Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

40 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Down to Texas and Arkansas for Johnson per the twitters 

This feels like a money thing. Kansas spent all their NIL/money on transfers and my guess is didn't have much to offer a FR that wouldn't play much. Now two schools also throwing NIL around are in the top 2. 

This just seems like the new reality of NIL. Signing with a school doesn't mean anything because schools are going to tamper and up the ante in certain situations. 

50 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Maybe playing time wasn't the reason he opted out at Kansas? Seems like he's picking schools where playing time would still be an issue in year 1. 

There’s definitely more potential playing time for him here than at Kansas. Kansas has at least 4 (honestly, probably 5) guards that are guaranteed to be ahead of him in the rotation, we only have 3 guards on the roster.

Edited by Lonestar88

19 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

we only have 3 guards on the roster

Sir.... aren't you forgetting about Gavin Perryman

52 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Cunningham and Anamekwe are the 9th and 10th guys.  

Cunningham is the 5th or 6th best player on this team IMO.  Maybe even the 4th best player, depending on how much Mitchell improves.

My order goes like this (assuming expected off-season improvement):

1. Aẞmas 
  2. Disu
  3. Hunter
  4. Mitchell
  5. Cunningham
  6. Shedrick
  7. Weaver
  8. Onyema
  9. Chris Johnson (if he comes here)
  10. Anamekwe

Put it this way... if you are at Gregory playing pickup are you really going to take Shedrick, Weaver or Onyema before Cunningham?  Not if you want to stay on the court for a while.

26 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Sir.... aren't you forgetting about Gavin Perryman

Cunningham is the 5th or 6th best player on this team IMO.  Maybe even the 4th best player, depending on how much Mitchell improves.

My order goes like this (assuming expected off-season improvement):

1. Aẞmas 
  2. Disu
  3. Hunter
  4. Mitchell
  5. Cunningham
  6. Shedrick
  7. Weaver
  8. Onyema
  9. Chris Johnson (if he comes here)
  10. Anamekwe

Put it this way... if you are at Gregory playing pickup are you really going to take Shedrick, Weaver or Onyema before Cunningham?  Not if you want to stay on the court for a while.

I would definitely take Weaver over Cunningham.  I do see your point and it’s not a major contention.  But if I’m divvying up playing time, I expect both Shedrick and Weaver to get more minutes than Cunningham for sure, while Onyema’s minutes would be right in line with Cunningham.

7 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Hunter, Max and Disu will be on the court a lot.  We can probably predict Cunningham's minutes based on his average the past three years.  Trying to project anyone else's minutes is just wild conjecture.

That’s what we do best! 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I don't know about minutes or who the better players are but I do get the impression that Weaver was drastically undervalued. According to the Ole Miss boards, Beard thought he was one of the best players in the portal. 

Yet Beard didn't recruit him at all last year, instead focusing on Morris and that guard from the east coast. Then shut it down once Wallace chose Kentucky.

Edited by HtownHorn

25 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Yeah, but nobody wanted Weaver out of high school. Every major program missed on him. 

Correct, but the kid was in Beard's backyard. He took Anamewke late in the recruiting cycle, but still had nothing for Weaver, who had just led his team to a state championship.

8 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Correct, but the kid was in Beard's backyard. He took Anamewke late in the recruiting cycle, but still had nothing for Weaver, who had just led his team to a state championship.

Anamewke along with the Jakobe Walter surprised everyone with their run to the state championship game their senior year.  They spoiled what was probably the most highly anticipated state championship match-up in the last 25 years between Richardson and Duncanville. And it's supremely ridiculous to suggest we should've taken Weaver over Morris. Morris' situation was just unfortunate.  Had he arrived in Austin with a less experienced roster in place and gotten more playing time and more diverse role he would've been much happier with his time here and would still be on the roster.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 6/16/2023 at 12:00 AM, shadow_operative said:

some highlights from seth davis's latest preseason top 25:

8)A&M

Im assuming they are returning everyone and/or got some super transfers or recruits?  Seems like a lofty ranking for a fringe top 25 team who lost in the first round. 

9 hours ago, EZ$ said:

Im assuming they are returning everyone and/or got some super transfers or recruits?  Seems like a lofty ranking for a fringe top 25 team who lost in the first round. 

Returning almost the entire team but they didn't add anybody of value. 

20-25 seems like a much more accurate preseason ranking. 

10 hours ago, closetohumping said:

This is good right?

I don't know how anybody could argue it isn't good.

1) Johnson has talent

2) Johnson fits a role we need. Bigger guard with size that can also play the wing. 

3) We need some younger talent to balance out the roster for the future. 

4) Other big schools want him so we're obviously doing what's needed to add him. 

just saw a mock draft in the nba offseason thread that has ron holland going no.1 overall next summer. i'm still steamed that this guy was such a frequent/public advocate for RT to get the job, only to then demand more money and then decommit when we wouldn't give it to him. huge difference in the ceiling of this team, and honestly could have a huge impact on RT's head coaching career. fuck that guy. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

I honestly don’t know much about Holland. In terms of single year impact, do you think he would be better than Dillon Mitchell with another year of experience?  I think I would rather have Mitchell just based on the rarity of having a truly impactful college freshman. 

Admittedly, I have a big bias for older players.

he's won three state titles (would have been four) and two fiba gold medals and he's been the best player on all but one or two of those teams (his freshman year in HS he wasn't the alpha, but other than that he's pretty much been the guy). he was likely going to be our second or third best player next season (i would have guessed third behind abmas and hunter) and would have been our best forward/front court player. it's a pretty damn big loss. our ceiling in the tourney drops a round or two without him. 

Edited by shadow_operative

The last 12 months were huge for Holland and it basically upped his profile tremendously. He dominated EYBL & FIBA last summer and then followed it up this past spring and confirmed this view with glowing reports about his play during the McDonald's All-American practices where he was thought to easily be the best player there. This caused the GLeague to up it's offer as well as Arkansas. Say what you want, but if the NCAA wants to keep pretending that this isn't a professional endeavor, and continues to refuse to bring some sort of order to their business with actual contracts instead of genuflecting at the altar of amateurism this will continue to happen.  Simple economics; Holland's value went up and he sought payment reflecting this fact. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, HookEm said:

I honestly don’t know much about Holland. In terms of single year impact, do you think he would be better than Dillon Mitchell with another year of experience?  I think I would rather have Mitchell just based on the rarity of having a truly impactful college freshman. 

Admittedly, I have a big bias for older players.

Holland is in another stratosphere in terms of offensive skillset as compared to Mitchell (even now - forget the beginning of freshman year in college). Holland would have had an outsized impact on this team. As Catdaddy and Derka both pointed out, the ceiling for this squad would be HIGH with him in the fold.

9 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

The last 12 months were huge for Holland and it basically upped his profile tremendously. He dominated EYBL & FIBA last summer and then followed it up this past spring and confirmed this view with glowing reports about his play during the McDonald's All-American practices where he was thought to easily be the best player there. This caused the GLeague to up it's offer as well as Arkansas. Say what you want, but if the NCAA wants to keep pretending that this isn't a professional endeavor, and continues to refuse to bring some sort of order to their business with actual contracts instead of genuflecting at the altar of amateurism this will continue to happen.  Simple economics; Holland's value went up and he sought payment reflecting this fact. 

Saw he was projected as the #3 pick in one 2025 mock. I know, largely worthless but a great prospect.