Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Losing the two HS superstars didn't help.

No way Mitchell comes back if those two are here, so hopefully Mitchell develops and makes those 2 losses sting a little less.

The roster retention was pretty good though, Morris is the only guy who played a minute of basketball last year who could’ve come back but didn’t.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Pancho said:

No Kaluma tho 

The way Gerry has been wording things it was going to require the rest of NIL funds to land either Kaluma or Phillips had he returned. Meaning they wouldn't be able to add another guard. 

I think that likely factored big time into the decision. 

They likely got Mitchell for pennies on the dollar based on the talent level. 

2 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

The roster retention was pretty good though, Morris is the only guy who played a minute of basketball last year who could’ve come back but didn’t.

Yep, it certainly appears the notion that the players enjoy playing for Terry and the staff has some merit.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Man, great class to have zero commits in that case. RT playin chess

In a way, I kind of wanted to see Holland at Arkansas. 

They're going to have an experienced and good roster much like Texas did last year. My bet is Holland would have likely had a similar FR season as Mitchell did. 

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7kip65vi947687ie8e5

I'm tired of these dumb narratives of "Texas can't develop 5 stars" simply because they don't get playing time with older rosters. 

It's so dumb. Holland was the perfect setup for that bullshit to be a reality at another school and you have to know Arkansas was likely in his ear about that nonsense. 

8 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

also he's joining a much better team than arkansas, one that plays much tougher competition. i can't imagine that ignite (which i work don't even 100% understand what that is or how it works) would be paying him $500k to come and play the dillon mitchell role from last year. 

Not sure what you're implying?  

Somebody explain the NIL world to me like I'm a toddler.  (Ahem.)  What's the root cause of us getting outbid?  We need to pay more guys than other programs?  We have less money to throw around than other programs?  Other?

I don't really like where NIL is going but it's hard for me to believe we can't pony up the $$$ with any other school out there.  Maybe that's a distorted view because I'm thinking "football money".

31 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Not sure what you're implying?  

you believe he would have had a dillon mitchell-esque role at arkansas. he's going to be playing for a better team on a tougher league. why would he and ignite have mutual interest if he's that type of player? how is he going to get minutes for them? 

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Somebody explain the NIL world to me like I'm a toddler.  (Ahem.)  What's the root cause of us getting outbid?  We need to pay more guys than other programs?  We have less money to throw around than other programs?  Other?

I don't really like where NIL is going but it's hard for me to believe we can't pony up the $$$ with any other school out there.  Maybe that's a distorted view because I'm thinking "football money".

What makes you think we're getting outbid? They definitely had to drop a bag for Abmas and Shedrick. Definitely had to a drop a bag to keep Hunter and Disu. 

Is your "outbid" perspective based on Holland and Arkansas? I just wonder how much certain schools want to spend for a FR when reality is transfers/experienced players have more value. I don't know if that's "getting outbid" or just recognizing value. 

6 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

What makes you think we're getting outbid? They definitely had to drop a bag for Abmas and Shedrick. Definitely had to a drop a bag to keep Hunter and Disu. 

Is your "outbid" perspective based on Holland and Arkansas? I just wonder how much certain schools want to spend for a FR when reality is transfers/experienced players have more value. I don't know if that's "getting outbid" or just recognizing value. 

No particular assumption.  Take Holland -- did we not offer enough money because we didn't have it or didn't want to pay it?  

15 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

you believe he would have had a dillon mitchell-esque role at arkansas. he's going to be playing for a better team on a tougher league. why would he and ignite have mutual interest if he's that type of player? how is he going to get minutes for them? 

The same league had interest in Mitchell. They just try to sign the top HS prospects.

I don't think signing with Ignite gives you any insight on what type of role that player will have there. For instance, Johnson (who signed from the '22 class) hardly played. 

I don't think it's a guarantee that Holland will get minutes with Ignite. Although, he is definitely a better prospect than somebody like London Johnson.  

Edited by Rickylovesweed

Also, isn't the entire point of that Ignite team development of high school players? I think they have a slightly different decision calculus than a school like Arkansas. 

