Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Morris was a freshman with a very limited role on a senior laden team. he never even got a chance to get his feet wet. had he been a freshman on a team like the one we're about to field you would have seen him grow and shine. you should have seen him against Arkansas, he was the best player in the court. all of this, "he sucks, who cares" garbage is just that. garbage.

He was good in that one private scrimmage you saw 4-5 months ago so we should ignore all evidence to the contrary? Evidence which consists of him sucking for literally the entire season minus a few decent games?

• Hook 'Em 1

Portal update from Gerry Hamilton 

Spoiler

Texas hoops portal competition

Virginia transfer Kadin Shedrick will make an official visit April 18. Some people believe Duke will be the choice because he’s from Holly Springs, N.C. and stayed in the ACC out of high school. We shall see on that. Texas has a legit shot here. Kansas State is a sleeper, and Missouri is making a run. Xavier is the fifth school on the visit list. 

Inside Texas also believes Kansas State is the top competition in the portal recruitment of ORU transfer guard Max Abmas. IT does not believe Wichita State would be the pick. Abmas is expected to make a visit to Texas in the next couple of weeks. 

USC transfer guard Reese Dixon-Watersis close to locking in a visit date to Texas. The 6-foot-5, 210-pound Pac-12 Sixth Man of the Year is expected to choose out of Texas and UCLA. San Diego State has attempted to make a run, but IT does not believe that will be the pick as of today. 

A second big the Longhorns like in the portal is Kalib Boone. Boone and the Longhorns have had multiple discussions thus far.

• Hook 'Em 1

Boone can play the 5 but he primarily played the 4 at Oklahoma State. I guess that still classifies as a “big.”

Either way, Texas should be all over that. Boone was 3rd team all Big 12 for a reason. He’s a much better player than Mitchell is so it will be interesting where they’re prioritizing NIL there. 

16 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

He was good in that one private scrimmage you saw 4-5 months ago so we should ignore all evidence to the contrary? Evidence which consists of him sucking for literally the entire season minus a few decent games?

This is a wild take. And that's really saying something on this board. Arterio was incomplete and inconsistent (as many freshman are) but he never full on sucked at any point this season. His defense was above average throughout the year and if we're grading his D on the standard freshman guard curve, it was damn near elite. The last time I checked, playing D was at least half of the job description, and his play on that end of the court never once approached sucking. His offensive game didn't match, but he also rarely received the kind of run he needed to get into the flow of the game. He essentially approached every game with the understanding that he'd have a 5-7 minute window to show if his shot was falling and potentially earn more play time based on having the hot hand. That's not an ideal scenario for optimal performance for any athlete. 

I'd be super bummed to see him move on, as he seems likely to make a leap in year 2. 

• Hook 'Em 8

USC transfer guard Reese Dixon-Watersis close to locking in a visit date to Texas. The 6-foot-5, 210-pound Pac-12 Sixth Man of the Year is expected to choose out of Texas and UCLA. San Diego State has attempted to make a run, but IT does not believe that will be the pick as of today. 

Welp

- D-W committed to SDSU (was a surprise to Texas and ucla)

- Shedrick leaning duke

- k state coming in hot for Abmas (lean?)

- Donewald not locked down

- Terio gone

we still have roughly a month left of portal combat, but I’m not the happiest about this start 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

- Shedrick leaning duke

- Terio gone

we still have roughly a month left of portal combat, but I’m not the happiest about this start 

I still think Terry earned the job, and CDC was right to give it to him; however, this was my fear, that Terry just wasn't going to be able to recruit/portal like others would have. It is a long game, so we will see. And, he might be able to coach what what he does have on the team enough to make up the deficit. It will be an interesting couple of years. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Pancho said:

- Shedrick leaning duke

- Terio gone

Caleb Love -> Michigan
Kel’el Ware  -> Indiana
LJ Cryer - > Baylor
Tylor Perry -> Texas not in top 12 (How are we not even in the top 12?)

Kalib Boone – undecided
Darius Maddox – undecided

"Maddox missed the final two months of this past season while tending to a personal matter,
and now he'll move on from the Hokies program entirely and look to reboot his career elsewhere.
Before leaving the team, the 6-foot-5, 180-pound guard started in 19 of his 20 appearances for Virginia Tech,
averaging 8.5 points, 3.1 rebounds, 1.1 assists and 1.0 three-pointers in 29.6 minutes per game."

