Surly Boxing Thread

BigOrange1

48 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

Frustrating fight. Can't believe that knockdown off a little jab to make it dramatic. And the foot slipping. Of course that shit would happen. 

They won't show or acknowledge the rabbit punching Paul was constantly throwing, off clinches that he was definitely an active participant in instigating (if not majority). Fury deducted a point for holding the head down when Paul's technique had him ducking his head every time he stepped in off a jab. What the hell is he supposed to do? 

"a bad cut over Fury's eye now, it's those overhand right hands Paul keeps landing"....... 7 seconds later "here you can see the clash of heads that caused the cut over Fury's eye". What a joke of a promotion, but at least they got the decision correct. 

At least they deviated from the script 

1677380043083814-sp.png

• Rage+1 1

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.tmz.com/2023/03/23/tyson-fury-rips-oleksandr-usyk-after-fight-falls-apart/

This is why boxing fucking sucks.  

Usyk is an ATG.  Went into everyone else's backyards and beat them.  Cleaned out the Cruiserweight division.  Moved up to Heavyweight when they said he was too small.  Took out AJ TWICE.  All he wants to do is become Undisputed and retire.  He takes a ridiculously disrespectful 70/30 split just to make this fight happen.  Was accepting any silly requirements this fucking fat fucking mongoloid clown was coming up with.  But since Fury clearly is too chickenshit to fight this guy, it's off.  And now he goes out and pretends it was all Usyk's fault.

If another guy in your division has belts and he wants yours, you should have to fight or drop the belt.  All this playing around shit is awful for the sport.  Just leads to massive cunts like this lying and playing games because they'd rather not risk their record.   

• Rage+1 1

Impressive from Benavidez. He really seemed too strong and big for Plant. Much worse beat down than what Canelo gave Plant, can't believe he survived without a knockdown. 

Benavidez obviously the #2 guy in the division now, but as a Canelo fan I'd be nervous to see Canelo face David. He's too big and strong, he really should be fighting Bivol. I assume the only reason he makes 168 is because he's only 26. 

15 hours ago, closetohumping said:

May have to wait till Benavidez is 42

For some odd reason Canelo thinks he has a shot at beating Bivol in a rematch.

I guess if he spends a little more paying off the judges he might, but in the actual ring?  Not a fucking chance.

If we lived in a better timeline Usyk v. Fury would be happening, Crawford v. Spence would be happening, Canelo v. Benavidez would be on, and Bivol v. Beterbiev would be a barnburner at LHW.

But we don't.  

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...

He was impressive. He’s very calm, and cool, in the ring. He’s fun.

13 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

i don't see any reason that keyshawn davis isn't a future superstar.

13 hours ago, DeepEastTexas said:

He went to town on Jigit. That knee to the head helped, but that fight was never in doubt. 

On 3/23/2023 at 8:43 PM, SpiralOut said:

https://www.tmz.com/2023/03/23/tyson-fury-rips-oleksandr-usyk-after-fight-falls-apart/

This is why boxing fucking sucks.  

Usyk is an ATG.  Went into everyone else's backyards and beat them.  Cleaned out the Cruiserweight division.  Moved up to Heavyweight when they said he was too small.  Took out AJ TWICE.  All he wants to do is become Undisputed and retire.  He takes a ridiculously disrespectful 70/30 split just to make this fight happen.  Was accepting any silly requirements this fucking fat fucking mongoloid clown was coming up with.  But since Fury clearly is too chickenshit to fight this guy, it's off.  And now he goes out and pretends it was all Usyk's fault.

If another guy in your division has belts and he wants yours, you should have to fight or drop the belt.  All this playing around shit is awful for the sport.  Just leads to massive cunts like this lying and playing games because they'd rather not risk their record.   

I hate all that shit as well. It does not help one bit.

On 4/9/2023 at 10:41 AM, PittsburghTiger said:

I recorded them all last night. Just finished watching Mendoza, with a prayer shot that takes out Fundora. His face was getting peppered and he caught him with his right hand down. Boom.

Mendoza now WBC Welterweight champion.

Yeah, Fundora's defense has always been a problem.  Don't know how long he was going to avoid a brutal KO anyway since he's decided an up-close brawler style is better than staying at range.  And if you're going to repeatedly throw the uppercut, eventually you're going to get caught.  Especially if you're throwing it when the distance is wrong.  He got lazy and got obliterated. 

The other fights were fun.  Shakur is scary good.  He's going to own 135.  Haney says he's staying at 135, but I'd be bailing out to 140 if I was him.  He's having to cut too hard for 135 anyway, IMO.  

Big Baby Anderson looks like a killer.  He needs a top-level guy who doesn't have a belt.  Like maybe a Frank Sanchez or a Bakole.  

Looking forward to Juggernaut Joyce v. Big Bang Zhang this weekend.  Joyce's fighting looks downright comical with how slow he throws his punches.  But the dude's head is made of granite, he never gets tired, and eventually he just clubs you to death.  Zhang, as his name suggests, can bang, too.  Ought to be a fun one.  If Joyce wins, I hope he gets a shot at a big payday with someone like AJ.  Dude deserves it and he's already 37.

On 4/12/2023 at 11:15 PM, SpiralOut said:

Looking forward to Juggernaut Joyce v. Big Bang Zhang this weekend.  Joyce's fighting looks downright comical with how slow he throws his punches.  But the dude's head is made of granite, he never gets tired, and eventually he just clubs you to death.  Zhang, as his name suggests, can bang, too.  Ought to be a fun one.  If Joyce wins, I hope he gets a shot at a big payday with someone like AJ.  Dude deserves it and he's already 37.

