Surly Boxing Thread

BigOrange1

13 hours ago, Slacks said:

Davis with a left hook to the body in 8.

Davis and Garcia both talking about breaking each other's jaw... Unlikely.

Garcia's speed is his advantage. Garcia's power comes at the long end of his punches. I think Davis will try to keep Garcia in close, which negates Garcia's power and puts him in danger of a body shot. Garcia looked thin af yesterday. Davis has crushed bigger bodiesb than Garcia.

Garcia can catch Davis for sure. He needs to do it early and often. If Davis doesn't feel ko power, he'll likely just hunt and wait for an opening.

Holy fuck do you know the script writers lol

Tank predicted 7 and got it done

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Halohal said:

Good fight. Expectations low since fighters were unknown to me. 

How are that unknown? Are you new to watching boxing. Not trying to say anything, but just curious. If you watch boxing at all, you know these fighters. 

• Haha 1

Body shots are killer, but Ryan looked like he could have gotten up.  Might haunt him just letting himself be counted out.  Looked like he was kinda tryin' to be done and get out of there.  

He really just had no game plan outside of the left hook.  And he was throwing it all night like Tank was a foot taller than he really is.  

Kinda worried that Tank has learned a little bit too much from his mentor, Floyd.  He's been pretty adept at avoiding the tough fights.  He's also real big into adding stipulations like he did with this fight.  Rehydration clauses, catchweights, etc.

He needs to fight the top guys in the division, but I think we might see him going to the tomato can factory route.

1 minute ago, Mo Horn said:

Couldn't believe that when I heard it. That's just wrong. 

Actually, it was the right call.

Garcia, while not dominating, was easily winning the round.  The only real shot Tank landed was the knockdown.  Thus, 10-9.  

To get a 10-8 you need to be landing more punches/winning the round AND get a knockdown.  

6 minutes ago, SpiralOut said:

Kinda worried that Tank has learned a little bit too much from his mentor, Floyd.  He's been pretty adept at avoiding the tough fights.  He's also real big into adding stipulations like he did with this fight.  Rehydration clauses, catchweights, etc.

He needs to fight the top guys in the division, but I think we might see him going to the tomato can factory route.

Unfortunately that's not how boxing works. A guy gets a bunch of wins and that equals $$$. If you want a shot at that, he's now making the rules and picking who and any of the stipulations. So use it all to your advantage. Build an empire.

I don't blame em.

https://streamable.com/tusfnj

https://streamable.com/kfeyqh

15 minutes ago, SpiralOut said:

Actually, it was the right call.

Garcia, while not dominating, was easily winning the round.  The only real shot Tank landed was the knockdown.  Thus, 10-9.  

To get a 10-8 you need to be landing more punches/winning the round AND get a knockdown.  

How bout a 10-10 round what the fuck is that

1682223121428638-sp.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

25 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Holy fuck do you know the script writers lol

Tank predicted 7 and got it done

I rewatch Davis fights a lot (like every other week) with one of my buddies... Also watched the pre fight interview and they were talking about breaking each other's jaw... Tank called out Garcia's hook being to the temple and not being anywhere near the jaw, which told me Tank was planning to go body and stay below Garcia's hook to further reduce his power.

I knew Garcia would throw a lot.

I bet my buddy last night. KO by body shot, but I thought it would be a left hand upper cut, not a straight.

Looking forward to watching it. Didn't get to see it.

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, SpiralOut said:

Body shots are killer, but Ryan looked like he could have gotten up.  Might haunt him just letting himself be counted out.  Looked like he was kinda tryin' to be done and get out of there.  

He really just had no game plan outside of the left hook.  And he was throwing it all night like Tank was a foot taller than he really is.  

Garcia said he couldn't breathe.

Yeah, Garcia's game plan of LH played right into Davis's strength and took away Garcia's real tactical advantages of speed and length.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Unfortunately that's not how boxing works. A guy gets a bunch of wins and that equals $$$. If you want a shot at that, he's now making the rules and picking who and any of the stipulations. So use it all to your advantage. Build an empire.

