Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

3 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I'm not quite clear about what you're saying. You're acting as if the guy just got into coaching. There is no question Terry can recruit. He can identify talent. He can help convince players to play for him. This offseason will not determine if Terry can recruit or not. He can. 

Even at Fresno State and UTEP he attracted talented players. He got Bryson Williams to come with him from Fresno State to UTEP.

If/when he's let go at Texas and he gets another assistant job - possibly with Beard where ever Beard ends up - he's going to be a good recruiter there, too. 

Can he be a compelling figure as the head of the Texas basketball program? I mean, we'll see. I say no, but we all get to find out. 

Basically I am saying that as the Head Coach at UT we will find out how well he can use his new position as a recruiter.  History is exactly that, history.  Right now he has a lot of kids that left, many sort of expected.  So we will see.  Terry was always a hire that was a damned if you do and damned if you don't.  For me there are simply not enough data points to make an educated guess one way or the other. But we will know soon as the portal will determine all.

Terry could flop. But he earned the job and there simply was not a coach with a big enough splash to wash out the negatives of not giving Terry a chance.  Doesn't mean the Basketball office would not like some good press rather than just exiting player articles.

The truth is Texas is more concerned with public optics and the politics of a situation than winning. All they had to do was let it play out, suspend him for the year and move on not giving a fuck what the public thinks. Charges were dropped  but here we are. Now we have RT and gonna hopefully end this experiment by end of year 2. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 4

3 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

The truth is Texas is more concerned with public optics and the politics of a situation than winning. All they had to do was let it play out, suspend him for the year and move on not giving a fuck what the public thinks. Charges were dropped  but here we are. Now we have RT and gonna hopefully end this experiment by end of year 2. 

kingsley shut up GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

Triggered again?

Pick a side, even if it's an unpopular one, if you have conviction. I got bunch of FU's from Terry jock sniffers for saying I was not a fan of the hire. I take that as a badge of honor seeing who gave me those reactions.

Edited by UTEE97

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

that post was not reasonable, and your passive aggressive shit talking towards UT hoops fans who are upset is about as logical as living in MORGANTOWN and then telling people you're from "Motown" and expecting them to know the difference. stfu.

The post that said "hey the transfer season isn't over yet. chill and see what happens" wasn't reasonable?

I also never expected anyone to know that Motown = Morgantown. I said it plainly and matter of factly when asked about the name. It's sort of odd you've spent years melting down over a screenname I put 3 seconds worth of thought into.

Go outside, breathe some fresh air, take a little walk, and burn some calories. I've been bending over backwards to be nice to you for months now. You don't have to spend the bulk of your limited time on this Earth fighting imaginary enemies on the Internet. Relax.

Edited by MotownHorn

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

nope. shaka is a better coach and most likely a better recruiter than RT. it can be worse.

6 years of Shaka is waaaaaaay worse than 3 to 4 more years of Terry. Way worse. For me. 

We won't be doing breathing exercises at the under 4 minute timeout. That guy drives me bananas.

Terry may not be a master class head coach, but I accept him for what he is. He's not going to make me pull my hair out. I'm beyond that. Now, if we extend his contract for results I find uninspiring the way we did with Shaka, I'm going to feel on the more ballistic side, but I don't believe that's going to happen.

I realize you're a long ways off from acceptance, which is okay by me. You do your thing. I find you highly entertaining. I love your takes. I think you add a lot to the basketball board. But sometimes I feel like you're going to give yourself a heart attack by taking on anyone who is remotely positive about Terry, or fails to recognize the genius we lost in Chris Beard. But this place would be a lot more boring for me if you weren't around, so I'm glad you do your thing. I consider myself on Team Derka. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, horn4life said:

Basically I am saying that as the Head Coach at UT we will find out how well he can use his new position as a recruiter.  History is exactly that, history.  Right now he has a lot of kids that left, many sort of expected.  So we will see.  Terry was always a hire that was a damned if you do and damned if you don't.  For me there are simply not enough data points to make an educated guess one way or the other. But we will know soon as the portal will determine all.

Terry could flop. But he earned the job and there simply was not a coach with a big enough splash to wash out the negatives of not giving Terry a chance.  Doesn't mean the Basketball office would not like some good press rather than just exiting player articles.

All I'm saying is the guy can recruit. Can he recruit well enough to be successful at Texas? No. But he'll have issues on a number of fronts in that regard. 

You and I are simply in different places. You're in wait and see mode. I'm in I know who Terry is. I've known who Terry is for a couple of decades. This exercise isn't going to teach me anything new. Instead of thinking about it as a damned if you do and damned if you don't, I think about it as being grateful for a magical season, which earned him the right to fail over the next few years, then we'll move on to the next guy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Go root for someone else then. Return your degree as well. 

