2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

Ohtani seems pretty straight up. I doubt he’ll string the Angels along. He signed with the wrong team. Shit happens, but all the indicators were there with Trout’s career. 

Imagine you can’t win with Mickey Mantle and the best two way player in the history of baseball. It would kill a normal man, but not a billionaire like Moreno. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Believe me when you will, but Forest Whitley is going to dominate. 

It took a while to get here, but yeah, he's likely going to finally hit. He and Ronel mean Urquidy should be available at the deadline for a bat.

Edited by HtownHorn

30 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Ohtani seems pretty straight up. I doubt he’ll string the Angels along. He signed with the wrong team. Shit happens, but all the indicators were there with Trout’s career. 

Imagine you can’t win with Mickey Mantle and the best two way player in the history of baseball. It would kill a normal man, but not a billionaire like Moreno. 

Any team (outside the west coast) that trades for him is getting a rental, he's going to sign with a west Coast team, i.e. Mariners, Dodgers, Giants, or Padres.

The 2 moves I would have made that they didn’t were signing a catcher who can hit and adding a SP.  My choices based on how the market played out would have been Omar Narvaez at C and Andrew Heaney or Mike Minor at P.  Narvaez is out 2 months with an injury, Heaney got blown the fuck up in his first start, and Minor is still unsigned.  So I’m glad I’m not the GM.

The Astros ended the offseason with 6 hitters who projected to be extremely good and another 2 who performed well as everyday players last season, with their 9th projected everyday hitter being their defensive-minded C who apparently has incredible intangibles in gameplanning and pitcher management.  Their bench projected a competition between 2 of their top 5 prospects for the backup C spot, their previous starting CF who is returning from injury, a utility player who is Dusty Baker’s son’s friend, and a wide open competition for the 13th spot (with Hensley in the pole position based on his playoff performance and versatility).  Prior to Brantley and Altuve getting hurt, any criticism of their position player roster construction was picking nits or whining about the quality of the 12th and 13th guys.  After Brantley and Altuve getting hurt, the pickings to replace them were extremely slim.

The pitching side was similar.  Prior to McCullers getting hurt, they projected 6 effective SP and 7 relievers returning from one of the best bullpens in league history, backed by a deep stable of SP slotted for AAA.  Before McCullers got hurt the worst thing that could be said was that they didn’t have a proven lefty for the pen, but again that’s picking nits.

No team can lose a player of Altuve’s importance without feeling it, so this team very well could be in a division dogfight after 50 games.  But they have the depth and resources to weather it over the long haul.  This team will be fine.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Any team (outside the west coast) that trades for him is getting a rental, he's going to sign with a west Coast team, i.e. Mariners, Dodgers, Giants, or Padres.

Probably, but the crazy ass Mets owner might make him a offer that other teams won’t match…

2 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Publicly the pitchers seem to disagree with you on Maldy. Even if factually correct, the mental/placebo effect could be just as powerful for the staff if they believe it. 

Not disagreeing with that at all.  But that's more on Dusty not playing anyone over him.  Did anyone else notice how much that conversation went down as Vazquez started to prove himself?  He's a very solid defensive catcher, and he is very involved with the pitching coaches on the game plan.  My sincere believe is that's where this myth comes from.  Nevermind that the pitchers stats haven't really changed when he's not the catcher

Edited by uoftorange
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, uoftorange said:

Did anyone notice how much that conversation went down as Vazquez started to prove himself?  He's a very solid defensive catcher, and he is very involved with the pitching coaches on the game plan.  My sincere believe is that's where this myth comes from.  Nevermind that the pitchers stats haven't really changed when he's not the catcher

I believe that maldy runs all the pitchers meetings / game planning 

3 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

I believe that maldy runs all the pitchers meetings / game planning 

I believe that is correct.  I also believe that is the norm across the league for a starting catcher but could just be the more elite defensive guys.  I know Molina and Realmulto have been said to do that

The 2 moves I would have made that they didn’t were signing a catcher who can hit and adding a SP.  My choices based on how the market played out would have been Omar Narvaez at C and Andrew Heaney or Mike Minor at P.  Narvaez is out 2 months with an injury, Heaney got blown the fuck up in his first start, and Minor is still unsigned.  So I’m glad I’m not the GM.

God damn me too....those dudes are all ass anyway
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

The Astros ended the offseason with 6 hitters who projected to be extremely good and another 2 who performed well as everyday players last season, with their 9th projected everyday hitter being their defensive-minded C who apparently has incredible intangibles in gameplanning and pitcher management.  Their bench projected a competition between 2 of their top 5 prospects for the backup C spot, their previous starting CF who is returning from injury, a utility player who is Dusty Baker’s son’s friend, and a wide open competition for the 13th spot (with Hensley in the pole position based on his playoff performance and versatility).  Prior to Brantley and Altuve getting hurt, any criticism of their position player roster construction was picking nits or whining about the quality of the 12th and 13th guys.  After Brantley and Altuve getting hurt, the pickings to replace them were extremely slim.

The pitching side was similar.  Prior to McCullers getting hurt, they projected 6 effective SP and 7 relievers returning from one of the best bullpens in league history, backed by a deep stable of SP slotted for AAA.  Before McCullers got hurt the worst thing that could be said was that they didn’t have a proven lefty for the pen, but again that’s picking nits.

No team can lose a player of Altuve’s importance without feeling it, so this team very well could be in a division dogfight after 50 games.  But they have the depth and resources to weather it over the long haul.  This team will be fine.