I don't blame em.

https://streamable.com/tusfnj

https://streamable.com/kfeyqh

How bout a 10-10 round what the fuck is that

1682223121428638-sp.jpg

Yeah, 10-10 don't make a lick of sense.

But that's judging in boxing.  Good gig if you can get it since there is absolutely zero accountability.

Bivol beat the fucking brakes off Canelo for every round of their fight a few months back.  I legit scored it 120-108 for Bivol.  If you wanted to be generous to Canelo you could have given him one of the early rounds where they were feelin' each other out.  Somehow, every single judge scored all of the first four rounds for Canelo.  Funny how that works.

When the fix is in, it's in, but even when it ain't the judging is still all over the place.  Over on Reddit/Instagram there's some guys that have been promoting their AI punch tracking program.  And it is actually the real deal.  Tracks heavy hits, what kind of punch landed (jab, etc), and all sorts of other shit and it does a really good job.  The sooner boxing drops the promoter paid judging the better.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CrQHfcEKXtM/

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Slacks said:

Garcia said he couldn't breathe.

Yeah, Garcia's game plan of LH played right into Davis's strength and took away Garcia's real tactical advantages of speed and length.

After watching the replay a few times it looks like it might have cracked a rib? 

Kid just wasn't ready for an experienced guy like Tank.  His defense is leaky as fuck.  He's damn fast with his punches and he has some power, but his footwork is bad and he just leaves himself open too much.  

Garcia needed some more fights before he stepped up to this level.  Especially since he was kinda inactive leading up to this.  Though I'm firmly in the camp of not giving a fuck if a guy has a loss or two on his record.  Garcia pushed for the fight and got it and we got to see two undefeated guys go at it in an entertaining fight.  More guys need to be willing to do this.  All this ducking and running and waiting until guys age out of their prime is ruining the sport.  

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, SpiralOut said:

Yeah, 10-10 don't make a lick of sense.

But that's judging in boxing.  Good gig if you can get it since there is absolutely zero accountability.

Bivol beat the fucking brakes off Canelo for every round of their fight a few months back.  I legit scored it 120-108 for Bivol.  If you wanted to be generous to Canelo you could have given him one of the early rounds where they were feelin' each other out.  Somehow, every single judge scored all of the first four rounds for Canelo.  Funny how that works.

When the fix is in, it's in, but even when it ain't the judging is still all over the place.  Over on Reddit/Instagram there's some guys that have been promoting their AI punch tracking program.  And it is actually the real deal.  Tracks heavy hits, what kind of punch landed (jab, etc), and all sorts of other shit and it does a really good job.  The sooner boxing drops the promoter paid judging the better.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CrQHfcEKXtM/

Isn't it commission judges and refs? It's the state sanctioning the fight. Good ole government keeping everything legit lol.

Yeah MMA needs to drop traditional judges and scoring too. Boxing with 12 rounds is fine for 10-9 system.

For MMA I'd like to see just picking the winner. 3 round fights if it's an even round I hate to see it count to one side or the other. Also the judges aren't trained in MMA they are martial arts or boxing and usually don't know how to score the work on the ground.

11 hours ago, Zeus said:

I don't blame em.

That's why I stopped keeping up with boxing. It's why millions of people have stopped keeping up with boxing. The inmates run the asylum. Much like the NBA which went from being my favorite sport to watch in the late 90s to I barely know it's around these days. 

50 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

That's why I stopped keeping up with boxing. It's why millions of people have stopped keeping up with boxing.

well, that and the fact that the fighters, year after year, are getting worse at the sport and the fans don’t know what they are looking at either. 

Worth a listen for this group - count me firmly in the group that believes an average big city champ from the 30’s-50’s would wipe the floor with most of the fighters that are world class today, probably while putting the audience to sleep. An audience raised on Mike Tyson that enjoys the human cockfight of UFC would have no frame of reference to understand a Willie Pep or Charlie Burley. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

well, that and the fact that the fighters, year after year, are getting worse at the sport and the fans don’t know what they are looking at either. 

