2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

If we go 7-2 in our next 9 (A’s @ Milwaukee @ A’s) we will enter Memorial Day on a pace to go win 97 games. 
the expectation around baseball is you should sort of have a good feel for what your team is by Memorial Day. I’d imagine we’d be in first place in our division.  That’d be pretty good. Win the next 3 series and sweep the A’s once. That doesn’t sound like too tall an order. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

If we go 7-2 in our next 9 (A’s @ Milwaukee @ A’s) we will enter Memorial Day on a pace to go win 97 games. 
the expectation around baseball is you should sort of have a good feel for what your team is by Memorial Day. I’d imagine we’d be in first place in our division.  That’d be pretty good. Win the next 3 series and sweep the A’s once. That doesn’t sound like too tall an order. 

But I thought we were doomed to 80-85 wins like others have said

It depends if Brown is willing to make a trade for a first basemen.  He will have not have an attachment to Abreu since he didn't sign him, but he'll have to convince Crane.  It's bad now, but in the playoffs with better pitching Abreu is gonna get eaten alive by inside pitches.

28 minutes ago, kevwun said:

It depends if Brown is willing to make a trade for a first basemen.  He will have not have an attachment to Abreu since he didn't sign him, but he'll have to convince Crane.  It's bad now, but in the playoffs with better pitching Abreu is gonna get eaten alive by inside pitches.

And do what with Abreu?

If Brantley ever makes it back, he’ll probably get some time at 1B. But I doubt they’ll acquire a 1B in 2023. Maybe a defensively versatile guy who can play 1B some, like Diaz could last couple seasons, but I’m not even sure who fits that description. We’re stuck with Abreu for a while. It would be nice if he could just be an average hitter.

Edited by Hank Chinaski

OF - Julks, Tucker, Chas

1b - dubon, 2b - altuve, ss - pena, 3b - bregs, DH- Yordan, c - shoulda kept Vaz, but go with Maldo

don't play Montero.  Go Neris, Pressly, Abreau, Maton. Play the starters through 7 if they are doing well, pitch count to 125 max. 

Edited by Make em eat Taco Bell
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

OF - Julks, Tucker, Chas

1b - dubon, 2b - altuve, ss - pena, 3b - bregs, DH- Yordan, c - shoulda kept Vaz, but go with Maldo

don't play Montero.  Go Neris, Pressly, Abreau, Maton. Play the starters through 7 if they are doing well, pitch count to 125 max. 

Nobody is going to come close to 125 pitches in a start.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Was at game last night during normal recording. Will record and have it up tonight. Thanks for asking!  

can you spoiler tag the link ?

for some reason my browser automatically jumps to your link while scrolling the thread 

Just now, runthebone said:

Um...hopefully that's never.

Hopefully. He signed a ton of items and the buzz there was great. Watching kids get their Altuve card, glove, cap signed was great. Lot of people took Altuve art. Saw him take a second with special need adults. He’s a great ambassador for the Astros 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, rvm96 said:

But I thought we were doomed to 80-85 wins like others have said

Two off-seasons ago a lot of people said the run was over.  I said we were halfway through a 10-year run.  The injuries got us off to a slow start, but I wholeheartedly believe this is a 95+ win team on paper, even without Uncle Mike and LMJ, because I never expected to get much from either. 

I still think the Astros are going to be playing a lot of postseason games.

• Hook 'Em 1

Abreu isn’t going anywhere.  If he continues to be this bad, they’ll add a bat like JD Davis or CJ Cron who can backup 1B/DH/LF during the regular season and replace Abreu in the playoffs; otherwise they may add a C and then Diaz can replace Abreu in the playoffs.  Abreu is going to have to totally and completely suck thru at least June of next season before they just cut him loose.

• Hook 'Em 3

He finishes out the year sucking and I think they'll find another first basemen before next year.  As Wulaw said, it's a sunk cost.  They gain nothing playing someone that bad every day and there's no fixing father time.

Edited by kevwun

9 minutes ago, kevwun said:

He finishes out the year sucking and I think they'll find another first basemen before next year.  As Wulaw said, it's a sunk cost.  They gain nothing playing someone that bad every day and there's no fixing father time.

I might be wrong, but I don't think they're going to pay someone that much to sit. 

32 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I think it's possible that if he finishes the year sucking they bring in an insurance guy or something like that but not a splashy move, and give him the first part of 2024 hoping that it was "an awful season" and he bounces back. At that point in time though I think the rope would be awful short. 

Really what needs to happen is he moves down to 7th in the lineup, the team gets hot and wins 10 of the next 12 and goes into first place, and everyone (including him) can take a deep breath and figure it's all gravy any production from him b/c we "don't need it".

Altuve/Bregman/Alvarez/Tucker/Chas/Pena/Abreu/Diaz/Dubon or Diaz or Dubon (DH), Maldonado.

Maybe they should just make Pena at the 2 hole a month long experimetn

Altuve/Pena/Alvarez/Tucker/Bregman/Chas/Abreu/Diaz/ DH or Maldy.  That's my preferred lineup, probably. 

4 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Montero has been great his last two appearances 

He needs a long break from close and late set up situations. Let him work it out in the 6th innings.

Cloer - Pressley

SU - Abreu

MID Tier 1 - Neris/Maton

Mid Tier 2 - Montero/Stanek

LR - Martinez

1 hour ago, Snake Diggity said:

Abreu isn’t going anywhere.  If he continues to be this bad, they’ll add a bat like JD Davis or CJ Cron who can backup 1B/DH/LF during the regular season and replace Abreu in the playoffs; otherwise they may add a C and then Diaz can replace Abreu in the playoffs.  Abreu is going to have to totally and completely suck thru at least June of next season before they just cut him loose.

J.D Davis would be like adding Castro. He's a great guy to add, I'd give up Meyers for him today.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

He needs a long break from close and late set up situations. Let him work it out in the 6th innings.

Cloer - Pressley

SU - Abreu

MID Tier 1 - Neris/Maton

LR - Martinez

It’s a constantly juggling act 

3 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Surly 2017 and 2018 Astros thread very likely hated Davis. Can we over come those deep rooted feelings ?

If he hits like non-Astros J.D. Davis, of course, he would be replacing literally the worst player in the majors, so even his Astros level production would be an improvement.

53 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Cloer - Pressley

SU - Abreu

MID Tier 1 - Neris/Maton

LR - Martinez

Missing reliever spot/guy that doesn't have a job. I'd ideally like to see Whitley called up or France moved there after LMJ gets healthy. Both those guys (I believe- but I know Whitley for sure) are out of options next year so you need to make a decision on if they are likely to be on the team or if you essentially have to trade them this summer or let them walk with no compensation coming back.  If either of them performs I guess I wouldn't mind seeing Stanek moved at the deadline- he's surplus and it was very clear last year in the playoffs.  But, he's also pretty good.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Stanek walks too many but is still pretty good.  I got him being low in the pecking order last playoffs but I think they went a little overboard and should have mixed in Stanek and Brown to avoid overexposing the main guys.  Obviously it all worked out.  Stanek's flukish ERA last year made him the Poochie (where's Stanek? where's Stanek?)  of last year's playoff thread.  Him coming back to earth early this year will at least avoid that.

f Thursdays

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

If he hits like non-Astros J.D. Davis, of course, he would be replacing literally the worst player in the majors, so even his Astros level production would be an improvement.

One bad game, maybe one bad at bat and we’d be forced to throw him to the dogs !