Surly Boxing Thread

BigOrange1

I haven’t yet.  Tyson had one quality that no boxer since has possessed:  if he was fighting, it was must watch tv for the casual sports fan who really could not give a fuck about boxing otherwise. I say this as someone whose former pro boxer grandfather made him fight in Golden Gloves as a teenager, but boxing lost me about 10 years ago.  I checked in on this thread randomly to see the comments about this fight.  I’ll be watching Mr. Wilder going forward.

10 minutes ago, futureman said:

yeah but wilder is fighting chumps.   mike in his prime would put wilder on the canvas early.  

Folks are arguing against something I am not saying. I only said that one punch by Wilder was as devastating as any punch I have ever seen. One punch, one recipient, that's all.

I don't care about Tyson vs. Wilder, that's not the issue. I was addressing - one punch, and one punch only.

And, Tyson fought his share of chumps as well.

Joshua needs to fire his trainer and training staff and get with someone who is going to have him stop lifing so much and work a ton on cardio and footwork. He fought a dude who was extremely overweight and he was the one getting gassed. That's embarrassing as hell. 

Also fuck Wilder if he doesn't start fighting real guys soon. Fury is the only fighter he's faced that wasn't a tomato can and Fury beat him. Bullshit judges got blinded by late knockdown but Fury dominated that fight. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Folks are arguing against something I am not saying. I only said that one punch by Wilder was as devastating as any punch I have ever seen. One punch, one recipient, that's all.

I don't care about Tyson vs. Wilder, that's not the issue. I was addressing - one punch, and one punch only.

And, Tyson fought his share of chumps as well.

I think you have recency bias. 

Lol. Fuck Joshua and fuck their fight. That's their problem if they didn't get it done. Calling Ruiz Butterbean is laughable too, he'd smash that 4-round clown. He took Joshua into the 7th round and finished his ass off and somehow appeared to be in better physical "condition" since about round 3. Ruiz has fast hands and knows how to time a counterpunch, and that's why he's at this level.

From a boxing standpoint, that first knockdown was a thing of beauty, the bob to the left and load up the left hook, dropped it like a hammer. Otherwise I was surprised how unprepared Joshua was for the rage combos Ruiz fired. It seemed like a couple (if not all) of the knockdowns came off of Joshua landing a big punch and missing a follow up and Ruiz just getting pissed and letting 5-6 punches go (pretty fucking fast at that). The only thing Joshua could've done different is be more cautious after landing a big one, which isn't really a strategy (you want to follow up and keep him hurt).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, futureman said:

I think you have recency bias. 

No. I don't. I taped most of Tyson's fights, and I still have them. You are ignoring that I still am referring to just one punch by Wilder. I don't care anything else about him. That one punch was clean and devastating. And yes, Tyson did fight his share of chumps, every great fighter has.

1 hour ago, smuggs said:

Uppercuts are brutal.

Joshua is lucky that Ruiz apparently can't throw one.

He can, but his style and size doesn't put him in a position to throw many.  Tyson threw a bunch of uppercuts because he fought peek-a-boo, which is highly unusual for heavyweights because it comes with a ton of strategic disadvantages to go with many tactical advantages. 

Look, Ruiz is a legit, top level contender in a bad division. Think of it this way - there are always 3-4 guys in the middleweight division in their prime who could credibly be called "great fighters" and another 3-4 coming up who you can see becoming great.  In the heavyweigh division you are as likely to have no great fighters as you are to have two, or even one, at any given time. 

In 1981, the best welterweights in the world were Sugar Ray Leonard, Thomas Hearns, Roberto Duran, Wilfred Benitez and Aaron Pryor.  The best heavyweights were Larry Holmes, Mike Weaver, and Gerry Cooney.