Worth a listen for this group - count me firmly in the group that believes an average big city champ from the 30’s-50’s would wipe the floor with most of the fighters that are world class today, probably while putting the audience to sleep. An audience raised on Mike Tyson that enjoys the human cockfight of UFC would have no frame of reference to understand a Willie Pep or Charlie Burley. 

What a great listen!  Thanks for that, man.

Yeah, it's almost comical how bad most boxers are today.  And not just in how they don't have those old school skills the greats of the past had.  A lot of the upper echelon of boxers today have almost no basic skills.  

Take that Joe Joyce v. Zhang fight from last week.  Joe Joyce before that fight was an interim belt holder and a future mandatory for Usyk.  He was considered to be a Top 5 Heavyweight.  Zhang, who turns 40 soon, has no gas tank, isn't considered some slick boxer, and is just rated as having decent power.  He annihilated Joyce over six rounds by just repeatedly throwing a straight left hand.  No feints.  No quick footwork.  No bob and weave.  Just smashed the left hand to Joyce's eye repeatedly until it looked like a blown up blueberry.  Joyce, a Top 5 guy, had no ability whatsoever to dodge a single, repeated punch.  

I think a lot of it just comes down to, like was mentioned, current guys just don't ever fight.  They have some sort amateur career where they bash the heads in of cans and their physical abilities carry them.  Then they turn pro and smash some more cans because the promoter needs an undefeated prospect to get some hype going.  So these guys are low double digit wins and fighting for titles (title bloat being another problem where every Tom, Dick, and Harry has a belt).  Except the guys holding the belts ALSO don't have a depth of experience.  And once you get a belt and some notoriety, it's in your best interest to hardly ever fight and when you do, fight guys you easily outclass.  The money is too good at that point.  

That's why I've always rated Usyk so well.  Dude had 300+ amateur fights before turning pro.  He doesn't go in for killing guys with a knockout punch.  He uses speed and skill to outmaneuver all his opponents.  It's why I knew a guy like AJ had almost no chance against him.  A blown up dude who looks like he belongs on a stage at Mr. Olympia instead of inside a boxing ring.  He's slow, stiff, and a sitting duck for a smaller, quicker fighter.  It's the reason Tyson Fury wants no part of a fight with Usyk.

On a side note, Dan and Silver bang on Mike Tyson a bit, but Tyson himself has talked numerous times about how he's nothing compared to the greats of the past.  

It's kinda wild to think about how most top guys today will retire with somewhere around 30 pro-fights.  Of which, only a handful were meaningful bouts against "top" competition.  Whereas guys in ages past fought HUNDREDS of times.  

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, SpiralOut said:

It's kinda wild to think about how most top guys today will retire with somewhere around 30 pro-fights.  Of which, only a handful were meaningful bouts against "top" competition.  Whereas guys in ages past fought HUNDREDS of times. 

And they were able to, in many cases because if they were good enough to sustain a career they were also good enough not to get hit the way fighters get hit today. Guys today just eat punches like crazy, Tyson Fury being a notable exception among heavies.

On your point about retiring with 30 pro fights. When Floyd Patterson (managed by future Tyson manager/father figure Cus D'Amato) fought Archie Moore for the light heavyweight and heavyweight titles (Moore held both) in late 1956 to become the youngest champ in history, people thought he had been brought along too fast, because at that point he only had 31 professional fights, his only loss being to former champ Joey Maxim 2 years earlier. 

Watch the 4th and 5th in sequence. This is what boxing was.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 4/23/2023 at 11:58 AM, Hermanator said:

That's why I stopped keeping up with boxing. It's why millions of people have stopped keeping up with boxing. The inmates run the asylum. Much like the NBA which went from being my favorite sport to watch in the late 90s to I barely know it's around these days. 

