement will be made shortly. Of course, he posted that around 4:30 and its 2 hours later.

Gerry replied that Texas would take Mitchell over Kaluma, and they would be looking for at least another rotational guard.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Some dude on IT is saying Mitchell is coming back and an announcement will be made shortly. Of course, he posted that around 4:30 and its 2 hours later.

Gerry replied that Texas would take Mitchell over Kaluma, and they would be looking for at least another rotational guard.

Kaluma is going to require a major bag. 

Kentucky is desperate and is going to drop a major bag as will Alabama. The way Gerry was wording things earlier in the week it seemed to me like Kaluma/Phillips + another guard was likely out of the question based on how much money they would have to spend for either Kaluma or Phillips. 

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Kaluma is going to require a major bag. 

Kentucky is desperate and is going to drop a major bag as will Alabama. The way Gerry was wording things earlier in the week it seemed to me like Kaluma/Phillips + another guard was likely out of the question based on how much money they would have to spend for either Kaluma or Phillips. 

Gerry also said that Mitchell killed it in NIL, but not from Texas. He had an agency running it, so Mitchell returning could likely mean that Texas has more NIL left for the 4th guard.

22 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The problem with Phillips and Kaluma is we will have to drop a bag for either (assuming they don't stay in the draft). I don't know where Texas is with NIL funds but I wonder if there's enough to buy one of those guys + a guard. 

That's one area I could see value in Mitchell. Since he can't enter the portal and his NBA draft prospects are slim, maybe you can get him back for cheap now and allocate the rest of NIL to a good guard like Tyrin Lawrence. 

I know it's cringey to bump posts but if this is the strategy I'm hoping Tyrin Lawrence is the guard we get back in the mix with. Not sure he's willing to join this loaded backcourt though. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Gerry also said that Mitchell killed it in NIL, but not from Texas. He had an agency running it, so Mitchell returning could likely mean that Texas has more NIL left for the 4th guard.

Mitchell just doesn't have much leverage either. He can't enter the portal and it's sounding more like his NBA draft value isn't good. 

I'm not saying you low ball Mitchell or anything but Texas is in the position of power now. 

At the end of the day, I don't think the perceived lack of development of Mitchell or Morris played much of a role. Johnson and Holland opted for the most money. 

Serious question, don’t judge me if I’m being a dumbass but how much can/does a g leaguer make?

2 minutes ago, shakahorn said:

Serious question, don’t judge me if I’m being a dumbass but how much can/does a g leaguer make?

Some of the bigger names, around $500k. Like Scoot and Jalen Green. Think London Johnson’s was $1.1m

Mitchell would give us a lot of versatility.  With him playing "small" forward that gives us a ton of size in the starting lineup.  I doubt we would play zone, but a bottom 3 of Mitchell and Disu on the outside with Shedrick in the middle would be sick defensively. 

I would expect to see Mitchell make as big of a leap as Disu did last year.  Maybe a bigger one. Getting him back would be absolutely huge. 

A lineup of Hunter, Abmas, Mitchell, Disu and Shedrick will be a problem for anyone.  And then Cunningham, Weaver and Onyema off the bench is very solid.  I don't think we really need anyone else outside of maybe a bench guard who can give us 10 mpg. 

Here is a guess at how the minutes would shake out in a tight conference game:

image.png.bdb129bdd7bcebd6f148dd98b17f0866.png

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Mitchell would give us a lot of versatility.  With him playing "small" forward that gives us a ton of size in the starting lineup.  I doubt we would play zone, but a bottom 3 of Mitchell and Disu on the outside with Shedrick in the middle would be sick defensively. 

I would expect to see Mitchell make as big of a leap as Disu did last year.  Maybe a bigger one. Getting him back would be absolutely huge. 

A lineup of Hunter, Abmas, Mitchell, Disu and Shedrick will be a problem for anyone.  And then Cunningham, Weaver and Onyema off the bench is very solid.  I don't think we really need anyone else outside of maybe a bench guard who can give us 10 mpg. 

Here is a guess at how the minutes would shake out in a tight conference game:

image.png.bdb129bdd7bcebd6f148dd98b17f0866.png

Wait? Where’s Gavin perryman?

• Haha 1

Less than 1 hour for Mitchell to decide

18 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

If Mitchell comes back do you think Derka will apologize for berating me and calling me stupid for suggesting 2 weeks ago that he might come back?

Or nah? 

🤣

nobody cares.

• Hook 'Em 3

If Mitchell comes back do you think Derka will apologize for berating me and calling me stupid for suggesting 2 weeks ago that he might come back?
Or nah? 

Nobody gives a shit other than you. This board would be better off if both of you put each other on ignore.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

A ton of size with zero shooting. I have a hard time seeing how they get many minutes on the court together unless someone develops a shot.

18 minutes ago, goatsaag said:

A ton of size with zero shooting. I have a hard time seeing how they get many minutes on the court together unless someone develops a shot.

That group shoots better than you are giving them credit for.  Disu shot 37% from 3 on 3.8 attempts per game at Vandy. He can shoot. 

Shedrick is an 80% free throw shooter as a big man. He only shot 7 3s in his 76 games at Vandy. It just wasn't part of their gameplan. But I would be shocked if he isn't at least above average in the midrange if he can shoot free throws at that rate.  I mean he shot ~65% from the floor last year and it wasn't just dunks.

Abmas and Weaver are plenty deadly from outside though. That will open everything else up.  Brock as well.

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Losing the two HS superstars didn't help.

Yeah, that came later though. There seemed to be some people legitimately surprised that Hunter and Mitchell declared for the draft, which always seemed like the safe bet considering their talent levels even though their play last year didn’t match up.

Point being that their decision to enter the draft wasn’t related to their true feelings about the coach or staff, which how a couple people tried to spin it.

Edited by Hookem2147