do any of you assholes love Steve Winwood the way I love Steve Winwood?

Gil Bang

6 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I still really like that song, even if the sax solo sounds a little bit of a rip off from Aretha's "Respect." 

Funny enough, I played the sax solo from Respect in a concert once.

4 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

When he came out and did Can’t Find My Way Home with the Heartbreakers it was one of the highlights of my concert going life.

Well fuck me, for some reason I always thought those were Clapton's vocals.  I fell in love with that song when I first saw the closing credits of Fandango.

I saw him at ACL Fest and he was doing a lot of Arc of the Diver stuff.  When that came out I was a kid and it sounded like "old guy rock."  I appreciate it now that I'm an old guy.  

I saw him with Clapton in 2009 when they toured together and that was a great show. 

• Like 1

Back in the 80s my mom jammed the shit out of the Roll With It album so that started my love. Then the older I got I learned he was in Traffic (among others) and got into them.

Seen him a couple times as an opener and saw Dave Mason last year in concert.

Back in the 80s my mom jammed the shit out of the Roll With It album so that started my love. Then the older I got I learned he was in Traffic (among others) and got into them.

Seen him a couple times as an opener and saw Dave Mason last year in concert.

Forgot how great Dave Mason’s Alone Together album is.

“Alone Together is the debut solo album by former Traffic member Dave Mason, released in 1970. Mason was joined on the album by a roster of guest musicians, including Bonnie Bramlett, Leon Russell, Jim Capaldi, Rita Coolidge, Carl Radle and Jim Gordon. The song "Only You Know and I Know" reached number #42 on the Billboard charts in the US and was the record's major commercial success”

Hell yeah. Arc of a Diver is a beautiful gem and Roll With It is a seriously underrated album. Traffic, SDG, and Blind Faith all BEFORE ever making a solo record.

Have most of his Traffic stuff but his solo stuff was a bit too Pop for my tastes at the time. Always thought he was supremely talented. Wife drug me to a Starplex concert and he was great.
f7ede0c9209192f9b6b58c426a5b29bf.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 3/28/2023 at 8:39 AM, G650 said:

Funny enough, I played the sax solo from Respect in a concert once.

Mrs. Brat played the sax when she was in the Southwest Texas State band 60 years ago. 
They led the parade on Pennsylvania Avenue for LBJ’s 1965 Inauguration. 
ncsb/

• Like 1

Maybe 2010 he was with his band with the Brazilian guitarist, at the Mountain Winery above San Jose.  We drove down from San Ramon and arrived way early, before parking was even open.  But they were sympathetic and let us in.  With drinks in hand we were walking behind the stage when the band comes up and does a 5 song sound check.  Just for us.  Hard to believe this happened.  

I might be as big a fan as Brat.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...