Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

7 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

The guy that dodged NCAA sanctions at Arizona and got his ass whipped by Terry in the tourney?  

Terry took 2 from Bill Self. You’d actually turn down the current best active coach if he expressed interest? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

You think Sean Miller is the best current coach in college hoops?  This isn’t me being a dick, I’m just asking out of curiosity.  

That’s not what I said or implied and you know it. You are being a dick, but that’s Surly 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Let’s see Terry build his own roster and whip ass. He did a great job managing a roster that had final 4 potential. 

I’m in the same boat.  I’m not saying Terry is gonna lead is to the promised land.  It just is funny watching Derka “I told y’all motherfuckers” multiple people on this thread.  

At this point in Beards first few months on the job our roster was shit too.  Let’s see what happens. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

You think Sean Miller is the best current coach in college hoops?  This isn’t me being a dick, I’m just asking out of curiosity.  

Bill Self. Terry took two from Kansas. He's extrapolating the point of Sean Miller not being a worthy candidate because he lost to Terry in the Sweet 16.

Or you're being obtuse intentionally.

Edited by MuellerHorn

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

That’s not what I said or implied and you know it. You are being a dick, but that’s Surly 

Fair enough

It was a no win situation in my eyes for CDC if it wasn’t Terry.  Unless you’re bringing in a name that everyone says, yeahhh I get it.   If Miller was the name and it would’ve happened, I’d have a different feeling about it (I’m not a fan of his but I know he’s had good teams in the past).  

7 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

At this point in Beards first few months on the job our roster was shit too.  Let’s see what happens. 

Beard took over a team that lost to ACU. This year we are coming off of an elite 8 appearance, new arena, available roster spots and NIL. Those two situations are not the same.

Edited by UTEE97
  • Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I had decided that this is who it must be.  We kinda ruined that by beating X.  

Yeah, we coulda hired him, but good Lord what a melt down ensuing...

2 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Beard took over a team that lost to ACU. This year we are coming off of an elite 8 appearance, new arena, available roster spots and NIL. Those two situations are not the same.

It’s the same in the sense of it’s April and the spots on the roster aren’t filled yet.  If we finish out the roster and you still think we’re fucked then so be it.  Shit I might to.  But it’s a bit early to make that call. 

2 minutes ago, cochamps said:

Reading comprehension much?

Oklahoma HS education.  Reading fucks with me sometimes.  

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Beard took over a team that lost to ACU.

The team that lost to ACU was Final Four caliber.  We finished #9 in the final season poll.  That team was stacked and criminally underachieved. 

Did Chris Beard keep Kai Jones, Greg Brown, Jerecho Sims, and Matt Coleman from going pro, even though they all had college eligibility left?  Nope. 

Did Chris Beard keep Kamaka Hepa, Donovan Williams and Royce Hamm from hitting the portal?  Nope.

It all worked out fine, even though a lot of us were very worried at the time.  Let's give Terry a little time and see what happens.

• Hook 'Em 6

12 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

I’m in the same boat.  I’m not saying Terry is gonna lead is to the promised land.  It just is funny watching Derka “I told y’all motherfuckers” multiple people on this thread. 

im responding to all of the people who talked so much shit to those of us who insisted that RT and Beard weren't in the same league as coaches, and all of the shit talking during the tournament towards those of us who had the gall (see: sense) to insist that RT's tourney run doesn't make him chris beard. and now what we have is our first concrete evidence of that. reality in setting in.

so many here talked so much shit 3-4 weeks ago, and now here we are, after the incredible high of losing to miami (lol) in the elite 8 has worn off, facing the reality that chris beard was the absolute college hoops pied piper, and that RT, who we all know is miles behind beard as a head coach and program builder, also isn't going to be the recruiter or transfer god that beard was either. my posts today are an angry reaction to all of that completely naive, delusional, casual fan shit talk which several of us endured for simply not blindly acting like RT and Beard are equals.