The bottom line at Arkansas is winning. Comparing "strength of league/roster" to Arkansas, in the context of minutes, seems misplaced because they have different goals in mind. 

21 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

No particular assumption.  Take Holland -- did we not offer enough money because we didn't have it or didn't want to pay it?  

No clue and there were also rumors that the lack of development of Mitchell/Morris might have played a role. So maybe we weren't outbid and other factors came into play? 

Regardless, it sure doesn't look like to me we are behind with NIL. Abmas and Shedrick were our top 2 targets from the get go. Disu had to get a nice NIL deal or he could be playing overseas for decent money.  Even a guy like Weaver was being pursued by A&M, Ole Miss, Ohio State, Texas Tech, etc. It likely took a bag to get him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Pancho said:

Gerry saying S&C should be announced this week. I’m keeping a close eye on Rothstein’s Twitter today.

I don't know if this will be the hire but I was told by somebody I trust they were trying to get Cory Schlesinger who has been the strength and conditioning coach for the Suns. 

Apparently, he has quite the reputation and was involved with a lot of the Olympic sports at Stanford prior to the Suns. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

5 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Also, isn't the entire point of that Ignite team development of high school players?

That’s more Overtime Elite’s charter; they recruit high school-age kids to play against other high school kids. Ignite is all post-HS players on 1-year contracts playing against other post-HS players. Ignite is there essentially to cater to the 1 and done player….

I'm a little bit surprised a school didn't try to get Liam McNeely to commit and reclassify. He's apparently very mature for his age (in terms of basketball game). 

I never saw any mention of reclassification but I thought that's something Texas might attempt even though that model really hasn't worked well. UNC just did it with a guard from the '24 class. McNeely can shoot and play the 3 so I thought Texas might try to do that at one point. 

10 hours ago, goatsaag said:

A ton of size with zero shooting. I have a hard time seeing how they get many minutes on the court together unless someone develops a shot.

It Texas adds somebody like Reeves I think you could see a starting 5 of Hunter, Abmas, Reeves, Mitchell, and Disu. 

To me, that's a much better fit than a starting 5 of Mitchell, Disu, and Shedrick. But is Shedrick willing to come off the bench and is Mitchell still willing to play the 4? 

Reeves would be great, only started 14 games out of 34 last year, so could be used either in the starting lineup or off the bench.

I think Terry prefers the 3 guard lineups so a starting 5 of

Hunter, Abmas, Reeves, Mitchell, and Disu would be intriguing.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Reeves would be great, only started 14 games out of 34 last year, so could be used either in the starting lineup or off the bench.

I think Terry prefers the 3 guard lineups so a starting 5 of

Hunter, Abmas, Reeves, Mitchell, and Disu would be intriguing.

Really interested to see how Mitchell and Disu play with another year together.   

yea I hope we land a guy like Reeves

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Welcome back Dillon!  Excited to see him develop.  Maybe too early bro write RT off?

Yes, it is too early to write off RT.  It is also too early to claim that he is going to be successful in all facets.  If you evaluate what he has done month-to-month instead of minute-by-minute, what we have seen so far is encouraging. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

Yes, it is too early to write off RT.  It is also too early to claim that he is going to be successful in all facets.  If you evaluate what he has done month-to-month instead of minute-by-minute, what we have seen so far is encouraging. 

What do you say we give him till at least game 1?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The same league had interest in Mitchell. They just try to sign the top HS prospects.

I don't think signing with Ignite gives you any insight on what type of role that player will have there. For instance, Johnson (who signed from the '22 class) hardly played. 

I don't think it's a guarantee that Holland will get minutes with Ignite. Although, he is definitely a better prospect than somebody like London Johnson.  

I don't know about minutes, etc., but Holland's offensive game is already in another universe compared to Mitchell.

2 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Rein in the enthusiasm, peoples. We won't know how any of these kids will perform until the lights come on.

We also don't know if Tyrese, Disu, Mitchell and Brock have any established chemistry with each other or the head coach. Or if they're capable of making a tourney run.

• Haha 4