I’d rather give our prospects a chance . We have a lot invested in them 

4 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

I’ll stir the pot, offer chas on a team friendly deal. Check his temperature 

if drew is the future cf. chas is great back up / LF 

Nah. McCormick will hit free agency at 32, and he’s an above average player (and absolutely should be the everyday CF), but nothing more than that. He’s already on the team friendly deal-he’s never going to be expensive, you’re not going to want him beyond his years of team control, and someone will emerge to replace him internally by 2027 if the farm system even has a pulse. He’s a cog, not a piece you build around.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, formermav43 said:

Nah. McCormick will hit free agency at 32, and he’s an above average player (and absolutely should be the everyday CF), but nothing more than that. He’s already on the team friendly deal-he’s never going to be expensive, you’re not going to want him beyond his years of team control, and someone will emerge to replace him internally by 2027 if the farm system even has a pulse. He’s a cog, not a piece you build around.

He’s the everyday player version of Colin McHugh. You look at how baseballs economics  are structured and really feel sorry for those type of guys because in a fair world their production might be worth 80 or 100 M but you know because of the age at arb and FA they are going to make like 25M. Not a bad gig still, but way less than they ought to bc there’s never that big payday. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, uoftorange said:

Not disagreeing with that at all.  But that's more on Dusty not playing anyone over him.  Did anyone else notice how much that conversation went down as Vazquez started to prove himself?  He's a very solid defensive catcher, and he is very involved with the pitching coaches on the game plan.  My sincere believe is that's where this myth comes from.  Nevermind that the pitchers stats haven't really changed when he's not the catcher

That last sentence is what infuriates me with the FO and people around the internet that act like you are a moron if you can’t appreciate St Maldy. Yo dudes, the numbers don’t change for the pitchers when you take Maldy out. It’s not a thing he does (that matters) if it doesn’t move the numbers. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, uoftorange said:

Did anyone else notice how much that conversation went down as Vazquez started to prove himself?

Lulz at prove himself.  The guy had already won a WS as the primary catcher.  But you're right, the team and that fraction of the fan base seemed to think he couldn't be trusted with our pitchers.  Fluky WS no-hitter notwithstanding I guess.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, WBT said:

Lulz at prove himself.  The guy had already won a WS as the primary catcher.  But you're right, the team and that fraction of the fan base seemed to think he couldn't be trusted with our pitchers.  Fluky WS no-hitter notwithstanding I guess.

It is so absurd. Players are stupid about strategic matters (as a general rule) and fans that take their nonsense as gospel eat paint chips. The best part though is the knowing smirk as they act like they know something you are too stupid to know. 

Yeah letting Vazquez walk was a mistake. 3 years, $30 million is extremely reasonable for a good defensive catcher with a serviceable bat. 

For reference, the Astros will pay Maldy $9 million this season, and they paid him $7 million each of the previous 2 seasons.

I believe Maldy “earned” an additional year by playing in a certain number of games in 2022. I guess when his additional year vested, they had to let Vazquez walk or they’d be paying 2 catchers $19 million for this season. Not exactly Astros economics. 

Vazquez wanted more playing time ?

also, we have 3 catching prospects, not going give them a shot ? Astros have a lot of time and money invested in those 3 guys 

if needed, a catcher can be obtained at the deadline 

Edited by tx 3 putt

3 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

It is so absurd. Players are stupid about strategic matters (as a general rule) and fans that take their nonsense as gospel eat paint chips. The best part though is the knowing smirk as they act like they know something you are too stupid to know. 

With absolutely no idea what you look like, I could absolutely visualize that smirk as I read your post. 

Congrats on your very descriptive prose. 😂

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

Damn Wulaw. Your current “smartest guy in the room” roll is a fucking beating. 

Cool. Literally everything I said during the off-season is proving out in real time to have been a mistake. 
And to be clear I still have is winning 100 plus or minus. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, formermav43 said:

Correct. We drafted 3 OFs last year that all project to be better players than Chas. If they are developed correctly, Chas will likely be out of a job before his team control time is over.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Cool. Literally everything I said during the off-season is proving out in real time to have been a mistake. 
And to be clear I still have is winning 100 plus or minus. 

TT only posts to shit on other posters. He will claim he blocks you, but he doesn't.

You and I don't agree on everything, but I find your musings entertaining, and since we are all here for a break from real life. Keep it up.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Correct. We drafted 3 OFs last year that all project to be better players than Chas. If they are developed correctly, Chas will likely be out of a job before his team control time is over.

To be fair, Chas didn’t ever project to be as good as he actually is (which may be part of why he continues to be underrated, I don’t know), and on the other hand,  even top prospects flame out all the time. With so much uncertainty, I’m skeptical that all 3 will be hits. But you don’t really need them ALL to, so I agree in general.

Just now, formermav43 said:

To be fair, Chas didn’t ever project to be as good as he actually is (which may be part of why he continues to be underrated, I don’t know), and on the other hand,  even top prospects flame out all the time. With so much uncertainty, I’m skeptical that all 3 will be hits. But you don’t really need them ALL to, so I agree in general.

Yep, one or two could go the way of Reed or Fisher for sure.

15 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

My prediction is he signs with whoever offers him the most money.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I know Will Smith sucked for us, but damn it that trade isn't paying dividends now:

Yes, I know we would have almost certainly paid Odo's buyout, but it still was a good move and saved us from potentially exercising his option to replace LMJ for the first half. 

Edited by Seasick Sailor

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I know Will Smith sucked for us, but damn it that trade isn't paying dividends now:

Yes, I know we would have almost certainly paid Odo's buyout, but it still was a good move and saved us from potentially exercising his option to replace LMJ for the first half. 

It saved money, too. It paid dividends immediately just to unload him.