Lmao. Good grief. You can’t say one opposing thing with some of you foam finger pussies. I disagree with the decision to let go of beard and I disagree we should have kept RT. Sorry you don’t like my opinion and I get it that your woke opinion is all that matters. But I don’t give a fuck. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 2

24 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I do not believe that. I believe there are a number of people who were disturbed at what happened. I know people on the staff were disturbed. And their wives. I don't know that people in the administration felt the same way, but I can imagine they did. It's unprecedented to have a college basketball head coach arrested for felony domestic violence. I'm not trying to convince you to feel differently. I couldn't if I tried. I understand what you're saying, and that it's your belief we should have kept Beard so we could continue to field a championship level basketball team. I feel like there's room here to agree to disagree. I don't believe you're espousing violence against women. I don't believe you should hand in your degree. I don't believe you're suddenly a bad person for having a difference of opinion. But we do have a difference of opinion. 

I don't believe this was about optics. I believe this was more about conviction that Beard was no longer suitable to be the head coach at Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I do not believe that. I believe there are a number of people who were disturbed at what happened. I know people on the staff were disturbed. And their wives. I don't know that people in the administration felt the same way, but I can imagine they did. It's unprecedented to have a college basketball head coach arrested for felony domestic violence. I'm not trying to convince you to feel differently. I couldn't if I tried. I understand what you're saying, and that it's your belief we should have kept Beard so we could continue to field a championship level basketball team. I feel like there's room here to agree to disagree. I don't believe you're espousing violence against women. I don't believe you should hand in your degree. I don't believe you're suddenly a bad person for having a difference of opinion. But we do have a difference of opinion. 

I don't believe this was about optics. I believe this was more about conviction that Beard was no longer suitable to be the head coach at Texas. 

All charges were dropped. I’m going off he wasn’t convicted of anything. And the optics of the situation is why he was let go. Public opinion, the thoughts of other people being the reason he was let go. I am pissed we’ve turned into a second rate coaching hires school. Beard has been the best coach we’ve hired. Everyone else is a second rate coach. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Many have said Texas was in a no win situation and had to give Terry a shot.  Bullshit. He should be getting a shot because, and only because, they believe he’s the best person for the job. If he’s not, they should have made the tough decision to go with someone else. To be a winner and leader, you have to make the tough decisions. 

We are only a few weeks into the Terry regime, so it’s too early to scream that our pets heads are falling off. However, the massive stream of bad news regarding the program over the least few weeks could be a strong indication that this regime is going to be an absolute disaster. Buckle up, or at least grab some Kleenex, because this could be a sad three years. Fuck. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Beard fucked us big time when he allowed that incident to escalate on that fateful night. He was as good a fit to run this program as any we could ever hope for. People think keeping Beard would have hurt us in recruiting. While that maybe true, hiring a mediocre coach can also hurt in recruiting. You don't think other coaches will point out his coaching resume? It remains to be seen if Beard will get his pre-arrest mojo back. I suspect his baggage will continue to weigh him down and he might never be the same coach again.

5 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

All charges were dropped. I’m going off he wasn’t convicted of anything. And the optics of the situation is why he was let go. Public opinion, the thoughts of other people being the reason he was let go. I am pissed we’ve turned into a second rate coaching hires school. Beard has been the best coach we’ve hired. Everyone else is a second rate coach. 

Again, you and I don't agree. You don't feel like he did anything wrong since the charges were dropped. I feel like he did a lot wrong simply to be in that situation in the first place. To repeat, we can agree to disagree. But you saying Texas did it for optics is simply your opinion. I feel like it was the right thing to do, and I don't give a rat's ass about the optics. 

But yes. Beard is the best coach we've hired in basketball, and in my opinion had the potential to be a watershed hire for the athletic department as a whole. Him getting arrested was a gut punch for me. But I'm still glad he was fired. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Lmao. Good grief. You can’t say one opposing thing with some of you foam finger pussies. I disagree with the decision to let go of beard and I disagree we should have kept RT. Sorry you don’t like my opinion and I get it that your woke opinion is all that matters. But I don’t give a fuck. 

Because nothing says “woke” like taking a stance against felony arrests.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Many have said Texas was in a no win situation and had to give Terry a shot.  Bullshit. He should be getting a shot because, and only because, they believe he’s the best person for the job. If he’s not, they should have made the tough decision to go with someone else. To be a winner and leader, you have to make the tough decisions. 

We are only a few weeks into the Terry regime, so it’s too early to scream that our pets heads are falling off. However, the massive stream of bad news regarding the program over the least few weeks could be a strong indication that this regime is going to be an absolute disaster. Buckle up, or at least grab some Kleenex, because this could be a sad three years. Fuck. 

He's getting paid $3.2 million per year for a job I know they were willing to go as high as $6 million per year, and probably more if it was the wright person. 

There's no way they think Terry is the best coach available. But there's a feeling he earned his shot at the job, so now he has it. 

And it won't be a sad three years because I'll keep warm by remembering the Elite Eight run and the best parts of this season. It was a lot of fun. 

