2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

1 hour ago, UTexasFight said:

I expect the pitching to be down borderline significantly from last year.

I think we’ll look back and see 2022 was a career year for guys up and down that staff.

I don't know. I see Javier having a better season than last year (just by virtue of throwing more innings), Garcia and Urquidy being better than last year, Brown being a hell of a lot better than Odo and whatever other riff raff ocasionally got run out there and LMJ being about the same.  That leaves Framber as worse (that was likely his career year) and the difference in the starting rotation as difference in quality between JV going down to Brown, plus whatever the net tangible difference is between Framber likely down and the other guys likely up.

In the bullpen yeah- it won't be as good as last year.  Bullpen is always volatile. But there are enough dudes down there and arms aren't that hard to get at the deadline (bullpen arms in walk years) that I think we won't have any hard time finding 4 dudes in the bully by the time the playoffs roll around.  And as I always say on here- you only really need 8 guys in a series in your path to a victory as far as arms go.  Pretty comfortable that these guys will be part of an 8 that we will be pretty comfortable with:  Javier, Framber, Brown, Garcia, Abreu, Presley.  That means you only need to find 2 more guys you are comfortable with out of: LMJ, Urquidy, Whitley, Maton, Stanek, Moreno, Neris, Martinez, Blanco, whoever you want to trade for if it doesn't look likely you have 4 starters and 4 relievers you are going to trust in October.  That's not a heavy lift based upon what we have on hand imo.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Felix said:

Dude, I like you as a poster but you're seriously bitching out in this thread.  Smoke a bowl or something and relax.  If it's still shitty in a month then you can lose your shit.

I’m really not losing my shit; just expressing frustration with the off-season negligence (though I tried to remain optimistic) that has led to a team that is probably heading for 85-90 wins.

But, point taken, I’m being a bit of a beating here, I’m not here to ruin yalls good time, so I’ll shut the fuck up with the critical things. 

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I don't know. I see Javier having a better season than last year (just by virtue of throwing more innings), Garcia and Urquidy being better than last year, Brown being a hell of a lot better than Odo and whatever other riff raff ocasionally got run out there and LMJ being about the same. 

Gonna have to ask you to show your work here…

Just now, Hank Chinaski said:

Gonna have to ask you to show your work here…

Just about the place in time in their aging curve and big league experience where they should be getting better and/or at their absolute apex.  Also- I think the rock the baby bullshit was stupid and he ends up better off for ditching it.  It's a hunch.  

6 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I’m really not losing my shit; just expressing frustration with the off-season negligence (though I tried to remain optimistic) that has led to a team that is probably heading for 85-90 wins.

But, point taken, I’m being a bit of a beating here, I’m not here to ruin yalls good time, so I’ll shut the fuck up with the critical things. 

I don't think you are wrong to be critical. Everything you said is correct.  They dicked around.  The Brantley signing was dumb.  They left 22M under the cap.  they punted on improving in the OF (or DH if you want to call Yordan a LF) in 2 different spots and at catcher.  They spent more than they should have probably in the bullpen on Moreno when those guys are a crap shoot and he's had 1 good season and they didn't get in on a lot of talent that was of the second tier- non 300M variety that could have made the team better. All that is true.  I just don't think it lowers us to an 85-90 win team unless a lot more than is presently wrong goes wrong...

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I think we'd have to start like 0-10 before I had any sense of panic about this team.

That would involve losing seven straight at home to the White Sox and Tigers before losing the next three at the Twins. Whether history suggests it makes sense or not, I reserve the right to freak out well before getting to that point. I think we'll likely be 5-5 over that stretch. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Planet Houston said:

The fuck does Chas have to do to play the first couple of days? He should have been out there last night as an honor/thank you above anything else. 

Well last night, it was because Meyers had a better chance of hitting Cease’s fastball. Because gut feeling.

Tonight, I’m sure there’s an equally well-reasoned explanation.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Y’all slap dicks are losing sight on the most important thing that happened last night. The new magnet schedule is on my fridge for the next year. Focus boys …..

IMG_3761.jpeg

Is that magnet huge?  It looks huge.  Also, not a panel-ready SubZero?!!

8 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

Blue missed a called strike and costs us a run. All the changes but they still let nimrods behind the plate. 

Next change needs to be computerized balls and strikes. Big league tennis no longer uses linemen to make calls. System can call them within a fraction of an inch. Long overdue. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Next change needs to be computerized balls and strikes. Big league tennis no longer uses linemen to make calls. System can call them within a fraction of an inch. Long overdue. 

Yeah. I pretty sure it’s coming at some point. Balls and strikes are just one of those things to bitch about. They probably even out over time.