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

im responding to all of the people who talked so much shit to those of us who insisted that RT and Beard weren't in the same league as coaches

I would love to see one quote, just ONE quote where someone directly said that RT and Beard were in the same league.  I read just about every post on this board and I don't recall anyone ever even implying that.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

Fair enough

It was a no win situation in my eyes for CDC if it wasn’t Terry.  Unless you’re bringing in a name that everyone says, yeahhh I get it.

it was not a no-win situation, and the name doesn't matter. if we let RT got then some other school that expects to be in the tourney regularly would have hired him. if the guy we hired ended up being a good hire and assuming that RT wasn't concurrently leading Cal or someone to the FF, then aside from a few days of michael wilbon and kendrick perkins criticizing Texas, there would be no controversy at all. 

Just now, HookEm said:

I would love to see one quote, just ONE quote where someone directly said that RT and Beard were in the same league.  I read just about every post on this board and I don't recall anyone ever even implying that.  

dude i have already responded to this exact post from you before: it is not my job to make sure that you read and understand every post on this forum, and i am not going to go back through thousands and thousands of posts to try and prove something to you that you somehow inexplicably missed in the first place.

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

im responding to all of the people who talked so much shit to those of us who insisted that RT and Beard weren't in the same league as coaches, and all of the shit talking during the tournament towards those of us who had the gall (see: sense) to insist that RT's tourney run doesn't make him chris beard. and now what we have is our first concrete evidence of that. reality in setting in.

so many here talked so much shit 3-4 weeks ago, and now here we are, after the incredible high of losing to miami (lol) in the elite 8 has worn off, facing the reality that chris beard was the absolute college hoops pied piper, and that RT, who we all know is miles behind beard as a head coach and program builder, also isn't going to be the recruiter or transfer god that beard was either. my posts today are an angry reaction to all of that completely naive, delusional, casual fan shit talk which several of us endured for simply not blindly acting like RT and Beard are equals.

Fair enough.  

I get that it’s directed at specific people but give Terry a chance before we burn down the program.  The first thing to happen and it’s the I told you so game.  A month from now we could sitting here with a starting 5 of Hunter, Abmas, Holland, Boone, Disu and be pretty content with the idea of that.  Or I  could anyways.  

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, HookEm said:

The team that lost to ACU was Final Four caliber.  We finished #9 in the final season poll.  That team was stacked and criminally underachieved. 

Did Chris Beard keep Kai Jones, Greg Brown, Jerecho Sims, and Matt Coleman from going pro, even though they all had college eligibility left?  Nope. 

Did Chris Beard keep Kamaka Hepa, Donovan Williams and Royce Hamm from hitting the portal?  Nope.

It all worked out fine, even though a lot of us were very worried at the time.  Let's give Terry a little time and see what happens.

We had a rotten culture. I don't care if we had NBA talent. We needed a complete overhaul.

Just now, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

Fair enough.  

I get that it’s directed at specific people but give Terry a chance before we burn down the program.  The first thing to happen and it’s the I told you so game.  A month from now we could sitting here with a starting 5 of Hunter, Abmas, Holland, Boone, Disu and be pretty content with the idea of that.  Or I  could anyways.  

i love RT, and he will have way longer of a leash from me than someone like shaka ever would have, especially if he does in fact land todd wright, abmas, boone, etc. i'm rooting very hard for RT to succeed here. it would be a great story, and all of us would be very happy. i'm just irked at how mouthy the pro-RT crowd was the last several weeks, only for his tenure to (for now) get off to the exact opposite start that beard's did when he essentially hand picked whoever he wanted from the transfer portal, followed by him convincing all of them to stay an extra year. that's a very special quality that Beard has that very few other coaches in the country can match, if any. RT will have his work cut out for him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

it was not a no-win situation, and the name doesn't matter. if we let RT got then some other school that expects to be in the tourney regularly would have hired him. if the guy we hired ended up being a good hire and assuming that RT wasn't concurrently leading Cal or someone to the FF, then aside from a few days of michael wilbon and kendrick perkins criticizing Texas, there would be no controversy at all. 