We think of the 70s as a golden age because it's the ONLY time there have been 3 great heavyweights (Ali, Frazier, Foreman) at the same time in their prime, and even then it was obvious that the group coming up weren't quite as good. By the late 80s you still had a lot of attention on the sport but things had reverted to the norm and have stayed ever since.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, jeevsie said:

That's Spinks, isn't it?  Seems like a half ass DA should be able to get a conviction for that punch.

Jose Ribalta. 2nd round and he popped right back up and got annihilated for another 8 rounds before they called it.

Anthony Joshua would not have existed in Tyson's world. 

22 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Look, Ruiz is a legit, top level contender in a bad division. Think of it this way - there are always 3-4 guys in the middleweight division in their prime who could credibly be called "great fighters" and another 3-4 coming up who you can see becoming great.  In the heavyweigh division you are as likely to have no great fighters as you are to have two, or even one, at any given time. 

In 1981, the best welterweights in the world were Sugar Ray Leonard, Thomas Hearns, Roberto Duran, Wilfred Benitez and Aaron Pryor.  The best heavyweights were Larry Holmes, Mike Weaver, and Gerry Cooney.

We think of the 70s as a golden age because it's the ONLY time there have been 3 great heavyweights (Ali, Frazier, Foreman) at the same time in their prime, and even then it was obvious that the group coming up weren't quite as good. By the late 80s you still had a lot of attention on the sport but things had reverted to the norm and have stayed ever since.

This guy knows what he's talking about. As bad as Tyson was (was he bad? somebody sad he was bad), he's remembered for knocking out a bunch of random faces before meeting the past-his-prime Larry Holmes and then the only other true greats in Lennox Lewis and Evander. Heavyweight isn't a great division to see great fighters all the time. Tony Tucker, Spinks, Frank Bruno, are any of those guys even talked about these days other than being Tyson fodder? Nobody will remember them.

I use that same logic to temper the "legacy" of GGG a bit as well. He came up in a shitty MW period that is just now starting to overlap with Canelo's rise. It's not completely his fault, but I can't help but think whether he would've earned his place in the HOF as easily during the MW era of 2008-2012, where names like Jermain Taylor, B-Hop, Kelly Pavlik,  Paul Williams, Sergio Martinez, maybe even Arthur Abraham, etc. He's actually the age of taylor/pavlik/martinez/williams but just didn't come over to the USA in time.

He was bad... But according to Teddy he was more freak than fighter and every time Tyson couldn't roll over someone and was tested with resistance he folded because he didn't have the fortitude of a fighter. 

And really he has a point. 

Edited by Junior Miller
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, BurdineBandit said:

This guy knows what he's talking about. As bad as Tyson was (was he bad? somebody sad he was bad), he's remembered for knocking out a bunch of random faces before meeting the past-his-prime Larry Holmes and then the only other true greats in Lennox Lewis and Evander. Heavyweight isn't a great division to see great fighters all the time. Tony Tucker, Spinks, Frank Bruno, are any of those guys even talked about these days other than being Tyson fodder? Nobody will remember them.

I use that same logic to temper the "legacy" of GGG a bit as well. He came up in a shitty MW period that is just now starting to overlap with Canelo's rise. It's not completely his fault, but I can't help but think whether he would've earned his place in the HOF as easily during the MW era of 2008-2012, where names like Jermain Taylor, B-Hop, Kelly Pavlik,  Paul Williams, Sergio Martinez, maybe even Arthur Abraham, etc. He's actually the age of taylor/pavlik/martinez/williams but just didn't come over to the USA in time.

Except GGG is a real tough fighter who no doubt beat Canelo in the first fight but got screwed big time by the Golden Boy corruption machine. 

• Like 2

On 6/4/2019 at 4:46 PM, Junior Miller said:

He was bad... But according to Teddy he was more freak than fighter and every time Tyson couldn't roll over someone and was tested with resistance he folded because he didn't have the fortitude of a fighter. 

And really he has a point. 

Wow, he said that in his mind, Iron Mike was 0-5 in real fights. 

Aluminum Mike?

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Fuck You 1