Surly Boxing Thread

BigOrange1

10 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

yeah i think its time to stop taking lopez seriously as a big time guy.  he hasn't been impressive since he beat loma and the only reason he won that fight is because loma did literally nothing for the first 6-7 rounds.

Agree on the first part, the narrative building for Loma is too much though. Loma got beat because he couldn't out pace, out technical, out box or out maneuver Lopez like he could everybody else. Period. I guarantee if Loma got to the 3rd round and thought he could overwhelm Lopez like a lesser fighter, he would have. He didn't push the gas because Lopez wasn't a pushover.  It's no matter now though, because Lopez is not that guy anymore. Maybe it was the hunger and spotlight that focused him against Loma, couple with the confidence of an undefeated fighter, but that confidence is long gone. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

Agree on the first part, the narrative building for Loma is too much though. Loma got beat because he couldn't out pace, out technical, out box or out maneuver Lopez like he could everybody else. Period. I guarantee if Loma got to the 3rd round and thought he could overwhelm Lopez like a lesser fighter, he would have. He didn't push the gas because Lopez wasn't a pushover.  It's no matter now though, because Lopez is not that guy anymore. Maybe it was the hunger and spotlight that focused him against Loma, couple with the confidence of an undefeated fighter, but that confidence is long gone. 

Meh. Loma was coming off of a shoulder injury and his power wasn’t there. Once he turned it on he beat up on Lopez. Teo just lacks too much and doesn’t seem to prepare at all. 

Edited by hobbes2702

• 4 weeks later...

I don't hit the Surly boxing thread much, but a Davis v Luis commercial got me wondering what y'all think.

I don't recall seeing Luis fight. I just know he's moving from Super Light (130) to Lightweight (135), but I've watched and rewatched Davis mop up Lightweight with ease, I don't think Luis had been hit with Davis type power at 130. 

Until I see otherwise, Davis by Left Uppercut.

I guess I'll check out some vids of Luis before the weekend.

i won't pay for it, but it's a very solid card.  davis should win and setup the big fight with ryan garcia in april.  

jaron ennis could be the #3 guy at welterweight behind crawford and spence.  KO artist that will hopefully get a big fight sometime this year.

andrade is whatever but to have a guy of his caliber as the #4 fight on the show is very strong.

and brandun lee is another hard hitting, action packed fighter who is usually in entertaining fights.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Slacks said:

Yeah, not paying, because I'm poor... A buddy has access to it, so I may have to go to his place... Or just wait for it to hit the intertron.

my plan is to find a stream.  if you don't go over to your buddie's and can't find it, let me know and i'll share the link with you if i find a good one.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

my plan is to find a stream.  if you don't go over to your buddie's and can't find it, let me know and i'll share the link with you if i find a good one.

Appreciate it. I need to figure out how to get streams on the Roku...

6 hours ago, OB3 said:

Gervonta is so entertaining. Just kicked his ass in that last round, dude didn’t even know which corner was his and couldn’t see

I missed it. Asleep on the couch early.. 'll catch a replay or highlights at some point.

I think Gervonta mops everyone in the class. He seems to be bigger, faster, stronger than the class. Like a guy who walks around at 175 but it's still fast like 130/135.

He has to move up at some point, right?

On 12/11/2022 at 9:31 AM, BurdineBandit said:

I'm a fan of Loma but it just looked like he was scared of Lopez's size.  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Slacks said:

I missed it. Asleep on the couch early.. 'll catch a replay or highlights at some point.

I think Gervonta mops everyone in the class. He seems to be bigger, faster, stronger than the class. Like a guy who walks around at 175 but it's still fast like 130/135.

He has to move up at some point, right?

I think he’ll have to eventually even if he doesn’t want to. He had a fight at 140, but he just looked ok in it. 

3 hours ago, OB3 said:

I think he’ll have to eventually even if he doesn’t want to. He had a fight at 140, but he just looked ok in it. 

I thought that was the most anyone had even come close to challenging Davis in a fight... And his left uppercut (to the body) still won the fight.

I'm thinking Ryan Garcia has a chance only because he's a tall fighter like Barrios and that length x speed seemed to present a challenge for Davis.

2 hours ago, Slacks said:

I thought that was the most anyone had even come close to challenging Davis in a fight... And his left uppercut (to the body) still won the fight.

I'm thinking Ryan Garcia has a chance only because he's a tall fighter like Barrios and that length x speed seemed to present a challenge for Davis.

I’m interested to see how he looks against a taller fighter in Garcia at 135 instead of the 140 he fought Barrios at.

On the Garcia fight, this will be the best fighter each of them have faced in their careers. I wanna see Gervonta take this super serious, it’s a huge fight for both of them. 

Excited for the fight, finally getting a pair of Top 5 guys in there together again. Best matchup since Loma/Lopez. I'm scared for Garcia though. Could definitely see him getting KOd. I'll be completely honest, I'm hoping for the next great Mexican-American boxer, or even just post-Canelo Mexican great, and I'm not sure he's it. I'm also not sure theres anybody at 135-140-147-154 that can take those belts from the top guys there. Tank, Haney, Stevenson, Crawford, Spence, etc. 

I guess you go in and use Garcia's length? Tons of jabs and combos to keep distance and try to be fast enough to keep Tank from countering. But Garcia gonna have to find the footwork to do that. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/19/2023 at 2:01 PM, PittsburghTiger said:

So next Sunday is Jake Paul v Tommy Fury.

Is this going to be a legitimate fight?

Is Fury for real?

Or just more crap from Paul?

Anybody turned this card on yet? The first fight featured a 41-year-old guy who took zero damage and went to a knee in the first round to get counted out. Got his paycheck and bailed out with no damage. 

I think the badou jack fight will be good but if the first fight is any indication this card is going to suck

I’m glad I decided to go to the Davidson At Duquesne game.  Sounds awful. I’ve tried to be a fan of Wilder but, he’s just kind of an ass.  Learn how to throw a left jab.

38 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Anybody turned this card on yet? The first fight featured a 41-year-old guy who took zero damage and went to a knee in the first round to get counted out. Got his paycheck and bailed out with no damage. 

I think the badou jack fight will be good but if the first fight is any indication this card is going to suck

Yuck

Frustrating fight. Can't believe that knockdown off a little jab to make it dramatic. And the foot slipping. Of course that shit would happen. 

They won't show or acknowledge the rabbit punching Paul was constantly throwing, off clinches that he was definitely an active participant in instigating (if not majority). Fury deducted a point for holding the head down when Paul's technique had him ducking his head every time he stepped in off a jab. What the hell is he supposed to do? 

"a bad cut over Fury's eye now, it's those overhand right hands Paul keeps landing"....... 7 seconds later "here you can see the clash of heads that caused the cut over Fury's eye". What a joke of a promotion, but at least they got the decision correct. 

• Hook 'Em 1