If you aren't in a dudes top 12, it probably means you weren't very interested in the first place. Not too hard to decipher that one.

We also never seriously got engaged with Ware, Cryer and Love outside of initial conversations that we've probably had with 20+ guys at this point. If you classify every player we ever had a conversation with who ended up elsewhere as a "miss", then yes we will miss on about 50 guys by the end of May.

Unless Texas has done an in-home, the guy has taken a visit or is in the process of setting up a visit, it doesn't seem like it is a serious recruitment.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 4/11/2023 at 10:21 AM, Rickylovesweed said:

Boone can play the 5 but he primarily played the 4 at Oklahoma State. I guess that still classifies as a “big.”

Either way, Texas should be all over that. Boone was 3rd team all Big 12 for a reason. He’s a much better player than Mitchell is so it will be interesting where they’re prioritizing NIL there. 

We’ll see if Terry keeps things the same as they were under Beard, but we pretty always played 4s at the 5 under Beard. Boone is 100% a 5 in our current system. 

3 hours ago, Pancho said:

- Shedrick leaning duke

- Terio gone

Yeah, I’ll wait to see how it all ends up. If we keep Donewald, land Abmas, Boone and a couple others, then it could be a bright future, but it’s not looking great right now. This was always a possibility with Terry, but the combination of him doing so well and us missing on almost all of our top coaching candidates didn’t leave many other options. 

40 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

If you aren't in a dudes top 12, it probably means you weren't very interested in the first place. Not too hard to decipher that one.

We also never seriously got engaged with Ware, Cryer and Love outside of initial conversations that we've probably had with 20+ guys at this point. If you classify every player we ever had a conversation with who ended up elsewhere as a "miss", then yes we will miss on about 50 guys by the end of May.

Unless Texas has done an in-home, the guy has taken a visit or is in the process of setting up a visit, it doesn't seem like it is a serious recruitment.

You can spin it however you want, but we currently have 2 guys on the roster. Best case scenario is we return 5 players and bring in two freshmen, and I doubt we get all 3 of Mitchell, Hunter, and Disu to return. We need 5-6 transfers. Not going after some of the guys being discussed is probably worse than missing on them. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 5

6 hours ago, Pancho said:

- Shedrick leaning duke

- Terio gone

Well Let’s see what Terry is made of, he wanted the job and he got it. Now let’s get to it 

His evals behind the scenes are probably too high for him to justify sticking around in college. It's why he was always going to command the highest NIL figure to stay. 

I hope he goes to a good spot and does well. I would have loved to get a 2nd season but he doesn't owe Texas anything - he was a high character guy that played hard and accepted his role. 

• Hook 'Em 7

For me, Morris is a much bigger loss for the college game which is dominated by guards.  Mitchell is making a good decision if he goes in the 1st round.  If not, I think it would be better for him to develop while continuing to cash them NIL checks.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, HookEm said:

For me, Morris is a much bigger loss for the college game which is dominated by guards.  Mitchell is making a good decision if he goes in the 1st round.  If not, I think it would be better for him to develop while continuing to cash them NIL checks.

I think they both would have been very good players next season. Mitchell has some shit under the hood that most posters on this board either don't or struggle to recognize. It's why he's leaving. He will cash checks next season regardless of what he's doing - and development is objectively better with a G League team or at the end of an NBA bench than it is in college - especially for players with his skillset.

Morris needs another year in college and he will probably get it. 

14 hours ago, Pancho said:

- D-W commit SDSU (surprise to UT/ucla) 

- Shedrick leaning duke

- Terio gone

Always wondered if ORU's Abmas might be swayed by Jerome Tang's strong faith coaching approach

16 hours ago, Pancho said:

- Shedrick leaning duke

- Terio gone

I’m just going to tell myself that maybe he is talking to some people that aren’t in the portal yet.  I guess that’s possible. 

RT is gonna get the scraps of the portal and some here will spin it that we got some good guys. How the fuck are we not in on the north Texas kid that was player of the year in that conference but we go after a usc guard that was meh as fuck this season? And I don’t give a shit what he did two years ago like that trumps the current shitty season he just had. 

• Hook 'Em 1