Surly Boxing Thread

BigOrange1

Finally watched 11 rounds yesterday (that's all I found on YT). I had Rounds 1,4,8, 10, 11 for GGG and 2, 3, 5, 7, 9 for Canelo. Round 6 was my tightest swing round, I couldn't call it, and I hear 12 was mostly GGG, but I didn't see it. That's pretty f'n even. If Canelo gets round 6 and GGG round 12 that's a draw on my book.

I really hope Canelo gets his love when he's done. I already know GGG is the people's champ and will be revered, because he's revered now, but Canelo in the 5th round (after a huge 4th from GGG) coming on and stalking GGG, walking him down, is something I've never seen before. You don't stalk GGG, you go and "be a good boy" and go to sleep, supposedly. Round 11 was pretty great too, GGG starts throwing 3-4 punch combinations, starts getting some momentum and then Canelo revs up his engine and slows GGG back down. What a great matchup.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Floyd Mayweather Jr. announced Monday in Tokyo that he has agreed to a bout in the Rizin Fighting Federation.

Mayweather will fight on Dec. 31 at Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan.

Both Mayweather and his opponent, Tenshin Nasukawa, were introduced at a news conference in Tokyo by Rizin officials.

It was not clear whether it will be a boxing match, an MMA fight or some other combat sport. The promoters said they were still working on the specific rule set.

Prior to the announcement, Mayweather posted a photo on Instagram of himself wearing Rizin gloves with the caption, "December 31st 2018 #Tokyo"

Nasukawa is an undefeated 20-year-old who recently beat former UFC fighter Kyoji Horiguchi in a kickboxing match.

Clown show. 

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone watching Hooker and Saucedo? Hooker got knocked down in round 2. Round 5 Hooker just danced on the ropes but didn’t look like Saucedo did much at all to hurt him. Been really good so far. Hooker probably down in rounds but looks like he might put Saucedo down at some point.
Was watching last night. Everyone of the free fights on ESPN that I have watched has been highly entertaining.

• 2 weeks later...

Tyson Fury got up just like the Undertaker.  I don't know how the fuck he got up from that shit. 

Wilder was completely gassed or he would have finished Fury in the 12th.

Fury probably deserved that win, even with the two knockdowns.  He was working Wilder the entire time.

And congrats to Olexsander Gvodzk on knocking out Adonis Stephenson earlier in the night.  Nice dude with a lot of talent and has Teddy Atlas in his corner.  These Ukrainians ain't nothing to fuck with.

5 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Garbage decision. Even with the knockdowns Wilder won maybe three rounds. Fury dominated the fight

yeah, this is the only answer. but i predicted the split decision (simply because that's what always happens in a fight like this)- just not the draw. still not surprised. leave it to boxing to once again fuck it up and tell you that you didn't see what you just saw. rematch should be good though.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Goo Punch said:

yeah, this is the only answer. but i predicted the split decision- just not the draw. still not surprised. leave it to boxing to once again fuck it up and tell you that you didn't see what you just saw. rematch should be good though.

Golovkin is sitting watching this decision going "Yep.  I've seen this shit before."

Unless your name is Floyd Mayweather, you better put your opponent to sleep if you want to ensure you get the victory.  If you ever let it go to the judges you can't count on shit.

Edited by SpiralOut

Boxing continues to shit on itself as a sport with decisions like this. This was a pretty big title fight and a heavyweight bout at that. Now we get another two years of Joshua beating up scrubs while we wait for a rematch. And then maybe we get a fight for a truly unified heavyweight champion. 

I always thought Wilder was nothing more than a wild ass bomber in a historically weak division and he'd get killed by King Kong Ortiz ....then Wilder beat him ...and now Wilder probably should have lost that decision tonight ...I don't know what to think about that weight division other than it kind of stinks 

9 minutes ago, michaelpshayes said:

I always thought Wilder was nothing more than a wild ass bomber in a historically weak division and he'd get killed by King Kong Ortiz ....then Wilder beat him ...and now Wilder probably should have lost that decision tonight ...I don't know what to think about that weight division other than it kind of stinks 

Wilder got his ass kicked a good bit by Ortiz in that fight and was losing on rounds until the KO. The size of Fury is a huge problem for Wilder. That and Wilder still can’t fucking box after 41 professional fights. I don’t see anyway Wilder could stand in against Joshua.

4 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Wilder got his ass kicked a good bit by Ortiz in that fight and was losing on rounds until the KO. The size of Fury is a huge problem for Wilder. That and Wilder still can’t fucking box after 41 professional fights. I don’t see anyway Wilder could stand in against Joshua.

Yeah, it's rather amazing how poor a boxer Wilder is after this many fights.  Dude just wildly swings until he lands one upside your head.  Has no jab to speak of.  Has no real defense. 

Of course, it doesn't really matter because of how poor the heavyweight division is.  He's been able to rack up 40 wins and 39KOs doing the same basic shit. 

3 minutes ago, SpiralOut said:

Yeah, it's rather amazing how poor a boxer Wilder is after this many fights.  Dude just wildly swings until he lands one upside your head.  Has no jab to speak of.  Has no real defense. 

Of course, it doesn't really matter because of how poor the heavyweight division is.  He's been able to rack up 40 wins and 39KOs doing the same basic shit. 

Very true. It shows you his lack of quality that Fury can take a three year hiatus to do drugs and come back and dominate Wilder after two warm up fights. Someone tell Loma to gain a hundred pounds and challenge him

3 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Boxing continues to shit on itself as a sport with decisions like this. This was a pretty big title fight and a heavyweight bout at that. Now we get another two years of Joshua beating up scrubs while we wait for a rematch. And then maybe we get a fight for a truly unified heavyweight champion. 

It's boxing though.  We never learn.

5 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Amazing how fury got up in the 12th like he got resurrected at a gypsy seance

It looked like pro wrasslin', Wilder was doing his dancing and showboating and then he saw him get up and looked over in horror. He knew he was too far down on the points to win with just that knockdown. 

Gypsy King looked like he legit got shut off for a second, but he was being dramatic with how he was laying there, fully conscious. He's such a pro he even knows how to milk a knockdown for maximum recovery. Then he gets up and looks like he could go 3 more rounds. Crazy for a dude his size

23 hours ago, SpiralOut said:

Golovkin is sitting watching this decision going "Yep.  I've seen this shit before."

Unless your name is Floyd Mayweather, you better put your opponent to sleep if you want to ensure you get the victory.  If you ever let it go to the judges you can't count on shit.

Who has Golovkin ever lost to that he beat 11 rounds to 1? 

Good scrap. Went all according to script (power vs. boxing skills script) aside from the questionable decision. I was rooting for Wilder, but yes Fury probably still deserved a win after that fight. 

1 hour ago, BurdineBandit said:

Who has Golovkin ever lost to that he beat 11 rounds to 1? 

Good scrap. Went all according to script (power vs. boxing skills script) aside from the questionable decision. I was rooting for Wilder, but yes Fury probably still deserved a win after that fight. 

Just commenting on the judges screwing fighters over.

And Golovkin beat the piss out of Canelo in their first match.  He was all over him from start to finish and it took the most outrageous scorecard anyone has ever seen from one judge (even worse than the Mexican judge in this fight) to make it a draw.  Hell, the scorecard that had it a draw in Golovkin v. Canelo 1 was criminal in and of itself.  Was it as lopsided as this fight?  No.  Still awful though.