Zhang by TKO in the 6th.  Doctor stoppage because Joe Joyce's right eye was fully closed.

Was a hell of a fun fight while it lasted.  Joyce, predictably, just tanked all of Zhang's shots.  Zhang actually wobbled him with a couple of them, which was surprising since that never happens to Joyce.  

Joyce just doesn't ever move his head so Zhang repeatedly pounded him with the left hand.  Like, I don't think he missed a single left hand he threw.  They all went to Joyce's right eye and it got dee-fucking-stroyed.

Turns out orbital bones and eyeballs don't know how tough of a guy you are.

Don't know where these guys go from here.  Joyce has to learn some skills, but he's already 37 so it's probably too late for that.  He can't challenge the top guys if he's just going to tank shots like he did today.  His face just won't hold up.  Zhang?  He's 30-fucking-9.  He also has zero gas tank.  Like if the doctor didn't stop it, I could see Joyce just wearing him down and winning that fight on one eye in the later rounds.  Hits like a Mack truck though.  Don't think he has the ability to hang with any of the top guys, however.  Still, hope he gets a title shot or maybe a payday against AJ.  Though I imagine Hearn wouldn't let AJ in his current poor form anywhere near a puncher of Zhang's caliber.

Davis v. Garcia next week for who has the most shine (if not the actual best skills or belts) at Lightweight!

• Hook 'Em 1

What round we got Tank finishing this fight in? 

I'm an unabashed Mexican fight fan, and as a Mexican-American, been waiting for the next Golden Boy to come through for a while now, but I'm not convinced Ryan is that guy. Watching the Showtime All-Access and I just feel more and more like Ryan is a big kid looking up to the lights hoping to be part of the show. Tank laughs at the guys he's knocked out, he has that instinct about him. Ryan gives me "If I try my hardest and do my best I just know I can do it" vibes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, BurdineBandit said:

What round we got Tank finishing this fight in? 

I'm an unabashed Mexican fight fan, and as a Mexican-American, been waiting for the next Golden Boy to come through for a while now, but I'm not convinced Ryan is that guy. Watching the Showtime All-Access and I just feel more and more like Ryan is a big kid looking up to the lights hoping to be part of the show. Tank laughs at the guys he's knocked out, he has that instinct about him. Ryan gives me "If I try my hardest and do my best I just know I can do it" vibes. 

Hard to say.

I actually think this can be a pretty tough fight for Tank if Garcia stays disciplined.  Garcia has the height and the reach.  Tank likes to take his time, doesn't mind dropping rounds, all to wait for that one hitter quitter.  Tank also leaves himself open to get hit.  Garcia's left hook is no fucking joke.  Viper quick and puts dudes down.  

Garcia's best shot is to stay disciplined, win rounds early by jabbing like a madman, and staying at range.  Don't get into any brawls.  Then, maybe, Tank gets a little desperate later in the fight to find the KO.  If he just spams that left hook and leaves his chin hanging out there like he did against Campbell, it'll be an early night.

I'll say Tank by KO in the 8th, but honestly, who the fuck knows.  Two big time hitters who ain't gonna be playing for a decision.  One mistake either way and it'll be over.

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, SpiralOut said:

Hard to say.

I actually think this can be a pretty tough fight for Tank if Garcia stays disciplined.  Garcia has the height and the reach.  Tank likes to take his time, doesn't mind dropping rounds, all to wait for that one hitter quitter.  Tank also leaves himself open to get hit.  Garcia's left hook is no fucking joke.  Viper quick and puts dudes down.  

Garcia's best shot is to stay disciplined, win rounds early by jabbing like a madman, and staying at range.  Don't get into any brawls.  Then, maybe, Tank gets a little desperate later in the fight to find the KO.  If he just spams that left hook and leaves his chin hanging out there like he did against Campbell, it'll be an early night.

I'll say Tank by KO in the 8th, but honestly, who the fuck knows.  Two big time hitters who ain't gonna be playing for a decision.  One mistake either way and it'll be over.

I agree with all of that, but my gut just tells me this is the most likely outcome. I am satisfied with Boxing this year for putting this together, Haney vs. Lomachenko,  and hopefully putting together Crawford/Spence. 

10 hours ago, BurdineBandit said:

I agree with all of that, but my gut just tells me this is the most likely outcome. I am satisfied with Boxing this year for putting this together, Haney vs. Lomachenko,  and hopefully putting together Crawford/Spence. 

I really hope Crawford/Spence comes together this year.  Two of the best guys in their game and still at their peaks.  

Also, rumors are starting to swirl that the Saudis might be funding a super event at the end of the year with Usyk/Fury and then AJ/Wilder.  Doubt it comes together, but holy hell would that be a way to cap the year.

• Hook 'Em 2

Davis with a left hook to the body in 8.

Davis and Garcia both talking about breaking each other's jaw... Unlikely.

Garcia's speed is his advantage. Garcia's power comes at the long end of his punches. I think Davis will try to keep Garcia in close, which negates Garcia's power and puts him in danger of a body shot. Garcia looked thin af yesterday. Davis has crushed bigger bodiesb than Garcia.

Garcia can catch Davis for sure. He needs to do it early and often. If Davis doesn't feel ko power, he'll likely just hunt and wait for an opening.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

Can’t say that surprises me. Tank is just better than Garcia is

Yeah, Ryan has the physical ability just not the experience.

Shot didn't really look all that hard.  Seemed like Tank short-armed it and didn't get everything on it.  Was right on the liver though.