Matter of opinion.  I think if we don’t hire RT and don’t bring in a top tier guy, the perception isn’t good.  “Texas let’s go of the guy that took em to an E8 and had backing from KD and TJ Ford to hire ____”.   If it’s Miller, maybe that checks the elite box.  But you better bring in someone with a resume from a perception standpoint. 

1 minute ago, GreenspointTexas said:

In a vacuum, each of Morris, Mitchell, Hunter, Johnson, and possibly Disu’s decisions are understandable.

but coupled together, this is a really bad indictment of their confidence in Terry as HC

Morris and Johnson, maybe.

But I've yet to hear a good explanation for why Mitchell and Hunter declaring for the NBA draft while retaining their college eligibly is an indictment on the coaching staff. If they had no faith in the staff, they would declare for the draft while retaining their eligibility and entering the portal, which many players have done.

1 minute ago, UTEE97 said:

How is that AJ just realized that college is not the best route for him after being committed to us for months?

This is what puzzles me. He was part of the “we want Terry” crowd just go turn around and ditch us. His thinking couldn’t have changed that much in the last 2 months 

39 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Nobody here has said RT was better than Beard.  We asked you to give him a chance.   Predictably, you waddle in here the moment bad news hit.  Can you give Rodney more than a month?   

24 minutes ago, Js1 said:

This is what puzzles me. He was part of the “we want Terry” crowd just go turn around and ditch us. His thinking couldn’t have changed that much in the last 2 months 

Up top, gerry said his grades became an issue.  Not sure if Gerry is flat lying or Rodney should’ve paid for a better math tutor with his new found riches

9 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Up top, gerry said his grades became an issue.  Not sure if Gerry is flat lying or Rodney should’ve paid for a better math tutor with his new found riches

Damn, where’s Randa Ryan when you need her?

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

Go outside

Take a walk

internet battles are not that important 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Hopefully this is the staff's darkest day and we start signing some transfers soon.

We absolutely can't show-up in Milwaukee next season and roll with Gavin Perryman.

Some perspective from another poster's research:

Sir’Jabari: entered March 29th, committed April 19th
Tyrese: entered April 18th, committed May 27th
Carr: entered March 17th, committed July 19th
Timmy: entered March 26th, committed April 13th
Disu: entered April 21st, committed April 26th
Bishop: entered March 31st, committed April 16th

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

This where I am. I’m not even sure Arterio would have stayed if Beard had. Seniors still would have been out of eligibility. Maybe we would have been more successful landing transfers to date but that’s far from settled.  Ultimately there’s nowhere to go but forward and I hate backwards looking hand wringing like Tech hated Chris Beard.

Edited by Degenerate Gardner
  • Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

It’s a result-oriented business.  Chris Beard clearly hit the ground running and got immediate results.  Terry?…….let’s just say he’s not off to a good start, but let’s see if he can replace the significant losses this week.

But he didn't get immediate results. He waited months for the 1st portal kid to commit.

Coming off our best season in years, Beard waited until late April to get Rice and late May to get Hunter.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

so. much. shit talking towards those of us who acknowledged that this was not a home run hire. we're still in April and it's beyond clear that beard >>>>>> RT in areas that have nothing to do with on-court performance. well, unless you count actually having living, breathing players on your team as being related to on-court performance. this is such a clusterfuck. 

6 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

remember hookem's thread/poll about "what would RT need to do during the tourney to earn this job"? remember when some of us said that no tourney run could do that, because it's just one tourney run with a team that's not his, and that the rest of his 27 years as a d-1 coach points to him not being the guy? remember when a bunch of other posters freaked out over that, and gloated and talked a bunch of shit to us after every win in march?  because derka fucking remembers! 😡😡😡

Remember when Derka said those that are the least often correct make the most “I told you so” posts? Hank remembers.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1