And now, we will get Jake Paul v Nate (or Nick, I forget his name) Diaz from MMA. And they will have PPV and announcers will treat it like a real boxing match.

2 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

And now, we will get Jake Paul v Nate (or Nick, I forget his name) Diaz from MMA. And they will have PPV and announcers will treat it like a real boxing match.

There's always been freak show matches. Jack Dempsey was fighting wrestlers. Ali vs Anoki. Etc.

Those don't bother me and wouldn't be an issue if boxing got a centralized governing body that sets up universal rules, the pay percentages, and matchups that a boxer can take or face a suspension/gets stripped of the title. And get rid of alphabet belts and just have 3 in each weight class.

Now only 1 or 2 matchups in a good year are worth watching and in a lot of years nothing is worth watching. This year got a couple with this past Saturday and Lomachenko vs Haney. Should have had Fury vs Usyk but the lack of structure allows Fury to puss out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

apparently garcia and davis did 1.2 million ppv buys.  that's a pretty strong number.

People will still pay to watch a marquee fight especially between 2 undefeated guys with big personalities. They just won't watch the next 364 to 729 days until the next one. 

On 4/26/2023 at 11:00 PM, BigOrange1 said:

apparently garcia and davis did 1.2 million ppv buys.  that's a pretty strong number.

Crazy numbers.  Even Canelo hasn't sniffed those type of numbers since his first go around with GGG.

These boxers have to figure this social media shit out and they've got to start making big fights.  An up-an-coming mid-tier fighter like Garcia just took home BANK not even fighting for a belt.  Meanwhile, hardly anyone that ain't deep in the boxing scene knows who Bud Crawford/Errol Spence even are, much less how big of a fight that would be.

We've got a sure-fire HoFer and the guy holding all the belts in the same weight class as Davis/Garcia fighting next month and they won't get anywhere close to 1.2m PPV buys.

• 3 weeks later...

Whoa, boxing horrible decisions strike again. I had it 116-112 or 117-111. Haney did very little other than some body shots. Lomachenko pieced him up from the inside for most of the rounds and had him wobbly in the 11th. 

This is why UFC has far overtaken boxing. Even when boxing has a big night bad decisions are there to make everyone cringe and walk away

7 hours ago, closetohumping said:

This isn’t a flame but you have like a 10 point swing with the judges.   That’s crazy

"I had it 9 rounds to 3 but I could see it being a draw." Facepalm. Also people taking issue with whether a decision was "unanimous" instead of contesting actual rounds is when they out themselves.

I thought it was a really good fight, and expected a draw tbh, was really close and didn't like how Loma gave away the last round. Haney turned it up and Loma trird to dance around. Im sure he was exhausted but that was the nail in the coffin.

On 5/21/2023 at 12:02 AM, hobbes2702 said:

I didn’t think it was crazy scoring but I think the wrong guy won. No way should it have been unanimous. I had it 117-111 Loma but could see someone having draw.

Sorry, but 117-111 is crazy talk.

Fight was extremely close.  I thought Loma took it down the stretch.  Though, he did the same thing that cost him against Teofimo by taking the 12th round off.

Moretti's card was a fucking crime.  Of course, this is expected.  Young undefeated guy that they're going to make money off of for a long-time is always getting the nod over the 35 year old at the tail-end of his career.  Not as blatant a robbery as Weeks stopping the fight for no reason so Romero could beat Barroso.  How are you giving the 10th to Haney?  Supposedly Loma's camp asked for Moretti to be replaced and they got told to fuck off.  

Haney boxed fairly well, but he ain't it.  He let an older, much smaller fighter bully him and put him in severe trouble late.  If Haney can't do the ol' hug and hold he has severe weaknesses.  No power.  Bad head movement (Loma lit him up with the left all night).  Not very durable.  Shakur takes him to school.  Tank decapitates him.  Which is why he's gonna go runnin' to 140.  

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...