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, formermav43 said:

Because nothing says “woke” like taking a stance against felony arrests.

Yes I take a stand against felony convictions. One day it’s the police is bullshit and not all arrests matter then it’s take a stand against all felony arrests. Either way we’re gonna deal with having another second rate coach on the 40. Hopefully we’re approaching the last year of 7-5 sark but we like mediocre coaches so we might keep him.

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

One of the Oklahoma a State mods apparently said he thinks Boone is headed to Texas. 

15 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Several crystal ball picks for Abmas to Texas. Abmas and Hunter would be one of the best backcourts in the country. 

Fix It Phaedra Parks GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Johnson news was surprising and I guess the Morris news was mildly surprising to some (although it wasn't to me).

Outside of that, every single thing that has happened the last two weeks as been something that seemed like it was a possibility 3 months ago. Hunter and Mitchell testing the NBA draft waters and a guard who was asked to take a redshirt deciding to transfer.

Portal stuff seems like a totally separate deal but considering there is still another month of dudes being allowed to enter the portal, the odds of us being left holding our dick in that regard seem to be extremely low.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

agreed that it wasn't a no-win situation. sure, if you hire someone else then you'll receive a bunch of public backlash from moronic talking heads and even dumber, less informed college hoops fans. but if you look up in 2-3 years and your hire has Texas on the right track while RT is going 18-15 at Cal then that brief period of criticism won't really matter all that much. 

I still am hopeful that we will have a very good team next year.  We could very easily end up with this team:

• Tyrese Hunter (6'0 G) - Started 38 games on Elite 8 team
  • Max Abmas (6'0 G) - Summit PoY, NCAA All-Region Team  (Oral Roberts)
  • Quincy Olivari (6'3 G) - 2x All-CUSA  (Rice) 
  • Kalib Boone (6'9 F) - All Big-12 (Oklahoma State) 
  • Dylan Disu (6'9 F) - Started 35 games on Elite 8 team, Big12 Tourney MVP
  • Ron Holland (6'8 F) - 5-star, #6 National Recruit
  • Brock Cunningham - (6'5 F) - 113 games played for Texas, on most of our best lineups
  • Kadin Shedrick (6'11 C) - 35 starts for Virginia
  • Alex Anamekwe (6'5 F) - Minimum minutes. Will probably not be an impact player for a few more years

We won't get all of these players, and honestly we don't have room for them all.  

TLDR version: Relax.  Lot of stuff will happen over the next month.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I still am hopeful that we will have a very good team next year.  We could very easily end up with this team:

- - -

We won't get all of these players, and honestly we don't have room for them all.  

TLDR version: Relax.  Lot of stuff will happen over the next month.

Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Need  to recruit a 3 from the portal. 

Hunter (Elite 8 point guard)

Abmas (similar level player as Carr but IMO a much better scorer)

Boone (a substantial upgrade over Mitchell at the 4)

Disu (Elite 8 center)

This starting 5 with a decent 3 will win a lot of games or you simply aren't paying attention. I saw on Twitter that Texas is engaging Jalen Hill which would make a lot of sense at the 3. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

I think we have room for nine scholarship players. 

Depends on the decisions of Hunter, Mitchell and Disu.

Speaking of Disu, Gerry did say a little bit ago that he is still hearing positive things about him returning. So take that for whatever it's worth.

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

so. much. shit talking towards those of us who acknowledged that this was not a home run hire. we're still in April and it's beyond clear that beard >>>>>> RT in areas that have nothing to do with on-court performance. well, unless you count actually having living, breathing players on your team as being related to on-court performance. this is such a clusterfuck. 

These types of reactions in April are funny.  The team on the court in November will be fine.  Especially coming from a guy who would still have Shaka Smart coaching our basketball team if he had his call. 

The question I’ve had through this whole thing for the non Terry crowd is who is the hire?  Who should we have hired?  Who we pulling away from a spot?  Billy Donovan who’s not leaving the NBA?  Calipari from Kentucky? Nate Oats from Bama?  Musselman coming from Arky? Odds are you don’t pull these names and then what?  You’ve fired a coach that took your team to is first elite 8 in some time to give the job to Doug McDermott? 

2 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

These types of reactions in April are funny.  The team on the court in November will be fine.  Especially coming from a guy who would still have Shaka Smart coaching our basketball team if he had his call. 

The question I’ve had through this whole thing for the non Terry crowd is who is the hire?  Who should we have hired?  Who we pulling away from a spot?  Billy Donovan who’s not leaving the NBA?  Calipari from Kentucky? Nate Oats from Bama?  Musselman coming from Arky? Odds are you don’t pull these names and then what?  You’ve fired a coach that took your team to is first elite 8 in some time to give the job to Doug McDermott? 

Allegedly it was Sean Miller 

11 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

All these have been addressed before. 

Announcing Bill Murray GIF

• Hook 'Em 1